Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
What if they were super hosed and an alternate reality team just showed up with superweapons and saved them? How much of hack garbage would that be? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jack2142 posted:

I think part of SGU's problem was there was really no defined enemy to face off against. The Goa'uld and Apophis and to a lesser extent the Wraith in Atlantis helped focus the story. Even going off Battlestar you have the looming Cylon threat to push things forward. In regards to the Quantum Mirror, I feel like this makes a Stargate SG-1 Reboot plausible with the pretty commonplace alternate realties it wouldn't be hard to just roll with an alternate timeline where the series never happened and we re-activated the Stargate program like 30X years after the movie.

I do agree SG:U was a show I lost interest in when it aired and when I went back and watched it a year later after it was canceled it was much better mid-season one.

The enemy was the ship, the universe, and time. They were constantly fighting against all three of those things to survive. I guess it's harder to have a TV show where there's no easy to point at villain but there were always antagonists to work against.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I met Alaina Huffman a few years ago and she said at a panel that one of the abandoned plans for the series was to have a large number of the temporal clones of the crew make it back to Destiny instead of being shunted into the distant past and that would have lead to a sort of power struggle over who was the "real" crew. But she said they didn't have the budget to split screen every single shot or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rhyno posted:

I met Alaina Huffman a few years ago and she said at a panel that one of the abandoned plans for the series was to have a large number of the temporal clones of the crew make it back to Destiny instead of being shunted into the distant past and that would have lead to a sort of power struggle over who was the "real" crew. But she said they didn't have the budget to split screen every single shot or something.

That was the best part about Universe, was how hosed up poo poo kept getting. People thrown through time, left behind, forced to jump randomly through Stargates, etc. It was great. And I felt real actual stress at the idea of the random gate jumps in an unknown area of space

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Being isolated on an alien ship in a far galaxy is a great idea, they just didn’t do much with it. Shoulda cribbed more from lost in space than battlestar gallatica. Atlantis didn’t do enough wacky ancient technology either, the possibilities were endless.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think what put me off of SGU was that the majority of the conflict was amongst the crew as opposed to them working together. In SG-1 and SG:A there was occasionally conflict amongst themselves, but it was a big deal. As opposed to "Oh, Young is threatening to throw Rush out an airlock? Must be Tuesday."

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cojawfee posted:

The enemy was the ship, the universe, and time. They were constantly fighting against all three of those things to survive. I guess it's harder to have a TV show where there's no easy to point at villain but there were always antagonists to work against.

Maybe, I think it is harder to write those type of situations well, to go back to the BSG comp and the Cylons. Both had many episodes where x-resource is about to run out and they needed to do something. In BSG sometimes this urgency was driven by the Cylons and the stakes are higher as they are gambling the lives of humanity.

Destiny they have a lot of episodes wandering around empty desert/ice planets trying to find resource. Or they stand around impotent while Destiny suicides into the Sun and Rush/Eli save the day. Couple that with the stones showing whatever happens to the crew doesn't really matter because Earth is fine and with the Ori/System Lords/Asgard gone they are in charge of the Galaxy.

Lucian Alliance showing up on the Destiny was probably one of the better episode arcs in the series imo.

Also to piggyback I always liked the idea of the Alliance being a collection of human planets reorganized after the system lords fall, but the people who figured out how to get Gou'ald stuff working were the smugglers/criminals etc. and are like a weird fusion of mafia and legitimate government. I don't think it worked great, but I liked the concept.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 22, 2020

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I think what put me off of SGU was that the majority of the conflict was amongst the crew as opposed to them working together. In SG-1 and SG:A there was occasionally conflict amongst themselves, but it was a big deal. As opposed to "Oh, Young is threatening to throw Rush out an airlock? Must be Tuesday."

