Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Captain Log posted:

I am struggling to stay interested in Destiny right now.

Struggling.

Don't force yourself to play the game, just wait until new content rolls around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Listerine posted:

Is it even possible with the time left to get 4th Horseman? I logged in for the first time in like 2 months last night, but apparently you need to do some legendary thing at 1000 light level to finish the quest and my highest guy is at 960, I haven't unlocked any bunker stuff, and none of my pals are playing so I won't have any help in doing it.

I'm in the same boat. Avoided this season and came back just to get 4th Horseman and Felwinters. Thought it wouldn't be a big deal but Seraph events are utterly terrible and increasing light level seems a lot slower than it used to be? Feels poo poo all round and of course it turns out that Lars Bakken was the design lead for this season. Y'know, the same guy who made Crucible 4v4 at launch and removed Trials despite the Crucible team all advising him the changes he wanted were not good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

hiddenriverninja posted:

Don't force yourself to play the game, just wait until new content rolls around

That's about where I'm at. I just enjoy how it scratches my itch for a shooter with rewards while being pretty mindless.

I still need to finish RDR2.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SUNKOS posted:

I'm in the same boat. Avoided this season and came back just to get 4th Horseman and Felwinters. Thought it wouldn't be a big deal but Seraph events are utterly terrible and increasing light level seems a lot slower than it used to be? Feels poo poo all round and of course it turns out that Lars Bakken was the design lead for this season. Y'know, the same guy who made Crucible 4v4 at launch and removed Trials despite the Crucible team all advising him the changes he wanted were not good.

Oh, that loving moron. Makes sense. :hmmyes:

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
I’m actually kind of digging this season? But I think that’s more to do with not playing it since a few weeks after Shadowkeep launched. Like others have said I’ve always found the key to enjoying destiny is knowing when to leave destiny alone until you wanna shoot them aliens in the head again, cause shooting the aliens in this game has always been dope.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Man that 4v4 poo poo was horrid when combined with the slow rear end movement and abilities.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CheeseFactory posted:

Man that 4v4 poo poo was horrid when combined with the slow rear end movement and abilities.

4v4 primaries only would probably be fun as poo poo in the current sandbox

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it would just go back to getting domed by teamshooting midas again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Log posted:

That's about where I'm at. I just enjoy how it scratches my itch for a shooter with rewards while being pretty mindless.

I still need to finish RDR2.

Hi, I'm Taga in HOTDOG. I haven't played Destiny 2 in about 3 months and it's still one of my favorite games of all time. I have over 1,500 hours in it, and i still think about it all the time, but nothing about the state of the game seems like its fun or worth my time. My brother is finishing up a brand new PC and wants to play Destiny with me, so well be running the campaigns co-op and maybe dip our toes in some PVP. One day Bungie might announce a sweet new raid and some new story content, and before you know it ill be back to grinding my weekly powerfuls on all 3 toons.

It's ok to take breaks. No one will be upset =)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

kecske posted:

it would just go back to getting domed by teamshooting midas again

not when you can solo kill someone with a primary in 0.7s. teamshot mida was mostly because the average weapon solo killed in like 1.2s and movement was so slow that you couldn't push the MIDA Blob

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

idk about you but I have trouble not whiffing nova bombs onto bits of sticking out terrain let alone routinely solo killing with a primary in 0.7s

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
but how

https://i.imgur.com/PJixexh.gifv

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah I just can't be bothered with the few weeks remaining. Maybe 4th Horseman and Felwinter's won't become meta, but generally speaking as a player it makes me less likely to return if I can't acquire the gear other people are using.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm still gonna try and get the gear because part of me is hoping the playerbase starts tanking enough that Bungie removes the sunsetting gear poo poo and gets some design leads who actually know something about game development.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
All you need to do for Felwinter's is the shotgun kills, right? Should take .5-1 hours.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've been dealing with a lot more straight up flying assholes in the Crucible lately. I don't know if it's just me or if something changed.

It's irritating, because Bungie doesn't let you have different zoom movement settings compared to non-zoom. Looking way up during a firefight takes a minute.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

All you need to do for Felwinter's is the shotgun kills, right? Should take .5-1 hours.

