Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What did your dad think of the updated WCW logo? Did it remind him of bird poo poo?

Also, ask him if he forgot his scissors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JonathanSafranFoer posted:

First poster here. I’ve always liked this site but if I’d known there was a WCW thread on this forum I would have joined a long time ago. I guess I missed it because I overlooked the tiny category name under the sports board . I didn’t even know that so many current fans also were fans of the WCW back in the day. This is definitely my favorite era of wrestling. Funnily enough, my dad used to work at Turner Sports, which owned the WCW so I grew up both as a fan and also hearing a lot of his stories as well. I’m supposed to chat with him this weekend so I can pick his brain about what he remembers, but here is some stuff off the top of my head:

Legal Problems: Racial Discrimination
A major issue the WCW faced over a 5-year period was being sued for racial discrimination by several performers and managers who worked for the company. They said that they were held back within the organization due to systemic racism. The lawsuit was filed by Sonny Onoo who worked for the company as a liaison to Japanese wrestling companies in additional to having an on-screen role as a manager. He claimed that had been dismissed unfairly from the company for his race and that the “gimmick” WCW forced on him was one that mocked his nationality. The lawsuit was settled out of court which might very well mean that WCW could have been in the wrong.

WCW was very much in the wrong. There were so many examples of systematic racism in the company. Bischoff declaring black fans don't buy tickets, using the n word, declaring an event was a "white night" with no black wrestlers on it. Terry Taylor using the n word constantly and being just incredibly racist. Russo using the n word repeatedly. Black wrestlers and agents being passed over in favor of whites with the same or less experience. Plus all white management and a lack of discrimination standards meant that you would be shocked by the kind of things that went on.

And then there is the anti Mexican and anti Japanese racism. The irony of the lawsuit was that Sonny Onoo was basically only hired because he was friends with Bischoff and had absolutely no talent.

JonathanSafranFoer
May 23, 2020

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Also, ask him if he forgot his scissors.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I SAID

DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

(mark madden voice) WOW

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

WCW was very much in the wrong. There were so many examples of systematic racism in the company. Bischoff declaring black fans don't buy tickets, using the n word, declaring an event was a "white night" with no black wrestlers on it. Terry Taylor using the n word constantly and being just incredibly racist. Russo using the n word repeatedly. Black wrestlers and agents being passed over in favor of whites with the same or less experience. Plus all white management and a lack of discrimination standards meant that you would be shocked by the kind of things that went on.

And then there is the anti Mexican and anti Japanese racism. The irony of the lawsuit was that Sonny Onoo was basically only hired because he was friends with Bischoff and had absolutely no talent.

I remember people defending WCW by saying that Sonny Onoo obviously didn't care about the racism because his character was a caricature and he never would have agreed to it otherwise.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rujasu posted:

As much as I think McMahon is a terrible person, I have to give him credit - the main reason he bothered to buy WCW was to get their tape library, which made the deal worthwhile by itself.

That they sat on for almost ten years. Even with WCW folding and the botched reincarnation, there was and still is a demand for WCW related content. And even then they rolled it out on a niche platform while bootleg DVDs flourished.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

rujasu posted:

As much as I think McMahon is a terrible person, I have to give him credit - the main reason he bothered to buy WCW was to get their tape library, which made the deal worthwhile by itself.

With the dvd boom of the early 2000s wwe left a lot of money on the table not releasing a poo poo ton of wcw DVDs as soon as they could. I know a lot of tapes were unlabeled and just showed up in crates.

In 2002 I’m sure they could have sold a million copies of Steve austin in wcw for $20 a pop. Same for Flair, cactus jack, hogan. Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, booker t would have been big sellers, maybe not at the million sales level. But it’s not like a half million is anything to sneeze at.

I realize these all came out within 3-5 years of buying wcw with nice career retrospectives added to them. I’m talking throw 15-20 big or good matches and interviews without the new stuff in a quick cash grab.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

How did New Japan at the time think of Onoo did they not care or hate him but just worked with WCW because?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

How did New Japan at the time think of Onoo did they not care or hate him but just worked with WCW because?

I believe he annoyed them during some negotiation Bischoff used him for but I forget.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WCW was on a European tour and two wrestlers got into an argument at the hotel bar. They went their separate ways but things escalated into a physical fight. One guy brought scissors to the fight, stabbed the other guy, lost the scissors and then got stabbed liked 17 times with differing stories about the severity of the injuries.

The "winner" of the fight was fired, went to the WWF, was a 2 time champion, went back to WCW, was a 2 time champion, and during a promo, Bischoff asked him if he forgot his scissors.

What's your dad's take on that story?

JonathanSafranFoer
May 23, 2020

Rusty Shackelford posted:

WCW was on a European tour and two wrestlers got into an argument at the hotel bar. They went their separate ways but things escalated into a physical fight. One guy brought scissors to the fight, stabbed the other guy, lost the scissors and then got stabbed liked 17 times with differing stories about the severity of the injuries.

The "winner" of the fight was fired, went to the WWF, was a 2 time champion, went back to WCW, was a 2 time champion, and during a promo, Bischoff asked him if he forgot his scissors.

What's your dad's take on that story?

Sounds like a tall tale to me. Are you sure this wasn't part of a storyline?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Not a storyline

Here’s Sid’s take on it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QThCAGoIH3Q

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol falling for this obvious troll, even after he came in and regurgitatedwell known facts.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Can’t we just see where this goes? It could be fun.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandman McMahon posted:

Can’t we just see where this goes? It could be fun.

