Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the grounds might be empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

Well, the grounds might be empty.

What will be the differentiator then?

gently caress I miss sport...

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The reopening plans I’ve seen all have a condition: ONE positive test means the whole squad isolates for 14 days and the competition is shut down again. If they are actually that strict, nothing is coming back soon.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Got a new baby so I blasted through the Aussie cric doc on Amazon and as someone who doesn’t like the Aussies I’m upset at how much I love Marnus’ goofy rear end. He would be a great ice hockey goalie. Sports deserve genuine lovable weirdos.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Remember how a virus sickened half of England’s touring party in South Africa, even though they were quarantining and isolating the sick people? Wonder what the 86% accurate antibody tests have to say about that.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Didn't they all get delhi belly in South Africa?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I don’t think it was Delhi Belly. They were quarantining players and staff in hotel rooms, so whatever it was, their doctors thought it was spreading through contact, not food/drink.

Ben Stokes’ dad caught it and spent time in a Joburg ICU.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Susie:argh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Big Bob Key had a mini-stroke. But he is ok.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I've been listening to a couple of new cricket podcasts and I thought I would share.

First is The Pitch Side Experts (https://soundcloud.com/user-707136459).

The hosts are:

Ian Bishop, Ex-West Indies fast bowler and commentator and the closest thing we have to the maître d' of the show
Tom Moody, Ex-Australian batsman and T20 Coach
Freddie Wilde, Analyst and author

The talk about all forms of cricket but the first 2 or 3 are about t20 as Freddie has just released a book (http://www.polarispublishing.com/book/cricket_2.0) and with the lock down it was a good way to get things going. It's still finding it's feet and I like Freddie and Bis more than Moods but that is personal preference. The three hosts cover different areas of the game but they work well together, that probably comes from Tom and Freddie having an already established professional relationship having worked together in T20 teams and The Hundred. IF you are worried about all this t20 all over the place don't, they have an episode built around an interview with Dale Steyn about his test carrier and views on test bowling, as well as another around test batting.

Second is Two Hacks, One Pro (https://soundcloud.com/twohacksonepro)

The hosts are:

Vithushan Ehantharajah, cricket journalist
Will Macpherson, cricket journalist
Sam Northeast, County cricketer

This one is a bit more niche as its all about English County Cricket. Only 2 episodes in but already opening my eyes to how dumb English cricketers despite their education but also informative as it about getting into the nitty gritty of a the county game. It was meant to go along with this seasons play but Covid put a stop to that. So instead they have be interviewing players with the Rory Burns up first with Dom Bess and Mason Crane in the second episode. Has given me hope about the future of English spin bowling.

If you guys have any recommendations I'll happily give them a go, I'm most interested in West Indian cricket as that place is a hot bed of T20 talent and drama.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I like The Final Word podcast with Adam Collins and Geoff Lemon, it's focused on Australia most of the time though. Collins is also doing a podcast about cricket commentary with Dan Norcross from TMS called "Calling The Shots" which is okay.

In other cricket related media news

quote:

Shane Warne has ended the speculation surrounding a tell-all documentary on his life, confirming that a production is underway.

The cricket legend revealed on Fox Cricket’s A Week With Warnie that he has signed on for the making of a documentary which will be called ‘Shane’.

While he is unable to name what company he has signed with, it’s rumoured to be Amazon who made this year’s documentary on the Australian men’s cricket team, The Test.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Greatest Season that was has an oral history of the 99 World Cup - with a whole show dedicated to just the Aus-SA game!

https://omny.fm/shows/the-greatest-season-that-was-93

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He watched The Last Dance and wants a piece of the action

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I was quite enjoying The Spin podcast from the Guardian but it seems to have gone completely silent which is a shame

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Can't wait for cricket to get back underway without fans in attendance, aka, cricket

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ty for the recommending The Final Word, I had tried it in the past but I found it very Australian centric but now I have the other two I think I'll give it a go.

As for cricket, do you think we will see national teams splitting their Test and Short form setup's seeing at they are increasingly different games?

I say we will but it will, ironically, lead to more cross over rather then less but in a much more formal sense.

That is you do 6 months of one then 6 months of the other

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

MaoistBanker posted:

Can't wait for cricket to get back underway without fans in attendance, aka, cricket

restarting county cricket would probably help social distancing

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sitting on the grass bank in the sun, having a quiet few, reading a book and occasionally looking at the game in front of you.

Oh those mythical times.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

notaspy posted:

As for cricket, do you think we will see national teams splitting their Test and Short form setup's seeing at they are increasingly different games?

I say we will but it will, ironically, lead to more cross over rather then less but in a much more formal sense.

That is you do 6 months of one then 6 months of the other

Six months on, six months off doesn't seem to make logistical sense; tours only work if a test side is available to play at home in summer and away in winter. It would need to be three red, three white, three red, three white. Also India would probably schedule the IPL during a red cycle, because India.

