Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I think you might be ready for this now:

Okay sweet, already have the piggy bank. My next goal of trying to contain the corruption in the snow seems like it will also be getting me the stuff for a void bag and storage, but I'll also need to visit my jungle and find a dungeon. I remember dungeon from the old version... maybe? Place where you die instantly if you try to mine the walls or something?

Groetgaffel posted:

That'd be a nymph, the sole source of the metal detector accessory and cellphone component.

Hmm, what was the component? I definitely got the metal detector, it's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

I remember dungeon from the old version... maybe? Place where you die instantly if you try to mine the walls or something?

You instantly die if you haven't killed the Skeleton boss before you go into the underground layer of the dungeon

Khanstant posted:

Hmm, what was the component? I definitely got the metal detector, it's pretty sweet.

It's part of the Goblin Tech that forms a PDA and Cellphone

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Metal_Detector

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a skellington.

Is it okay to build with corrupted materials or will that spread corruption?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 26, 2020

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kill All Cops posted:

You instantly die if you haven't killed the Skeleton boss before you go into the underground layer of the dungeon

More accurately, you spawn a nearly unkillable boss that will almost certainly one-hit you on contact.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

More accurately, you spawn a nearly unkillable boss that will almost certainly one-hit you on contact.

It has 9999 HP and takes 1 damage from everything.

If you do manage to kill it, you get a pet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Unprocessed corrupt materials will spread corruption and make the area uninhabitable for NPCs. Bricks are safe.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Khanstant posted:

The raw stone and sand will but bricks shouldn't spread it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Update on the server:

quote:

:siren:Nightwisher's Home for The Dead And Constantly Dying, REVISION 3 (the first one was literally impossible, the second one isn't impossible but only in theory so far it seems):siren:

IP: 173.237.46.20
Port: 7777
Password: g00nz
Seed: for the worthy
Difficulty: Journey Mode at MasterEXPERT difficulty locked
Seed: for the worthy (Basically the dark souls of terraria worldgen)
Please use only fresh characters for this server! New players can be brought up to speed with duplication quickly but this is intended to be a "from nothing" experiment otherwise.

Thanks to everyone who has tried it so far! Hardmode is active and progression has been steady, Destroyer is down but all other bosses remain. We've got plenty of useful things researched so for anyone who wants to join will be up to speed with everyone else very quickly. Don't be afraid to join if you're worried that you won't be able to help fight much, because we could use as many people as possible regardless and the bosses have a billion health and damage so we need corpses to shovel into the death train's furnace. Also it's Journey mode so come on in and build fancy stuff! Join today!

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

Okay sweet, already have the piggy bank. My next goal of trying to contain the corruption in the snow seems like it will also be getting me the stuff for a void bag and storage

Look into a safe first -- you'll unlock the ability to buy one before a void bag anyway, because Safes are locked behind killing Skeletron. Put your piggy bank inside your safe. Include a crafting table or something to set the piggy bank on.

Now you've freed up an inventory slot compared to carrying the piggy bank and table around. You have a much easier item you can plunk down anywhere and dump your entire inventory into totally separately from your piggy bank, then once that runs out, you have a whole extra inventory's worth of space inside your piggy bank as a backup.

Later on, I'm guessing the void bag is then good for catching all the throwaway blocks and drops you don't want to bother clearing out inventory slots to make room for.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wellp, guess whoever said that the corruption can jump a max of three squares was incorrect.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You in hardmode? Break any altars yet?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirSamVimes posted:

Wellp, guess whoever said that the corruption can jump a max of three squares was incorrect.

you might have missed just one, single block of corrupt sand on your clean side and that was the end of that.

the rule of radius 3 means ANY tile within r3. it doesn't have to be in a straight line; that's just the most likely. if you had four unlucky leaps of contamination, that's impossible to see from the outside and impossible to reach without a clentaminator unless you're digging the whole thing up

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I can see why people feel the need to do trench everything, with the Dryad being a character with a built in feature to seemingly warn you that your world is getting more corrupt. I wish they had just never implemented that. There'd be none of this trench digging and nobody would have thought of deserts and ice gaining an additional biome as a bad thing. Houses, you can't really do anything about anyway because of the V upon hardmode.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I can see why people feel the need to do trench everything, with the Dryad being a character with a built in feature to seemingly warn you that your world is getting more corrupt. I wish they had just never implemented that. There'd be none of this trench digging and nobody would have thought of deserts and ice gaining an additional biome as a bad thing. Houses, you can't really do anything about anyway because of the V upon hardmode.

