Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Manager Hoyden posted:

Extra light frame, saddle, wheelchair wheel, v12 engine

Heh, that was an interface question, actually. What sequence of keys do I have to press to make a vehicle from raw materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

Heh, that was an interface question, actually. What sequence of keys do I have to press to make a vehicle from raw materials?

If you have a frame nearby, you can use * to bring up the construction menu and convert the frame into a vehicle frame, which you can then interact with as though it were a full car, and it's also through that frame that you weld on additional frames to build out the rest of it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

More specifically, the option in the construction menu is called "start vehicle construction". And as RazzleDazzleHour said, you need a frame which this puts down as the start of your vehicle construction. So do it outside if you want to make something that actually drives around and is bigger than a bicycle/shopping cart. Also take note that you don't actually have to build a true vehicle. The system can also be used to build stationary objects like solar power banks, light sources or fridge/freezer units. And without an engine, you can power stuff with car/storage batteries, solar pannels or small generators. You can also use jumper cables(short) or heavy cables(long) to link power between different constructions. For example, my current base has a solar power bank with storage batteries outside and a heavy cable goes into the house(through a window) to power my fridges+light unit in the kitchen. It's a cool system to mess around with!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

AFashionableHat posted:

Sorry that's supposed to be "single tile wide". Like you can attach a bicycle to the back of an RV with a bike rack.
You can also build a detachable sidecar the same way, or just use it to stick your shopping cart on the side of your bike. You have to dismount it before racking the bike, of course.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Dareon posted:

So since someone mentioned AV problems with the launcher, I have a similar problem. My launcher needs to be run as administrator, asks me if I really truly want to run this program I double-clicked on, and when I try to unobsolete a mod, tells me I don't have permission to save the file and should consult an administrator.
I know this was a few pages back, but if you're still looking for an answer:

Where is the launcher, and/or where is it downloading the game files to? If either of those things is in your "Program Files" folder (or the x86 variant), you're going to have a bad time. Those are both subject to User Account Control (UAC) rules above and beyond the file permissions. You need to be elevated to modify/create there, but double-clicking on a file to automatically launch an associated program doesn't give you that option. So if you want to edit one of the files, you'll instead have to run your text editor as administrator, and then open the file from within the text editor.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bike racks are fuckin great because you can put a motorbike/speeder on your death RV, use the RV to park at the edge of a city and the speeder for long distance recon within it, then pack it all up when you're ready to move on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The lesser known variant of the bike rack is the livestock carrier/stall which can carry non-animal entities like, say, your mech suits.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am very wary of using superbikes to recon cities since an extendo-arms zombie pulled me off one while I was doing 80 km/h.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Lone Badger posted:

I am very wary of using superbikes to recon cities since an extendo-arms zombie pulled me off one while I was doing 80 km/h.

Holy poo poo

GOTY

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So the auto notes feature(thx for pointing that out, Chobayt) placed a note with "portal" while I was exploring a city. I checked it out but couldn't see anything unusual besides some rubble tiles in a pond and a lone gracken being chased by zombie hordes. What's up with that map extra?

The Lone Badger posted:

lmao

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So what's Raptor's high selling point as a mutation line that makes it one of the mutagens you need 3 other mutagens to craft?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

The Lone Badger posted:

Were you using a 5-point harness? They're easy to make/install and stop you from being thrown in crashes and should stop you being grabbed.

Caidin posted:

So what's Raptor's high selling point as a mutation line that makes it one of the mutagens you need 3 other mutagens to craft?

Makes you a high speed melee god with both apex predator and very fast metabolism with most of the negative mutations being mild.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 25, 2020

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Caidin posted:

You'll be a murder machine

BUT

generally at the point you are mass-crafting mutagens you are already a murder machine

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I had something, but it may have just been a belt.

Anyway because of the way Cataclysm handles speed I was actually fine. The bike was... not fine. Leaving me deep in an uncleared city with tons of alerted zombies and no vehicle.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

You'll be a murder machine

BUT

generally at the point you are mass-crafting mutagens you are already a murder machine

I mean sure but you can be a murder machine with a bunch of other furry mutations. Hell, mouse is death incarnate if you have a plan for bullets and elemental crap. The other mutagens that need other mutagens to craft are like elf and alpha and medical, stuff you can get into for reasonably safe results and still wear power armor assuming you can find some.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

So the auto notes feature(thx for pointing that out, Chobayt) placed a note with "portal" while I was exploring a city. I checked it out but couldn't see anything unusual besides some rubble tiles in a pond and a lone gracken being chased by zombie hordes. What's up with that map extra?

Portals, from what I've seen, can range from pretty meh like you saw, up to "Never go there ever, don't even drive close by" if they have one of those floating eye things hanging around. The two times I've seen an eye they've caused a character death both times just by looking at me. Both times do to some weird-rear end bullshit that wasn't apparent at first, looking at the wiki afterward told me it's this thing called teleglow sickness.

