Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's ok though, she's still on the watchlist :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Vlad buff: Doesn't matter. The bigger Vlad buff is Vi getting nerfed.
Karma nerf: Doesn't affect the game plan of the deck, but it still is a reduction in the card's power level. It's like the rekindler nerf, not that important.
Shen buff: Probably doesn't matter, but 3 is a lot more than 2. Tbh I have no idea what kind of decks run shen.
Vi nerf: Enormous (and imo necessary). Still a decent card as a sturdier swiftwing lancer but no longer something you run in everything.
Hecarim buff: Substantial when paired with the Vi buff. Still not good enough imo as he was unplayed even before Vi was released
Greathorn companion: A buff to remembrance (urgh). I don't see him in maindeck but you can at least consider using him in some kind of all-in scout concept.
Loyal Badgerbear: Pretty substantial. You actually can choose to run laurent challenger now without being embarrassed in the mirror.
Grizzled Ranger: The rare double nerf. I think he's still runnable with radiant guardian.
Laurent Chevalier: Still very low tempo but no longer a 4 drop that gets humiliated by vile feast - now he only gets humiliated by mystic shot. Still an awkward card because what archetype do you run him in? Weird value shen that gets run over by deep?
Stand alone: I hated this card and one of my big concerns for this patch was Zed Stand Alone coming back. Absolutely enormous nerf, it's hard to imagine running this outside of something really new.
Kindly Tavernkeeper: Huge buff. Healing a minion can sometimes win you the game, healing face can sometimes win you the game, and 3/3 isn't an embarrassing statline for that functionality. Only issue is finding the right faction pair for him.
Boomcrew Rookie: Two of these were tbh disgusting. Probably still playable in burn.
Legion Rearguard: Totally dead card. Teemo is going to have to take his place. A huge percentage of burn's winrate was based on this card, no idea how burn will look afterwards.
Slotbot: HUGE buff. Probably an overbuff. They really want this card to be meta?
Monkey Idol: A card you can actually play with now. Still weird and bad but has a purpose.
Longtooth (Chum the Waters): Nice buff. Fizz decks still won't really want to play chum out but it's no longer a card that loses you the game by playing it.
Deep Meditation: Huge nerf. Casting this for 5 just sucks now. I am very happy this card got nerfed, this did not have to be one of Ionia's many power cards. (it's actually pretty crazy with heimer now)
Brood Awakening: Reverted buff. Big big big nerf, this was a huge power card even in a game with TF in it. I don't expect to see this around anymore which kills off a lot of decks. No idea what endure will look like now.

Deep didn't have anything touched so I see it getting a lot stronger. Ezrael might start coming back again too. Idk so much changed it's hard to say.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Honestly had a pretty decent win rate against burn decks with Karma/EZ so i'll be sad to see those decks gone but super aggro like that is pretty unhealthy for the game

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

goodby sweet prince

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm not sure nerfing both rookie and rearguard at the same time was necessary, but what the gently caress do I know.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Hmm honestly not sure if Karma thing is a nerf honestly, you tend to drop her late anyway and making her have 4hp makes it tricker to kill her

Mostly it is a nerf to going off with her when you drop her. The Grizzled bros nerf is a step further than expected but seems reasonable. The Rearguard hit seems silly when they're doing the right thing and adjusting Boomcrew but I'm sure internal testing says otherwise. Slotbot is, ugh.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

boredsatellite posted:

Hmm honestly not sure if Karma thing is a nerf honestly, you tend to drop her late anyway and making her have 4hp makes it tricker to kill her

Are you looking at leveled-up Karma's stats? She didn't get a health buff, just a cost increase.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

boredsatellite posted:

Honestly had a pretty decent win rate against burn decks with Karma/EZ so i'll be sad to see those decks gone but super aggro like that is pretty unhealthy for the game
lol, how so?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd of preferred the veteran being a 2/1 scout and leaving the 3 drop version alone myself since it has no synergies or effects, but 3/4 spider tank is still playable at 3 mana.

