Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CoD WWII was just announced as one of June's PS+ games, with the second game being announced later. Wonder why they could only announce one right now? First time I've seen that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BisterdDave posted:

CoD WWII was just announced as one of June's PS+ games, with the second game being announced later. Wonder why they could only announce one right now? First time I've seen that happen.

Is it because of Memorial Day?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CoD:WWII single player is definitely worth a play.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

CoD:WWII single player is definitely worth a play.
How big is the install?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That would be way awesome as I haven't played it and my Summer vacation starts on the 1st.

But it's not going to be, is it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I platinumed Spider-Man this weekend so I'm just going to assume this is true, so when it's not I won't be disappointed

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Baggot posted:

That would make sense. We'll probably get the announcement for the second game on Wednesday.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Spiderman + Cod would be a dream team PSPlus combo

speaking of ps plus I finally tried Burial at Sea today and while it was gorgeous and I enjoy revisiting Rapture I just don't like the plot which is the main reason I played the Bioshock games so I got bored an hour in and I doubt I'll go back

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Baggot posted:

wouldn't that be a bit tacky?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rinkles posted:

wouldn't that be a bit tacky?

Not as tacky as the Square Enix store offering a free Square-branded cloth face mask with purchases over $100!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How big is the install?

Uhhh big, I think like 80-ish

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

I bought it last month, so that would be annoying.
I also own CoD WW2 already so yeah..

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How big is the install?

If the digital size is the same as the disc-based version then you're looking at just over 115 GB.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Weeks of rumors for Spider-Man coming to PS+ to keep you subbed, then on the day of you get Madden 2015 and Cars 2: The Video Game. Come on people, learn the pattern by now!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1264966212452155393

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Sinking City is cool, atmosphere and investigation mechanics are great. Combat isn't good but it isn't game-ruining either. Strict inventory cap and lack of fishing are puzzling

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Am I crazy or does Prey have the best ever hacking mini game?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I like Pipemania so I like Bioshock's hacking :mmmhmm:

I wonder why no-one has decided to do a Rock'n'Bolt hacking minigame?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

crazy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean, i guess they have to build hype again. the leaks made me more interested and since everything got pushed back to july and fall, i will probably end up picking it up in june.

Zongerian posted:

Sinking City is cool, atmosphere and investigation mechanics are great. Combat isn't good but it isn't game-ruining either. Strict inventory cap and lack of fishing are puzzling

yeah. i do like its interpratation of the lovecraft universe and how it plays with the racism/bigotry of lovecraft and its setting. also i like how the first case is kinda open ended with interpretation of what happened or at least the order of events.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's actually Enter the Matrix

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Starting to think that the gory deaths in the Tomb Raider reboots aren't gendered, fetishized violence.

See, in the third one, the violent trap deaths are quick and not very gory, but there are a lot of where Lara is in super claustrophobic situations.

I think the intent all along has been to make you feel uncomfortable as a player because you're seeing a human go through something intense, not because killing women is hot or whatever

Basically I think it's just trying to ape The Descent, and people didn't accuse that movie of being fetishistic. :shrug:

Anyway Rise is really good

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Tomb Raider's always had horrific, agonizing violent deaths. First time I fell into a spike pit in the PS1 original my testicles retreated into my body

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Tomb Raider's always had horrific, agonizing violent deaths. First time I fell into a spike pit in the PS1 original my testicles retreated into my body

Now to mention getting eaten by sharks, hosed up by tigers, rampaged by a god-drat T-rex, crushed by boulders, smashed by god hammers, electrocuted by god thunder, ripped by alligators and turned into a gold statue. Lara has had a tough time of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's hard to take the violence in Shadow of the Tomb Raider very seriously when you can change Lara's expression in photo mode. Hey fam I'm literally dead lmao.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gently caress yeah been playing Metal Gear Online 1 on PS2.

This owns.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

precision posted:

Basically I think it's just trying to ape The Descent

A friend told me about this cool horror movie called the descent, and after watching 30 minutes of a chick flick I decided he was yanking my chain.

