Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chaosfeather posted:

Ideally I'd like to start buying parts sooner rather than later, as I don't know when this machine will finally die. Is it better to buy everything at once or piecemeal once I figure out which parts I am going to buy? Any other general newbie advice, like where to get the special cooling adhesive that I need for one of the parts (I think it's for the CPU?)

It's better to buy everything more or less at once, so that if anything is DOA you figure it out while you're in the return window. That's kinda difficult just now as People in countries with stronger consumer protection laws can ignore this.

The thermal paste (*not* an adhesive) comes with the cooler. Some coolers have a square of goop pre-applied on the bottom of the cooler. Others come with a tiny one-use syringe or packet. The deepcool gammax is the latter. So you don't need to get any extra paste for the first assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Klyith posted:

It's better to buy everything more or less at once, so that if anything is DOA you figure it out while you're in the return window. That's kinda difficult just now as People in countries with stronger consumer protection laws can ignore this.

The thermal paste (*not* an adhesive) comes with the cooler. Some coolers have a square of goop pre-applied on the bottom of the cooler. Others come with a tiny one-use syringe or packet. The deepcool gammax is the latter. So you don't need to get any extra paste for the first assembly.

Oh okay! Thank you so much for the answers and clarification! So the go-to plan is to wait until mid-week to make sure things are available and buy it all at once. I'll see if I can wait a small spell because I think I read that prices have gone up due to demand recently but I'm not sure the situation will improve before this computer kicks it. Is there a best day to shop for these parts?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 23, 2020

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Chaosfeather posted:

Oh okay! Thank you so much for the answers and clarification!

One thing I would say, since the 3300X in Klyith's list is just available from B&H for pre-order right now (and I guess from a scalper on Amazon), the return window wouldn't start until the item is actually shipped (or at least I would think, I'm not a lawyer). You could buy that now and wait a bit to see if there's better availability for other parts, like the motherboard and PSU, when it gets closer to the ship date.

E: In response to your edit, I think there is a day of the week Newegg typically restocks and there's a short window where you can find the usually recommended PSUs before they're all gone. I thought someone said Wednesday before but I did see a Corsair RM for a split second on Friday, which would be a crazy pick-up along with an EVGA G1/2/3 or Seasonic Focus PSU. Honestly, with how 80+ naming conventions work, the PSU supply lottery essentially is a gacha game IRL :v:

demostars fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 23, 2020

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Question about fans:

My motherboard only has 2 fan headers, one for CPU and one for case. I am using an AIO watercooler that itself will take up 2 headers (one for pump and one for fan,) and one case fan needing a third. The pump only uses a 3 pin plug, implying it should be running full power all the time.

I am going to be getting a noctua splitter that will let me have 2 fans using a single header, and presumably both would be running at the same speed regulated by the motherboard.

The question I have, is should I have these 2 fans (the one on the CPU + the one for the overall case) regulated with the CPU header or the Case fan header?

Additionally, should I maybe put the CPU fan + pump on the same CPU header, even though this might lead to the pump operating at less than full speed?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

demostars posted:

One thing I would say, since the 3300X in Klyith's list is just available from B&H for pre-order right now (and I guess from a scalper on Amazon),

Doof I didn't look to see if those are actually in stores yet. Reviews are out and in the before-time they usually timed review embargos and availability for the same time.

Chaosfeather if you can wait for the 3300x that's going to be a great budget CPU. You might look at some basic maintenance on your current PC if it's having problems. Dust it out if heatsinks or intakes are clogged, upgrade to win10 if the OS is shaky (win10 is still free if you manually install).

Mistikman posted:

Question about fans:

My motherboard only has 2 fan headers, one for CPU and one for case. I am using an AIO watercooler that itself will take up 2 headers (one for pump and one for fan,) and one case fan needing a third. The pump only uses a 3 pin plug, implying it should be running full power all the time.

I am going to be getting a noctua splitter that will let me have 2 fans using a single header, and presumably both would be running at the same speed regulated by the motherboard.

The question I have, is should I have these 2 fans (the one on the CPU + the one for the overall case) regulated with the CPU header or the Case fan header?

Additionally, should I maybe put the CPU fan + pump on the same CPU header, even though this might lead to the pump operating at less than full speed?