Overall pretty good changes, Vi no longer kills Vlad and Garen without dying herself, would of liked to see some more buffs to underplayed cards like bubble bear but his time in the meta has yet to come.
As for Shen, there are so many times 1 more attack while using him to support would of been huge so someone couldn't just use the same 3/3 to kill shen on a couple rounds.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 25, 2020

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

it's a huge nerf for expedition at least, where you're mostly playing her to draw a bunch of spells, and not building around her transformed abilitty

edit: the badgerbear nerf was probably done for the same reason. having access to a 3 mana 4/4 at common was a big reason why demacia's winrate was so much higher than everything else

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 25, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I'm excited for that free rainbow Poro and rainbow poro emote.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I love change. I'm excited for all these changes.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the changes are good, with the exception of leaving unyielding spirit to the watchlist instead of dealing with it this patch. i hate that card :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The double burn nerf is really loving heavy handed.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone help me with a decent Kalista/Hecarim deck? I'm not so great at deck building. I have like 20k shards and a ridiculous amount of wildcards so cost is no hurdle

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Legion rearguard gonna feel really bad now that every 1 drop can beat it instead of only most 1 drops, on top of vilefeast.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He'd feel bad if he were ever played. Now he's a straight up noob trap card, I think teemo goes back in. I'm sympathetic because designing one drops is hard there aren't many levers you can pull, but does he really need can't block now?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 25, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I feel like the only decent deck that wasn't hit was Deep. It's not like Endure was tier 1, why the hell did they have to hit Brood Awakening?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ShaneB posted:

The double burn nerf is really loving heavy handed.

I'm glad of it. One of the cores of the game is the mini game of trying to get your Champions upgraded which generally involves a few turns of back and forth. Burn could end the game in two attacks plus some DD. That's a very thin margin for stabilizing.

In a game where the economy is 2 mana for 2 direct damage, 1 or 2 mana for durable repeating 3 damage is too efficient. Face decks should generally not be able to goldfish you until the 3rd attack.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

doingitwrong posted:

I'm glad of it. One of the cores of the game is the mini game of trying to get your Champions upgraded which generally involves a few turns of back and forth. Burn could end the game in two attacks plus some DD. That's a very thin margin for stabilizing.

In a game where the economy is 2 mana for 2 direct damage, 1 or 2 mana for durable repeating 3 damage is too efficient. Face decks should generally not be able to goldfish you until the 3rd attack.
Burn is the only reliable counter to everyone just stalling until they get their instant-win combo off though, which is super loving boring.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My main concerns with patch are:

a.) Will decks be fast enough to beat Karma Ezrael?
b.) Isn't bilgewater midrange a little crazy now given how silly it is?
c.) Can anything without Will of Ionia beat Deep?

I didn't want burn nerfs without lots and lots of other nerfs, and we certainly got lots of nerfs, I'm just concerned the game is going to get slow enough that an Ionia combo deck takes over everything.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 25, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

These patchnotes make me super glad I've dropped HS for two expansions now and eased into Runeterra. Aggro nerfs! Buffs to underplayed cards! Heck, having buffs at all, what a wild feeling this is after 5+ years of HS!

This game rocks, 1.2 patchnotes rule.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I feel like the only decent deck that wasn't hit was Deep. It's not like Endure was tier 1, why the hell did they have to hit Brood Awakening?

I've been playing Swain/Sejuani pretty successfully in platinum, and the only card to get a change there is the Kindly Tavernkeeper buff. It does pretty well against burn and spiders though, so if we see less of those I'm not sure how it'll fare

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Swain/Sej had an acceptable burn matchup? Jeez in that case what was burn even suppressing? I don't disagree with the nerf I just don't know what burn was actually keeping out of the game.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

No Wave posted:

Swain/Sej had an acceptable burn matchup? Jeez in that case what was burn even suppressing? I don't disagree with the nerf I just don't know what burn was actually keeping out of the game.

