Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Does anybody know where the bird in the right hand corner is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcfmZrClVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Oh thank you so much.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's pretty much a form of tane

plape noun, verb, adj., adv. 1. see: tane

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A big ole tane.

A small ole plape

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
also, tronc

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Action Jacktion posted:

The only reference I can find is in the book Sundance to Sarajevo, which says they were made by (and named after) a company called Banner Candy:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mb9qKvhqiD4C&q=bc%27s#v=snippet&q=bc%27s

drat, that is more than I could ever find. Good job. At least its enough to know I’m not crazy regarding this particular thing

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i saw an america cartoon in the 1990s where a mickey mouse like character is fighting on a ship against someone, both using swords, and the swords turn blue from the impact. that vhs was my jam as a kid!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

A series of short (~1 minute?) long web/flash cartoons. They are vaguely space opera-ish. From like 2011?

One is about a bomb or virus or something that has infected a ship and there’s a countdown. The crew turns to a literal rat who begins trying to hack the bomb and deactivate it. The rat tries and fails several times but it doesn’t work. Then the rat turns off caps lock and tries again and everyone is like “lol caps lock happens to me all the time” then the rat tries a final password and he fails and shop explodes.

There’s another one from the same author where people on a spaceship in the middle of a giant space naval battle point out that they are losing and horribly outnumbered. Then they look at a radar display and see an allied fighter doing what seems like incredible maneuvers in a space fighter. A space dog says something like “jeepers! Look at the moves on this guy! He’s an ace!”. Eventually the camera cuts the cockpit of the fighter and it’s just a dumb guy who immediately crashes.

A gold dabloon to the first goon who links me these flash cartoons from years ago.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Lpzie posted:

i saw an america cartoon in the 1990s where a mickey mouse like character is fighting on a ship against someone, both using swords, and the swords turn blue from the impact. that vhs was my jam as a kid!

Could it have been a Mighty Mouse cartoon? That dude is badass.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
just thought of one.

Back in the weebl days, they would occasionally have these little “interlude” animations between main releases.

One was a little cute character, I think with bows on their head, white character on a dark blue(?) background, bouncing. Super chill. It had some music that inspired a bit of my own work.

I think there may have been text saying something like “new episodes coming soon!”

I went looking for those interludes a while back, wanted to see just how much of the original’s influence ended up in my tracks, but I didn’t have any luck finding anything but the normal shorts.

Iirc, this would’ve been 2003-2005, not much later as my songs were from late 2005-2006.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

My white whale is a video game.

What I remember:

It's late 80s or early 90s I'd guess.
You move sideways on the screen like in a Mario game.
The game had a surreal touch to it.
There where flying, biting mouths out to get you.
The first level was some sort of garden level?
One of the levels had a chess patterned floor?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jean Pony posted:

What I remember:

Do you remember anything else about it? There were a ton of platformers in that era and this could describe any number of them. What did your character look like?

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Do you remember anything else about it? There were a ton of platformers in that era and this could describe any number of them. What did your character look like?

I don't remember what the character looks like. The most vivid image is the flying mouths. There might have been some evil lawnmowers as well. It's a game I tried when I was very young, but it was too creepy for me, so I stopped playing. I'd like to revist just to see how creepy it actually was.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Album by a band called The Agency. They're from South Florida, some members went on to be in Dashboard Confessional. My buddy has a copy somewhere but lives across the country so I can't go over there and find it.

Someone uploaded 3 tracks to Youtube but won't respond to my messages, and they probably have all the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFtv6HIlTY

Maybe Mike Marsh the drummer is the only one in Dashboard because he's in/was in -

The Avett Brothers
Dashboard Confessional
Seville The Agency

maybe I can email him

colas fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 28, 2020

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jean Pony posted:

What I remember:

What platform was it on? Sounds like an ad I saw for an amiga game called Weird Dreams. But I never got to play it

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jean Pony posted:

What I remember:

Gex?

Flying mouths

Checkerboard level

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 28, 2020

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

That ain't it, the graphics are older.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Jean Pony posted:

What I remember:

Kinda sounds like Little Nemo Dream Master

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I would love to go back in time before I had ever heard the band Dashboard Confessional.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

shadow puppet of a posted:

What platform was it on? Sounds like an ad I saw for an amiga game called Weird Dreams. But I never got to play it

I'd be very surprised if this isn't it. There's the early garden stage with a lawnmower that appears and kills you if you take too long, and things with creepy toothy mouths that eat you throughout the entire game. No chessboard floor, but there's a stage with a piano keyboard floor that could be misremembered as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0i5cgAkh8

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If that's not it, there's also a thread in the retro games subforum where you can ask for help identifying old games you're struggling to ID

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also kind of sounds like it could be Another World

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jean Pony posted:

What I remember:

what like monster party

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I'd be very surprised if this isn't it. There's the early garden stage with a lawnmower that appears and kills you if you take too long, and things with creepy toothy mouths that eat you throughout the entire game. No chessboard floor, but there's a stage with a piano keyboard floor that could be misremembered as that.

