Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

This question falls somewhere between an actual question and a rant....

What good is Amazon Prime anymore? I buy about $300-400 worth of stuff from Amazon a month, but it seems like half of it is coming non-prime sellers, so there is no guaranteed 2 day delivery. I check out Amazon prime video and see shows I want to watch, but when I go to watch them, I see they are only available if I have an HBO or Starz subscription. Kind of feels like a bait and switch. Same thing with Amazon music. Tons of free music included with your prime subscription? Lol..nah. If you want to listen to this album, you need to pay for the Amazon music unlimited service.

It just seems like Amazon prime is now just a paid gateway for other paid services.

I guess I'm just asking if anybody feels the same way and if there is any reason I shouldn't cancel Amazon prime because the benefits just aren't what they used to be. Thanks!

My problems depend on entirely if whatever i buy is shipped usps or not and if it is suppossed to arrive saturday or not. If its suppossed to arrive saturday it will get a encounter an unspecified delay at the local usps office after getting a departure scan until sunday and then sunday at 0515-0730 the usps driver will "not be able to access mailbox/driveway blocked" even though they don't get to that party of the route until 1130-1330 every day and then the package will be in the apartment complex amazon hub at the normal dropoff time like clockwork. The mail still arrives on saturday though. :iiam:

I get a lot of value out of prime video without ever dropping more money there so ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I guess you should wait to see how things shake out after the pandemic winds down a little. Shipping sucks right now, understandably. But if it doesn't go back to two-day guaranteed shipping, I'm going to be cancelling too. I mean shipping is still free over $25 without Prime, the only value add was that quick shipping time.

And yes every other amazon service sucks terribly.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I get free Amazon Prime for being a student and I don't think I've ever used anything it does except for the free shipping fast delivery thing (which is definitely worth it if you spend hundreds per month on stuff from Amazon). I assume they're going to get their poo poo together eventually and get that working again but you may as well cancel it until then, I don't think they give any loyalty discounts or anything.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you spend any reasonable money at Amazon/Whole Foods the CC gives you 5% off. At 4k a year, the CC rewards alone are $200.

Previously, prime shipping slipped to about a week for me but it's back to same-day / 1-day for most things. They miss their guaranteed window maybe once or twice a month for me so I just email customer service and they give me :10bux: for it

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I never know which delivery service Amazon is going to use to ship my stuff, but if it's Canada Post or Purolator then there's no speed advantage, trust me. The only good thing about the current plague is I no longer have to drag my angry rear end to the post office to get a parcel; Canada Post actually brings them to the house now instead of leaving one of those infuriating cards.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Crackwhore Barrel posted:

I’m looking for the thread where a goon buys some land, buys and renovates a camper to live in while he works on building his real house. He documents almost everything starting with clearing trees with heavy machinery. I think it was about 6-7 years ago. Does anyone remember this?

I wanna know this too please.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It wouldn't happen to be this thread, would it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505

E: Or this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518232

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

What’s the best tool to repel big spiders away from me and my living unit?

Sticky spider traps everywhere?

Mix peppermint oil with water and spray it around vents?

This thing?
https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0196710-Perimeter-1-Gallon-Centipede/dp/B008CQMKHK

Hedgeapples?

Diatomaceous Earth?

I don’t want these spiders in my bedroom or bathroom. My place is pretty clean so I’m not sure why they are popping up.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Leave them alone and they'll eat anything else that might want to live indoors with you.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Really wondering now what those choice edits several years later were intended to get rid of. :monocle:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Leave them alone and they'll eat anything else that might want to live indoors with you.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jeza posted:

If you spend 4-5k yearly on Amazon, that probably puts you in the heady top of 1% of customers, probably higher, so the cost of Amazon Prime should be pretty much a no brainer. Unless there's some really weird shenanigans going on in your purchase habits, the savings on your standard deliveries alone should cover the cost of Prime itself probably several times over. And the speedier delivery is just icing.