Went back and finished it after he promised he wasn't and it was pretty good, once it finally gets going!

On an unrelated note has anyone played Everybody's gone to the rapture?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Starting to think that the gory deaths in the Tomb Raider reboots aren't gendered, fetishized violence.

See, in the third one, the violent trap deaths are quick and not very gory, but there are a lot of where Lara is in super claustrophobic situations.

I think the intent all along has been to make you feel uncomfortable as a player because you're seeing a human go through something intense, not because killing women is hot or whatever

Basically I think it's just trying to ape The Descent, and people didn't accuse that movie of being fetishistic. :shrug:

Any discussion on the topic of Tomb Raider violence also needs to take into account the grisly stealth kills Lara does to the enemies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TR2013 straight up copied some scenes wholesale from The Descent, most notably "woman rises from pool of blood to nose level" and "woman climbs on a huge pile of bones to reach the surface." But the original Descent made a Tomb Raider reference as well so I think the nod was intentional.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The impaling stuff in TR2013 is one of very very few times I felt physically disgusted playing a game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I've been playing Streets of Rage 4, and it's pretty good. I decided to play through it on Hard my first playthrough, and I'm glad I did. It never got frustrating, though I did have to retry most stages at least once (with a couple that I had to retry 3-4 times). It forced me to actually learn the system and engage with the game on its terms a bit more, I think.

I did bump it down to normal just to check it out, and it seems like the only change is that you start with an additional life? IDK, if there were any other changes, they were small.

After I unlocked SoR1 Axel, I played through the game on Very Hard, and he seems completely broken. I just destroyed every stage without any retries until the late game. He is stupidly OP and easy to play.

I might go for a Mania run. Very Hard actually adds more enemies, so it feels different than the lower difficulties. Mania seems to be the same as Very Hard, but all the enemies move faster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mania adds even more enemies than Hardest. It's freakin nuts!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

Most people just mean the first reboot game. It also had that aborted sexual assault scene and a developer at an event saying something like "We really want the player to feel like they want to protect Lara" which is just a weird thing to say about a video game protagonist or at the very least a weird way to say it. Rise and Shadow didn't exactly go with bloodless "ragdoll go to black and white" deaths but they didn't linger in quite the same way as 2013.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

a developer at an event saying something like "We really want the player to feel like they want to protect Lara" which is just a weird thing to say about a video game protagonist or at the very least a weird way to say it.

I think that developer was quickly called a loving moron by Crystal Dynamics and it was explained that's not what they were going for at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oops I meant Shadow is really good

Rise is just okay but Shadow is more like an Uncharted game (you even play as Young Lara in a chapter) and it works better as a more linear experience with side tombs than as the more open world that Rise tried to do

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
It was hard to care about Lara because she triggered the loving apocalypse, then murdered her way across several maps without seeming to give a gently caress but somehow she's the hero.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Friendly Fire posted:

It was hard to care about Lara because she triggered the loving apocalypse, then murdered her way across several maps without seeming to give a gently caress but somehow she's the hero.

to be fair, Lara loving up and triggering the apocalypse has been part of her character since the PS1 games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Friendly Fire posted:

I mean, if she hadn't triggered the apocalypse, the guy literally 30 feet behind her would have done. It isn't communicated very well but he would have taken the dagger too, because he didn't know it would start the countdown. All he knew was that the dagger plus the box equals world domination.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Hmm, yes. In order to stop that guy causing the apocalypse, I'd better trigger the apocalypse...

She then proceeds to not give a poo poo about the entire village she drowned because somehow 'bad guy is worse'.

The game would have been much more compelling if the 'bad guy' had got to the dagger first and caused the whole mess in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

precision posted:

Oops I meant Shadow is really good

Rise is just okay but Shadow is more like an Uncharted game (you even play as Young Lara in a chapter) and it works better as a more linear experience with side tombs than as the more open world that Rise tried to do

i need to like play it. i played outside the intro and than kinda stopped. didnt they cut like most of the combat out? because that makes my child like brain sad.