That's it! Wow! I will not judge past me for being a wuss, that game is legit creepy.

Thanks Rollersnake for finding it, and thank you to everyone else for your suggestions.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Sorry shadow, I missed that it was you who suggested the title of the game, thanks!

You've got a good memory if you id'd the game from an ad for a game you never played. I played it on a DOS copy btw.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Slothful Bong posted:

just thought of one.

Back in the weebl days, they would occasionally have these little “interlude” animations between main releases.

One was a little cute character, I think with bows on their head, white character on a dark blue(?) background, bouncing. Super chill. It had some music that inspired a bit of my own work.

I think there may have been text saying something like “new episodes coming soon!”

I went looking for those interludes a while back, wanted to see just how much of the original’s influence ended up in my tracks, but I didn’t have any luck finding anything but the normal shorts.

Iirc, this would’ve been 2003-2005, not much later as my songs were from late 2005-2006.

Either of these maybe? You might need to use an older computer or browser (internet explorer) for them to show
https://web.archive.org/web/20050608032651/http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/intermission/
https://web.archive.org/web/20070212052856/http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Intermission+2/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Huh, they sampled Roots Manuva.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltP7L16A8Hs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Working my way through the thread to see if I can solve for anyone but I have one that has been bugging me for a few weeks.

A young adult or teen novel no more recent than about 1992. The premise is that a precocious kid somehow travels in time from modernity to 15th century Constantinople as the Turks are at the gates. The time travel is supernatural, not technological, and it happens because of the kid's relationship with some sagely older male figure with a tweed jacket vibe (like a professor uncle or wise librarian or something).

The book is spooky and scary, and I remember it having some real-seeming threats of violence, as if the kid is going through catacombs under the city as the cannonballs are falling and the city is being sacked and he might get legit blown up or buried or captured and sold into slavery. I put it down because I was freaked out by it, and then it went back to the library before I got back to it.

The only other things I remember about it is that the author wrote a few more similar books (at least one), maybe with the same characters, which I read and didn't have a problem with. The covers of this series were typically a solid pastel colour with the title in an stylized decorative line art.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jean Pony posted:

Sorry shadow, I missed that it was you who suggested the title of the game, thanks!

You've got a good memory if you id'd the game from an ad for a game you never played. I played it on a DOS copy btw.

Heyyy. No problem. It actually had a huge impact on me, just that ad. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and looking at it. I asked for it for christmas for nintendo because i didn't have a clue what an Amiga even was, but I wanted that beautiful game.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Working my way through the thread to see if I can solve for anyone but I have one that has been bugging me for a few weeks.

A young adult or teen novel no more recent than about 1992. The premise is that a precocious kid somehow travels in time from modernity to 15th century Constantinople as the Turks are at the gates. The time travel is supernatural, not technological, and it happens because of the kid's relationship with some sagely older male figure with a tweed jacket vibe (like a professor uncle or wise librarian or something).

The book is spooky and scary, and I remember it having some real-seeming threats of violence, as if the kid is going through catacombs under the city as the cannonballs are falling and the city is being sacked and he might get legit blown up or buried or captured and sold into slavery. I put it down because I was freaked out by it, and then it went back to the library before I got back to it.

The only other things I remember about it is that the author wrote a few more similar books (at least one), maybe with the same characters, which I read and didn't have a problem with. The covers of this series were typically a solid pastel colour with the title in an stylized decorative line art.

I haven't read it, just Googling out of curiousity, but The Trolley to Yesterday, A Johnny Dixon Mystery looks like it fits the description spot on. The date in the listing is too recent but I think it's a reissue?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Right now I'm looking for any working copy of Misery Brothers (2005)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMqyMtKnL0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sarah Bellum posted:

An old black and white cookery programme from the 50s. A typical 50's housewife type with one of those clipped and convoluted 50's TV accents (which sounded American to me but I recall someone saying it was a Canadian show) demonstrating this wonderful new dish that she'd just discovered, the deep dish, except her accent was so mangled she kept calling it a "pit-zah pie" which she proceeded to smother in "oh-reee-gano". She used pronunciations for words that, even allowing for regional variation, have never been heard before or since. The recipe itself was absolutely dreadful, with far too many ingredients piled on and slopping everywhere. I remember her taking a full shaker of dried oh-reee-gano and just going to town all over the top of it. I'm not convinced she'd ever actually seen a "pitza" before. It wasn't a comedy or a sketch show, it was just a genuine, terrible, 1950s cookery show. I remember watching it and mocking it in an IRC room about 12 years ago.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to mock it all over again.