I think code selection is more likely. T20 and Tests have less in common than League and Union, but we keep trying to shoehorn them together.

I don't know what to do with ODIs. The World Cup is nice but I can't be bothered to watch an ordinary ODI series.

Do ODIs really make more money than tests for England? England's home tests against any opposition, and away tests against Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and the Windies are usually full for four days. India's home tests can be sparsely attended; I've heard it's because it's expensive for locals to get tickets, difficult for foreigners to get tickets, and that they make stadium access and security a palaver even if you have a ticket, but I don't have firsthand experience.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

runoverbobby posted:

T20 and Tests have less in common than League and Union, but we keep trying to shoehorn them together.

Uhh, not sure how you figure this in the slightest?

League and Union are really only superficially similar. Different number of players, different scoring systems, different interchange, different tackles, plus union has multiple concepts like line-outs and mauls that just don't exist in league. I'm not particularly a fan of league or union, but to imply they're basically the same game is just nonsense.

T20 and Tests are still essentially the same sport, with a few small exceptions like fielding restrictions (fluff like ball colour, light-up bails etc doesn't really count). Sure the approach is different, but it's fundamentally the same game.

Maybe if T20 implemented a bunch of backyard cricket rules like six-and-out, one hand one bounce, can't get out first ball, automatic wickie etc (which would own imo) then I'd be inclined to agree with you.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

webmeister posted:

Uhh, not sure how you figure this in the slightest?

Tests and T20 are also only superficially similar. They involve the same biomechanics. That's about it.

The most obvious difference is the timeframe. Imagine if League had three-minute halves instead of forty-minute halves.

The scoring system and winning conditions are also completely different in a way not seen in rugby. Wickets are essential to winning a test but an afterthought in T20. In both rugby codes the scoring system and winning conditions are more or less the same.

Fair point about mauls, scrums, and lineouts, but I think it's fair to compare those to the fielding differences in red ball and T20. Slips and close catchers can decide a test match but have minimal influence in T20, similar to a League scrum. T20 bowling has nothing in common with red ball bowling apart from biomechanics. You can't bowl anything a millimetre down the leg side without being called for a wide in T20, and being driven along the ground to the outfield is considered good bowling if the fielding restrictions are over.

IMO the difference between T20 and Tests is as drastic as the difference between Union and Sevens.

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Uh, wickets are absolutely essential in T20. The best way to stop a team getting a massive score is to get 3-4 wickets early on in the innings. Then the other batters have to play more cautiously at the risk of being bowled out for 80-90.
And in Tests and T20s, the aim is still to get more runs in your innings than the other team. The main difference is that T20 cricket is designed as a batters game, so you have fielding restrictions, shorter boundaries (although these are starting to be brought in during Tests as well) and pyrotechnics and cheerleaders whenever some talentless slogger heaves one out to cow corner.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Guys, aren't you forgetting the hundred?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Saying league and union are essentially the same sport is like saying cricket and baseball are essentially the same sport.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
T20 would be improved with some wriggle like a fish though.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Vando posted:

Saying league and union are essentially the same sport is like saying cricket and baseball are essentially the same sport.

I never said this actually. I said they had a lot in common.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

runoverbobby posted:

I never said this actually. I said they had a lot in common.

You implied it with your entire argument about differences in cricket formats though.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Alright I'll keep going with this since it's been two months since I got to argue about things with you fuckers and I miss it.

The point was not to say that League and Union are more similar than people think; it was to say that T20 and red ball are more different than people think. The franchises are starting to realise this, and that's why we're seeing fewer players span three formats. The players who play three formats tend to be bad at one end of the spectrum; T20 franchises buy good test players for marketing purposes, cricket boards select good T20 players and then are baffled when they score but can't avoid getting out.

If you distill the formats you're left with "bowl ball, hit ball" in the same way the distillation of rugby is "carry ball, tackle carrier", but once you're into the details T20 and red ball cricket are different games with different objectives that happen to be played on the same field.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

T20 and Tests are completely different animals and everything from the players to the stats bear this out.

To start of with the win conditions are flipped from taking wickets to scoring runs. This causes everything else to flip round.

In Test the bowlers are the attackers, the batmen the defenders. In T20 the bowlers are the defenders, typing to keep the down while the batsmen are the attackers making the runs.

This leads to everyone developing new skills that don't work well in tests.

Batsmen are more attacking and if you listen to them they stay they need time to adapt between formats.

The type of bowling that works in the two formats are chalk and cheese. Spinners bowl flatter, fuller, and faster. Non-express pace bowlers have to be constantly inconsistent, having to master everything from slower ones to yorkers. If you look at t20 bowlers even the best only average 1 wicket a game, where as in tests its closer to 3.

I am not down playing bowling in t20, the best teams in the IPL, CPL and the PSL have bowling that is almost as good as their batting but the batting is the focus.

