Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apparently a more recently-updated MPC is MPC-BE "MPC Black Edition" which last released December 27 2019. Apparently it has been experimenting with VR support? It looks interesting but unless your current video player isn't doing something correctly I'd leave this for enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have been using this fork of MPC-HC for a while.

Latest release was on March 23: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases

I'm not sure there is anything different from the original MPC-HC other than continued maintenance and bug fixes.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've been using PotPlayer for a while now. I like the interface way more than VLC. The only issue I have with it is that the installer offers AV software.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

is there a way that i can make VLC always open up the same size (like, as an example, 800x600, or whtever)

the reason i ask is i am capturing video at x1080 and then when i open the file in VLC it basically puts a massive VLC blob on my screen that i have to organize and continue

im working in 30 second (game capture) segments so this gets kinda tedious and i couldnt see an option to that effect

altho as im writing this post i suspect display fusion can help...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

is there a way that i can make VLC always open up the same size (like, as an example, 800x600, or whtever)

the reason i ask is i am capturing video at x1080 and then when i open the file in VLC it basically puts a massive VLC blob on my screen that i have to organize and continue

im working in 30 second (game capture) segments so this gets kinda tedious and i couldnt see an option to that effect

altho as im writing this post i suspect display fusion can help...

tools > preferences > uncheck "resize interface to video size" in the interface tab

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Weedle posted:

tools > preferences > uncheck "resize interface to video size" in the interface tab

tyvm

(i did go in and set a trigger in display fusion to center the window at 75% but your solution is the one i want)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fart of Presto posted:

I have been using this fork of MPC-HC for a while.

Latest release was on March 23: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases

I'm not sure there is anything different from the original MPC-HC other than continued maintenance and bug fixes.

Yeah the clsid fork gets regular updates for the upstream LAV filters (which are what does the real work) and misc small bug fixes. That's the one to use ever since the previous MPC-HC maintainers quit.

MPC-HC isn't being "actively developed" because it's done. The bug list is miniscule. Until some new video format comes out, or MS decides to change up how video output works in windows yet again, it doesn't need any active development.

VLC is way more of a moribund project IMHO. It looks more active from the outside because they occasionally push a new Pratchett-themed version name, but there are a lot of unfixed bugs. They've got bugs in their ffmpeg implementation that are long-ago fixed in core ffmpeg. For a long time I liked VLC on laptops because it had the lowest CPU overhead, meaning less CPU fan noise in the background. But I've gotten frustrated with all their unfixed bugs -- that VP9 thing hits a whole lot of videos from youtube.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Huh, Edge Chromium blocks downloading releases from the clsid MPC-HC fork "because it could harm your device."

I'm too lazy to look into it more.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Huh, Edge Chromium blocks downloading releases from the clsid MPC-HC fork "because it could harm your device."

Digital signature issue, I'd guess.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

This happens with brand-new releases only a few people have installed (the latest version came out just a few hours ago), it's a feature of Windows and has nothing to do with clsid specifically. Happens with all kinds of less popular utilities. This typically resolves itself in a few days, as more people install the program and the signature is marked as being as "trustworthy" by MS.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you hate installing and uninstalling things, I think all the video players mentioned in the thread (except CCCP which is a codec pack with a video player) can be downloaded and used for any length of time using the PortableApps launcher.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Looks like VLC is installable with the new winget package manager from MS.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Many years ago I had a home theatre PC and when I tried some different media players, Zoom Player (http://www.inmatrix.com/) was the only one that didn't stutter so I ended up buying that and have used it on my main PC ever since (I retired my home theatre ages ago when I got an NVidia Shield).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thermopyle posted:

Looks like VLC is installable with the new winget package manager from MS.

Isn't that the "not really a package manager" that just installs, doesn't maintain, upgrade or uninstall?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 24, 2020

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HalloKitty posted:

Isn't that the "not really a package manager" that just installs, doesn't maintain, upgrade or uninstall?

