Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm over the moon with the 77 OLED and the Sonos setup. Thanks everyone for the insight and suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
I grabbed a H8F before I talked myself into spending $1500 on a TV I don't know if I'll use or appreciate. Having been an incredibly smug lad for the last couple decades and being able to say I don't own a TV I've never dealt with VESA or mounting a TV. If a mount says it supports 400x400 will it also support 300x200? Seems like the 300x200 on the H8F is not commonly listed as compatible but I don't know if that's because when it says 400x400 it means up to and any configuration of that or if they specifically need to list 300x200. I'm trying to find a floor standing mount, I like the idea of being able to move the TV around (somewhat) easily, ya'll have any suggestions on those?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What can I use to raise my TV by at least 5” so my center speaker doesn’t block it? The feet on my TV are 55” apart so I think I need 2 separate pieces and they’re 12” long. I basically just need a couple bricks but something that doesn’t look like poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Josh Lyman posted:

What can I use to raise my TV by at least 5” so my center speaker doesn’t block it? The feet on my TV are 55” apart so I think I need 2 separate pieces and they’re 12” long. I basically just need a couple bricks but something that doesn’t look like poo poo.

Is wall mounting an option? I actually got some glass cubes to raise my tv a bit because the poo poo mount I got bows from the tv.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Is wall mounting an option? I actually got some glass cubes to raise my tv a bit because the poo poo mount I got bows from the tv.
Unfortunately not. It’s a 65” TV. Maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HE1IVNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HyhZEbP22VYVM

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 26, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Unfortunately not. It’s a 65” TV. Maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HE1IVNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HyhZEbP22VYVM

This is a lovely picture because my room is dark, but I have a 65" OLED I need to raise up 5" and this is what I do, but above should work too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there an iOS app out there that will help me set the proper audio delay between my receiver and my TV? I searched and found one that costs 20 dollars and has bad reviews.

For now I just set it by eye and it looks pretty close but every now and then I'll see something that makes me think it's still a hair out of sync.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OldSenileGuy posted:

For now I just set it by eye and it looks pretty close but every now and then I'll see something that makes me think it's still a hair out of sync.

That's likely because audio sync isn't static between sources and programming so it'll change on you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That's likely because audio sync isn't static between sources and programming so it'll change on you.

Not being static between sources I can understand, but it really should be static between programming, no? Content is either in sync or it isn't. I'm not talking about instances of loose ADR here.

And as for different sources, 95% of my TV watching is done with my AppleTV, so once the delay is properly set for that, it should be good for all my TV-watchin'.

Like I said, it seems pretty drat close at the moment, I was just looking for some confirmation to erase any doubt.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OldSenileGuy posted:

And as for different sources, 95% of my TV watching is done with my AppleTV, so once the delay is properly set for that, it should be good for all my TV-watchin'.

Not necessarily. I get a different amount of audio/video sync lag between 1080p, 4k, 4K HDR 10, and 4k HDR Dobly Vision all on the same device.

That can vary further between Amazon, Netflix, etc.

So, 1080p SDR content on Netflix may have a 35ms delay, but then Amazon content only needs a 20ms delay while Netflix DV content needs 40ms.

Even THAT can vary depending on the soundtrack. Atmos soundtracks on Netflix seem to be slightly different than 5.1 soundtracks. So, 4k DV content with Atmos may be slightly different than 4k DV content with 5.1.

On top of ALL of that, Apple TV doesn't do frame cadence properly with some content. Netflix comes in both 23.976 and 24fps and AppleTV forces it all to be 23.976 fps. So, if you are watching a true 24fps source, the content is going to slowly desync with the audio until there's a frame hitch to correct the drift and it starts all over again.

And sometimes the apps themselves just gently caress up and desync audio and video a little bit until you stop and restart the stream (and sometimes the device.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there an iOS app out there that will help me set the proper audio delay between my receiver and my TV? I searched and found one that costs 20 dollars and has bad reviews.

Are you using ARC or is video going into your receiver then your TV?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you using ARC or is video going into your receiver then your TV?

ATV 4K -> Receiver -> TV

I have ARC set up for the rare occasions I want to use the built-in TV apps, but it's not the majority of my viewing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
On the topic of TV apps: my current receiver does a really lovely job of ARC (it's an old HK). At some point, I'm planning on getting a new 4K compatible receiver which should hopefully be better (right?), a new 4K compatible apple TV, as well as maybe a PS5. Are you guys saying there might be a benefit to the TV apps even after that?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wondering if anyone here might know, I'm looking into repairing my vizio m75-C1 tv and I've narrowed the issue down to a main board replacement. Problem is the exact mainboard I need seems to be sold out almost everywhere. The catch is I'm seeing listings with the same part number (756TXFCB0TK0010) but listed as belonging to M60 or M50 models. Would these work in mine? It looks the same but would there be an issue?

