Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This port of FF IX is pretty dire. It feels like a mobile port and Square-Enix appears to have done the bare minimum. I wasn't expecting large improvements but even the booster features don't feel great to use. If I want to speed up something like a fight I have to do Start > RT > Start and then repeat that to disable it, every time (and there are certain parts during transitions where the Start button won't respond). It gets pretty annoying, why wasn't there just a modifier button combo? Hold Select + LT to fast-forward?

That and very suspect font choices, audio/visual bugs... yeesh. It's embarassing how little Square-Enix cares about these ports (probably because they sell regardless of the effort put into them, so why bother?).

FFXII: Zodiac Age did all this a lot better, and also gave you different speed presets whereas FFIX only has 4X speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, I played like 20 mins of the opening and backed out. The discrepancy between the blurry pixelated background and the sharper models (but not all the models) is so jarring alongside all the things you said.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I played a bit more. Never played the original. Found the whole thing insteresting... but had to stop mostly because its hard to traverse a old game. This one being slow and with fracture gameplay (switching group of characters for what is essentially a playable cutscene).. I want to know more about Vivi story, maybe I will watch a lets play on Youtube.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is a mobile port slapped on consoles, thats why it feels that way (the timing for the fans, for instance, is stupid generous now).

Vivi's story is the draw of the game, the rest of its narrative is mediocre to ok, and even with boosts you are in for a slow time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't usually get hype for console releases other than Switch games. When do new games unlock on the store generally? 12am Eastern? Or does it vary wildly between games?

E: After a cursory search apparently it unlocks at 8am GMT so 2am my time. Lame.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 25, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1264904306358091776

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

:patriot:

Looking for help: I've been getting really bad lag spikes, rubberbanding, and disconnects when playing Sea of Thieves. No other game gives me this issue. I do play on wifi but I regularly ping single digits in other multiplayer games. Has anyone encountered this before?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Remembering all of the people murdered by the American imperial war machine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

I don't usually get hype for console releases other than Switch games. When do new games unlock on the store generally? 12am Eastern? Or does it vary wildly between games?

E: After a cursory search apparently it unlocks at 8am GMT so 2am my time. Lame.

For Canada and US at least it's almost always midnight Eastern time. Most other countries only have one time zone and unlock based on that, or whichever time zone has all the good cities in it.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I can't believe I dislike Red Dead Redemption 2, but holy poo poo is this game clunky and bloated :(. I'm bummed.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Grimes posted:

I can't believe I dislike Red Dead Redemption 2, but holy poo poo is this game clunky and bloated :(. I'm bummed.

Only play red dead online, the story mode is early 2000s trash and doesn't have the control updates.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
RDR2 has one of the best open worlds I've ever seen in a game. It's a lot more fun if you treat it like a exploration/hunting simulator and don't worry about the story or the missions.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Grimes posted:

You're not alone. I was intensely disappointed; firstly in myself, then in the game, then in every fucker in the literal street fellating it at every opportunity. I understand how some people can overlook the large deficiencies in that game but I only wish I could.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It feels like there are two camps with RDR2, one side that looks past how terrible the game plays because they really want to like the game, and the side that wanted to like the game but couldn't past how terribly it plays. I've been playing a bit here and there but it just feels so bad to play. I finally find the animal I want to kill but I get off the horse and none of the weapons I was using for hunting are on Arthur anymore and then the rabbit is gone or whatever. It's like someone at Rockstar looked at the great game they made and decided it needed to be shitted up a bit before shipping.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Akuma posted:

You're not alone. I was intensely disappointed; firstly in myself, then in the game, then in every fucker in the literal street fellating it at every opportunity. I understand how some people can overlook the large deficiencies in that game but I only wish I could.

People like different kind of games than you do, but sure call it 'literal street fellating' lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

It feels like there are two camps with RDR2, one side that looks past how terrible the game plays because they really want to like the game, and the side that wanted to like the game but couldn't past how terribly it plays. I've been playing a bit here and there but it just feels so bad to play. I finally find the animal I want to kill but I get off the horse and none of the weapons I was using for hunting are on Arthur anymore and then the rabbit is gone or whatever. It's like someone at Rockstar looked at the great game they made and decided it needed to be shitted up a bit before shipping.
It plays fine once you get used to the controls. I do agree that the game does have an issue with weapons just no longer being on your person and even if you are keeping track, there are times when the game won't allow you to go back to your horse and swap out for what you actually want. I'm not sure why they haven't fixed that. It feels like something that could be patched in.