Probably you should just use a Molex or Sata -> 3pin adapter to connect the pump to the PSU, with no speed control. Pumps generally draw more power than normal fans which is why mobos have a special pump header, which are set up for high amps. The AIO might include one.

You may be able to run the fan and the pump off one header, but you need to look up the combined power draw of the pump + fan vs your mobo's specs for power to the fan headers. (A fan header that supplies 1 amp is the general standard, maybe your mobo specifies more.)

Putting a PWM fan and the 3-pin pump* on the same splitter, and running that header in PWM mode, will run the pump at full speed all the time. In PWM mode the voltage wire always supplies +12V and the PWM signal tells a control circuit on the motor to rapidly turn on and off.

*or 3pin fan

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 24, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

i must compose posted:

Hey! Thanks to everybody's help here building my PC, my wife's cousin wants help building a new PC. Really all it needs to be able to do is be a decent office PC with HDMI output. Just for checking email, web browsing, and watching streaming stuff. No GPU necessary, and I'll probably buy them a USB WiFi adapter. Any suggestions? Everything I search for seems to be more geared towards people building PCs for gaming. For reference, she has a PC from 2008 so anything will probably be a huge upgrade.

What's her budget? She might benefit from just getting a prebuilt, like this Dell Inspiron, which also has WiFi built in already (albeit 802.11bgn, but from the sound of it your cousin won't really benefit 802.11ac anyway). I'm also assuming she won't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse.

Here's something I put together if she really wants to build instead of going prebuilt. This might be a foolish exercise because I don't know her budget:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec VSK10 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($77.81 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $443.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 20:39 EDT-0400

I chose the be quiet! PSU because it has a 5-year warranty mostly. Other in-stock 80+ Bronze and Gold PSUs in the same price range only had 3-year.

The RAM was the cheapest I could find on the QVL list in a reasonable amount of time (going through those are the longest part of parting out a build ime).

I think/hope the motherboard should be good. MSI is still solid (I think?) and the reviews were mostly good.

Added the WiFi adapter so you don't have to use up a USB slot. I also chose this one based on the many 5-star reviews, telling me a lot of people used it successfully.

Edit: Get Windows (and Office, if necessary) keys from this trustworthy goon.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 24, 2020

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

Klyith posted:

Probably you should just use a Molex or Sata -> 3pin adapter to connect the pump to the PSU, with no speed control. Pumps generally draw more power than normal fans which is why mobos have a special pump header, which are set up for high amps. The AIO might include one.

You may be able to run the fan and the pump off one header, but you need to look up the combined power draw of the pump + fan vs your mobo's specs for power to the fan headers. (A fan header that supplies 1 amp is the general standard, maybe your mobo specifies more.)

Putting a PWM fan and the 3-pin pump* on the same splitter, and running that header in PWM mode, will run the pump at full speed all the time. In PWM mode the voltage wire always supplies +12V and the PWM signal tells a control circuit on the motor to rapidly turn on and off.

*or 3pin fan

Thanks for the info.

Bummer that I didn't really think to check this before I pulled the trigger on the mobo. If I wanted for the ASUS board to come in stock at a reasonable price, none of this would be an issue, as it has 3 fan headers, one of which is specified for an AIO. I didn't realize that the speed regulation happened on the fan side, and not on the motherboard side, so I will try running both the AIO pump and fan on the same header with the splitter, and monitor CPU temps to see if it's providing adequate cooling or not, and if not I will grab an adapter to get the pump hooked directly to the power supply.

There are a couple annoying little things about this board that aren't an issue with the ASUS board, but the ASUS board is about $50 more and I haven't seen it in stock once in the last month at normal MSRP.

I'll make do with my Gigabyte though.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So what are ya'lls thoughts on the Thermaltake Tower 900? I understand why some people find it obscene but I'm completely in love with it. It's the most gorgeous case I've ever seen! lol Seriously thinking about getting it for the PC I'm building...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamie Faith posted:

So what are ya'lls thoughts on the Thermaltake Tower 900? I understand why some people find it obscene but I'm completely in love with it. It's the most gorgeous case I've ever seen! lol Seriously thinking about getting it for the PC I'm building...

