Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

didn't care for yonebayashi's part in modest heroes but the other two are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

The movie is awkward but Bowler hat guy is the best.

I took an animation class with the guy who was lead animator on Bowler Hat Guy and who was super proud of the animation they did on it, but apparently Jeffery Katzenberg hated the character. He was reduced to a smaller part in the movie because Katzenberg hated him so much, and every time footage of that character came up in reviews that Katzenberg was in, he would call for that character to appear less and was just totally disgusted that he was necessary in the movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Which is crazy because he was awesome. "Let's see... take responsibility for my own life, or blame you? DINGDINGDING! 'BLAME YOU' WINS HANDS DOWN!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ccs posted:

I took an animation class with the guy who was lead animator on Bowler Hat Guy and who was super proud of the animation they did on it, but apparently Jeffery Katzenberg hated the character. He was reduced to a smaller part in the movie because Katzenberg hated him so much, and every time footage of that character came up in reviews that Katzenberg was in, he would call for that character to appear less and was just totally disgusted that he was necessary in the movie.

I'm astonished that every time I hear a Katzenberg story it's always about him making a bad decision.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Robindaybird posted:

Rock-a-Doodle is basically the start of Bluth's downward streak that only stopped with Anastasia.

It's not by any stretch a good movie, it did have some fun bits and isn't as weirdly horny-creepy as Thumbelina, Troll in Central Park, and Pebble and the Penguin after it.

Wait wait wait.
Wait.
I think this got overlooked a bit.
Pebble and the Penguin is horny? loving Troll in Central Park is horny?!?
What?

I've never watched any of those movies but from what bits and pieces I've seen around, they don't... LOOK horny.
(I've seen a review of Thumbelina by Lindsay Ellis back when she called herself the Nostalgia Chick, and yeah, that movie is horny, no objections there)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm astonished that every time I hear a Katzenberg story it's always about him making a bad decision.

Not that I'm going to whiteknight Michael Eisner but I feel like everything people make fun of him for could much more easily apply to Katzenberg.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait wait wait.
Wait.
What?

The titular Troll was really into the four year old Rosie in a way that is really weird and kind of inappropriate for her age.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

The titular Troll was really into the four year old Rosie in a way that is really weird and kind of inappropriate for her age.

oh lord no

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

tell me that you are exaggerating for comedic effect

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

paradoxGentleman posted:

That's... no, that's a pretty cold take on that movie. It's got hardcore pedo vibes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Don Bluth is horny for teeth

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait wait wait.
Wait.
What?

I've never watched any of those movies but from what bits and pieces I've seen around, they don't... LOOK horny.
(I've seen a review of Thumbelina by Lindsay Ellis back when she called herself the Nostalgia Chick, and yeah, that movie is horny, no objections there)

Pebble is all about penguin A trying to woo another (weirdly shapely) penguin B. Meanwhile penguin C kidnaps penguin B to force her to be his mate

Like that's the entire film. Well that and bad music

except the opening song, I kinda like it

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
P sure every Don Bluth movie is uncomfortably horny in retrospect

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Except for The Land Before Time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phylodox posted:

There's horns on so many dinosaurs

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

World Famous W posted:

Pebble is all about penguin A trying to woo another (weirdly shapely) penguin B. Meanwhile penguin C kidnaps penguin B to force her to be his mate

Like that's the entire film. Well that and bad music

except the opening song, I kinda like it

Thumbelina is about how the only true husband is the white dude. The antagonists seek to sexually exploit her in some way.

Pebble and the Penguin specifically states that hetero marriage is mandatory.

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

Ccs posted:

Jeeze, how long was that thing in production? Do you mean Lasseter? He was the 'no more traditional Disney villains' guy. (Instead he liked the affable types who were friendly to the hero until it turns out they were assholes the whole time. Hmmm)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bowler Hat Guy is in no way a traditional Disney villain, though.

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

Pick posted:

Bowler Hat Guy is in no way a traditional Disney villain, though.

