Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That looks amazing but also you are insane. I'd just have used greenstuff for the belt, but it'd have looked nowhere near as good.

I probably would have used tamiya tape for the belt, but man, the PE looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Molentik posted:

I spend waaaay to much time making a 35th scale belt from spare PE...

This is amazing. Even if my hands were steady enough for that, I highly doubt I'd have the patience.

Hasegawa Longbow is done, and while I don't regret buying it, I think I would have been much better off building up a lot more model experience beforehand rather than picking this as my second model build. I left off the decals because I can't be bothered to deal with them on this, and also opted to add some Tamiya clear red to the infrared seeker tips on the Hellfires. In a turn of events that had nothing to do with clumsiness and definitely did not result in gently slicing small red strands off of a cream-colored carpet, I also discovered that Tamiya clear red spilled and smeared on human skin closely resembles blood.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 22, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are you gonna do a base for this one? Itd be very cool if you recreated the grassy plot it sits on, maybe throw in the brick wall behind it to frame the composition.

Looks great though, the freehand camo worked well.
I'm thinking I probably will come back to this after my next build and do a base. I've already found a 1/35 chain link fence that would work perfectly, I just have a ton of research to do on what's available/how to do foliage.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So apparently Tamiya black spray paints are impossible to find right now. I accidently bought a spray can of Testors flat black enamel (I thought it was lacquer) I've never used enamel before so I had a few questions:
1. Can I spray it over tamiya primer? I believe Tamiya primer is lacquer based so I don't know if it will have a nasty reaction.
2. Can I paint over enamel with acrylics?
3. How long will it take enamel to fully dry/cure? I think I've heard that it takes a really long time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I used that combination for some time, it works fine. You can use acrylic over enamel once it dries with no problem. I don't recall the enamel taking too long to dry.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Slugworth posted:

I'm thinking I probably will come back to this after my next build and do a base. I've already found a 1/35 chain link fence that would work perfectly, I just have a ton of research to do on what's available/how to do foliage.

Check out Luke Towan's videos on YouTube. He does amazing work.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm considering creating a youtube channel focused on scale model building and 3d printing. I've made a few videos and posted them on my [real name] channel as practice and plan to continue to do so until 2021 when I launch the actual model building channel. I figure this will let me get some experience and get all the lovely videos out of the way and learn from my mistakes so when I launch my channel next January, the videos will hopefully be a few steps above awful.

I like Plasmo because he doesn't dwell on routine things like basic assembly or priming and he focuses more on techniques that assume the viewer has already built several models. He gets right to the point and doesn't waste my time.

I don't like videos that are all music with subtitles and no dialogue. I do watch them and have respect for the skill of the builders, but I don't feel any engagement and tend to lose connection with the video within a few minutes.

I really don't like videos that are over an hour long and spend a lot of time showing basic things or spend too much time on single concepts. For example (in an unrelated field), I watched a video of a machinist drill over 100 holes in a metal plate, then deburr and countersink them, then finally thread every other one. He sped it up a bit, but once you see the first few holes, you get the idea. I don't need to see 6 minutes of drilling the same hole over and over.

I've learned that people watch youtube videos for two main reasons - the content and the creator. Some channels you watch to learn concepts that you will put to use (Plasmo, Scale Model Workshop, Black Magic Craft). Others, you have no intentions of ever creating the stuff in the videos, but you watch them because you like listening to the creator (Night Shift*, TheCrafsMan SteadyCraftin, This Old Tony).

What do you like or dislike about the modeling channels you like? I have my opinions on what is good and bad, but I want to get a wider appeal. Thanks!

*I don't build tanks, but I still find him entertaining as a creator. If you are a tank builder, he would definitely fall into both groups.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MrUnderbridge posted:

Check out Luke Towan's videos on YouTube. He does amazing work.

Is he an literal giant?

:ohdear:

Nice find, thanks. Sub'ed and bookmark'ed! :tviv:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'd certainly love another channel to watch in the same vein of Plasmo, to the point with narration. I do like watching some channels that only do the music with text narration (scalemodelaircraft being the main one) but I do get your point about not really feeling engaged. I think that's the really only exception since they're never really longer than 30m and he doesn't linger on the rivet counting and I feel they strike an ok balance between assembly and the paint job.

Started on a 2nd plane, Hobby Boss 1/48 Ta 152. Was cheap enough for the scale but has quite nice detail. Not sure how I stuck a fingerprint in the seat considering the gloss was dry but I'll pretend thats the material texture.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Is he an literal giant?

:ohdear:

Nice find, thanks. Sub'ed and bookmark'ed! :tviv:

Oh my loving god, he furnished the apartments.

