Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Yes, I too work in extreme black and white.

My point is is that y'all are circle-jerking about motivations of cartoon characters invented by two literal crazy people and written to appeal to stoners. For gently caress's sake, if you want to obtain meaning from sci-fi, go watch Star Trek or Black Mirror or something. But plumbing the depths Rick and Morty will leave you dragging the bottom of the metaphorical creek.

lets not pretend black mirror is more highbrow or thought provoking than rick & morty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i watched “tales from the loop” recently and it was supposed to be a highbrow thought provoking scifi anthology, and one of the episodes was about a girl who invents a machine that stops time. she uses it to cheat on her boyfriend and the story ends with nothing at all happening with the time stop machine. nobody gets stuck in the stopped time, nothing gets changed by its use. it has no purpose in the plot at all. so, if u ask me, rick & morty is genuinely good scifi because i can trust them to do creative things with boilerplate scifi concepts. if rick and morty had the time stopping device it would probably have an i am legend parody with jerry stuck in stopped time slowly losing his mind, and rick might use a second time stop device while already in the stopped time with an explicit clockstoppers callout. my point is that rick & morty might be derivative at times but it is far from bottom-barrel scifi

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
by the way do NOT watch tales from the loop

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

Y'all are a big pile of bummers in this thread.

This is a loving science fiction cartoon for Christ's sake, just enjoy it or stop watching! Also what kind of mental defectives try to extract meaning and lessons from a 22 minute cartoon? Next you're gonna start deconstructing Tom and Jerry as a metaphor for marriage or some other garbage thing.

I find the implication that I can't ask questions and still enjoy things extremely condescending :smug:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really liked this one. Dense, funny, and it was refreshing to see Rick come up against an alien entity that he couldn't trivially clown on. The Summer and Morty sub-plot was absolutely my favourite, "Jesus, Summer, you've been huffing brake fluid" is a fantastic joke.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i hate how the pseudo-speculation about rick being a devout catholic made me hyper-aware of rick's comments about "the real god" in this episode

Also, yeah, the Morty and Summer subplot was fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick and Beth’s perfect utilitarian society being an amalgam of different historic Sci-Fi hellscapes like The Matrix was extremely funny to me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Rick and Beth’s perfect utilitarian society being an amalgam of different historic Sci-Fi hellscapes like The Matrix was extremely funny to me.

Low-key funniest part: along with the various classic sci-fi things being homaged, it was also paying "tribute" to Mars Needs Moms, which has an identical citizen sorting system except the men are the ones fired out into the backwoods garbage dump.

...which come to think of it, makes it the second time Rick & Morty has riffed on Mars Needs Moms? Huh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mycomancy posted:

Yes, I too work in extreme black and white.

My point is is that y'all are circle-jerking about motivations of cartoon characters invented by two literal crazy people and written to appeal to stoners. For gently caress's sake, if you want to obtain meaning from sci-fi, go watch Star Trek or Black Mirror or something. But plumbing the depths Rick and Morty will leave you dragging the bottom of the metaphorical creek.

Let people get their jush however they want. If you don't like the discussion about this particular TV show in a TV subforum, leave the thread?

I have no problems with people who don't enjoy a show joining the debate, or who don't see what other people see in a particular show, but your last few posts have been condescending as gently caress and unfortunately for you-- and most importantly!-- they're not funny. But I'm lookin' good and feelin' fine today so I'm just going to give you a warning. Quit while you're ahead.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

i watched “tales from the loop” recently and it was supposed to be a highbrow thought provoking scifi anthology, and one of the episodes was about a girl who invents a machine that stops time. she uses it to cheat on her boyfriend and the story ends with nothing at all happening with the time stop machine. nobody gets stuck in the stopped time, nothing gets changed by its use. it has no purpose in the plot at all. so, if u ask me, rick & morty is genuinely good scifi because i can trust them to do creative things with boilerplate scifi concepts. if rick and morty had the time stopping device it would probably have an i am legend parody with jerry stuck in stopped time slowly losing his mind, and rick might use a second time stop device while already in the stopped time with an explicit clockstoppers callout. my point is that rick & morty might be derivative at times but it is far from bottom-barrel scifi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwTK0qdpPA

iron buns fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Low-key funniest part: along with the various classic sci-fi things being homaged, it was also paying "tribute" to Mars Needs Moms, which has an identical citizen sorting system except the men are the ones fired out into the backwoods garbage dump.