Linking so others can see: https://www.thermaltake.com/C_00002974.htm?id=C_00002974

It’s personally not my taste. Too much of a chonk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's a weird looking 3d printer. Where's the hotend?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
My only objection is that if you're not watercooling it (probably with a custom loop), it's actually a very lovely case compared to a Lian Li O11 Dynamic. The front glass enclosure has mediocre ventilation because you're supposed to use huge radiators on the back side.

And then if you're buying a $300 case the size of a mini-fridge, plus several hundred dollars in custom loop parts, a GPU that either comes with a waterblock or has a waterblock available, and you don't put a similarly-ridiculous threadripper or other high-end machine in it, it's kinda a waste. And buying a HEDT system if you're not a professional workstation user or a youtube tech personality is dumb.

But, all that said, get what you like. If someone was making a high-quality case that was also an ATX size replica of the connection machine CM-5, I'd be really tempted to burn money on it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Klyith posted:

buying a HEDT system if you're not a professional workstation user or a youtube tech personality is dumb.

I would be doing a lot of hardcore editing and rendering as well as game design stuff.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Jamie Faith posted:

I would be doing a lot of hardcore editing and rendering as well as game design stuff.

It sounds like you're at least one of those two categories then! A Threadripper build in that case would be pretty cool, but expect to spend upwards of ~$4K for something like that, especially with building a custom loop. Unless you weren't planning on doing a custom loop, in which case there's only a couple good TR4 CLCs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X8qhP6/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360-rgb-tr4-edition-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlx-d36m-a20pc-t1
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Pvdrxr/thermaltake-floe-riing-rgb-360-tr4-edition-5442-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cl-w235-pl12sw-a

There are others that will fit the socket, but not fully cover the IHS. There's also the Enermax coolers, but don't buy those unless you want it to get gunked up after a year of use.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

MikeC posted:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS/E15235_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf This says A2 and B2.

Other than that everything looks fine. Covering the mobo fan isn't an issue. Use the top slot.

That's... not what I think the layout says? Are you SURE I have them in A2 and B2?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

You have them in A1/B1, but the manual recommends A2/B2

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

SL the Pyro posted:

That's... not what I think the layout says? Are you SURE I have them in A2 and B2?

I have the same board, you want the gray slots not the black.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Super Librarian posted:

You have them in A1/B1, but the manual recommends A2/B2

jzilla posted:

I have the same board, you want the gray slots not the black.
:cripes: Oh my god, I misread MikeC's first post about it. Serves me right for posting while sleep-deprived.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 24, 2020

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Can I mix and match DDR4 with different CAS latencies on a Ryzen 3600 system? I'm in dire need of a home lab to run some VMs and I have 2/4 slots open on my mobo (I'm upgrading my gaming rig for this), but the ram I got last year is almost twice as much for the same model as it was then.

Also, do PSUs exist for sale anywhere at the moment? I'm also upgrading my CPU to either the 3800x or 3900x and I don't really have the headroom for 50 additional watts with my current power supply. (I cut it really close to save money.)

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

Corsair makes excellent power supplies, and you can order directly from them. You can order now and it will be shipped out within a week or two.

I got my SF600 that way at the normal price, shipped after about a week.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mistikman posted:

Corsair makes excellent power supplies, and you can order directly from them. You can order now and it will be shipped out within a week or two.

That's good to hear. I got me a Corsair 80+ Gold PSU for my build.

Thanks to the people who helped a few pages back. Decided that a 5700XT has too much performance gain for the price compared to nVidia that it's worth the risk. Did some research and seems to be fixed now, and a fresh build helps. Also decided to spring for an LG27GL850 as the reviews are pretty great.
I've never had a computer / monitor this nice, so it'll be interesting to see. Building a custom desk as well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gnumonic posted:

Can I mix and match DDR4 with different CAS latencies on a Ryzen 3600 system?