They don't want hyper aggro that doesn't need to connect with the nexus to win being the deck gate keeper.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's like they've never seen a MtG burn deck in their life

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

It's listed as one of the worst matchups on the mobalytics tracker so maybe not, lol, I know it's easier to remember the good games where you win. No way it's as dismal as the 35% win rate they show suggests, though

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ShaneB posted:

It's like they've never seen a MtG burn deck in their life

Famously mtg has a game two and three

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

It's listed as one of the worst matchups on the mobalytics tracker so maybe not, lol, I know it's easier to remember the good games where you win. No way it's as dismal as the 35% win rate they show suggests, though
Ok - that makes more sense. Swain/Sej was the one real deck I thought really was being screwed over by burn in an unfair way.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sedisp posted:

Famously mtg has a game two and three

Sure, but it's not like burn doesn't have direct counters that also wins other matches. It's not even the most winning deck.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Sure, but it's not like burn doesn't have direct counters that also wins other matches. It's not even the most winning deck.

They don't want a hyper aggro deck that doesn't need to connect with the nexus being the deck gatekeeper.

Its probably not about nerfing the best deck but nerfing something they feel is bad for future meta.

Like burn should never be greed police in a game without a second match

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

No Wave posted:

I'm really sorry for this post cause I don't have card names memorized but you'll probably figure out what I'm talking about contextually if you play this lol

I don't know that suppressing is even the term for it. I've been playing various flavors of burn nearly exclusively for the last week climbing gold and more or less whether I win or not is all dependent on how the first 6 turns go and what I draw, even against other burn decks. Burn took a massive nerf here with boom rookie at 3 life it is way more likely to only survive 1 turn instead of 2, especially against slower burn decks that don't care about blowing a noxian 3 dmg for 3 or a discard 1 for 3 dmg to stall out for atrocity 10 dmg to the face. It also makes it way more likely against Ionia spell decks (which are probably 60ish percent of what I play against) that you'd get blocked by the 1/3 with 2 spell dmg following, to say nothing of ezrael versions, and those were already the hardest matchups. On top of that the 3/2 was the only 1 drop that you could tap for 1 dmg for either 2 dmg from the 2/3 or to give something else 2/2. No more 3rd turn 4 dmg 2/1 spider hits when it kills your other attacker too. Tapping the boom crew rookie for 1 dmg now to give something else +2/2 also puts it in blue bolt of death radius on the first turn of its existence.

The ONLY match up that would have gotten better would have been the scout nerfs from 4 dmg to 3 but they will still 1 shot boom crew now so it's a wash.

I guess the only question for me now is whether I join the Lux/Karma crew or whether I shift to ephemeral or atrocity slower burns cause classic fast burn is pretty dead.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

No Wave posted:

Ok - that makes more sense. Swain/Sej was the one real deck I thought really was being screwed over by burn in an unfair way.

burn was also pretty bad for decks like heimer and ez that are on the slower side

edit: also made a bunch of slower tier 3 decks like anivia ramp just totally unviable

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 26, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd be happy if they eventually reworked karma and ezreal into something different, those "I'mma kill you from 20 just from what's in hand" turns are pretty sad to go through or karma just perma-stalling the game with endless answers.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

ShaneB posted:

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/stats/champions

It's very nearly the most winning deck at 56.6%. Lucian/Vi bannermen is slightly higher at 57%, but it's much less popular.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

uninverted posted:

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/stats/champions

It's very nearly the most winning deck at 56.6%. Lucian/Vi bannermen is slightly higher at 57%, but it's much less popular.

This is data from the entirety of the new format. Burn has steadily gone down over the weeks as people tech against it.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the win rate for burn in masters is higher now than it was when that mobalytics meta tool first launched, i'm pretty sure. it disappeared at certain parts of the ladder for me (high plat), so maybe there were people teching against it there, but it has shown up again pretty frequently in low diamond and still seems to be doing well.

balancing the meta isn't solely about making sure decks are at the right win rates, the amount of matches played per archetype are also a factor. between burn having one of the highest win rates and being the most played, the meta was warped around it

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I don't have enough resources to build a new deck so if Burn gets nerfed to oblivion, I won't have a way to generate cards.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't have enough resources to build a new deck so if Burn gets nerfed to oblivion, I won't have a way to generate cards.

Play vs ai?
Play expedition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ShaneB posted:

This is data from the entirety of the new format. Burn has steadily gone down over the weeks as people tech against it.

This is untrue.