Basically, there's a little bit of story poo poo, but that's it. Even if you're on a game break it's worth just signing on and grinding it out if you like pvp, it's basically an EZ god roll mindbenders that will be good for Trials and IB through half of Y4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracelsus posted:

Pretty much. 1000 shotgun kills, and a short noncombat mission. Then run around using it for an hour or two to unlock the lore book.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah I'm not so worried about that (don't know if it expects all the bunkers unlocked/upgraded or not) but I'm mainly fretting about Fourth Horseman since my light level is going up so slow and I think it needs completion of one of those tough Lost Sectors? Tried one solo and it was hopeless so I'm gonna try and figure something out there because I loved that gun in D1 and don't wanna miss out on it. I missed Heir Apparent (or whatever the new machine gun is) because I missed Guardian Games but Bungie already confirmed it's coming back in the future like Arbalest did, but I don't know what the deal is with Fourth Horseman so got FOMO for that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah I'm not so worried about that (don't know if it expects all the bunkers unlocked/upgraded or not) but I'm mainly fretting about Fourth Horseman since my light level is going up so slow and I think it needs completion of one of those tough Lost Sectors? Tried one solo and it was hopeless so I'm gonna try and figure something out there because I loved that gun in D1 and don't wanna miss out on it. I missed Heir Apparent (or whatever the new machine gun is) because I missed Guardian Games but Bungie already confirmed it's coming back in the future like Arbalest did, but I don't know what the deal is with Fourth Horseman so got FOMO for that.

I run those rough lost sectors daily solo. I'm at 1005 light before the 21 point artifact bump.

A few tips -

Keep a SMG with anti-barrier in your top slot. Keep a sword with Overload handy. When it comes time to deal with barrier champs, wail on them with a sword until they pop their shield. SMG it, then finish with the sword.

Summon as many super mechs as you can. They help in the few spots I get stuck.

Javelins are useless unless you need to kill a bunch of trash skanks.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
The final mission in the Felwinter quest is pretty neat.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Insane Totoro posted:

The final mission in the Felwinter quest is pretty neat.

Is that the one requiring a bunch of shotgun kills?

Maybe I should just do Gambit with dual shotguns for a while. I have a fully automatic Saint IX shotty that is perfect for Gambit. I know some of the One Two punch shotguns can pair well with Liar's Handshake, but it's hard to beat seven shotgun blasts at a decent RoF.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No it's like the missions in vanilla d2 at the traveller shard to get your classes back where you were listening to voiceovers while looking at a hologram but the story you get told is WAAAAY more interesting

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Captain Log posted:

I run those rough lost sectors daily solo. I'm at 1005 light before the 21 point artifact bump.

A few tips -

Keep a SMG with anti-barrier in your top slot. Keep a sword with Overload handy. When it comes time to deal with barrier champs, wail on them with a sword until they pop their shield. SMG it, then finish with the sword.

Summon as many super mechs as you can. They help in the few spots I get stuck.

Javelins are useless unless you need to kill a bunch of trash skanks.

I'm slowly crawling to 965 light lol. I have no idea how long it's gonna take to upgrade a bunker enough to get the mechs for lost sectors available. Nobody wants to do the Seraph events either, can usually find one other person in the space who'll come over if I start one and sometimes I get really lucky and there's two/three people around but they always fail. Sometimes manage to get one tower done however and maybe two if really lucky. Thanks for the tips, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SUNKOS posted:

I'm slowly crawling to 965 light lol. I have no idea how long it's gonna take to upgrade a bunker enough to get the mechs for lost sectors available. Nobody wants to do the Seraph events either, can usually find one other person in the space who'll come over if I start one and sometimes I get really lucky and there's two/three people around but they always fail. Sometimes manage to get one tower done however and maybe two if really lucky. Thanks for the tips, though.

Are you grinding the bounties? Those can get your light level to the cap pretty quick. I can normally knock out all of them, plus the Seraph bunker bounties, in two hours. The weekly ones normally take me one or two days, with the exception of the Gambit "Cast your Super" one. That one is slow for some reason. (I'm a hunter, that's why)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I honestly forgot seraph bunkers were a thing

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

With Destiny being dead for the time being, let's talk about the future.

