Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

When following Christ, please maintain an adequate space cushion.

Leave room for Jesus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

If by ‘modern’ you mean 30 years ago, then sure.

Uh yeah, that's what I mean. The sprouts I ate growing up were terrible, now they aren't.

:corsair:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gently caress I'm feeling really owned right now!

I sure hope they don't keep doing this I don't want to get any more owned!!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Stop. No. Don't.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What prompted this

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What prompted this

Best explanation I could find is this :

https://mobile.twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1265118744193331200

Would be nice to find the original tweets the pictures are from, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Leave room for Jesus!

Jesus is coming, please do not obstruct the passing lane.

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010

What noble savages

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

bhangraton posted:

What noble savages

I am always curious when I see things like that. Did they actually read a book or go to an academic talk where someone advanced that as a serious idea, or did they just wake up one day, think that up, and decide it sounded right?

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Gross Dude posted:

I had a roommate in college who did the whole "Christ Follower" thing. The logic behind it is that Christianity is a religion and religions are bad. So instead, they choose to be Christ Followers. As far as I could tell it just meant fundamentalist Christian.

There's also some Christians who claim that Christianity isn't a religion, but a "connection to God" or something along those lines. I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's not my favourite cartoon but that's a drastic action to take.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I am always curious when I see things like that. Did they actually read a book or go to an academic talk where someone advanced that as a serious idea, or did they just wake up one day, think that up, and decide it sounded right?

I don't know about how prevalent it is in academia, but that sort of rhetoric seems to be quite common in left-wing online circles.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

SerialKilldeer posted:

There's also some Christians who claim that Christianity isn't a religion, but a "connection to God" or something along those lines. I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be.

It's the convenient way in which they can still label themselves as a Christian (and therefore Are Good People) without having to actually bother with pesky Christian tenets that require effort, time, or sacrifice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fishstick posted:

It's the convenient way in which they can still label themselves as a Christian (and therefore Are Good People) without having to actually bother with pesky Christian tenets that require effort, time, or sacrifice.

That makes sense, but my guess was that one of them is a series of beliefs about the world, life, creation and the beyond.

While the other one is right.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SerialKilldeer posted:

Thst feels like a way to reduce someone else's religion. Devout Muslim? "oh honey with your connection to God, that's very Christian of you"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inceltown posted:

It's not my favourite cartoon but that's a drastic action to take.
No it's very easy to just pull a factory out of another country. Just reach in and grab it!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess precipitously announcing major business plans in a fit of pique on twitter worked out so well for Musk, everyone’s doing it now

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1264992175747665921

Trans women famously not loving other trans women ever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1264992175747665921

Trans women famously not loving other trans women ever.

That's like, as wrong as it can possibly be.

I can apparently only date other trans women. Which isn't great, because it seems like around seventy percent of them in this city are in the same network of polycules.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

It is, in my experience, an attempt to argue that christianity should get around ‘no religion in gov. Buildings’ statutes. It also is very much then saying ‘well it’s not like your fake religion, mine is TRUE’ or a response to learning that all religions have a mythology and are most likely just stories we tell each other about the big scary unknowable parts of life.

Except theirs, which is totally true, they wouldn’t believe a potentially fake religion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I saw one of her other tweets, in which her evidence is one guy in 1779 saying "The Indians don't rape our women when they raid settlements."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don’t describe myself as religious but as spiritual

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

oldpainless posted:

I don’t describe myself as religious but as spiritual

That distinction is fairly common. Lots of people believe in something, but draw that line at having to essential swear fealty to an organization. Considering how hosed up so many religious organizations are I can't say I'm surprised. Hell, I was in that boat myself for the longest time until I finally slid into agnosticism.

Otoh you have a whole crowd of irredeemable piles of human filth who refuse to acknowledge their lovely ways and claim to have some sort of faith without having to actually put any effort in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw one of her other tweets, in which her evidence is one guy in 1779 saying "The Indians don't rape our women when they raid settlements."