Now GTAIV had absolutely abysmal car controls. That was a major problem and was extremely frustrating when you had to do car chases and the cars were swerving all over the place every time you tapped on the stick.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
It's almost Stockholm Syndrome with RDR2. I hated the way it controlled and how slow all the animations were at first, but after a couple hours I grew to accept it all since drat near everything else about the game was phenomenal. It truly is a great cowboy simulator if you treat it as such.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Akuma posted:

:captainpop::chanpop::captainpop::chanpop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I loved RDR2 myself, but I don't judge anyone who thought it was a bad game. I can see how it created polarizing opinions. What really disappointed me the most was online, that was garbage though, but the single player was great.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gta 4 car controls own cos it turns the game into a drift racing game and the gta 5 controls are boring in comparison

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stux posted:

gta 4 car controls own cos it turns the game into a drift racing game and the gta 5 controls are boring in comparison

Yeah it actually required practicing and mastering the game mechanics which is why everyone is such a babby about it lmao

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This video is long-winded and I'm sure many of you will find it obnoxious, but he does make some excellent points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos

tl;dw: RDR2 tries to simultaneously be a Breath of the Wild sandbox game and a very structured, linear game simultaneously and in doing so fails at being good at either one. It's also severely bogged down with clunky and outdated controls, sluggish repetitive animations when you do literally anything, vaguely explained and inconsistent game mechanics, and a bunch of other things. The missions are repetitive and boring and offer no agency at all. Exploring on your own isn't fun either because there's very little reward for not sticking with the missions and you constantly get blindsided by dumb bullshit.

It really feels like they went out of their way to ensure that it isn't fun to play. I won't fault anyone for liking it though. I was a huge fan of the original and reaallly wanted to like RDR2, and gave it several tries, but I just can't get past all of this.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't agree with the "exploring on your own isn't fun" part of that. I spent probably 80 hours wandering the countryside and finding every little cabin or cave I could before doing a single mission and had a blast. Unlike games like BOTW where the world is largely blank and uninteresting, I found the RDR2 map to be enthralling. Most every cabin told a unique story about those who lived there and had something to find and collect. It's the only game I've played that really nailed the feeling of exploring the unknown wilderness like that.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I stopped being interested in Rockstar's Storytelling at GTA IV. I wish that Red Dead let me play the single player mode with my custom character (or populated RDO with more of the Single Player game's side quests). I enjoyed RDO as a chill activity, with occasional bouts of player violence (it was like Eve Online methadone when a potentially violent player appeared on the horizon). I stopped playing because it has this tedious streak system, regular bugs, and I expected it to get regular updates and it just…didn't.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This video is long-winded and I'm sure many of you will find it obnoxious, but he does make some excellent points:

tl;dw: RDR2 tries to simultaneously be a Breath of the Wild sandbox game and a very structured, linear game simultaneously and in doing so fails at being good at either one. It's also severely bogged down with clunky and outdated controls, sluggish repetitive animations when you do literally anything, vaguely explained and inconsistent game mechanics, and a bunch of other things. The missions are repetitive and boring and offer no agency at all. Exploring on your own isn't fun either because there's very little reward for not sticking with the missions and you constantly get blindsided by dumb bullshit.

It really feels like they went out of their way to ensure that it isn't fun to play. I won't fault anyone for liking it though. I was a huge fan of the original and reaallly wanted to like RDR2, and gave it several tries, but I just can't get past all of this.

American McGay posted:

I don't agree with the "exploring on your own isn't fun" part of that. I spent probably 80 hours wandering the countryside and finding every little cabin or cave I could before doing a single mission and had a blast. Unlike games like BOTW where the world is largely blank and uninteresting, I found the RDR2 map to be enthralling. Most every cabin told a unique story about those who lived there and had something to find and collect. It's the only game I've played that really nailed the feeling of exploring the unknown wilderness like that.

Yeah that is a seriously stupid rear end take on RDR 2. There were lots of interactions with random NPCs when you 'go off the rails' of the missions. The 'reward' was meeting crazy characters that were all voiced acted and animated and had absolutely nothing to do with the main plot. I guess this is a cool thing in Witcher games but somehow bad in RDR games? in any case getting lost in the wilderness trying to track a rare squirrel or something is the absolute best; the environment is so beautiful it's a joy just soaking it all in with your horse bud.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah that is a seriously stupid rear end take on RDR 2. There were lots of interactions with random NPCs when you 'go off the rails' of the missions. The 'reward' was meeting crazy characters that were all voiced acted and animated and had absolutely nothing to do with the main plot. I guess this is a cool thing in Witcher games but somehow bad in RDR games? in any case getting lost in the wilderness trying to track a rare squirrel or something is the absolute best; the environment is so beautiful it's a joy just soaking it all in with your horse bud.

I guess I could give exploring another shot, but I've tried it several times and always get blindsided by something. Accidentally pissing off a character and starting a fight, sometimes resulting in them pulling out a gun and one-shot killing you. Accidentally generating a bounty by being too close to a crime scene without realizing it or something as inane as firing your gun at trees with no one around. Losing honor because you failed to save someone in time even though it didn't give you enough time to even find where they were. Constantly being prodded on what to eat, when to rest, when to bathe, that I'm too cold or too hot, my horse needs to be petted/bathed, etc. Any time you scavenge for items its so sluggish it makes me not even want to stop and pick them up.