I just put stuff in my shopping cart and place an order on the first of the month, so quick delivery isn't important to me. Most orders over $35 ship free (5-7 days), so I wouldn't pay for shipping either way. I'm an old fuddy duddy and I like to have physical backups of my music. I'm that guy that still buys CDs, so Amazon Music was never really much use to me and it is even less use now that they introduced the pay service "Amazon Music Unlimited". I do watch a lot of movies, but it seems like every movie I want to see I either have the option to rent/buy, or need a subscription to HBO/Starz. I just hit a tipping point the other day when I was halfway through season 4 of Oz and went to watch an episode only to see that they moved it to HBO and what was included free with prime the day before, I now need to pay for an HBO subscription to watch. It's more of a rant than anything, but Amazon Prime just seems like a bait-and-switch when it comes to music and movies. I did start the 7 day free trial of HBO so I could finish watching Oz and I think I am going to keep HBO and dump prime, but I'm not sure how to do that since my subscription to HBO is through Prime :shrug:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Sometimes when I look at someone's profile, I see there is some information encoded somehow.

For example, just a few posts above:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=116132

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=120668

I figure this must be information leading to another profile on a different site (e.g. a Steam profile) and it is encoded to avoid being crawled. However, I can't figure out how to decode the information. At first glance, it seems like base64 or hex, but decoding with those just gives me junk. I'm guessing it is using a different alphabet or encoding, maybe, but I"m not sure.

Can someone explain what these are and how to decode them?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Goon Boots posted:

Sometimes when I look at someone's profile, I see there is some information encoded somehow.

For example, just a few posts above:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=116132

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=120668

I figure this must be information leading to another profile on a different site (e.g. a Steam profile) and it is encoded to avoid being crawled. However, I can't figure out how to decode the information. At first glance, it seems like base64 or hex, but decoding with those just gives me junk. I'm guessing it is using a different alphabet or encoding, maybe, but I"m not sure.

Can someone explain what these are and how to decode them?

It's probably some off-site thing that just has "put this in your SA profile so we know you're a goon"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I believe those are keys for the Goon Discord Network.

Putting them in a profile proves that the person paid ten bucks, didn’t get banned, and is who they say they are.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's several goon discords that have bots that use your profile to verify your forum account before giving you access to all the channels. They do this by asking for your username and giving you a random string of characters to put in your profile, then checking that user profile for that string. If it's there, it authorizes you.

People are just lazy about clearing then out. There's still one in my profile, for example.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Got it, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you all!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've seen some videos on YouTube that the creator had to take down due to music copyright strike. The creator will have the option of having it demonitized, taking it down, or replacing the offending piece.

Would this apply to classical music? I know that Beethoven's music is in the public domain, but would a recently recorded version be subject to a copyright strike?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've seen some videos on YouTube that the creator had to take down due to music copyright strike. The creator will have the option of having it demonitized, taking it down, or replacing the offending piece.

Would this apply to classical music? I know that Beethoven's music is in the public domain, but would a recently recorded version be subject to a copyright strike?

Yes, it’s the unauthorized use of the recording that’s specifically the problem.

Edit: Making your own cover of someone else’s song has licensing issues, too, but it probably wouldn’t be caught by The Algorithm, and I don’t know if it would fall under a copyright strike

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 25, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah a midi of classical music is fair game but any recording of it might be copyrighted by the musicians.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If your car gets impounded in Bumfuck, Indiana or a similar rural location (Idao, Nebraska, etc), and was involved in a serious crime, what sort of facility would it get taken to? I know that there are secure storage facilities for holding evidence, but what do these look like in rural locations with small police departments and limited resources? (Asking for a friend*.)

* actually mulling over a story and this is a pretty key element

Mister Kingdom posted:

Music rights are split into two parts: publishing (the actual music and lyrics, as written - in this case the Beethoven music, which is out of copyright); and master/sync - the recording and reproduction of that music. So you can have publishing which is out of copyright but the recording of it is not, if it is at all recent (like, 70 years). You'd have to go way back to find recordings which were out of copyright, unless they have been placed in the public domain.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 25, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

therattle posted:

If your car gets impounded in Bumfuck, Indiana or a similar rural location (Idao, Nebraska, etc), and was involved in a serious crime, what sort of facility would it get taken to? I know that there are secure storage facilities for holding evidence, but what do these look like in rural locations with small police departments and limited resources? (Asking for a friend*.)