He was very traditionally camp though. (though yes, he did have awesome backstory)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ednamamame posted:

He was very traditionally camp though. (though yes, he did have awesome backstory)

Oh, for sure. I just think he might have been the first Disney villain where you find out that even though he didn't cope very well with adversity, he had been wronged by the protagonist and the protagonist's disrespect for others/dismissal of legitimate needs (and outright requests) of others. And that righting is is, in large part, acknowledging that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the scene where he swaps his juice box with the orphanage manager's coffee as a child. That was great. (Spoilered because it reveals something about the villain that's kind of well hidden)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Really, how hard it would've been for the genius protagonist to build him a pair of earplugs?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How hard would it have been for them to make a better movie?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ccs posted:

Didn't Katzenberg leave Disney and join Dreamworks in the mid to late 90s or was Meet the Robinsons just in development hell for a long time?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phylodox posted:

That's instead uncomfortably hungry.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

paradoxGentleman posted:

The whole movie's on youtube if you want to see for yourself.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bluth is like the furry patient zero

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's instead uncomfortably hungry.

Wanna eat that fuckin' leaf.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Roth posted:

Didn't Katzenberg leave Disney and join Dreamworks in the mid to late 90s or was Meet the Robinsons just in development hell for a long time?

Hmm I thought it was Katzenberg but it might've been Lasseter. The guy who got to make decisions anyway, haha.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

man, I don't know if I have it in me. I know the design of Troll in Central Park. I don't know if I can handle seeing him get horny off a preteen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

man, I don't know if I have it in me. I know the design of Troll in Central Park. I don't know if I can handle seeing him get horny off a preteen.

I saw it out of boredom.

She's not a preteen, she's like 4.

Also, I miss Dom Deluise so much. :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh no I've already committed to watching every Bluth movie in order D:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
From what I've heard Troll in Central Park was heavily executive meddled (which seems to apply to a lot of 90s Don Bluth films) and was meant to be darker

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody watching the new Looney Tunes shorts?

Seems pretty alright so far. Really good looking animation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Roth posted:

Yes. Following Frank Wells' death in 1994, Katzenberg believed that his contract entitled him to Wells' position as president of the company. Eisner, however, simply assumed the president's responsibilities in addition to his role as CEO, and he and Roy Disney froze Katzenberg out. Eventually Katzenberg quit, sued the poo poo out of the company (I think he got something like $250 million) and co-founded Dreamworks with Spielberg and David Geffen.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Roth posted:

Anybody watching the new Looney Tunes shorts?

Seems pretty alright so far. Really good looking animation.
Yeah, I watched the first episode and was really happy with it. The monkey bird short was everything I wanted from a new Daffy/Porky cartoon.

I'm less happy with the selection of classic shorts on Max. There's only about 200 on there out of the 1000+ produced. I know the content of some shorts means they'll likely never see the light of day and anything earlier than 1937 or so is fairly unwatchable, but it'd be nice to have something approaching a complete collection.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, can someone convince me that Atlantis is a hidden gem? We watched it last night and unlike a lot of its contemporaries, I can't really say I feel like it deserved better. It's just sort of...there. I feel like the big wow moments didn't land for me the same way they did for, say, Treasure Planet, another movie with a lot of spectacle. And there definitely isn't anything as noteworthy as the relationship between Silver and Jim that anchored that movie. The character designs also felt a little all over the place. Like, Mole and Sweet standing next to each other was super weird.

Obviously Vinnie has truly spectacular jokes, and Michael J. Fox turns in a great performance. But it just never grabbed me.

Very special shout outs to what has to be the highest body count in a Disney movie (that entire sub, just full of redshirts), and the weird rear end way the villain died, which had the distinct feeling of two people arguing for their versions in the writers room until someone else side "gently caress IT WE'LL DO THEM BOTH"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Honestly? I watched Atlantis maybe a couple of weeks ago and it did absolutely nothing for me. Especially after Tarzan, which was at least gorgeous. The pacing in Atlantis is absolute dogshit, and it has way more characters than it has any idea what to do with.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Atlantis is missing like a 20 minute chunk of adventures on the submarine that would have made it one of the best animated adventure films.

Without a middle act it feels so rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Atlantis is missing like a 20 minute chunk of adventures on the submarine that would have made it one of the best animated adventure films.

:hmmyes:

This beautiful submarine is introduced with gorgeous swooping shots, and with a bridge I’d love to explore. Then it’s all destroyed 5 minutes later. Come on!