...which come to think of it, makes it the second time Rick & Morty has riffed on Mars Needs Moms? Huh.

Never heard of Mars Needs Moms. I assume they just accidentally ran into its concept when they grafted gender stuff onto their Zardoz parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuK_KJTRyg

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Edit:

Weird as poo poo. I never expected sexy planets... but that's definitely the sort of thing that would titillate Rick.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 25, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The giant tube sorting complex over a constant source of new life washing in is similar to the later stages of our own Zack Parson's novel Liminal States - worth checking out if you want to see that particular aspect of this episode played out elsewhere, and also it's a generally great book.

Dragonstoned posted:

I read somewhere that he was supposed to be working on a set of episodes and then decided to make it in to the doomstar requiem instead but didn't bother to tell AS about any of it and then he just gave them that instead the episodes they were expecting. This hosed up AS's planned schedule immensely because now instead of a few weeks worth of content they have a single special (that can't be split up into episodes like the Futurama movies) and they were extremely pissed.
I think that might have got telephoned from the version I heard. To my understanding (also read from some random thread I can't source), they agreed to let him produce a longform rock opera but when the rough material started coming back the suits went "Whoah, whoah, whoah, you're not leaving breaks for commercials". Brendon came back that that's not what they agreed to and refused to rework it. So now Adult Swim has this program that culminates a four-season show they can't rerun unless they find somebody willing to underwrite the missing income.

Also, for something I can source, in the Venture Brothers oral history book the creators put out a couple years ago they talk about how Mike Lazzo initially shot down the pitch for their hour-long special, All This and Gargantua-2, because he wanted something standalone that he could promote to a broad audience (they went on to produce it as the premiere for the next season and Adult Swim changed their mind, but kept jerking them around about where in their contract they were paying for it to the point they wrote their penultimate scripts fairly certain they had two more to go - and had to finish that season at the beginning of the next). I've never heard Doomstar Requiem had the same problem, but it was around the same time and similarly inaccessible to new viewers so that had to play a part.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 25, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Oh since maybe some people in this thread won't know, at one point Adult Swim put up a fax number for a Save Metalocalypse campaign with a livestream of the receiving machine and what people were sending. Every sheet fell directly into a trash can.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Daikloktos posted:

Oh since maybe some people in this thread won't know, at one point Adult Swim put up a fax number for a Save Metalocalypse campaign with a livestream of the receiving machine and what people were sending. Every sheet fell directly into a trash can.

lmao

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

scary ghost dog posted:

by the way do NOT watch tales from the loop

Or, by way of another option, DO watch it. It has some nice things going on in it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I liked Tales from the Loop but it is not a show that's trying to portray morals or anything. It's thought experiments into weird concepts over story.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

The giant tube sorting complex over a constant source of new life washing in is similar to the later stages of our own Zack Parson's novel Liminal States - worth checking out if you want to see that particular aspect of this episode played out elsewhere, and also it's a generally great book.
I think that might have got telephoned from the version I heard. To my understanding (also read from some random thread I can't source), they agreed to let him produce a longform rock opera but when the rough material started coming back the suits went "Whoah, whoah, whoah, you're not leaving breaks for commercials". Brendon came back that that's not what they agreed to and refused to rework it. So now Adult Swim has this program that culminates a four-season show they can't rerun unless they find somebody willing to underwrite the missing income.

Also, for something I can source, in the Venture Brothers oral history book the creators put out a couple years ago they talk about how Mike Lazzo initially shot down the pitch for their hour-long special, All This and Gargantua-2, because he wanted something standalone that he could promote to a broad audience (they went on to produce it as the premiere for the next season and Adult Swim changed their mind, but kept jerking them around about where in their contract they were paying for it to the point they wrote their penultimate scripts fairly certain they had two more to go - and had to finish that season at the beginning of the next). I've never heard Doomstar Requiem had the same problem, but it was around the same time and similarly inaccessible to new viewers so that had to play a part.

Weird they're so respectful of his vision for the rock opera instead of just going "OK well we'll jam the commercials in wherever the gently caress we feel like it then."

Like movies on TBS didn't have space for commercials put into them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

Weird they're so respectful of his vision for the rock opera instead of just going "OK well we'll jam the commercials in wherever the gently caress we feel like it then."

Like movies on TBS didn't have space for commercials put into them.