:aaaaa:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, yeah. He does not play.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
This guy has taken me back to the hours and hours I spent staring at the tiny rooms in the basement of the Art Institute of Chicago as an literal youf.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Schadenboner posted:

This guy has taken me back to the hours and hours I spent staring at the tiny rooms in the basement of the Art Institute of Chicago as an literal youf.

The Thorne Rooms are amazing, definitely the best part of AIC on my visit.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

What do you like or dislike about the modeling channels you like? I have my opinions on what is good and bad, but I want to get a wider appeal. Thanks!

*I don't build tanks, but I still find him entertaining as a creator. If you are a tank builder, he would definitely fall into both groups.

The best ones are well shot and edited.

I like Plasmos commentary because he just falls on the right side of awkward nerd to be entertaining rather than irritating. Several other channels I watched went down hill when they started voicing their own commentary instead of using captions. I watch model making videos to zone out and relax and that is trickier when you've got some dweeb in love with the sound of their own voice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Vids where the modelers are just chill, and not in love with their own skill or thinking they're a badass. Which seems like an odd comment, but there are a surprising number of "Imma baddass bro" modeling channels.

Also, I can't take modelers seriously when they wear black gloves. Black plastic gloves were invented for guys too insecure to use the typical blue/green/purple gloves that already existed everywhere.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I quite like Nightshift's channel because he doesn't take everything too seriously and actually shows his fuckups.

Did some more work on the dispatch rider. I need to add some fabric where the arms meet the torso, a scarf and goggles to hide the neck and add the leather earflaps of the helmet. I actually tried to slice the upper layer of some real leather, but I think that might be a bit too much.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Nightshift also has two fairly important positives that are easy to overlook. One, even if he works on a single model for a month and change, he's putting out content regularly and in manageable chunks. Two, whenever he drops into the lower part of his vocal range he sounds like Dr. Zoidberg.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Model Chili Scale Models is a pretty chilled out channel run out of New Zealand I think. He tends to speed up through long, monotonous sections which is really nice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone out there who does good walkthroughs on weathering? My occasional light googling brings up fairly blah videos.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Anyone out there who does good walkthroughs on weathering? My occasional light googling brings up fairly blah videos.

Nightshift is good for armor weathering, probably the best on YouTube so far. Plasmo really likes to overweather, but the techniques are solid foundations.

Doogs also has some articles and videos on weathering aircraft. He tends to be much more restrained than plasmo. You can also look for Mike Rinaldi videos on YouTube if you want examples of oil dot weathering techniques.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Commentary from my wife:

"Oh my god that's amazing!"

Schadenboner posted:

Oh my loving god, he furnished the apartments.

:aaaaa:

"Okay, it's an illness now"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Unkempt posted:

Commentary from my wife:

"Oh my god that's amazing!"

"Okay, it's an illness now"

Too long for thread title.

:eng99:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What can I use to thin out Tamiya putty? Lacquer thinner? Water?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

What can I use to thin out Tamiya putty? Lacquer thinner? Water?

Lacquer thinner or Tamiya extra thin.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm building this kit, and honestly, the wheels are the most satisfying thing I've ever done in this hobby. They're obviously really simple, but the rubber wheels, the chrome cap, they're just... Satisfying. I just keep picking them up every time I walk by them.

(Doing the bus in Tamiya pearl green, it looks a bit washed out in this photo)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Trying to do the transparent effect on the underside of the Albatros' wings:

Not sure I like how it turned out. Feels like its missing something.

Reference pic:

I think maybe I need to make the internal structure a bit more prominent.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 25, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A couple test shots now that fiberoptics are done, and loosely buttoned up the body to review it all. Will definitely have to break out my good camera soon, as I can't for the life of me get a decent pic on my phone that doesn't blow out the tips of the fiberoptics.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Slugworth posted:

I'm building this kit, and honestly, the wheels are the most satisfying thing I've ever done in this hobby. They're obviously really simple, but the rubber wheels, the chrome cap, they're just... Satisfying. I just keep picking them up every time I walk by them.

(Doing the bus in Tamiya pearl green, it looks a bit washed out in this photo)

That mirroring on the hubcap is insane. How did you do that?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

That mirroring on the hubcap is insane. How did you do that?
By gluing the pre-chromed hubcap to the wheel :) Can't take any credit for it, I'm afraid. But yeah, that's part of why I'm so impressed by something as simple as a wheel.

I'm really tempted to screw it up by trying to paint a whitewall on the tire.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Slugworth posted:

By gluing the pre-chromed hubcap to the wheel :) Can't take any credit for it, I'm afraid. But yeah, that's part of why I'm so impressed by something as simple as a wheel.

I'm really tempted to screw it up by trying to paint a whitewall on the tire.