What's coming up for Destiny? A new expansion? A new season? An entirely new Destiny?

I don't follow Destiny news at all, so I apologize if what's next is common knowledge. I loving love this game and want them to give me reasons to keep playing.

We should have a "Prettiest Princess" contest with our characters as well. Because mine would win.

Dawn and Dusk Shader + Optimacy/Luxe/Dawning ornaments. Game over. :colbert:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discospawn wrote up a pretty good summary over in the PC thread:

Discospawn posted:

Bungie's launch of the "Targeted Engram" system (66% of legendary engram world drops) that lets us... get the same loot as we had for each of the past 3 seasons (if you buy the season pass), in addition to new Season 11 loot.

The new World Loot pool (30 weapons shared between all 3 playlists and 33% of Legendary drops in the wild) that contains mostly old weapons, half of which will be sunset as soon as the season ends.

No new armor for Tower vendors, and the only new IB rewards to be "reprisal" weapons with new perk options.

A lack of any new incentive to return to Trials (on PC at least, I guess for consoles there's a chance their increased tokens & crafting materials for win cards makes a difference, but I doubt it). A lack of any new incentive to engage with GrandMaster Nightfalls (which Bungie admitted is by design, and still seems crazy).

A new precedent from this week's TWAB that Bungie can/will fundamentally alter how perks function, making the idea of anything being a 'god roll' feel tenuous. This is accompanied by some archetype changes and promises of more frequent archetype balancing in the future, which furthers the idea that guns you like now might be arbitrarily balanced at any point (even before those weapons get sunset). Avoiding this type of thing was 1 of the fundamental justifications for why they needed to implement sunsetting ("we can't balance everything, we don't want to change how guns work/feel, etc."), and they aren't even doing it in a way that makes the clearly sub-par weapons better (Scout Rifles, Rocket Launchers, 110 Hand Cannons, etc).

A reduced incentive to engage with legacy activities like Reckoning, Menagerie, Forges, etc. (due to sunsetting as well as the "active balancing" issues above).

A lot of these things are amplified because of promises they've made for Season 12 & beyond. Season 12 gets a Tower Vendor armor refresh, and seasonal mods on all Season 12 armor are forward compatible for a year. Season 12 has been promised to be less bounty-driven (no more weekly bounties, and reduced emphasis on dailies in general). Season 12 and beyond have been promised to have weapons and armor ornaments that are unique to each playlist, distinguishing their rewards from one another.

Basically, all indications are that Season 11 will be like Season 10 but worse. You'll have some seasonal activities to engage with, but the game will remain driven by bounties and grind-y quests. Playlist activities (and their loot) will seem less relevant than ever. And if you think you'll be playing the game for the Fall Expansion / Season 12, there's even less reason to engage with the fundamental gameplay loop in Season 11 because of how quickly you'll want/need to replace anything you received from Season 11.

I've found all of these announcements and decisions to be really bewildering, and they would only seem to make sense if the Fall Expansion fundamentally alters the game in some drastic, clever way that justifies all of these decisions. But jesus, you'd think Bungie would announce some of that stuff along with all this other news if that was the case.

tl;dr: more bounty grinding, new engrams that either give old loot or Season 11 gear, and everything you pick up in Season 11 will be LL-capped and need to be replaced in Season 12. Bungie hasn't released an announcement trailer or anything for next season, so other that what they've announced, we're all in the dark.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wow. poo poo. I mean, I haven’t booted up Destiny since the season after shadowkeep but the news in these threads is just getting worse and worse. Bewildering is loving right. I miss it. It’s my favorite game of all time. But what they’re doing is just depressing. At the same time, Division boyz are having a grand old time as those developers keep making the game better, weapons stronger, perks more awesomer. They took the road of making everyone weaker and every enemy harder to beat at the start of the new expansion predictably to make the content last longer, but they then took the smart road and have been progressively reintroducing all the mechanics and balance passes that give every player back their OP godliness. It’s just maddening to watch both these developers take such different tacks. While Division becomes rad as gently caress, Destiny becomes the new Anthem.

Sounds like season 12 might be the next time to reboot the game and get back into the swing of things. That’s a ways off. And like that post above says, there’s sure as poo poo not much hope Bungie will actually come through with a good product.

