Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

large hands posted:

I could've sworn I read that sight hounds were silent, Tubbs gets noisier every year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZps-iKT240

I have never, ever met a quiet Italian greyhound. They're so feisty and want you to know it. He's such a pretty boy though. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

I have never, ever met a quiet Italian greyhound. They're so feisty and want you to know it. He's such a pretty boy though. :3:

He's a whippet, but it's hard to tell scale from the video.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

large hands posted:

He's a whippet, but it's hard to tell scale from the video.

Oh, whoops! :blush: I still stand by my point of him being feisty and pretty though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The only solution is many many more pics and vids of Mr Tubbs so everyone remembers what breed he is, imo

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

The only solution is many many more pics and vids of Mr Tubbs so everyone remembers what breed he is, imo

It's the only way to be sure! :hai:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

It's the only way to be sure! :hai:

:hai:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Well here's a picture from when he was just the size of an Iggy:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
http://imgur.com/gallery/DQwpDqu

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Among all the bad news regarding Bonnie, Tazo has suddenly developed a lump by his eye, around the size of a ball bearing. (Slightly smaller, I'd say) It was initially quite pale, so I was hoping it was a skintag, but now after roughly 48hrs it's suddenly quite red and sore-looking. :ohdear: (No changes to Taz's behaviour though - he's relaxed and not stressed, etc. at least)
No idea if it's benign or not, but he'll be going to the vet in around a week. Hopefully it's good news, and I'm just worrying unnecessarily!

Aww! :3:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 27, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tazo :smith:

Everything crossed it’s just a cyst or some such. If it needs to come off, throwing out another recommendation for the comfy cone which has made a huge difference to how well Bonnie sleeps at night both times she’s recovered from surgery

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

In contrast, this is relatively "polite" for Spartacus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98HuzSDTxaQ

Normally he just keeps yelling his fool head off, but we've been ignoring him except to say we can't hear bad dogs :colbert:

It only sometimes works :negative:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

How did I not even know you have another dog :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DarkHorse posted:

In contrast, this is relatively "polite" for Spartacus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98HuzSDTxaQ

Normally he just keeps yelling his fool head off, but we've been ignoring him except to say we can't hear bad dogs :colbert:

It only sometimes works :negative:

The stare and tail wag is making me compulsively want to reach for some toys and play with MY dog

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

How did I not even know you have another dog :psyduck:

Cookie is a Very Good Girl and does not occasion much comment other than how good of a girl she is. Which would be constantly, but this is the greyhound thread so she's mostly just in the background. :3:

StrixNebulosa posted:

The stare and tail wag is making me compulsively want to reach for some toys and play with MY dog

He's great when he wants to cuddle or snuggle, or when he wants to play.

But when he gets like that there is only one thing that will shut him up, and it only comes in kibble form. And he is an absolute nuisance when he does.

I've tried to get him to play but most of the time toys just bounce off his face while he makes significant looks at the food bin :cripes:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I just watched this video on why greyhounds stare. I think Spartacus is 'requesting' food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-VAjJJ64Q

Major Isoor posted:

Among all the bad news regarding Bonnie, Tazo has suddenly developed a lump by his eye, around the size of a ball bearing. (Slightly smaller, I'd say) It was initially quite pale, so I was hoping it was a skintag, but now after roughly 48hrs it's suddenly quite red and sore-looking. :ohdear: (No changes to Taz's behaviour though - he's relaxed and not stressed, etc. at least)
No idea if it's benign or not, but he'll be going to the vet in around a week. Hopefully it's good news, and I'm just worrying unnecessarily!

Aww! :3:

Aw, poor Tazo! I hope he's okay and that it doesn't get worse before you go to the vet.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 27, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

I just watched this video on why greyhounds stare. I think Spartacus is 'requesting' food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-VAjJJ64Q

Great video! But yeah the problem isn't understanding his stares (and barks, and yells, and grumbles, and...) - I know what he wants, he's just not allowed to have it :lol:

Also more evidence that Sparty is just some kind of malformed deer: "Don't be surprised if your greyhound doesn't react the second time [you press a hurt sensitive spot]; greyhounds are stoic, and may not show discomfort even if you push harder"

He squeals in agony if he gets the leash between his toes because he's so excited about walks he gets his fool feet tangled in the lead :rolleyes: Sparty is many things, but "stoic" isn't one of them!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/df7u4TV75zw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie is really stoic about pain and discomfort but holy poo poo it is absolutely not universal, i know a couple of greys who will baroo the house down as soon as something’s up

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Josie has always hated having her feet touched and that was only made worse when she developed The Nail Problem (a form of lupus that destroys nails). Now they are finally growing back and some need to be trimmed but the vet only takes emergencies now so trimming ONE nail by ONE millimeter involves a five minute screaming crying pathetic mini escape-and-chase until I basically sit on her and then an hour of traumatised moping

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks guys - hopefully it's no big deal. Li'l Taz doesn't seem to mind at this stage, so hopefully it stays that way.