That would make sense as most of our histories are from our perspective and we didn’t bother doing much research on others. So that’s literally the only way rape would come up for natives

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm gonna just guess that statement is not at all accurate, either, but since nobody much cares about the experience of women in wartime either, well...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Y'all missed the followup before she locked her count. She posted a picture of herself up wearing a bikini, tagging the two following accounts for some reason?
https://twitter.com/abrowndoinstuff
https://twitter.com/Claritamonae
(that reason being of course she's a dumb racist.) The worst part of THAT? All the weird old white guys thirsting over her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brawnfire posted:

I'm gonna just guess that statement is not at all accurate, either, but since nobody much cares about the experience of women in wartime either, well...

There isn’t any reason for settlers to lie. At least about that.

Not raping was generally not part of the noble savage genre

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cleretic posted:

That's like, as wrong as it can possibly be.

I can apparently only date other trans women. Which isn't great, because it seems like around seventy percent of them in this city are in the same network of polycules.

I don't see how anyone could possibly think it's true, it's so opposite how people operate it's nuts. If it occurred to me that some type of relationship didn't exist, I'd just assume I hadn't met them or didn't notice them, not that they're the blind spot that proves trans nefariousness

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Brawnfire posted:

If it occurred to me that some type of relationship didn't exist, I'd just assume I hadn't met them or didn't notice them, not that they're the blind spot that proves trans nefariousness

Yes but this is the thought process of someone capable of reason who doesn't have a hateful bias against trans people.

Glinner is not such a person.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Brawnfire posted:

I don't see how anyone could possibly think it's true, it's so opposite how people operate it's nuts. If it occurred to me that some type of relationship didn't exist, I'd just assume I hadn't met them or didn't notice them, not that they're the blind spot that proves trans nefariousness

It’s pure invention and imagination in the same vein of “you ever notice how in lesbian/gay relationships, one person always acts like a woman and one acts like a man?” They have no experience so they make up something that sounds consistent with their existing bigotry.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Is that one guy going 65 while pointing his gun at his dick?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Olanphonia posted:

Is that one guy going 65 while pointing his gun at his dick?

Unfortunately, it's not cocked so it wouldn't go off anyway.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately, it's not cocked so it wouldn't go off anyway.

Happens to every guy once in a while.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

it is probably true in a very constrained way which is irrelevant to the point the twitter lady is making, and it would be very bad history crafting to extrapolate that point into anything beyond the particulars of native-settler warfare in the mid 18th century in a certain time/place. and there could well be contradictory testimony from other sources of the time, i personally don't know, but in general european settlers were a lot bigger sex weirds than the native peoples of what would become america

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Yes but this is the thought process of someone capable of reason who doesn't have a hateful bias against trans people.

Glinner is not such a person.

Glinner is a guy who responded so badly to being mocked for doing something anti-trans that he decided to throw away his entire comedy career and dedicate the rest of his life to oppressing trans people. You have to give him credit for accomplishing such a successful turn-around.

luxury handset posted:

it is probably true in a very constrained way which is irrelevant to the point the twitter lady is making, and it would be very bad history crafting to extrapolate that point into anything beyond the particulars of native-settler warfare in the mid 18th century in a certain time/place. and there could well be contradictory testimony from other sources of the time, i personally don't know, but in general european settlers were a lot bigger sex weirds than the native peoples of what would become america

Her Twitter is protected now, but she was basically propagating the "noble savage" myth that Native Americans were inherently peaceful and closer to the Earth, living in harmony until the white man came and introduced evil to them.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!
I'm still not sure of what exactly triggered Glinner's dive into lunacy, but my god that guy needs to sit down in the dark for a bit. Maybe with a cup of tea and a blanket. No phone, though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

chitoryu12 posted:

Her Twitter is protected now, but she was basically propagating the "noble savage" myth that Native Americans were inherently peaceful and closer to the Earth, living in harmony until the white man came and introduced evil to them.

That can't be right. Lots of Native Americans got closer to the earth after being around Europeans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm still not sure of what exactly triggered Glinner's dive into lunacy, but my god that guy needs to sit down in the dark for a bit. Maybe with a cup of tea and a blanket. No phone, though.

It coincided fairly well with him getting a bollock lopped off.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!
So he went nuts when his nut went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1265120622155350016?s=21