Driving back to base, doing 40, passing a gas-station. Nudge the car to the left to dodge a zombie when "You feel nauseous." pops up, the very next turn everything turns purple and then I'm blind and skidding and crashing into a gas pump. The other time was my second ever character and the thing gave me fungal infection. I'd never even seen the Mycus at that point so I just thought I had a cold and hold up in a house with some antibiotics to ride it out. A few days later I was hacking up spores, puking brown goo and then my arms exploded. Twice.

They suck rear end and I'm not sure if there's any real counter to them aside from "Never go near portals so they never get to see me" and *hopefully* "have a souped up deathmobile-base with no windows that I drive by camera".

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Chobayt posted:

Portals, from what I've seen, can range from pretty meh like you saw, up to "Never go there ever, don't even drive close by" if they have one of those floating eye things hanging around. The two times I've seen an eye they've caused a character death both times just by looking at me. Both times do to some weird-rear end bullshit that wasn't apparent at first, looking at the wiki afterward told me it's this thing called teleglow sickness.

Driving back to base, doing 40, passing a gas-station. Nudge the car to the left to dodge a zombie when "You feel nauseous." pops up, the very next turn everything turns purple and then I'm blind and skidding and crashing into a gas pump. The other time was my second ever character and the thing gave me fungal infection. I'd never even seen the Mycus at that point so I just thought I had a cold and hold up in a house with some antibiotics to ride it out. A few days later I was hacking up spores, puking brown goo and then my arms exploded. Twice.

They suck rear end and I'm not sure if there's any real counter to them aside from "Never go near portals so they never get to see me" and *hopefully* "have a souped up deathmobile-base with no windows that I drive by camera".

drive by camera? I didn't know that was even an option

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Install a camera control system and some cameras around the vehicle and you don't need windows for 360 vision

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Except cameras can't see very far at all. Slow driving only.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

On a related note, is there any way of protecting against blindness from flaming eyes? Do flare compensators or something help?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think the only thing that defends against the teleglow they infect you with is a 5 point anchor or some such, a gizmo you can only find in lab finales or a starting profession.

It was before the time I started playing but I'm told the eyes used to just go around sniping survivors and cutting buildings in half with giant lasers, which at least sounds more exciting then surprise fungal infection.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Except cameras can't see very far at all. Slow driving only.

Slow driving is no big deal as the plan is to make a giant lumbering death car, bristling with automated laser turrets, with a speedy bike bolted onto the side for when I need to zip around quick.

Actually, wasn't someone updating that tank mod again? I should look that up since tank treds would help the "Jawa Sandcrawler made of garbage" I'm envisioning. Does anyone know how the main cannon guns in that work? I imagine they're bigger than your mounted M249-size turrets but I dunno how that'd work in-game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you got the fungal infection you can eat a royal jelly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The 'main gun' works like any other mounted weapon, it just weighs a fuckton and loads one shell at a time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Lone Badger posted:

The 'main gun' works like any other mounted weapon, it just weighs a fuckton and loads one shell at a time.

It'll also very thoroughly murder the poo poo out of anything you hit with it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Lot of posts here since I last checked. Was there some major improvements or has it just become more popular since Covid-19?

I had a look on the subreddit to see if anything new going on. Saw someone ask why game changes such as removing solar powered laser turrets can be justified by "these are absurd". And the developer who approved it replied what's unclear, they are absurd and don't follow the laws of physics.

So I'm guessing the development is still being lead by pedants who claim it's all for realism.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Marenghi posted:

I had a look on the subreddit to see if anything new going on. Saw someone ask why game changes such as removing solar powered laser turrets can be justified by "these are absurd". And the developer who approved it replied what's unclear, they are absurd and don't follow the laws of physics.

So I'm guessing the development is still being lead by pedants who claim it's all for realism.

It's being lead by a group of turbonerds who believe 1.) tedium is challenge, 2.) the game should be designed to be hard/tedious to someone who has been playing for ten years and 3.) realism only matters when it makes the game more boring.

I mean yeah flaming eyes giving you mushroom diseases is fine, but lasers are not. Guns can't fire more than like 40 yards, but also you need a multivitamin every day or you die of malnutrition in 72 hours.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Marenghi posted:

Lot of posts here since I last checked. Was there some major improvements or has it just become more popular since Covid-19?

I think me and a couple other people got into the game just recently and because it's so granular we have had a lot of questions.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's being lead by a group of turbonerds who believe 1.) tedium is challenge, 2.) the game should be designed to be hard/tedious to someone who has been playing for ten years and 3.) realism only matters when it makes the game more boring.

I mean yeah flaming eyes giving you mushroom diseases is fine, but lasers are not. Guns can't fire more than like 40 yards, but also you need a multivitamin every day or you die of malnutrition in 72 hours.

At least the game is really easy to mod, and most of the removed stuff can be found in Aftershock. They also allowed a dude to hardcode stuff so that the magic mod could work.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SpacePope posted:

At least the game is really easy to mod, and most of the removed stuff can be found in Aftershock. They also allowed a dude to hardcode stuff so that the magic mod could work.