Sure, that's possible in any system. However, you cannot run your memory at different speeds or timings, so you'll just have to run it at the speed + latency of the worst RAM in your system

vv That's sadly also a possibility

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or possibly even at lower speeds/higher latency depending on the board/RAM, since you're running 4 sticks now.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Is the cost of getting anything above a 1660 Super really worth it if I’m doing 1080p gaming with a little light VR? Local stores only have that in stock but is that just because people want to burn money? It’s either buying one now and being impatient, or waiting like 2 weeks and spending 80% more for maybe 30% more speed on a 2060 super, when I know I can get a New Shiny card this fall anyways?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jimmy Carter posted:

Is the cost of getting anything above a 1660 Super really worth it if I’m doing 1080p gaming with a little light VR? Local stores only have that in stock but is that just because people want to burn money? It’s either buying one now and being impatient, or waiting like 2 weeks and spending 80% more for maybe 30% more speed on a 2060 super, when I know I can get a New Shiny card this fall anyways?

I don't understand what "light VR" means. Is there a target game and FPS you are looking for?

In general, unless there is something you want to play that you cannot because of specs, or are playing right now and you are finding performance to be unacceptable, it is always better to wait. A new generation of high powered GPUs in Q3 or Q4 this year isn't going to help the person who wants to play RDR 2 *right now*. Similarly if you are waiting for Cyberpunk and want raytracing then buying RTX right now makes absolutely 0 sense.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

MikeC posted:

Similarly if you are waiting for Cyberpunk and want raytracing then buying RTX right now makes absolutely 0 sense.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I do plan to play that down the line.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cheap Shot posted:

Q3 and Q4 should see the release of Ampere and RDNA 2. According to numerous leaks, these next gen cards will have much better ray tracing support than the existing RTX lineup which basically has paper support for raytracing since they tank performance so hard that it becomes unusable. Leakers are saying that Nvidia's next gen cards will have 4x the current ray-tracing power that the current lineup has. AMD is powering both nextgen consoles which will have built-in ray tracing support based on RDNA 2 so the next gen AMD cards should also competently support ray tracing in games.

Buying any RTX 2000 series GPU now so that you can have raytracing down the line will be a huge mistake if ray tracing is a feature that you demand in the future.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

efb

Cheap Shot posted:

We're expecting new RTX cards to be announced and released later this year - when they drop, the latest 20xx series will be an older generation and likely see price cuts. This combined with the fact that 1) the 20xx series isn't a huge leap in performance from a 1660 Super for how much you pay for one, and 2) speculation/expectation is that the new cards to actually be a sizeable leap in performance, it makes the 20xx series a bad buy if you're really focused on a game that isn't even out yet and a technology that's only existed for a single generation of GPUs.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Ah I see thank you.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

MikeC posted:

I don't understand what "light VR" means. Is there a target game and FPS you are looking for?

Mostly X-Plane, because I got an eGPU enclosure and an HP VR heaset for virtually nothing. I haven't heard much about if/when the new MS Flight Sim will have real VR support. They say it's on their roadmap but who knows.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Mistikman posted:

You, goon sir, are a hero. I spent ~4 hours looking for somewhere that had something in stock and came up empty, just ordered a CX650M. Woulda gone for a nicer PSU but their stock was kinda thin, and since the only alternative was a mystery brand PSU on ebay....

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

i must compose posted:

Hey! Thanks to everybody's help here building my PC, my wife's cousin wants help building a new PC. Really all it needs to be able to do is be a decent office PC with HDMI output. Just for checking email, web browsing, and watching streaming stuff. No GPU necessary, and I'll probably buy them a USB WiFi adapter. Any suggestions? Everything I search for seems to be more geared towards people building PCs for gaming. For reference, she has a PC from 2008 so anything will probably be a huge upgrade.

desk mini a300? Should be able to get the desk mini, 3200g, 16gb 3200mhz sodimms and a 1tb ssd for right around 400.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jimmy Carter posted:

Mostly X-Plane, because I got an eGPU enclosure and an HP VR heaset for virtually nothing. I haven't heard much about if/when the new MS Flight Sim will have real VR support. They say it's on their roadmap but who knows.

Quick googling says that X-plane VR can be done with relatively low system requirements but there is a hoard of scaling options depending on quality and FPS. The 1660 super will be adequate for VR in that game at some level. Whether the FPS it can pump out at whatever in-game setting you want it at is entirely a different matter.