An update no one asked for: I got the mainboard for this tv for like 125 bucks on what I think was the Canadian arm of shopjimmy.com and it fixed my problem. I'm a big dummy and I figured this out and was able to successfully replace a circuit board with just a few days worth of internet research, so just remember if your TV dies or you catch wind of a modern flatscreen that has died in a non-obviously catastrophic manner it might be worth a little effort and a bit of gambling to fix or get one on the super-cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LG's 48" OLED is slated for June in the US for $1499.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-48cx-4k-oled-022836116.html

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought a 1440p 144hz gaming monitor right about now.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily. I get a different amount of audio/video sync lag between 1080p, 4k, 4K HDR 10, and 4k HDR Dobly Vision all on the same device.

That can vary further between Amazon, Netflix, etc.

So, 1080p SDR content on Netflix may have a 35ms delay, but then Amazon content only needs a 20ms delay while Netflix DV content needs 40ms.

Even THAT can vary depending on the soundtrack. Atmos soundtracks on Netflix seem to be slightly different than 5.1 soundtracks. So, 4k DV content with Atmos may be slightly different than 4k DV content with 5.1.

On top of ALL of that, Apple TV doesn't do frame cadence properly with some content. Netflix comes in both 23.976 and 24fps and AppleTV forces it all to be 23.976 fps. So, if you are watching a true 24fps source, the content is going to slowly desync with the audio until there's a frame hitch to correct the drift and it starts all over again.

And sometimes the apps themselves just gently caress up and desync audio and video a little bit until you stop and restart the stream (and sometimes the device.)

A/V sync is the bane of digital content & hardware. I've been watching quite a bit of Season 1 of 30 Rock on Amazon Prime, and wondering what the gently caress is wrong with my gear (or the Amazon Roku app) because it sometimes seems like the audio is several frames ahead of the video. But now I just checked using my PC, and see the same issue. I think the actual source content is hosed. If anyone doesn't have anything better to do, please check out the first minute of Season 1, Episode 21, and let me know if the lipsync is way off.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

bull3964 posted:

LG's 48" OLED is slated for June in the US for $1499.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-48cx-4k-oled-022836116.html

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought a 1440p 144hz gaming monitor right about now.

Also given that LGs MSRPs are, shall we say, negotiable, I’m guessing this will actually debut closer to $1,200.

Pricy for a monitor to be sure, but drat. I’m also really wishing I didn’t buy a 5k ultrawide last fall...

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Number_6 posted:

A/V sync is the bane of digital content & hardware. I've been watching quite a bit of Season 1 of 30 Rock on Amazon Prime, and wondering what the gently caress is wrong with my gear (or the Amazon Roku app) because it sometimes seems like the audio is several frames ahead of the video. But now I just checked using my PC, and see the same issue. I think the actual source content is hosed. If anyone doesn't have anything better to do, please check out the first minute of Season 1, Episode 21, and let me know if the lipsync is way off.

Played the first minute, sync is off on my PC too

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

PSA Reminder that HBO Max is out today and a bunch of people are getting it free depending on your phone/TV/internet packages.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R615 $430 shipped

TCL 55R617 $420 shipped with code

Sony 55" X800+$150 gift card $750 shipped

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Taima posted:

PSA Reminder that HBO Max is out today and a bunch of people are getting it free depending on your phone/TV/internet packages.

After I cut cable TV I switched to an online only HBO Now, then I got an Xfinity Flex which only works if your HBO sub is part of your cable package. Wondering if this will somehow allow me to watch HBO on it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I'm not super familiar with Flex but this could help, maybe:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hbo-max-comcast-deal-warnermedia-1234617114/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I may be getting some money in the near future, and I'd like to get a new TV with it.

Currently have a 42 Inch LG TV that is 6+ years old. It works fine, but I'd like something that is bigger and 4K for my Amazon Prime Subscription and for when I (hopefully) get a PS5 in the near future.

What are people's recomendations.

Things to bear in mind, I would like to go with a LG, but I could be convinced to going with another brand.

Budget is around €400-€600.

Primary use will be streaming/movies with some gaming.

I'll be buying it in Ireland, so there are none of those American electronic stores.

Thanks in advance, thread.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 27, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Don't go with LG TVs at that price range, it's OLED or bust with their models. Their non OLED tvs use a form of panel that has washed out greyish blacks, in return for a better viewing angle but it's a terrible trade off unless you're a sports bar.

Americans have a wealth of good options at every price range but we don't. TCL make a great budget panel in the states but in europe they don't sell the same well featured models so don't be tempted by them.

Standard goon advice is to check rtings but it's an american centric site and a lot of the tvs on there either aren't available over here or are named differently, so be wary. 55" is the most common size now and you'll need to spend all your budget and maybe more if you want a tv that is at least decent.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 28, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Amazon.co.uk delivers to Ireland right? This looks like a good option just over your budget.