Good point. I think this is what bothered me the most also, and why the 2nd season was better they worked together more to overcome external threats.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea that was probably a part of it too. You have a galaxy to explore and be lost in but you’re squabbling with each other for no reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you have to work in a joint environment to really understand how realistic the interactions were on that show. The military gets pissed off at the civilians and contractors because they are assholes and lazy and just leave because they make their own hours. The civilians and contractors hate the military because they are all assholes and they have to leave for training and PT and "military things." The different branches razz each other but they always stick together when against the civilians and contractors. I think the only thing missing from the show was Dell not renewing a contract and one of the people on the ship having to use a stone to stay on Earth while trying to get hired by CACI to go back to the ship. Even better if CACI goes with someone else and those two people have to permanently switch lives via the stones.

Edit: Also, they forgot to have functions where military and civilians are allowed to go, but contractors can not because getting cake and punch isn't part of their contract.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 22, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean yes kinda. You could see them bickering for the first few episodes about food and stuff but after you get your deus ex machina ship to provide everything. You should group up and go off world.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
One relatively superficial thing I liked about SGU was that they went out of their way to make every planet they visited seem different and alien in some way, like they were keenly aware of the whole Planet Vancouver meme and decided to put their foot down

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
this is outta nowhere but you know what was cool? those Atlantis people that just live their entire lives on barely-functioning spaceships. should have done more with them.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

You have a galaxy to explore and be lost in but you’re squabbling with each other for no reason.

I guarantee you one of the directors of the new Star Trek series said this exact same line to its actors as sincere direction. :ughh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I kept going with SGU long after I gave up on ST Discovery, I lasted 3 episodes with the latter and haven't even tried Picard yet. I'm not objective enough when it comes to Trek, maybe, to keep giving the new incarnations much of a chance.

I think the difference is the Star Trek franchise already burned me out a long time ago, while Stargate had enough goodwill built up that I was able to make it through the first half season of SGU until it came together.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Light Gun Man posted:

this is outta nowhere but you know what was cool? those Atlantis people that just live their entire lives on barely-functioning spaceships. should have done more with them.

whoa poo poo there were Quarians in SGA? poo poo I gotta watch that

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I still think Stargate has a lot of unspent potential. I'm pretty happy the Emmerich reboot film fell through because after the independence day sequel I don't think he should be allowed to be on another set. But if a decent director got a hold of the franchise there's still a lot you can do with the universe. I wouldn't be upset with a reboot or a direct sequel series. I just hope they keep it more scienc-y like sg1 and less magic-y like atlantis.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

whoa poo poo there were Quarians in SGA? poo poo I gotta watch that

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Traveler Only in a few eps though.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
so the sarcophagus in the movie and series can heal you to the point of effective immortality/sustain a body for thousands of years, but after being revived in it Daniel Jackson still wears glasses and has allergies until the point he de-Ascends. Is it ever established whether that's Goa'uld tech or appropriated from the Ancients? On a rewatch and I'm only up to the episode where Teal'c undergoes a trial on a planet system lords frequently surprise-raid for hosts, so the primary human settlement is built *around* the stargate and not at it's opposite planetary hemispherical point. Of course.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always loved that. "THE RING OF DEATH OPENS!!!" Everyone at the crowded shopping mall panics, running pell-mell from the stargate on a loving plinth next to the fountains

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It was weird that no other planets seemed to have an equivalent to the SGC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senor Tron posted:

How many advanced civilisations did they ever encounter? The System Lords were keeping tech out of the hands of most of them and the rest were avoiding use of the network so as not to attract attention.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Senor Tron posted:

Jedit posted:

How many advanced civilisations did they ever encounter? The System Lords were keeping tech out of the hands of most of them and the rest were avoiding use of the network so as not to attract attention.