For the moment. It's in alpha, after all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Well it just came out in alpha.

Anyway, does anyone know how to make Edge Chromium Dev open instead of just plain old Edge when I "Continue on PC" from Edge on my android phone?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Edge Chromium Dev

I hope you disabled data collection 'through controls available in the Previews', but even then I still like the bit about 'privacy and feature settings may not work as intended':

quote:

1.2.1. Data Collection for Previews. Previews may not have included, reduced, or different security, privacy, accessibility, availability and relatability standards relative to commercially provided services and software. For Previews covered under Section 1.2, privacy and feature settings may not work as intended, and the Previews may not work with other Windows privacy settings, including the diagnostic data settings for Windows 10. Data collected from your use of the Previews, including diagnostic, technical, error reports, crash dumps and other related data from your devices running Previews may be used, stored, processed and analyzed to keep Windows and the Previews up to date, secure, and operating properly. It also helps us improve Microsoft products and services and may be used for any other purpose described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement. If you disable data collection through controls available in the Previews, we may continue to collect diagnostic information about the download, the installation and removal of the Previews and “basic” data as described in the Windows Diagnostics section of the Microsoft Privacy Statement. The Microsoft Privacy Statement (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=521839), and this paragraph, applies to Previews under Section 1.2.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've lately spent my time in lockdown ripping my music CD collection to FLAC, as a 'once and for all' kind of thing. For the sake of speed I've so far focussed on getting everything ripped and stored in the standard albumartist\albumtitle format, with coverart; but now that I'm done, I'd like to meddle with the tags and the directory structure so that everything's 'just so'.

So, I'm looking for something that can bulk-edit FLAC metadata, and build a directory structure around the metadata - so I can fix up my genre tags, putting an album's release year into its directory name, get rid of (Disc 2) in favour of continous track numbers, and so on.

I'm not bothered about retrieving & applying metadata from Musicbrainz or wherever, and Windows' 'right-click->Properties' option just doesn't feel powerful enough. Does a tool like this exist, now everyone's streaming instead?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Foobar can do all of that

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's something MediaMonkey can do. Though I'm not sure if the free version lets you pull information from databases or if you need an add-on.

The only thing that I needed to modify was downloading an add-on to to add leading zeros to the track number so my car could sort 01, 02, 03, etc instead of 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, etc.

It's been forever since I used it, but MP3TAG is a barebones system that does only the one thing.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

astral posted:

I hope you disabled data collection 'through controls available in the Previews', but even then I still like the bit about 'privacy and feature settings may not work as intended':

No, because I'm auditing it's data collection.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spincube posted:

I've lately spent my time in lockdown ripping my music CD collection to FLAC, as a 'once and for all' kind of thing. For the sake of speed I've so far focussed on getting everything ripped and stored in the standard albumartist\albumtitle format, with coverart; but now that I'm done, I'd like to meddle with the tags and the directory structure so that everything's 'just so'.

So, I'm looking for something that can bulk-edit FLAC metadata, and build a directory structure around the metadata - so I can fix up my genre tags, putting an album's release year into its directory name, get rid of (Disc 2) in favour of continous track numbers, and so on.

I'm not bothered about retrieving & applying metadata from Musicbrainz or wherever, and Windows' 'right-click->Properties' option just doesn't feel powerful enough. Does a tool like this exist, now everyone's streaming instead?

I used easytag to sort out my collection recently. I was using the linux version but its identical on windows

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

c0burn posted:

Foobar can do all of that

Yep, best tool for any job.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Wow - plenty of responses. Thanks all, I'll give them a shot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You know how you can just hit the Windows key and start typing the application you want to quickly find/launch it? My computer stopped doing that.

Windows key opens the start menu, but typing doesn't do anything (search field does not appear). What's going on here? It affects every user on this device.