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/whos-the-happiest-homemaker

Yesssssss

Now someone answer mine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ItsDisposable posted:

I haven't read it, just Googling out of curiousity, but The Trolley to Yesterday, A Johnny Dixon Mystery looks like it fits the description spot on. The date in the listing is too recent but I think it's a reissue?

That... could be it. I can't find anything on GIS that looks like the cover art in my memory. The author died in 1991 so

I think that part of the function of this thread is to have someone else search for us without our own preconceptions muddying it up. I'll see if I can find a copy of it.

e.

That looks familiar. My visual memory of the book was way off.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 30, 2020

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

edit: you saw it :)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A picture of some flavor of eastern orthodox church in front of hills/mountains and I guess it's autumn and the trees are all orange and it's a gorgeous picture.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

This one is a bit of a reverse white whale, in a sense, where I already know the name of the thing I'm looking for, but have no clue how to find out more about it.

There's a band I rather like called Big Sur (not the one from Lansing, Michigan, but an older one from the UK, not "The Big Sur", just "Big Sur") that I have tried over and over again to learn more about. I have their self-titled album that I got a while back (in 2006 I think, though the album was released in 2002). I have searched for any official information on the band, whether they released anything else, where the band members are now, and have found nothing. A few broken indie review sites, some track listings from discography databases, that's about it. There's also this video on Youtube of their single "Desert Song" which has a little over 400 views, uploaded by a 200-subscriber Japanese account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iV8RAvt9U4

The weird thing is that they were featured as background music in the show Clone High at one point. It's utterly maddening to me that this band seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet, and the most enduring legacy they've left is a few bars of background music on a handful of episodes of a one-season cult TV show. I have literally never met a single person who recognizes this band when I talk about them. Googling them displays a BUNCH of false positives, because apparently "Big Sur" is a popular band name. Mostly I want to know whether they ever released any further albums, because I would buy the poo poo out of them.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

HappyKitty posted:

This one is a bit of a reverse white whale, in a sense, where I already know the name of the thing I'm looking for, but have no clue how to find out more about it.

There's a band I rather like called Big Sur (not the one from Lansing, Michigan, but an older one from the UK, not "The Big Sur", just "Big Sur") that I have tried over and over again to learn more about. I have their self-titled album that I got a while back (in 2006 I think, though the album was released in 2002). I have searched for any official information on the band, whether they released anything else, where the band members are now, and have found nothing. A few broken indie review sites, some track listings from discography databases, that's about it. There's also this video on Youtube of their single "Desert Song" which has a little over 400 views, uploaded by a 200-subscriber Japanese account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iV8RAvt9U4

The weird thing is that they were featured as background music in the show Clone High at one point. It's utterly maddening to me that this band seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet, and the most enduring legacy they've left is a few bars of background music on a handful of episodes of a one-season cult TV show. I have literally never met a single person who recognizes this band when I talk about them. Googling them displays a BUNCH of false positives, because apparently "Big Sur" is a popular band name. Mostly I want to know whether they ever released any further albums, because I would buy the poo poo out of them.

These guys?

They're not really prolific, unfortunately; it seems like they pretty much released a couple different cuts of the same songs and faded away.
I dug up some Billboard coverage here and an announcement about a student-union appearance.

e: You might have some luck tracking down the individual band members; I didn't look too hard but their bass player, Ben Nicholls, is still active, and their drummer, Hezi Yechiel, has album credits as recently as 2012 (his name shows up on Wikipedia a bit).

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 30, 2020

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Rollersnake posted:

ancient ancestors of Dick Butt???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Yond Cassius posted:

These guys?

They're not really prolific, unfortunately; it seems like they pretty much released a couple different cuts of the same songs and faded away.
I dug up some Billboard coverage here and an announcement about a student-union appearance.

e: You might have some luck tracking down the individual band members; I didn't look too hard but their bass player, Ben Nicholls, is still active, and their drummer, Hezi Yechiel, has album credits as recently as 2012 (his name shows up on Wikipedia a bit).

This is a decent start! I'll check out the bass player, see if that gives me any more nuggets of info!