I didn't want my desert village with a conveniently placed pylon to get forcibly evicted and I don't know if it counts for desert fishing quests anymore. Even if it does, having corrupters pelting me makes fishing much harder. It has nothing to do with the dryad's corruption warnings. :shrug:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
You should be enclosing all your fishing pools anyway for safer fishing, just have to watch out for the enemies that can attack/move through walls.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SirSamVimes posted:

I didn't want my desert village with a conveniently placed pylon to get forcibly evicted

I think the pylon keeps working

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I can confirm that corruption will remove housing, which makes pylons not work.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The pylon will immediately break with the message that it's not in the correct biome if it isn't. I had this issue when I was growing a jungle path next to my base that turned it from a Forest to Jungle biome, chopping down the tiles closest to the base until the background changed back fixed it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

they don’t

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pylons need at least two NPCs living near them, NPCs will not live in corrupted areas.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Pylons need at least two NPCs living near them, NPCs will not live in corrupted areas.
They don't even need to be present, they just need their rooms to be there, as I had my mushroom pylon start working instantly when I told somebody to move to it but before they had a chance to actually go there since I didn't leave the screen

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Now that Terraria's "finished", what do we need? A bot programming interface! Program your own fishing/prospecting/building bots. Maybe even boss farming bots. Zacharia? Terrtronics?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also ngl as long as the Angler exists, there is a very valid reason to not want your surface desert/jungle tainted.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dischorr_N posted:

Now that Terraria's "finished", what do we need? A bot programming interface! Program your own fishing/prospecting/building bots. Maybe even boss farming bots. Zacharia? Terrtronics?

TMod to be updated so we can get mods back.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
So, my friends&family vanilla 1.4 softcore/normal server got consumed voraciously.
A literal locust swarm of miners and looters.

So, I wanted to turn it into a Calamity + other mods server. Is there anything I should be aware of? Is that even possible, if I'm using a steam-based Terraria server?
I figured I should be installing tModBrowser and copy the mods on the server but... other than that, I don't know what else I should be doing. Is that even possible under the current version?

Char fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SirSamVimes posted:

Also ngl as long as the Angler exists, there is a very valid reason to not want your surface desert/jungle tainted.

Huh. Looks like although you get both biomes' fish, the tainted biome takes priority and gets a chance to generate a fish first, only passing to the Jungle/Desert/Snow/Forest when the higher priority check fails. Good to know

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Lost surface jungle pylon to corruption. It got corrupted from jumping from the mud under that erupted on the surface. Spent half an hour cleaning it all, making breaks and got the pylon back up. Don't listen to people, corruption spreads quick.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I catch ladybirds? The wiki says during a windy day, but no details. Do I break grass during a windy day? Wait for one to fly by?
(I'm using lavaproof bug net)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

they spawn by themselves and there’s usually a ton of them at a time

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I wish bosses had a 100% chance to drop their trophies. Why don't the devs want most people to show off that they beat a boss? What a weird decision.

Woden
May 6, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I catch ladybirds? The wiki says during a windy day, but no details. Do I break grass during a windy day? Wait for one to fly by?
(I'm using lavaproof bug net)

You can see them walking around and flying without having to cut grass.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
When I do transition my master solo world to hardmode, I'm going to do as the world name suggests (The Residence of the Angler, gotta love the random name gen) and fish all of my ores/etc. I don't intend to break a single altar. Ever. I shouldn't have to worry about random corruption surprises that way. I'm thinking I'll dig a safe hellevator either before or after the dungeon and have from the ocean on that side to the dungeon to be free of hallow/corruption forever.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Trickyblackjack posted:

I wish bosses had a 100% chance to drop their trophies. Why don't the devs want most people to show off that they beat a boss? What a weird decision.

That's kinda been this whole game's post-release development really. When you add new content on a "is this cool or not" basis, you tend to forget practicality.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Woden posted:

You can see them walking around and flying without having to cut grass.

Never seen one, but I'll keep looking.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a way to filter out/toggle furniture from your crafting menu? If possible it should be nice not to have to mentally filter out the various metal/granite/sandstone chests/benches/sink/... in between all the armor, weapons and crafting stations

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 26, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

double nine posted:

is there a way to filter out/toggle furniture from your crafting menu? If possible it should be nice not to have to mentally filter out the various metal/granite/sandstone chests/benches/sink/... in between all the armor, weapons and crafting stations
I think a lot of that stuff only shows up on the Sawmill crafting station, so the easiest option is to put your anvil somewhere far enough away that you don't trigger it. There's a maximum range for that kind of thing, just pick it up and move it away a few times until furniture stops showing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

I think a lot of that stuff only shows up on the Sawmill crafting station, so the easiest option is to put your anvil somewhere far enough away that you don't trigger it. There's a maximum range for that kind of thing, just pick it up and move it away a few times until furniture stops showing.

Do note that the extendo grip and architect gizmo pack affect that range, so unequipping them may be necessary.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I haven't played since 1.3 so I jumped back in because update cool. Just starting Hardmode and my sword feels like it's falling off fast against bosses. What's the least lovely ranged option - by which I mean, less micro to maintain ammo, not constrained hard by mana regen, etc - available pre-mechanical bosses?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Minishark does very little damage per shot, but the incredibly fast rate of fire and the baked-in 1/3 chance to not use ammo make it a pretty drat powerful weapon at that stage in the game.

Since you can fill your ammo slots with 4*999 bullets at a time, ammo micro is really not a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Mega* shark. Minishark is useless on Hardmode.

DNK fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 26, 2020