False alarm. Just had to restart. I thought I already tried that solution but I guess not :doh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 26, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You got binged

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Next time you can restart the start menu. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/133178-restart-start-menu-windows-10-a.html

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone here know how to get an iCloud calendar to sync with Outlook.com/Outlook app?

I use Microsoft's apps for email and calendar and would prefer to see everything in there.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

So the (default, because gently caress that I use Open Shell) windows 10 start menu is an "experience" now? Lol yeah I guess you could say that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hey at least the start menu opens at all most of the time when you click on it now, unlike the first couple years of Windows 10's life where it sometimes wouldn't

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A truly sad state of affairs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I realize it's a clone of a lot of things that came before it (Alfred, Wox, etc), but the new launcher that comes with PowerToys is a very fast replacement for some usage models of the start menu.

My main problem with it and the other similar solutions: remembering to use it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ha! Too true for my addled adhd brain.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Thermopyle posted:

I realize it's a clone of a lot of things that came before it (Alfred, Wox, etc), but the new launcher that comes with PowerToys is a very fast replacement for some usage models of the start menu.

My main problem with it and the other similar solutions: remembering to use it.

Yeah, not sure why binding it to Win+R to replace the built in Run dialog isn’t possible

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hi! I've been stuck using iTunes for forever because I like the music library model and I have an iPhone and that's my primary way of listening to music, so I was kind of bought in.

Unfortunately, recently I got stuck by a common bug where iTunes (on Windows and my iPhone) won't fully play through newly added songs, seemingly chosen at random. It's been an open bug for years and Apple seems to have no intention of fixing it, probably because it incentivizes people to switch to streaming and subscription services. Which I can't/won't do for various reasons. This is greatly impeding me listening to new music, and it sucks and I want to be done with it.

I picked up WALTR for transferring music onto my iPhone, and that's fine.

Now I'm wondering about finding a replacement music player for my Windows PC. I need something that can at least import my iTunes library with the metadata, and that features robust music library management. It would be nice if it has cross-platform support in case I ever pick up a Mac again; I'm not picky about playback features. I'd ideally like something a bit polished instead of being the kind of configuration/troubleshooting mess you usually get with OSS community stuff.

Thank you for any suggestions.

e: this is a fairly powerful gaming PC on Windows 10, resource consumption isn't a big issue unless it continually pegs a core/takes like 8GB of RAM for ~23000 songs. I do need M4A support, but don't need support for old encrypted iTunes files.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 31, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

J River Media Center. But it's not free, and if you want cross-platform, you need to buy the "master license". There's a Mac, Windows and Linux version.
It might be a bit overkill for you, but the trial is free...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can you install and use Office 365 Personal on more than one Windows computer without the ridiculous notion of logging out of one install to use the other? I really have trouble finding a straight answer to this. Or do you need Family for that? And if you have family, can you do it without creating extra MS accounts for fake family members? I hear such weird stories from my mother and I have zero experience with the subscription model myself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From what I remember, Personal is limited to one person (so one account) but you can install it on as many individual devices as you want. You can be signed in on up to five of these at a time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Well, it's a shame my mother overpaid for Family then. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can you install and use Office 365 Personal on more than one Windows computer without the ridiculous notion of logging out of one install to use the other? I really have trouble finding a straight answer to this. Or do you need Family for that? And if you have family, can you do it without creating extra MS accounts for fake family members? I hear such weird stories from my mother and I have zero experience with the subscription model myself.

You need family / multiple subscriptions for more than one PC. You don't have to make extra MS accounts.

I and a friend split a family sub between us, I don't use a MS account on my PC and my friend is a "keep 7 forever" person (yes I've told him this is stupid). I made a single MS account to purchase the subscription on, enter that info during the install and then never again. It didn't change my local account or anything like that.

edit wait I guess this isn't true anymore https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-increase-device-limits-for-office-365-consumer-subscription-users/
drat I've been paying $30 extra the last year

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 31, 2020