It wasn't that they didn't want to put in commercials, it was that they couldn't break it up into individual episodes. Adult swim shows are 11-21 minutes long. Adult Swim assumed they were getting episodes they could air over several weeks, not one episode that would have to be aired over one night.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Has anyone who works on the show expressed regret for the uncritical Elon Musk cameo (Elon TUSK?!?!? LMAO!!!!) now that Elon has gone full death-cultist and is murdering his workers?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The planet episode was decent but watching it back to back with the amazing Acid Vat episode really did take the shine off it.
It's a shame there's already only one episode left. i wonder how big the gap between this and the next bunch is going to be?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

It wasn't that they didn't want to put in commercials, it was that they couldn't break it up into individual episodes. Adult swim shows are 11-21 minutes long. Adult Swim assumed they were getting episodes they could air over several weeks, not one episode that would have to be aired over one night.

That's not what Daikloktos' post that I was responding to says.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Has anyone who works on the show expressed regret for the uncritical Elon Musk cameo (Elon TUSK?!?!? LMAO!!!!) now that Elon has gone full death-cultist and is murdering his workers?

I'm kind of blindly assuming that nobody but Roiland and Harmon wanted him there, and feel the same about the cameo now as they did when producing it. Mostly going off other episodes in the same batch explicitly telling nazis and Jordan Peterson fans to gently caress right off.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

scary ghost dog posted:

Godamn I completely forgot about that movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The best time stop plotline I know of is from the 1980s version of the Twilight Zone. In it, a stay at home mother gets a device to stop time whenever and she uses it to get all her chores done and to finally have some 'me time', all the sorts of things a busy mother doesn't have time for. It's kind of like a sitcom in tone, up until the end of the episode when everything suddenly goes off the rails. Thermonuclear war breaks out and she's able to stop time just as a Soviet ICBM is about to explode over her city. She's forever stuck in limbo as the world around her is seconds away from oblivion. It's a great twist for what had been a lighthearted episode up until then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On rewatch of this episode, Beth turning nerds into playwrights by bludgeoning them with a stick labeled “DRAMA” makes me feel incredibly seen.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

There was a movie that came out when I was like, 7 called “The Girl The Gold Watch and Everything” that had a guy who gets a watch that can stop time. The only thing I clearly remember about it is he stops time just as a bullet leaves a gun, so he turns the bullet and restarts time and it shoots off sideways. Even as a little kid I remember thinking that wouldn’t work. I had not thought about that in years but all these posting about time stopping reminded me about it.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Taear posted:

The planet episode was decent but watching it back to back with the amazing Acid Vat episode really did take the shine off it.
It's a shame there's already only one episode left. i wonder how big the gap between this and the next bunch is going to be?

It felt like I was watching a plot line from season 2 or 3 over again. Vat of Acid was definitely more fun.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I liked Tales from the Loop but it is not a show that's trying to portray morals or anything. It's thought experiments into weird concepts over story.

there are no thought experiments or weird concepts, its hack scifi plotting that exists only to embellish hack drama plotting. it was intentionally written to go nowhere. the writer said that he thinks weird things happening to characters makes them less relatable so he tried to make as few weird things happen as possible and focused instead on garbage tier soap opera and nickelodeon style drama

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thought experiment: what if two people swapped bodies and one of them was better off so the other didnt want to swap back. actually im pretty sure this was a goosebumps book

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So next episode we'll be getting Kanye?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

scary ghost dog posted:

thought experiment: what if two people swapped bodies and one of them was better off so the other didnt want to swap back. actually im pretty sure this was a goosebumps book

I agree with you that it's funny to say 'R&M is for kids, watch Tales from the Loop' when in fact R&M is a lot more mature in its treatment of sci-fi concepts in that it assumes that the viewer is already familiar with them and expects them to be used in a novel manner.

People can say whatever they want about this being a cartoon for stoner children, which it might be, but it also respects these stoner children more than most serious sci-fi shows in that it assumes that they watched sci-fi before.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I agree with you that it's funny to say 'R&M is for kids, watch Tales from the Loop' when in fact R&M is a lot more mature in its treatment of sci-fi concepts in that it assumes that the viewer is already familiar with them and expects them to be used in a novel manner.

