Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Roth posted:

serial killer fandom

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Oh, y'know, the usual. People (often teenaged girls) who think Ted Bundy was 'dreamy', or started the #justiceforjahar hashtag after the Boston Marathon Bombing, or mention that they wish they were at high school with the Columbine shooters, surely they would be the one to heal his heart!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's not exactly new, either.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's when you take those times where you get morbidly curious in serial killers, except you're also horny about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Watching Bill Hicks in 2020 is so awkward.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This thread did inspire me to rejoin tumblr, so let's see how long it takes before I regret it

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Roth posted:

It's when you take those times where you get morbidly curious in serial killers, except you're also horny about it.

alright that makes sense

i mean, who among us hasn't daydreamed about sending lewds to karla homolka

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

mind the walrus posted:

Watching Bill Hicks in 2020 is so awkward.

Yeah. I used to think the 2003 invasion of Iraq made things weird when it came to Hicks. And then time keeps passing.

Bleakly, I wonder sometimes if he'd have committed suicide by now, had he not died in '93.

On a more fun note: Apparently there's a conspiracy theory that he faked his death, changed his identity, and is Alex Jones.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Please do not veer this thread towards making GBS threads on tumblr, since the point of me making it was to expose people to the good parts of a community that I feel has been maligned, in large part simply because its content is not oriented towards the loudest and most prominent fan demographics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Yeah. I used to think the 2003 invasion of Iraq made things weird when it came to Hicks. And then time keeps passing.

Bleakly, I wonder sometimes if he'd have committed suicide by now, had he not died in '93.

On a more fun note: Apparently there's a conspiracy theory that he faked his death, changed his identity, and is Alex Jones.

Honestly he strikes me as one of those guys who could have split either way, like a Dennis Miller, and ended up super broken after 9/11. Like I'm imagining Bill Hicks with a verified Twitter and it does not look pretty.

Pick posted:

Please do not veer this thread towards making GBS threads on tumblr, since the point of me making it was to expose people to the good parts of a community that I feel has been maligned, in large part simply because its content is not oriented towards the loudest and most prominent fan demographics.

I'll always go to bat for tumblr. Nazis and CHUDs have legitimately slandered and libeled the gently caress out of it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tulip posted:

this rules and provokes a lot of questions

like if it's super viscous, why would it go through anything like a urethra?

doin the piss math

Let's go easy on the vulcans cuz crude has a huge range in viscosity, I'm seeing between 2 and 11000, let's just say 100 mm/s, and being extremely lazy and assuming that it's 1000 kg/m^3 which is on the high end but it saves time. So assuming they got junk like humans, on account of them being able to gently caress humans, urethra is either about 20 or 5 cm depending on external vs internal, diameter of 3mm, and flow rate of 20 ml/s.

Plugging this into Hagen–Poiseuille, I'm getting 201 kPa for the pressure difference between the bladder and atmosphere. Human bladders will typically get up to about 3-4 kPa when you really gotta piss, so yeah the Vulcan bladder is a miracle of engineering.

fyi this is a common adaptation in desert and high altitude animals like the pika so charitably it could just have been an attempt at versimilitude

(i don't buy it either)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bashir's relationship with Garak vs Sloan is a fun one. Difference is as much that Garak is a professional while Sloan is just kind of a thug. It's pretty clear Section 31 isn't as good at the cloak and dagger stuff as the think they are; mostly they get by through exploiting corruption and leveraging the Federation's science.

Yeah, it's obvious that Garak is modeled on someone who was in the Stasi or KGB - astoundingly cunning, brilliant humint tradecraft, but ask him to come up with a technical solution and he has to rely on an unreliable third party and it gets discovered as a FAAAAAKE. Section 31 and Sloan follow the CIA/NSA model of being able to read absolutely everyone's mail and have technological miracles for days but they, like V'ger, cannot understand this simple human emotion. Or if you want to talk in terms of literary influences, Garak is from a Le Carre novel so much so that it's written into his character. "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is right on the tin, so to speak. Sloane by contrast is from, like, Clancy or Ludlum.

As long as I'm catching up:

Bob Quixote posted:

The exception to this rule should always be "How Much for Just the Planet" by John M. Ford.

That book rules.

This is one of the funniest books I have ever read (and it's a highly pointed satire in which both literal and figurative Federation root beer figures prominently - DS9 takes some inspiration from it).

And The Final Reflection also by Ford is a deep look at a more complex vision of Klingon culture than what's been presented onscreen. Discovery was supposed to have Klingons that drew more from that book as inspiration but that seemed to go away when Bryan Fuller left the project.

I also enjoyed Spock's World and the Rihannsu books, by Diane Duane. (Which give the Romulans and Vulcans a similar treatment as the Klingons got in TFR*; Ford and Duane were good friends and collaborated on a shared noncanon timeline loosely adhered to by a number of the other writers during the same era).