This then leaves ODIs. Once upon a time they were short tests but now they are long T20s, I really do think they should be dropped as format, which is awful as I do think they served a really good stepping stone between national to international level.

So I think we need to ether have a format split with players focusing on white or red ball or have the season split so that you only have one type of cricket is being played and thus players have time to re calibrate between formats. How we make sure that the national and local games line-up is going to be a ball ache, if you look at England you want Tests and our top end white ball competition to be played during the summer holidays for maximum exposure but also causing the maximum disruption to the players.

It really is a mess while we have all the different boards competing and not collaborating.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

webmeister posted:

Maybe if T20 implemented a bunch of backyard cricket rules like six-and-out, one hand one bounce, can't get out first ball, automatic wickie etc (which would own imo) then I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Now I am dreaming of the day when there is a backyard cricket world cup. Both teams have to agree on rules before the game and often the rules will change from game to game. LBW's wouldn't exist. The pitch is grassed as gently caress. Ball changes are whatever old Slaz balls/tennis balls are around. The crowds are mostly made up of the player's moms. There is at least one player not wearing a shirt.
Get this televised and it would be the sporting event of the summer.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Madkal posted:

Now I am dreaming of the day when there is a backyard cricket world cup. Both teams have to agree on rules before the game and often the rules will change from game to game. LBW's wouldn't exist. The pitch is grassed as gently caress. Ball changes are whatever old Slaz balls/tennis balls are around. The crowds are mostly made up of the player's moms. There is at least one player not wearing a shirt.

You forgot the seam made of electrical tape. Maybe cover one half of the ball with said tape to induce swing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Madkal posted:

Pretty sure XXXX beer had this as some prize for a competition they were running a couple of years back

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Madkal posted:

Does whoever owns the bat get to have a sook and go home, (thus voiding the game), when they are given out correctly?

Whose big brother has to collect the ball when it goes next door with the big scary dog?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

With no real cricket I've been watching hours of scratchy old Michael Holding and Jeff Thomson footage on youtube, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tFgtzeA2M

:eyepop:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does whoever owns the bat get to have a sook and go home, (thus voiding the game), when they are given out correctly?

Looking forward to India never completing another match

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Steve Smith built his technique around being better at test cricket and it has limited him somewhat in limited over cricket. He is still a pretty good limited over cricket and among the best in Australia. Especially in high pressure games. I think he is already one of the highest run scorers in world cup knockout games but there is a large gap between Smith in test cricket and the rest and its because of his technique.

He quite literally goes against test convention about playing in the V.

This is his scoring shots in his 200 at Old Trafford. He very rarely plays in the V between mid on and mid off. He very rarely drives at all on the offside early in his innings. He doesn't often drive on the offside off the front foot. He ends up where a ball hitting the top of offstump is one he can turn onto the onside for a single and anything outside off stump he can just leave if he wants to. He doesn't want to play straight on the offside at all really. Kohli loves driving through the offside but in a country like England where the ball swings it leaves a batsman vulnerable if the ball moves away from them.

This technique cuts off a few of the more useful ODI shots. Out of his peers I would bet money he dabs it down to third man the least. Not that he can't but his body position makes that shot a lot harder.

What Smith does is good but it requires a batsman who is absurdly patient. Its about breaking the bowler down. The bowler really has to bowl outside of his offstump or Smith just turns it around the corner off his pads. Wagner bowled into his body over and over again to force him to play and had some success. This was largely because Wagner is able to bowl about 10 million overs in a row. So it was a bowler he couldn't easily break down. In test cricket the bowler wants to make the batsman play.

In limited over cricket they can just bowl where Smith doesnt want to play because they don't need to get him out. They really actually would rather he just let everything go to the keeper.

So I think things like batsmen techniques are a prime example of where the game is a little different.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 26, 2020

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Out of his peers I would bet money he dabs it down to third man the least.
Yeah, Root and Williamson are both machines through that area.

And yeah, pretty much spot on. Smith is a fine ODI player but while I would rate him above Kohli, Williamson and Root in Tests I would rate him below them in ODIs. Though all of them have pretty much redefined what it means to be an ODI anchorman in recent years. Root is doing Trott's job at Pietersen's strike rate.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 26, 2020

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I think those 3 all show the major difference between t20 and odi.

None has a bolted on place for the world cup, kholi only getting his as politics demands it.

England are very much going for all attack all the time with their batsmen. Malan is a monster but won't get a spot as he takes a bit of time to get going (much like gayle) and Morgan has said "nope, got plenty of other options tyvm".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

notaspy posted:

Morgan has said "nope, got plenty of other options tyvm".

Particularly if they take the cokehead back, which a few people seem to be quietly lobbying for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Particularly if they take the cokehead back, which a few people seem to be quietly lobbying for.

I thought he was a pothead?