Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MiniSune posted:

I hope so. They have a draw but no venues which worry me.

Bankwest & Leichardt last I heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

I like the 6 to go option, it infuriated me how the Storm, Roosters, Souths and their ilk gamed the system by constantly infringing on their goal line more or less deliberately conceding a penalty so they could get a breather and reset their line. For it to work though, the refs need to have some courage about using it liberally ALONGSIDE the sinbin not their usual cowardly options particularly with those teams.

The sin bin should have fixed this, but as usual the refs forgot about it after a month.

I remember them trying the six again rolling penalty during an All Stars game and it was loving confusing, you never knew when it had happened.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I don't blame the refs, they cracked down on wrestly bullshit a coupla years back. The usual pundits complained bitterly after a particularly bad game with a shitload of penalties and the NRL admin caved.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

ili posted:

I don't blame the refs, they cracked down on wrestly bullshit a coupla years back. The usual pundits complained bitterly after a particularly bad game with a shitload of penalties and the NRL admin caved.

Hopefully this shuts those people up.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Wasn't the whole justification for having the second referee so that we could have one referee monitor the ten metres and the other to keep a closer eye on the tacklers?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

Wasn't the whole justification for having the second referee so that we could have one referee monitor the ten metres and the other to keep a closer eye on the tacklers?

Yes. :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

And then the usual culprits bitched and moaned about it, and in a few weeks they'll be bitching and moaning about something else. Whatever uses up the airtime.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I did read yesterday that the video ref will have more involvement in the ruck.

gently caress me didn't we learn anything from last time?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

I did read yesterday that the video ref will have more involvement in the ruck.

gently caress me didn't we learn anything from last time?

One of the theories behind referees being poo poo last year was that they were getting too much advice through their earpieces. So the obvious solution is to take away the second referee so that the remaining referee has to keep an eye on more things whilst increasing the chatter coming from the video ref. NRL logic at its finest.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Knights have picked up Andrew McCullough for the rest of the season after Brailey did his ACL, that’s a relief

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress, that sucks but also good for macca. I'd have liked to see him be a one club man but he was clearly second to Turpin. Good bloke though. Take care of him.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we don’t have as many brown paper bags but we’ll do our best

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Liam Knight being interviewed on Fox, just got through talking about isolation policies with straight home from training, have to stay home etc - Yvonne asks him where his flatmate is and he replies "Oh he's out". *looks at camera realising what he said* "uh... actually he's downstairs sleeping.... uh...out like a light".

:ughh: which idiot does he live with?

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 22, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bronson Xerri suspended under anti doping rules

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The NRL is the best

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
gently caress me the Beetoota Advocate are right on the ball sometimes:

NRL Player Tests Positive To Banned Substances At Well You Can Probably Guess Which Club

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Disband Cronulla and bring back the Bears.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Disband Cronulla and bring back the Bears.

Crushers

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Rams :colbert:

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Hunter Mariners where QLD SOO hero Brett Kimmorley got his start. :v:

lol sharks

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Was he "training" with Gallen?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Was he "training" with Gallen?

No wonder his skills have been shooting up

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BobTheDestroyer posted:

gently caress me the Beetoota Advocate are right on the ball sometimes:

NRL Player Tests Positive To Banned Substances At Well You Can Probably Guess Which Club

https://twitter.com/thenrlroast/status/1265137698248945665?s=21

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

It is pretty shithouse that he tested positive in November and they only get around to announcing anything right before the competition relaunch 6 months later.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Reds.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Sky have been running a bunch of classic Warriors games, that '95 team is pretty interesting to watch. A patchwork of over the hill big names from England and Australia, a few young kiwi gems like Kearney and Jones, a few rugby union guys thrown in the deep end, and an assortment of local journeymen never really heard of before or since. Never appreciated how big John Kirwan was, also Gene Ngamu was a lot better than I gave him credit for.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 27, 2020

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
For just $22 you can get your cardboard cutout in the home stadium of your favourite team: https://www.thefaninthestand.com.au/how-it-works

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Could we get a bunch of carboard cutouts of giant syringes in the stands for Cronulla's first game?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget to do your tips for the season relaunch!

https://tipping.nrl.com/comps/57807/ladder

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

It's not letting me log in with my Google account. At least I have an excuse for poo poo tipping now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Don't forget to do your tips for the season relaunch!

https://tipping.nrl.com/comps/57807/ladder

Thanks for that, I've told myself like 10 times to put mine in this week and still only just did it

Not that it'll help but at least I tried

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Cheers for the reminder! Absolutely looking forward to crashing and burning in the table, but as long as there’s footy, it’s fine.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

V'Landys actually pulled this off, unbelievable.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Got my terrible footy food and a few beers, ready to hate both teams and complain about terrible refereeing!

THANK gently caress FOR THE FOOTY!

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

V'Landys actually pulled this off, unbelievable.

He'll get his crowds too.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I *love* that he just calls six more. No whistle.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Looks like Brisbane aren't any better than last time they played the eels.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Looks like Brisbane aren't any better than last time they played the eels.

Croft is a good player though, poo poo broken line there by Parra though

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

High speed footy so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I don't like the six again because it feels arbitrary without the whistle. I get that it will result in more points because it will tire out the defence, so maybe it will be a good thing.

The pace of this game has been impressive.