Review here

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Played the first minute, sync is off on my PC too

Thanks for checking--at least I know I'm not nuts...(at least not about that)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Number_6 posted:

If anyone doesn't have anything better to do, please check out the first minute of Season 1, Episode 21, and let me know if the lipsync is way off.

The whole episode looks out of sync to me. It's worse at the beginning, but I skipped to the end and it's still not right.

Switched to another episode and it's much better so I know it's not just my TV.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for the link. Sadly while Amazon do a lot of deliveries to Ireland they don't with some electronics and TV's are one of them.

I will try and see if any stores sell that Samsung.

I did come across this 60 inch LG for under 600. Is it any good?

It's the 60UM7100PLB.

https://powercity.ie/product/60UM7100

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

It's the 60UM7100PLB.

As far as I can tell that TV is functionally the same as the UM7300, for which there are a lot of reviews online if you want to check what I was talking about regarding the panel type creating greyish blacks.

I understand that you're used to one brand and would prefer to stick with them but generally IPS panel TVs (as used in non OLED LG screens) are not recommended at all unless you're looking for a display for a bar where colour/contrast are less important than being able to see whats on the screen from all angles. For general home usage viewing angle concerns are much less relevant and you should go for the TV with the best colour, contrast and general picture quality for the price you can afford.

Obviously it's not an ideal time right now but you didn't sound too urgent, so I'd suggest getting to a bricks and mortar store when possible to have a look at their TVs in person to see what I'm talking about. Even with the huge caveat that TV showrooms are bad places to objectively judge TVs due to a number of factors, you'll immediately be able to spot the cheaper LGs because their displays look grey and washed out next to everything else.

Otherwise without knowing exactly what shops you can order from I can't really help you too much more other than to say in your price range the only other viable option is probably gonna be a Samsung of some description.

Edit: fixed panel mixup

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 28, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Butterfly Valley posted:

I understand that you're used to one brand and would prefer to stick with them but generally VA panel TVs (as used in non OLED LG screens) are not recommended at all unless you're looking for a display for a bar where colour/contrast are less important than being able to see whats on the screen from all angles.

Got that backwards. IPS panels have good viewing angles but poor contrast/gray black levels. VA panels are what you want for good image quality viewing face on at the expense of off axis viewing having shifts. LG TVs use IPS panels while most of the rest of the industry is using VA.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" B9+$100 Dell gift card $1300 shipped - also the 65" B9+$150 GC for $1900 shipped

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Got that backwards. IPS panels have good viewing angles but poor contrast/gray black levels. VA panels are what you want for good image quality viewing face on at the expense of off axis viewing having shifts. LG TVs use IPS panels while most of the rest of the industry is using VA.

Thanks for the correction!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

As far as I can tell that TV is functionally the same as the UM7300, for which there are a lot of reviews online if you want to check what I was talking about regarding the panel type creating greyish blacks.

I understand that you're used to one brand and would prefer to stick with them but generally IPS panel TVs (as used in non OLED LG screens) are not recommended at all unless you're looking for a display for a bar where colour/contrast are less important than being able to see whats on the screen from all angles. For general home usage viewing angle concerns are much less relevant and you should go for the TV with the best colour, contrast and general picture quality for the price you can afford.

Obviously it's not an ideal time right now but you didn't sound too urgent, so I'd suggest getting to a bricks and mortar store when possible to have a look at their TVs in person to see what I'm talking about. Even with the huge caveat that TV showrooms are bad places to objectively judge TVs due to a number of factors, you'll immediately be able to spot the cheaper LGs because their displays look grey and washed out next to everything else.

Otherwise without knowing exactly what shops you can order from I can't really help you too much more other than to say in your price range the only other viable option is probably gonna be a Samsung of some description.

Edit: fixed panel mixup

Good advice. As much as a bigger TV would be nice now that we are spending almost all of our times indoors, we can wait.

When it comes to TV setup the more nerdy parts of TV setup (like deeper black colours vs greys) are likely to be lost on my partner in a way that TV size (this TV is 42 inches. This one is 55 Inches) won't be.

The viewing angle is more of a real concern. Our Living Room setup has one couch in front of the TV and the other to the right (picture a U shape in front of the TV.) So good viewing angles are likely to be a must.

I suppose a visit to a Bricks and Motar store is in order. What else should I be on the lookout for?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This is a random weird issue but when I chromecast from my computer to my vizio's built in function, it automatically sets the TV volume to 100, blasting whatever I'm playing super loud. I cant find a setting in there to change it. Any idea? It's a P series if that makes a difference.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Of course the wow factor matters and bigger is nearly always better when it comes to TVs, but in this case it's not an either/or; LGs TVs aren't cheaper than the alternatives, they just choose to use different panels to suit different needs. Everyone's use cases are different, but in your example I guess most of the time it's gonna be you gaming in front of the TV, or both of you on different sofas with whoever is on the side sofa lying with their head further away from the TV?