Could you attach it to a dremmel or something low speed and do the white walls that way?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did hippies do whitewalls? I thought the whitewall tire was seen as sort of a symbol of like, square hypocrisy and so forth?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Did hippies do whitewalls? I thought the whitewall tire was seen as sort of a symbol of like, square hypocrisy and so forth?
Really? That's interesting. A lot of the buses that show up on Google have them, but I wonder if it's not really period accurate. I'll have to look into it a bit. For what it's worth, I'm not planning on hippy-ing up the bus anyways - The decals that came with it are gonna end up on an M-113.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think the idea was that the consumption involved in keeping a thing literally designed to roll through dirt and mud sparkling white was like, self-repression? IIRC they get referenced in some beatnik work and maybe there’s some tear about it in Catcher In The Rye (not sure about this: it’s been 15+ years since I read any of this, I’m not one of THOSE GUYS or anything).

Neither of those are exactly hippielit of course but they’re definitely adjacent to it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, it’s not like there were authoritative style guides for this poo poo though. And I might be conflating having read a lot of 1960/70s MAD magazines with the thing being satirized?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
So, talk to me about Primers?

I have only used the rattle-can Tamiya primer in the past for my Galactica and that worked out fine. I have an air brush and wanted to start using it for all the painting.

So I got myself some Tamiya primer ( Liquid Surface Primer G ):

And thinned it with the Lacquer Thinner Tamiya recommended:

I did it about 1:1 to 1:2 (thinner to primer) to get a version that would go through my airbrush ( Badger 105 Patriot )

and I got some strange results, or at least what I would say as strange. I am not sure what is happening.

Couple of issues:

1. It looks like the primer is drying before it hits the object, I can clean that out, or brush it I guess.
2. Cleaning my airbrush is insane! I'm using the normal airbrush cleaner and the lacquer just clumps and clogs and then I'm sitting there for an hour slowly taking the whole thing apart and brushing it out.

Am I thinning it too much? Spraying too hard? Do I need to be doing it anyways?

What should I be doing to work with the primer lacquer and be able to clean it without gunking the hell out of my airbrush?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I gave up on airbrushing primers after I discovered the rattlecans from Mr.Surfacer.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Thin it more, spray around 20 psi.

Tamiya's airbrush cleaner will clean it out without clumping it up. What type of airbrush cleaner did you use? Ones meant for acrylic or enamel won't work.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Molentik posted:

I gave up on airbrushing primers after I discovered the rattlecans from Mr.Surfacer.

This. I like the Tamiya rattle can primers and I always sand then down extra smooth afterwards.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

ptier posted:

So, talk to me about Primers?

I have only used the rattle-can Tamiya primer in the past for my Galactica and that worked out fine. I have an air brush and wanted to start using it for all the painting.

So I got myself some Tamiya primer ( Liquid Surface Primer G ):

And thinned it with the Lacquer Thinner Tamiya recommended:

I did it about 1:1 to 1:2 (thinner to primer) to get a version that would go through my airbrush ( Badger 105 Patriot )

and I got some strange results, or at least what I would say as strange. I am not sure what is happening.

Couple of issues:

1. It looks like the primer is drying before it hits the object, I can clean that out, or brush it I guess.
2. Cleaning my airbrush is insane! I'm using the normal airbrush cleaner and the lacquer just clumps and clogs and then I'm sitting there for an hour slowly taking the whole thing apart and brushing it out.

Am I thinning it too much? Spraying too hard? Do I need to be doing it anyways?

What should I be doing to work with the primer lacquer and be able to clean it without gunking the hell out of my airbrush?

No idea about tamiya primers apart from rattlecans being excellent. It seems your paint is partially drying on the fly, so I'd thin it more. Also I like that you're doing a Vor'cha cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

Thin it more, spray around 20 psi.

Tamiya's airbrush cleaner will clean it out without clumping it up. What type of airbrush cleaner did you use? Ones meant for acrylic or enamel won't work.

Sparq posted:

No idea about tamiya primers apart from rattlecans being excellent. It seems your paint is partially drying on the fly, so I'd thin it more. Also I like that you're doing a Vor'cha cruiser.

Been doing it at 20 psi. I'll give it a shot to thin it more. I was definitely using cleaner meant for acrylics and it had water in it... So I will get new cleaner for primer or just use thinner.

Molentik posted:

Charliegrs posted:

This. I like the Tamiya rattle can primers and I always sand then down extra smooth afterwards.

This may not be a bad way to go. I prime so rarely it may just be worth it to use the rattle cans and not have to worry about cleaning it so drat thoroughly to then start using my Tamiya acrylics.

Thank you all for the responses!