People can say whatever they want about this being a cartoon for stoner children, which it might be, but it also respects these stoner children more than most serious sci-fi shows in that it assumes that they watched sci-fi before.

i thought i was losing my mind watching tales from the loop because every single plot element was a cliche from the previous century with all the interesting parts sanded off. meanwhile rick & morty is out here having episodes where characters gently caress planets and fly spaceships into zeuses. not trying to say that all scifi should be as wild as r&m but for gods sake at least have something unusual happen in your lovely tv show for morons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

scary ghost dog posted:

i thought i was losing my mind watching tales from the loop because every single plot element was a cliche from the previous century with all the interesting parts sanded off. meanwhile rick & morty is out here having episodes where characters gently caress planets and fly spaceships into zeuses. not trying to say that all scifi should be as wild as r&m but for gods sake at least have something unusual happen in your lovely tv show for morons

Even the sci-fi for little kids tries to at least do something interesting with the ideas most of the time.

Might be something to be said about how Jerry's anprim cult preaches to people who've literally been rejected by society and have no one else to turn to who values them at all.

Also, another time Beth is assisting Rick with his morally dubious mad science- and an interesting case given while Rick basically treats Morty as a drag-along assistant who can maybe be trusted to follow basic instructions and Summer as basically there for kicks (Of course, he's prone to doing the boomer thing where he refuses to teach or explain things to them and then yells at them for not knowing things only he could have taught them) while Beth is actually treated as his apprentice, getting involved with the super-science and being taught how to do it.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 26, 2020

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The only thing I clearly remember about it is he stops time just as a bullet leaves a gun, so he turns the bullet and restarts time and it shoots off sideways. Even as a little kid I remember thinking that wouldn’t work. I had not thought about that in years but all these posting about time stopping reminded me about it.

The (first? Did they make more?) Tomb Raider movie also did that, with a throwing knife. At least it showed her hands being hosed up turning it around, plus you were so numb to the stupid by that point it barely registered.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lol, why are people making GBS threads on Tales from the Loop in the Rick and Morty thread? I cannot imagine two more different shows trying to do two more different things.

Tales from the Loop isn't even sci-fi, and it's not trying to be. It's contemplative fairy tales that use a dusting of equal parts sci-fi and 80s rural aesthetics to make simple ideas have a different feeling than if they'd been done straightforward. It's about dealing with growing up and people dying and feeling sad. It's not about "concepts".

There's an episode where a spooky sci-fi sphere reminds a kid that his beloved grandfather is probably going to die soon and he spends the whole episode in denial, wondering if some sci-fi nonsense can save him and generally being very sad, and eventually the grandfather dies, and everyone has to deal with it. No twist, no sci-fi concept being explored at all. Just a kid feeling things about his grandfather dying. This takes a full hour to slowly unfold.

This didn't happen by accident. They didn't write that episode and then think at the end "oh gently caress, we forgot to do mind-bending sci-fi here, oh well." That was clearly never the goal. If there's anything that resembles mind-bending sci-fi in other episodes it's entirely incidental to basically just sitting there and slowly feeling a human emotion for an hour. That's what the show is about.

If sitting and thinking about how something feels for an hour doesn't strike you as entertaining, by all means, don't watch Tales from the Loop. It's not terribly exciting. But it's also just completely not even in the same genre as this show so I don't know what point people are trying to make with the comparison.

Edit: Lol, I forgot the name of the show I was talking about.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 26, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s all well and good for you to have decided after watching it but it’s 100% being billed and advertised as a science-fiction show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s all well and good for you to have decided after watching it but it’s 100% being billed and advertised as a science-fiction show.

Yea I'm genuinely glad I read this thread and saw these dissections for Tales from the Loop because even the setting they're using is more about sci-fi concepts and how they relate to us than just regular drama.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I like Rick and Morty as much as the next guy, but if you want sci-fi, maybe just read a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Are we talking about time - stop stuff?

When I was a little kid, and we're talking late 70s or early 80s, there was a show you can catch on Saturday mornings that had that element. This show had some kid, a magic or science watch of some kind, and I think there was an older guy with him, too. With that watch, they can stop time, travel to different times and places, and basically create all sorts of edutainment. I don't remember what it was called, and I'd kind-of like to know, but I do remember that it was one of those shows that usually ended with the protagonist looking at the camera, reminding us of the main points of the episode, giving a few facts about the historical settings and characters involved, etc. Then, he would end by adding, "... and you can learn more about it at your local library."

I think one episode was about the Brooklyn Dodgers moving, of all things.