My dudes seriously, take a break from this game. There are sooo many good games out right now. New and old. Gamepass is wonderful. The xbone store sales are like 80% off on great titles. There are ways to get our fix that don’t involve constant frustration and longing. I’d even go so far as to say that Bungie doesn’t deserve our playtime or money anymore. At all. If this was our neighborhood pizza fix we’ve loved for years and they suddenly started running the place into the ground, half-assing the dough, using loving yard trash for toppings we’d.. find a new pizza place. COD warzone has such badass pvp. Hell, even that Dwarf Rock Miner game is out now and it’s probably the best drat 4 person co-op to ever exist. I love you all. Don’t suffer. Leave this toxic relationship. :sever:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but Bungie only hits us because they love us

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, I just noped out the game but really wanna grab 4th Horseman and Felwinters (which I'd still have if they hadn't insisted on making a freakin' sequel rather than continually building on the first game) and it looks like my two grinds are getting light level up for Horseman and Seraph Bunker fuckery for Felwinters.

Remember when Bungie said they wanted to respect players time, and for players to just stop playing whenever and come back without any hassle? I wish they stuck to that philosophy so I could come get the couple guns I'd like then play other stuff until the end of year expansion :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yeah, it's going to take some adjustment after how long Destiny has been part of my evening, but I think it's time to explore other options.

I enjoyed Div 1 until I hit the level cap and enemies became ungodly sponge monsters.

Hell, I might even play some BF1. (FUUUUCK BFV. That's another feel bad video game story.)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Captain Log posted:

With Destiny being dead for the time being, let's talk about the future.

What's coming up for Destiny? A new expansion? A new season? An entirely new Destiny?

I don't follow Destiny news at all, so I apologize if what's next is common knowledge. I loving love this game and want them to give me reasons to keep playing.

Destiny 3, and you can kiss the Eliksni

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh yeah I didn’t even think of that. What happens to activities that only drop Sunset gear? Do those activities stay in the game or have their loot poop reduced?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Discospawn wrote up a pretty good summary over in the PC thread:

tl;dr: more bounty grinding, new engrams that either give old loot or Season 11 gear, and everything you pick up in Season 11 will be LL-capped and need to be replaced in Season 12. Bungie hasn't released an announcement trailer or anything for next season, so other that what they've announced, we're all in the dark.

That isn't completely accurate, the majority of what you'll be earning will be good through season 12-14, depending on issue date. The UI in Season 11 will be updated to let you know exactly how high you'll be able to infuse a particular piece of gear. That said, the season isn't likely to be fantastic, and if you're burned out, There won't be a better time to take a break than next season. I am pretty sure that the Y4 big expansion will be substantial, assuming they're taking some of the work they would have finished for the Destiny 3 Activision would have been requiring and moved it into D2.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh yeah I didn’t even think of that. What happens to activities that only drop Sunset gear? Do those activities stay in the game or have their loot poop reduced?

the hook to keep you in if you really want to run them is that the "redacted/targeted engrams" will drop from the legacy activities. but the goal will be to push you into the new poo poo.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 26, 2020

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Did anyone else notice the 50 foot tall yellow bar Knights at the Moon Seraph Tower events this weekend or was that just me? I mean they were comically huge, bigger than the 3 huge knights at the end of Shattered Throne.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I think the Polaris Lance catalyst might be one of the biggest pain in the rear end things ever.

It's badly worded. But, "Hit four precision shots in a row. Then land a fifth shot that doesn't kill, but burns the enemy. Only burn damage counts."

Who loving thought that was a fun gameplay loop?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Captain Log posted:

I think the Polaris Lance catalyst might be one of the biggest pain in the rear end things ever.

It's badly worded. But, "Hit four precision shots in a row. Then land a fifth shot that doesn't kill, but burns the enemy. Only burn damage counts."

Who loving thought that was a fun gameplay loop?

That was Warmind era Bungie, EP came from there and it was next to impossible to complete.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

A dark time in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I see no point in getting an extoic ill never get the catalyst for so goodbye tp you foeth horseman.

Im general these extoic quests are just dumb time wasting bullshit. Id prefer the old system of pure randomness.