You have to decide if it's worth going with an LG IPS panel and always having a greyer, washed out looking display even for the people sitting right in front of it, or having a VA panel with the people sitting at more extreme angles off to the side seeing reduced saturation in the colours but the people in front of the TV having a better experience.

Generally TV showrooms are bad places to judge because the lighting is much brighter than what you'd have at home, sales assistants are going to try to upsell you to whichever company has paid them for a fancy in-shop display or whatever makes them the most profit, and the demo videos on cheaper TVs will often be lower resolution than the TV is capable of just to push you towards higher end panels.

Other options you might have available are Philips with their ambilight TVs which are pretty cool (strips of LEDs on the back that project light onto the wall behind in colours that match whatever is on the TV), or Panasonic but I don't really know much about them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks that advice does help. The viewing angle might not be a huge problem as the way the TV is now we normally turn it slightly, and we can see it fine.

As for Samsung, around Christmas time we stayed at an Air B& B and they had a pretty sweet looking Samsung TV. So I might keep it in mind. I'm sure my LG Soundbar will work with the new TV.

Thanks for the help thread.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

The Question IRL posted:

Thanks for the link. Sadly while Amazon do a lot of deliveries to Ireland they don't with some electronics and TV's are one of them.

I will try and see if any stores sell that Samsung.

It's the 60UM7100PLB.

So I actually have had this TV for about a month - was about $400 US when I purchased from Costco. I don’t think it’s actually the same as the 7300 - from what I can tell it uses a VA panel which surprises me.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-60um7100plb.2243913/

Have actually found the color accuracy and PQ to be quite good once tweaked. It is not a blow you away type screen but overall been fairly happy. Not an amazing HDR TV but I prefer it over other low end TVs and it doesn’t have any of the issues of the Vizio M I returned for this so I’m pleased.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I ordered this and unfortunately, even though it's well designed, it only raised my TV by 3" and I need 5" to clear my center speaker.

I then ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078MBL6KM/ which would just barely give me the 5" clearance but my shipment was missing some of the sticky pads so I'm returning it, but it's also poorly designed because the vertical leg and the horizontal foot don't quite align (it's a design defect, not a manufacturing one) which means the edge digs into your media console.

The stands that have a single central post aren't tall enough. There are a couple 2 leg stands that I think would be tall enough but they're $20 more, but I feel like I don't have any other options. :smith:

This: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Universal-Adjustable-Heavy-Table/dp/B01N1HXPVI/ or this: https://www.amazon.com/TechOrbits-Universal-TV-Stand-Adjustable/dp/B08112HP12/

e: Got the first one because the second one, despite having a more elegant design, it appears only the bottom 2 VESA mounting points would be supporting the weight of the TV instead of all 4. Also the shiny silver ends on the feet would be distracting.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 29, 2020

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

seiferguy posted:

This is a random weird issue but when I chromecast from my computer to my vizio's built in function, it automatically sets the TV volume to 100, blasting whatever I'm playing super loud. I cant find a setting in there to change it. Any idea? It's a P series if that makes a difference.

My Sony with chromecast built in does this too, I'm pretty sure if you hit the volume button on your phone (or whatever you're casting with) it will change the tv volume. I only noticed because we use a sound bar and it was sounding echo-ey because the TV speakers had turned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

At long last I have arrived - after 9 years of wanting an OLED display (when they were all $9000), in a few weeks I will finally be able to get my LG OLED.

I had my eye on the C9 for a while but now with the CX I'm wondering if it might be worth an extra couple hundred bucks to get the 2020 model and stand atop the mountaintop of OLED after all these years. I've watched a bunch of reviews comparing the C9 and CX over the last few days and they look to be just about identical with the exception of the bandwidth being slightly reduced on the HDMI throughput for the CX (with no real way to see the consequences of since there are no hdmi 2.1 cards yet), but that the CX is appreciably better at high motion (or low frame panning-shots?) with its improved BFI, though to be completely honest even though I consider myself pretty tech savvy...I am having a really difficult time understanding what BFI even does and for which conditions it it supposed to be best at. It is something I would definitely learn to get an eye for once I have it here, but it's hard to comprehend without a display to look at to compare with it on and off.

I plan to use it for gaming on console and movies, the girlfriend will use it for TV but I also have a powerful PC gaming rig that I'd use on the LG running between at either 1440p@120hz or 4k@60hz, which is what I'm most excited about. What do you think, thread? Is BFI upgrade on the CX worth another the extra ~$300 or just stick with the C9?