Oh yeah and that's why it's still one of my favorite games. I love that a game this good is open for anyone to turn into anything they want.

The main-line dev folks, especially that guy Kevin, just baffle me with their decisions though. Like if you find out your players really like to do a thing in your game, taking that thing they enjoy away from them so they play the way you like is pretty incomprehensible. Players really like solar powered laser guns, so cut em. Players really like making archers, so nerf bows repeatedly until they're not viable. The game had a longstanding issue where players could eat food and drink water in a game that demands they eat food and drink water, so we made all food and water gated behind defrosting it first for 30 in-game days. It's like they view having fun or progressing in the game as exploits.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 25, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

3.) realism only matters when it makes the game more boring.

As is generally the case, cries of "realism" are actually just an excuse for bad design. Implement whatever you want, put the word "realism" in the justification line, and if somebody challenges you, quibble archly about precisely what sense of "realism" you meant until they give up.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's day 35 of summer and I've finally managed to fully clear the streets of my starter town. And what do I find at the very southern tip of it? A drat mall. Made a dent into the ring of zombies around it and then hosed off for the time being. I figured since I was sitting on all these guns and a decent pile of ammo, I was going to have some fun and shoot as many of the fuckers as I could get away with. Slapped that nice 50 round drum into an mp5 and jammed five regular mags into various quick pockets. All loaded with JHP for that extra punch. I then gave my dog a quick pet and drove back back into town....

I managed to survive the absolute clusterfuck that happened after I started shooting around the mall but holy poo poo I absolutely need a silencer before I try something like that again

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I once met my fate because I did exactly the same thing, thinking "I'm well armed and armored, I've got some good skills, I've got an absolute shitton of ammo." and then I walked into actual Dawn of the Dead and got absolutely owned because they just would not stop coming.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Marenghi posted:

Per the in game lore pre-cataclysm researchers had access to computers that dipped into alternate dimensions/timelines/??? to return predictive results. Certainly it's easier to write up some new tidbit about hyper efficient solar laser turrets than to keep messing with balance and playability.

edit. Unless loot in Malls got much better in the flip from 0.d to 0.e, it's probably not worthy the trouble of clearing vs exploring more to find a lab.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 25, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hell part of the lore is that they discovered hyper efficient power sources, its why plutonium cells exist. Looking at the timeline page

quote:

Improved fuel cell designs make solar-electric cars a viable alternative to gasoline. The first privately made electric cars are announced.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Security bots have been buffed as gently caress so if you really wanna deal with a massive horde, break some store windows and summon an eyebot and just let the bot wreck shot. I let one fight a kevlar zombie and at least 30 other zombies and it was completely undamaged

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

they just would not stop coming.
Yeah that was the issue. I underestimated how far the noise would reach and completely forgot that there are probably more inside the mall instead of just outside in the parking lot :doh: If I zoom out all the way I can see the trail and clusters of bodies that mark my way out of there and the end point where I got swarmed and had to drop my gun to pull out my sword. Luckily I was smart enough to prioritize targets so the clump that cornered me eventually was mainly chaff. In retrospect I should have probably started the move back as soon as I saw the numbers spilling out of the mall but I was cocky and believed my cool mp5 would get it done fast enough. Haha, nope. With a few more 50 round drums maybe but whatever. Lesson learned!

Maarak posted:

edit. Unless loot in Malls got much better in the flip from 0.d to 0.e, it's probably not worthy the trouble of clearing vs exploring more to find a lab.
I'm playing with stats through kills so I mainly see that place as an "easy" farm for xp before the evolutions kick in

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Security bots have been buffed as gently caress so if you really wanna deal with a massive horde, break some store windows and summon an eyebot and just let the bot wreck shot. I let one fight a kevlar zombie and at least 30 other zombies and it was completely undamaged
I assume this is for experimental? Because in my stable game I have seen several eyebots flee from zombies or do absolutely nothing while the zombies either miss their swings or do no damage. Not once did any of them summon a bot. They only did so when they spotted me :argh:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

They've actually changed flaming eyes in the latest experimental, thank god.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/40494

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tin Tim posted:

I assume this is for experimental? Because in my stable game I have seen several eyebots flee from zombies or do absolutely nothing while the zombies either miss their swings or do no damage. Not once did any of them summon a bot. They only did so when they spotted me :argh:

Im on experimental but usually I just kill the eyebot myself so a secubot Kool-Aid-Mans into the town I'm looting. Banks are pretty much a 100% eyebot spawn chance if you knock out a window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im on experimental but usually I just kill the eyebot myself so a secubot Kool-Aid-Mans into the town I'm looting. Banks are pretty much a 100% eyebot spawn chance if you knock out a window

I think sometimes a secubot spawns inside the bank too. Had a real fun run where I got dropped without warning because I round a corner into a security bot. Reload, run their ammo dry and drop them then proceed to loot the bank... and get blown away by the summoned secubot as I leave