The Tollan seemed to have their own version of SG teams, but since they actually knew what the gently caress they were getting into they were a lot more cautious.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Not Evans posted:

so the sarcophagus in the movie and series can heal you to the point of effective immortality/sustain a body for thousands of years, but after being revived in it Daniel Jackson still wears glasses and has allergies until the point he de-Ascends. Is it ever established whether that's Goa'uld tech or appropriated from the Ancients? On a rewatch and I'm only up to the episode where Teal'c undergoes a trial on a planet system lords frequently surprise-raid for hosts, so the primary human settlement is built *around* the stargate and not at it's opposite planetary hemispherical point. Of course.

It's Goa'uld tech that's based on Ancient technology (like everything else.)

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Ancient_healing_device

Carter hypothesizes that it might be the origin of the Fountain of Youth.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

xerxus posted:

It's Goa'uld tech that's based on Ancient technology (like everything else.)

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Ancient_healing_device

Carter hypothesizes that it might be the origin of the Fountain of Youth.

And like all ancient tech it has a potentially terrible side effect if you don't know exactly how to use it.
In this case zombies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was great when the SGC would get some amazing tech in an episode and then it gets destroyed in the last five minutes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Togar had a kind of reverse SGC :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Watching seasons 9/10 for the first time. I...like the Ori? They’re a better antagonist than Anubis and it’s interesting to see how the ‘slavery to false gods’ defense stands up against beings who are actually gods by the standards of most polytheistic faiths.

The King Arthur stuff is pretty bad though.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I always remember Claudia Black being in a lot more episodes than she actually was. Ori were OK, the series was long in the tooth and earth was almost as powerful as the ancients. Not much further you can go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it was because I had just gone through Farscape so she stood out more to me when she was in an episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Watching seasons 9/10 for the first time. I...like the Ori? They’re a better antagonist than Anubis and it’s interesting to see how the ‘slavery to false gods’ defense stands up against beings who are actually gods by the standards of most polytheistic faiths.

The King Arthur stuff is pretty bad though.

I will die on the hill that they should have used the Ori as part of revealing the Stargate program to the world, with them managing to convert millions on Earth by rocking up and telling people about how the worlds governments have had advanced energy and medical technology that they have been hiding for years.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Senor Tron posted:

I will die on the hill that they should have used the Ori as part of revealing the Stargate program to the world, with them managing to convert millions on Earth by rocking up and telling people about how the worlds governments have had advanced energy and medical technology that they have been hiding for years.

I always wanted that with the Atlantis finale as the world just watched a loving city land in the ocean by the Golden Gate after an alien battle just took place in orbit for everyone to see. Welp, theres no way they can cover this one up, time to finally start the process and go full...gently caress they cloaked it :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mythicknight posted:

I always wanted that with the Atlantis finale as the world just watched a loving city land in the ocean by the Golden Gate after an alien battle just took place in orbit for everyone to see. Welp, theres no way they can cover this one up, time to finally start the process and go full...gently caress they cloaked it :(

Then never addressed what would happen when someone inevitably ran their boat into it, which would have happened about 20 seconds after the credits rolled.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The planned/announced third SG1 movie was supposed to deal with Disclosure of the Stargate Program to the public.

I believe that early SGU was pretty non-specific about the secrecy/state of the program because it was concurrent with the planned movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not like they didn't know about the problem. They wrote antagonists into the show that pointed out that the SGC forces gate travel on other societies but hides it from their own.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tretonin worked as a replacement immune system, in the form of a drug treatment. that would be a fully effective treatment for AIDS and every other auto-immune condition and keeping it a secret should have been considered a crime against humanity

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The reveal should've been in The Lost City when aliens destroyed an entire US carrier group.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thing is they already showed what a post gate reveal world would look like in 2001. People would be fine with it if they got to zap around in teleporters or have basically any quality of life improvement from alien tech. What else can you show? A bunch of individual people going "oh wow crazy huh?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The reveal should've been in The Lost City when aliens destroyed an entire US carrier group.

Remind me how they explained the Battle of Antarctica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Remind me how they explained the Battle of Antarctica?

Um...it was in Antarctica, who's gonna know??