* actually mulling over a story and this is a pretty key element

I'm guessing any potential evidence gets collected from it (blood spatters, hairs, fibers, etc...) and lots of pictures taken, but the vehicle itself it probably just parked in a dirt lot somewhere.

As long as you do the first part properly it doesn't matter what happens to the vehicle after.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FCKGW posted:

I'm guessing any potential evidence gets collected from it (blood spatters, hairs, fibers, etc...) and lots of pictures taken, but the vehicle itself it probably just parked in a dirt lot somewhere.

As long as you do the first part properly it doesn't matter what happens to the vehicle after.

Thanks. What if it contains so much evidence that it can't be easily removed and stored but has to remain in the vehicle (think truck or van)?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

alnilam posted:

Yeah a midi of classical music is fair game but any recording of it might be copyrighted by the musicians.
I imagine that the person creating the midi file technically has rights as a performer too, but it would be near impossible to prove ownership in most cases.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

pretty sure they'd just tow it to the nearest impound even if it is a couple hundo miles

and then send you a bigass bill for that and you'd have to find a way up there to get your car back and you're poor and the impound fee is more than you paid for the car and you were *living* in the car so you're homeless now and you hate the man even more, it was just a roach and not even yours, fuckin po's. back to hitchin

just a guess

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therattle posted:

Whatever garage/gas station that is on duty tow almost definitely has a chain link fenced in lot behind their building for this.

As to your "what if more evidence" question, then it's gonna get towed while covered/wrapped (if it there are windows broken, etc) on a rollback to the next closest department with a forensics lab that has a garage/can handle a vehicle. That much evidence collection in a vehicle is very, very uncommon.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
It seems like everything that I bake lately has been sticking to the pans. It doesn't seem to matter what pan I use or what food it is or if I use Pam or oil. Some of the worst offenders seem to be cakes and oven potatoes. Could it be my oven? If so, should I just stick to parchment paper?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

NarwhalParty posted:

It seems like everything that I bake lately has been sticking to the pans. It doesn't seem to matter what pan I use or what food it is or if I use Pam or oil. Some of the worst offenders seem to be cakes and oven potatoes. Could it be my oven? If so, should I just stick to parchment paper?

you try the thing where you dust the pan with flour/sugar after you grease it up? and maybe using something thicker like butter or crisco instead of a spray?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NarwhalParty posted:

Silicon baking mats like silpat are great.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A nice coating of butter works well for me. I usually save empty butter packets - there’s enough left in a foil packet to coat one dish really well. Leaves a bit of carbon on casseroles but it comes off with just a little bit of elbow grease.

That said, if this is a recent development it could be your pans that are in rough shape. If the enamel/coating is worn out or bits of gunk are baked on, food will definitely start sticking.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mister Kingdom posted:

There are a bunch of royalty free classical music recordings out there for free or for an affordable subscription.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

therattle posted:

Silicon baking mats like silpat are great.

Seriously, nothing sticks to these. I made pretzels which glue themselves to even greased parchment paper, and they don’t stick to silicone mats.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
As a general rule I let any spider smaller than my big toenail live in my house wherever it wants, but this one spider's been walking around my walls all day and I just saw it crawling along one of my shirts in the closet. Do spiders ever damage clothing with their webs or whatever?

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2020

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

95% certain they're more likely to eat things such as clothes moths that would eat your clothing.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah that's what I figured, I like having them around because maybe they'll eat the other bugs that are actually annoying or destructive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you're looking for public domain and/or royalty free classical music, https://musopen.org/ has a fair bit.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Does Best Buy actually recycle your old electronics or is that a lie to get you in the door when you drop them off?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I don' know about Best Buy specifically, but I imagine they all get tossed in a box and sent off to a recycling facility. There's no reason to assume that they wouldn't do that, it's a pretty low cost and effort to maintain.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When I worked at best buy we had a big bin that we threw electronics recycling in, and it would get taken away by some third party whenever it got full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Whether or not those devices actually end up getting recycled is another issue, in recent years it's turned out that a huge portion of the stuff that's supposed to get recycled just ends up in landfills because it turns out recycling is really hard and there's not really any money in it.