That's an interesting video! I've managed to figured out the meaning of Tazo's stares already, but that's very interesting to note, regarding pain. Taz is pretty stoic himself - even when he ran into a steel trailer a year or so ago, and hurt his chest, tearing a lot of skin. (To the point where he just didn't want to get up after laying down, since it hurt too much. But he was just silently putting up with it)
It seems like if he steps on a prickle or a gumnut, it's the most likely occasion where he'll let out a tiny yelp - but even so, it's still more likely that he'll just limp a little, while putting up with it. On the plus-side though, due to his lack of assistance with pointing out discomfort, I've managed to get pretty good at noticing the exact step he steps on something, so that I can stop and pull it out sooner haha (Since of course, he has to step on all the gumnuts that he can find, so I get regular practice :rolleyes:)

EDIT:

Hah, I wish I could convince Taz to sing along to this! :D Especially since I've been going through the Halo MCC recently, with a friend of mine

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 28, 2020

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

skoolmunkee posted:

Josie has always hated having her feet touched and that was only made worse when she developed The Nail Problem (a form of lupus that destroys nails). Now they are finally growing back and some need to be trimmed but the vet only takes emergencies now so trimming ONE nail by ONE millimeter involves a five minute screaming crying pathetic mini escape-and-chase until I basically sit on her and then an hour of traumatised moping

My dog has now developed an aversion to nail grinding, the most hilarious part being you can grind his nails for a bit, then he realizes he doesn't like it, and freaks out. Every time.

He'll be distracted and okay until the treats run out, and then it's barking and whining time. :smith:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 5, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/mchammo/status/1251604609560383489?s=12

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

patio dog

Only registered members can see post attachments!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tubbs doing his best impression of one of Lucian Freud's paintings and showing off his belly spots:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

spotty summer bellies are the best :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Sparty doesn't have belly spots but he does have a spot on his tongue :shrug:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

actionjackson posted:

patio dog kangaroo

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Sleep

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Some pretty great photos of some pretty great doggos ITT! :3:

Also, as an update for Taz, the lump is still there and I went to the vet earlier this morning. It's more than likely malignant, so it'll have to come off ASAP - especially since it's by his eye, so it could cause issues/complications if it's allowed to grow.
He should be alright though, since he's not a senior dog and the vet's confident he can get it off without issues. We'll have to wait a couple of weeks though, so we'll see what happens then.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Poor Tazo! Seems like it's the year of greyounds with cancer. Will he be able to keep the eye?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

Poor Tazo! Seems like it's the year of greyounds with cancer. Will he be able to keep the eye?

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it's this thread's year, that's for sure. And as long as it can be operated on ASAP (I've just confirmed leave with work for the surgery day, so no problems there) and doesn't keep growing in the meantime, it should be fine. Since it's not right up against the eye - there's a little bit of space, so I think there shouldn't be any worries in that regard, at this point. (Although naturally, I'm hoping it doesn't grow in the next couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes, anyway)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sending all the Good Thoughts in Tazo’s direction. He’s a good doggo. Is he still unbothered by it?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

Sending all the Good Thoughts in Tazo’s direction. He’s a good doggo. Is he still unbothered by it?

Thanks - yeah he's doing alright. The only time he WASN'T completely oblivious to the tumor's presence was when the vet gave it a thorough prodding. Aside from that, he's still his carefree self, as least! Hopefully it doesn't start irritating him, prior to the op

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s both really good and also heartbreaking when doggos walk around having cancer and not knowing the first thing about it, imo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bad news from the CT Scan :cry:

The tumour is already on or in her spinal column, so it’s really only a matter of time before it starts loving with her nervous system. So she’s either going to lose the ability to run or jump or walk well, or become incontinent, or have a lot of pain, or some combo thereof. There’s no real way of knowing how long it will take, and it could be a slow and steady decline (more likely), or a sudden decline (less likely but still possible)

Dogs, man :smith: they make you fall head over heels in love with them, and then they go and get old and sick and break your heart

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

please enjoy this video of her barking in her sleep from just a couple of hours ago as repayment for reading my bummer of a previous post

https://i.imgur.com/3iDBbtj.mp4

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

jesus WEP posted:

Bad news from the CT Scan :cry:

The tumour is already on or in her spinal column, so it’s really only a matter of time before it starts loving with her nervous system. So she’s either going to lose the ability to run or jump or walk well, or become incontinent, or have a lot of pain, or some combo thereof. There’s no real way of knowing how long it will take, and it could be a slow and steady decline (more likely), or a sudden decline (less likely but still possible)

Dogs, man :smith: they make you fall head over heels in love with them, and then they go and get old and sick and break your heart

I'm sorry man

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so sorry. Give her a hug for me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm very sorry to hear that about Bonnie :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

please enjoy this video of her barking in her sleep from just a couple of hours ago as repayment for reading my bummer of a previous post

https://i.imgur.com/3iDBbtj.mp4

I love how these dogs curl up and make themselves so tiny and cute when they sleep. So sorry to hear about Bonnie, she looks so peaceful and it's easy to see she has had a wonderful life with you.