Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

is there an "optimal" thing to use my red gems on? Like are all the sets/couriers trash or did they sneak some good ones in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Hope those Arcana can be bought post TI. I don't have the will or power or money to get the Wind Ranger arcana.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kortel posted:

Hope those Arcana can be bought post TI. I don't have the will or power or money to get the Wind Ranger arcana.

I've toyed with buying an Aegis in the past maybe this is the year I'll do it just so I can get all the sweet arcanas

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ILL Machina posted:

lol fat bane

Thanks. Was on the wrong wiki domain. Says they're only required for players <18 though?

After a quick search I also found this short article that touches on some of what I was trying to say.

https://www.techinasia.com/china-doesnt-censor-skeletons-the-truth-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom

Basically the no skeletons thing is almost entirely rampant speculation and has very little basis in fact.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Awesome link, thanks. Today I learned the ministry of culture can distinguish state-approved "religion" from "superstition" and "cults".

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

love me some trivia

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

C

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there some sort of alternative to Twitch for watching DOTA? Like even a site that just re-streans from Twitch lol.

Our network filter at the office is weird. I can go to Twitch, everything works fine EXCEPT for the video is blocked.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sab669 posted:

Is there some sort of alternative to Twitch for watching DOTA? Like even a site that just re-streans from Twitch lol.

Our network filter at the office is weird. I can go to Twitch, everything works fine EXCEPT for the video is blocked.

Usually some people restream twitch on youtube

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

I was watching ESL Birmingham last night on Youtube via my switch, its not perfect because obviously not every stream is mirrored on youtube but its good for the bigger tournaments

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's been wild to get back into dota over the last month or so with my friends for the first time in years, because all these additions like the neutral items and every hero having a scepter upgrade and the revamped skills were really throwing me for a loop for a while there. i've generally adjusted to it, i feel.

having ogre magi and undying be more popular picks is really loving with me, though. i remember back in the day when ogre was a joke pick and undying was generally regarded as useless, and i love playing both. now ogre gets reflexively banned half the time. also bristleback, another fav of mine.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that might be the craziest four minutes or so of bloodseeker i've ever seen. Good job v-tune

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Are they doing some kind of quarantine for the casters/analysts?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If you added me on steam and still need an invite to the guild please ping me!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao Liquid picked off shaker in the top lane while baiting his and MK's ults and killed the entire lane of towers + rax at 22 minutes as response

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious, what has the pro reaction to changes to the game like neutral items seemed to be? i mean i'm sure it's hard to sum up something so wide with anything concrete, but i was wondering if some pros got really turned off by it or really loved the additions. people like that are sure to have pretty distinct opinions on things of that sort. so much has changed over the years, yet it's still dota beneath it all.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm curious, what has the pro reaction to changes to the game like neutral items seemed to be? i mean i'm sure it's hard to sum up something so wide with anything concrete, but i was wondering if some pros got really turned off by it or really loved the additions. people like that are sure to have pretty distinct opinions on things of that sort. so much has changed over the years, yet it's still dota beneath it all.

And also the neutral items that got removed immediately after they were implemented, the best part of the change

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
it is literally impossible to play dota rn RIP

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Johnny Joestar posted:

Haven't seen many pro's opinions on it, but I remember Sumail said something to the effect of "you think this is random? Rune spawns can literally win or lose you mid, random items are nothing".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

everyone kinda hated it at first and then valve started nerfing a bunch of em (or straight up removing some of the items). Reactions now are very mild, and its hit or miss with people.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Capt is such a better commentator than PPD.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol streamers getting spammed with guild invites where the guild has their pic as a dick and there's no options to turn off guild invites

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

lol streamers getting spammed with guild invites where the guild has their pic as a dick and there's no options to turn off guild invites

Valve thinking things thru yet again. It's pretty crazy that having your own guild doesn't allow you to stop getting invites.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
is s4 washed now? every game I see of him now he seems to eat dookie in lane and then get stuck around 6th/7th in networth the whole game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

everyone kinda hated it at first and then valve started nerfing a bunch of em (or straight up removing some of the items). Reactions now are very mild, and its hit or miss with people.

i can definitely get that. they very much seem like something that people at the top of the food chain would dislike. now i'm kind of curious as to what the 'overpowered' ones were like.

i'm only mildly hung up on all this because they're probably the one thing i encountered when returning to dota that threw me for a loop.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can definitely get that. they very much seem like something that people at the top of the food chain would dislike. now i'm kind of curious as to what the 'overpowered' ones were like.

i'm only mildly hung up on all this because they're probably the one thing i encountered when returning to dota that threw me for a loop.

There was a tier 2 item that could be consumed to give someone an aghs buff for 3 minutes

e: a t3 item that delays your death by 5 seconds (think WK's aghs buff)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IcePhoenix posted:

There was a tier 2 item that could be consumed to give someone an aghs buff for 3 minutes

e: a t3 item that delays your death by 5 seconds (think WK's aghs buff)

holy gently caress

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

eric ciaramella posted:

is s4 washed now? every game I see of him now he seems to eat dookie in lane and then get stuck around 6th/7th in networth the whole game.

yes but also that team is just weird. I don't know why they kicked FATA, and Handsken always been underwhelming.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
yeah I liked the Fata/33 alliance a lot more than this one. I assume the kick was just loda doing loda things.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like maybe they kicked 33 for s4 and FATA left because of it

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i think s4 is actually very good and judging his skill based on his gpm is pretty dumb

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
any time you doubt s4 just remember he could have went pro in CS but he stayed with dota just cuz

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hit me up on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ponchisg/ for a guild invite

or post in LLJK chatroom in dota. Just invited a few folks

Sent a friend request to get a guild invite.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Johnny Joestar posted:

holy gently caress

I recommend looking back through some of those patch notes. They changed the drop rate to be more reliable, made ancients drop them, tried to balance them a bit. In the end it probably increases but smooths out the power curves (the same way talents did) by giving both teams 4 more items every ten mins.

They make support life more fun because you're almost guaranteed to get something cool as a hand me down.

I think it was part of trying to make the jungle more interesting. Take out the shrines, remove the side shops, add eight couriers to the map...

I could see how pros could hate it (other team got X and we only got Y, no fair) but it adds some new dimensions to the game. If it was only one item per tier it'd be very bad.

Worst thing about them is having to bind another key.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dunite posted:

Sent a friend request to get a guild invite.

please ping on steam chat if you haven't gotten an invite

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
What is the purpose of the pos4 Clinkz that you can't do with Willow or Night Stalker?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
how are people so fast with whack a meepo? jesus.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zurreco posted:

What is the purpose of the pos4 Clinkz that you can't do with Willow or Night Stalker?

Clinkz can hit buildings

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zurreco posted:

Orbwalking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's great that they invited PPD to be miserable and perpetually wrong about everything all day on the panel