Only if we can figure out who's rereg it is

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Randaconda posted:

Only if we can figure out who's rereg it is

Side account of rovert, he's getting his revenge by pushing the non-scoops

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Its Rovert from the Anti-Matter universe. The Anti-Scoopsman.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Randaconda posted:

lol falling for this obvious troll, even after he came in and regurgitatedwell known facts.
Yeah, that was my takeaway. I read that whole post and was like "...no poo poo?"

Also lol at calling the Sid/Arn incident a "tall tale"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Better Than You posted:

Also lol at calling the Sid/Arn incident a "tall tale"

Next they are going to call into question the number of times Curt Hennig shat under the ring.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

Man, in-ring the Road Warriors weren't the best, but there was something about them I still just love. That's how you book a dominant tag team

https://twitter.com/JustRasslin/status/1232515106195607552?s=20

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Just thinking about the racism issue again and wanted to find the exact wording of Ed Ferrara claiming the company had no racial discrimination policy in the Thunderbolt Patterson lawsuit documentation. I came across something I'd missed. I did not remember reading that Bill Watts said he did not want that "n-word on my TV" regarding Hank Aaron. What a guy.

And that Ole told him that Turner management and WCW officials did not regard him as a person, merely as the n word and he would never be a promoter like he wanted.

Ed is summed up as saying he was not aware of any WCW officials communicating that WCW needed to not discriminate against wrestlers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Folks if you have it, can I get a link to the Hogan Waco promo?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/GrappleClips/status/1264535270457782272

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The trash bouncing off his head and right into the camera is just.. perfect. It’s mezmerizing, like a lava lamp.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've watched this on loop for like 5 minutes with a big dumb grin on my face

JonathanSafranFoer
May 23, 2020

Sorry that I haven’t had time this weekend to post more. I was tired yesterday from the AEW PPV and have been working around the house. Also, the first time I typed up a long post, I lost it by refreshing my browser.

Ratings Measurement
One quick word about ratings because there is a sentiment that the “Attitude Era” of wrestling had wide appeal and mainstream popularity, which is true to a degree, but is also exaggerated. Cable TV ratings are determined by a company called Nielson, which places boxes in consumers homes and monitors what they are watching. In the nineties, Nielson measured ratings in 15 minute intervals. There is a good chance that because many wrestling fans would tune into both Raw & Nitro, that they would be counted twice, thereby inflating the total number of people watching for both shows.

Thursday Thunder
At the pinnacle of Nitro’s popularity, pressure was applied on WCW from the corporate level to produce another show which would do for TBS’s ratings what Nitro did for TNT’s. Despite opposition from Eric Bischoff (on the grounds that it would oversaturate the talent pool), the plans moved forward for Thunder on Thursday. Despite a first show with solid matches like Ric Flair vs Chris Jericho and Buff/Konan vs the Steiner Brothers, the show would drop off in quality quickly. Wrestlers went out of their way to avoid being on Thunder because they viewed it as a second-tier showing. Many actively “no-showed” events or would fake injuries to avoid being booked on the program. Week by week the results were in and they were not good: Thunder was a dud.

Bret Hart
Bischoff’s initial plan was for Bret Hart to be the mainstay of the Thunder program. This proved to be a big miscalculation for various reasons and also cost the company a large amount of money on his salary.

#1) WCW wasted his debut which was coming on the heels of the “Montreal Screwjob” and could have been played as a much bigger deal. #2) Bret was noticeably disinterested in participating in WCW. His promos were bad and his overall attitude (even to a casual viewer) was “checked out.” At no point in his WCW run did he seem to be the same person who he was in WWF. Bad booking can certainly be blamed for some of his bad run, but he also has to shoulder some as well.

Backstage Issues
The WCW locker room has best been described as “toxic.” Rampant drug use with management looking the other way was the norm. There were also disciplinary problems with certain wrestlers being viewed as untouchable — especially the ones who were close to Bischoff. As I mentioned before, thanks to his contract Hogan was writing material for the program as well, and whether or not you think that this was a good thing, there was a lot of mistrust by many of the wrestlers. Still, as long as ratings were good, the attitude was “don’t rock the boat.”

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Sorry that I haven’t had time this weekend to post more. I was tired yesterday from the AEW PPV and have been working around the house. Also, the first time I typed up a long post, I lost it by refreshing my browser.

Please just stop and admit your an awful troll.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Bret Hart
He's from Canada and Goldberg kicked him in the head

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Fun ratings fact, in the minute by minute ratings the Nitro Girls were a huge draw.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ok JSF who's re-reg are you

Be honest

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

money can be exchanged for goods and services

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Finger Poke of Doom
The finger poke of doom occurred January 1999 on an episode of Nitro and was poorly received by fans and may have played a role in the downfall of the company too. More to come.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sandman McMahon posted:

Finger Poke of Doom
The finger poke of doom occurred January 1999 on an episode of Nitro and was poorly received by fans and may have played a role in the downfall of the company too. More to come.

:ohdear:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
DJ Ran
DJ Ran was all up in your area. He wanted to know where the rowdiest section in the building was. DJ Ran wanted you to make some noise, though some didn't want to make some noise.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Rey Mysterio Jr

He was a masked luchadore (Spanish for cruiserweight) who had matches with other masked luchadores and some unmasked luchadores like Dean Malenko. There was controversy when he fought Kevin Nash because he lost his mask. He later won the cruiserweight tag titles.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Can we have an anti-scoops thread, these are fun to read

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 25, 2020

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Could be a good idea. I actually just received some anti-scoops that’ll blow your fuckin minds. Can’t say anything just yet though, gotta protect my sources. It’s so crazy though, you guys, it’s really gonna Rock your world when you find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's the deal with Mr Burns' assistant Smithers? You know what I'm talking about!