I feel like if they had dialed down the attempt for total realism by like 30% it would be an excellent chill game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

American McGay posted:

I did not play RDR2 but what you mention about the BOTW world is exactly the issue I had with GTA V and RDR 1. I would go off and explore between missions and find cool spots but they would turn out to be empty and worthless; just set pieces that were only relevant during particular story missions, not before or after. Less of a problem with GTA since its inherently busier and more populated but still obvious. Playing BOTW I enjoyed exploring- I knew I would find landmarks and POIs but I also knew I shouldn't expect to find NPCs, gear, etc associated with them. Nice to know RDR2 solved that problem though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I guess I could give exploring another shot, but I've tried it several times and always get blindsided by something. Accidentally pissing off a character and starting a fight, sometimes resulting in them pulling out a gun and one-shot killing you. Accidentally generating a bounty by being too close to a crime scene without realizing it or something as inane as firing your gun at trees with no one around. Losing honor because you failed to save someone in time even though it didn't give you enough time to even find where they were. Constantly being prodded on what to eat, when to rest, when to bathe, that I'm too cold or too hot, my horse needs to be petted/bathed, etc. Any time you scavenge for items its so sluggish it makes me not even want to stop and pick them up.

I feel like if they had dialed down the attempt for total realism by like 30% it would be an excellent chill game.

I do remember accidentally hitting someone on my horse and smash cut to 15 minutes later and i'm trying to pay off a bounty that I didn't even try to get, so yeah that is a legit frustration. When it happens in the middle of nowhere though you just kill the npc and hustle outta the area :classiclol:

I'm torn on the long winded animations, though. It's extremely jarring to go directly from like AC: odyssey where riding on horseback feels extremely 'gameified' but is also simpler and requires much less investment. On the other end though being able to just magically pick up resources while youre on horseback trivializes the action, so why even have resource collecting mechanic if it takes no effort to complete?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grimes posted:

Welcome to the correct opinion

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I beat Outer Worlds yesterday. Pretty good game but it felt like it was missing a whole third of it. I mean I'm suppose to be exploring an entire solar system but only go to two (technically three) planets?

But yeah the game is good. It's basically the spiritual successor to New Vegas. Had some of the strongest role playing I've experienced in some time.

I didn't play RDR2 but his opinion is spot on with GTAV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hate that I'm loving around in the game and it says crime witnessed and there's a witness running off. I start chasing after him and, while I'm still chasing him, it says I have a bounty. How? He didn't reach anyone. Did he use telepathy to tell the sheriff that I did a crime? I don't get what the point of putting on a mask is if it still applies the bounty to Arthur.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I hate that I'm loving around in the game and it says crime witnessed and there's a witness running off. I start chasing after him and, while I'm still chasing him, it says I have a bounty. How? He didn't reach anyone. Did he use telepathy to tell the sheriff that I did a crime? I don't get what the point of putting on a mask is if it still applies the bounty to Arthur.

The disguise system is either broken or so useless it feels broken.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe dont commit crimes?? Arthur is honorable and the purest of gentlemen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The disguise system is either broken or so useless it feels broken.
Yeah it never felt like it really mattered. You could do a crime with a mask on and get away and it would still say 'Arthur Morgan: WANTED' every time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nakey jakey's video is really good but it like broke his channel cause he put so much effort in and tried to be real and some people got mad as hell that he thought rdr2 was more of the same rockstar gameplay.
His output fell off a cliff after that

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You get a lower chance of being identified the more clothes you've changed since you were last seen without a mask, but the game pretends it's just a binary thing in tutorial prompts for some reason

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rockstar are an excellent game designer and a terrible game developer.

Beautiful, rich environments to explore with awful controls and buggy mechanics that make it an utter chore to play.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I stopped playing rdr2 story for the same reason I stopped playing fe3 houses. If i wanted to watch something, I'd use my Hulu sub.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think a lot of the complaints about the playability of rdr2 are a little overblown but also I keep literally falling asleep while playing it and totalling my horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hi, I've got a technical question here about Xbox 360. Upgraded my router and it's the kind that tehnically broadcasts two Wi-Fi networks (2.4ghz and a 5ghz), but uses a single SSID and dynamically assigns devices to the preferable band. The 360 doesn't play nice with this, as it gives me an error about duplicate SSIDs when I try to connect.

Is there a known workaround for this? I can choose to have my router use two discrete SSIDs for the different bands, but I'm not gonna do that for one old device. I can suck it up and use an ethernet connection if I must, I'd just have to rearrange some of the connections on my ethernet switch and I'm trying to avoid that. Don't care to have a strong connection for the 360 as I don't have an active Live sub, but I do want it to connect to the Internet still.