For what its worth, the "recommended" specs is a GTX 1070 which is faster by about 10% compared to a 1660 super. Random internet post said that a regular 1060 generated a "playable" experience for them with settings turn down. You didn't post your existing video card so I don't know how much a 1660 super would be an upgrade for you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Canna Happy posted:

desk mini a300? Should be able to get the desk mini, 3200g, 16gb 3200mhz sodimms and a 1tb ssd for right around 400.

It's a better deal than Intel NUCs, but for a normal person who doesn't care about the CPU/iGPU power I think I'd rather do the intel one. Especially if I'm the tech support as well.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

demostars posted:

It sounds like you're at least one of those two categories then! A Threadripper build in that case would be pretty cool, but expect to spend upwards of ~$4K for something like that, especially with building a custom loop. Unless you weren't planning on doing a custom loop, in which case there's only a couple good TR4 CLCs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X8qhP6/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360-rgb-tr4-edition-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlx-d36m-a20pc-t1
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Pvdrxr/thermaltake-floe-riing-rgb-360-tr4-edition-5442-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cl-w235-pl12sw-a

There are others that will fit the socket, but not fully cover the IHS. There's also the Enermax coolers, but don't buy those unless you want it to get gunked up after a year of use.

Thanks for the advice!

Anyway, yeah, I'm building a PC for multiple reasons. I want an extremely powerful PC to do video editing for my youtube channel. (many of my videos would be several hours long so I'd want something that's very good/fast at rendering)

I'm also designing my own game using Unreal Engine 4. (I also make mods for games as well)

Then on top of that, I also want a killer gaming computer. I'm told some parts are better suited to things like video editing than gaming (and vice versa) so ideally I'd like something that does both very well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jamie Faith posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Anyway, yeah, I'm building a PC for multiple reasons. I want an extremely powerful PC to do video editing for my youtube channel. (many of my videos would be several hours long so I'd want something that's very good/fast at rendering)

I'm also designing my own game using Unreal Engine 4. (I also make mods for games as well)

Then on top of that, I also want a killer gaming computer. I'm told some parts are better suited to things like video editing than gaming (and vice versa) so ideally I'd like something that does both very well.

Did you say what your budget for this thing is?

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Got everything lined up except my cooler. Trying to get a Scythe Mugen 5 -- mostly out of stock everywhere, except at Amazon for $$$.

Is it questionable to buy these things new off Ebay? Can I easily determine that this is the real thing and not used or counterfeit

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ohio State BOOniversity posted:

Got everything lined up except my cooler. Trying to get a Scythe Mugen 5 -- mostly out of stock everywhere, except at Amazon for $$$.

Is it questionable to buy these things new off Ebay? Can I easily determine that this is the real thing and not used or counterfeit

Looks like the ebay listings start at $50 + $30 shipping which removes the main good point of the cooler, the sub-$50 price. The Mugen isn't a holy grail heatsink, it's just better than the cheap coolers and cheaper than noctuas. For the CPU most people ITT are buying (3600), a Mugen has enough capacity and the bigger, more expensive noctuas don't really do any better.

So if you have the $80 for a Mugen on ebay, just get the noctua U12S or U14S instead.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

I've revived my old PC! :science:

The solution ended up being to clear the CMOS (the ASRock z87 Extreme4 even has a handy little button on the board to do it). I was not aware that a CMOS/BIOS gently caress-up would prevent the Mobo from powering on at all, and the notion sounded so patently stupid to me that I did not think to try it until I finally got desperate enough.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

ElehemEare posted:

Perhaps I am cynical because I am currently flashing the BIOS on a twelve hour old motherboard for the 13th time to see if I can get one single POST out of this 3700x before I box it and the mobo back up and exchange them for Intel analogs, but, I’d probably bench test things before you fall out of any return windows.

To close the loop: CPU was DOA, they couldn’t get it post in a B450 or X570. Going to pick it up this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
My hard drive finally failed on my i5-2500k-based system so I figured I'd take the opportunity to make some simple upgrades. Just asking for a quick sanity check - already have the psu and GPU. Mostly general use and some 1080p gaming, and if I decide to upgrade my monitor down the line will likely grab a new gpu to match.

Prices are all Canadian.

Thank you friends!