* because of course Klingons post in TFR. i expect mostly about how the iron sights on Klingon disruptors are clearly superior to the auto-aim targeting package on Starfleet phasers in degraded capability/high EW environments

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, it's obvious that Garak is modeled on someone who was in the Stasi or KGB - astoundingly cunning, brilliant humint tradecraft, but ask him to come up with a technical solution and he has to rely on an unreliable third party and it gets discovered as a FAAAAAKE. Section 31 and Sloan follow the CIA/NSA model of being able to read absolutely everyone's mail and have technological miracles for days but they, like V'ger, cannot understand this simple human emotion. Or if you want to talk in terms of literary influences, Garak is from a Le Carre novel so much so that it's written into his character. "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is right on the tin, so to speak. Sloane by contrast is from, like, Clancy or Ludlum.

That's a hilariously apt analogy, though it does also seem fitting that Garak knows that the fake recording may not hold up and plans accordingly- making it a classic double-layered plot where if his initial ruse succeeds it's all good, and if it fails then he works it into the next stage of the plan.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a hilariously apt analogy, though it does also seem fitting that Garak knows that the fake recording may not hold up and plans accordingly- making it a classic double-layered plot where if his initial ruse succeeds it's all good, and if it fails then he works it into the next stage of the plan.

It very much does - and the analogy holds, I think. It's good tradecraft and the Warsaw Pact side were always having to make up for poor communication and lack of resources compared to their NATO counterparts, so they tended to practice (and get good at) contingency planning a lot more.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
incidentally everyone should watch the DS9 documentary, What We Left Behind, in which AJR as Garak delivers vaguely menacing literary criticism to the showrunners between acts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Contingency planning! He's a clever guy

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

My Mom is largely a decent woman but she does have a soft-spot for charismatic stab-men. She is not unique in this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

oh but seriously I posted:

My Mom is largely a decent woman but she does have a soft-spot for charismatic stab-men. She is not unique in this

I mean, we're talkin bout Garak here

Interesting thing with Garak is that, in contrast to Dukat, he's constantly humbling himself, and presents himself as someone whose services are available for those who need them- besides flat out taking an assassin job from Quark (in of course hilarious circumstances) he works with Sisko and even Kira readily.

Kesper North posted:

* because of course Klingons post in TFR. i expect mostly about how the iron sights on Klingon disruptors are clearly superior to the auto-aim targeting package on Starfleet phasers in degraded capability/high EW environments

I loved Klingons after I realised in DS9 that their pistols are space flintlocks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
By declaration of the Obsidian Order,

Buttes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tumblr is also where I learned that print-on-demand has binding fanfiction affordable

look at this loving chonker! 800 pages!!

with color inserts! drat bucky!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Also, he AND diane duane (dduane) are on tumblr:

If you want to write to them, they'll gladly answer you.

also random tumblr stuff:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I gave Tumblr another shot recently, partially to look at Star Trek stuff, but I just can't get into social media like I used to. What I'm saying is this thread is great, thanks for everyone sharing the good poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Twitch posted:

I gave Tumblr another shot recently, partially to look at Star Trek stuff, but I just can't get into social media like I used to. What I'm saying is this thread is great, thanks for everyone sharing the good poo poo.

tumblr is dumb but heck-o i like that dumb site

it's also an a+ source of cat comics. love 'em.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
alien designs are big on tumblo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

tumblr is dumb but heck-o i like that dumb site

it's also an a+ source of cat comics. love 'em.

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

alien designs are big on tumblo

I miss your alien designs, Pick. They were weird, but good weird. Especially the one with bunny Kira and monster Jadzia sharing a friendly peck on the symbiont port.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I miss your alien designs, Pick. They were weird, but good weird. Especially the one with bunny Kira and monster Jadzia sharing a friendly peck on the symbiont port.

I literally only got a new tablet today! Life's-a gonna change in Pick-town!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my weird little romulans were the best :colbert:

e: but this was the best image

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Raptor centaur Vulcans are something. I thought they'd be more catlike, but then again, Caitans kinda have that covered.

Still reckon Jem'Hadar should be literal loving dinosaurs and/or chameleons.

My favourite is still the Breen.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Ah yes the cloaca, the Tuvix of sex organs.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 4, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

vulcans should look like basset hounds crossed w sphynx cats

because leonard nimoy and mark lenard do

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm glad people are tackling the hard questions: if Romulans were quadrupeds, would they wear their pants like this or like this?

(Seriously, tho, fantastic art!)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

I literally only got a new tablet today! Life's-a gonna change in Pick-town!

Hooray!

Pick posted:

my weird little romulans were the best :colbert:

e: but this was the best image

Lmao :hellyeah:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
one of my favorite things about tumblr is that also almost everyone has an a+ username game

anyway

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

AvengersRule

Also I'm pretty sure that's the cancer briefcase. Of all the things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The took a (technically) inhuman figure and made him...less human.