Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dawgstar posted:

I haven't thought of LordKat in a minute. What's he up to these days?

Looks like a podcast and DnD live streams recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

He was outed as a rapist. He sexually assaulted a woman while she was drunk/sleeping live while streaming :yikes:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 26, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

He crash landed here on SA a few years back and tried to sandcastle an LP then was laughed off the forums when he had a full on rager meltdown after being told by a couple of folks to tone down the rape jokes in it a little.

Jamie Faith posted:

He was outed as a rapist. He sexually assaulted a woman why she was drunk/sleeping live while streaming :yikes:

And that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:stare:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

...oh.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

yeah...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, after that downer, I feel that this is just the right kind of upper

briana white, aerith's VA for FF7 remake, played through the game, and I recently got to the Honeybee Inn part of her archives. I love how all out they went for that sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJpGb5DO5hQ&hd=1

"surely they'll never put the cloud crossdressing sequence into the remake" *square makes it one of the most lavishly animated, bombastic sequences in the entire game*

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Captain Invictus posted:

"surely they'll never put the cloud crossdressing sequence into the remake" *square makes it one of the most lavishly animated, bombastic sequences in the entire game*

I was already liking FF7R but Hell House and the Honeybee Inn sequence catapulted it to GOTY status for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

i think he is still sorta mad that TGWG exploded and his career never took off.

Jamie Faith posted:

He was outed as a rapist. He sexually assaulted a woman while she was drunk/sleeping live while streaming :yikes:

oh god what?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Diamanda Hagan blogged about it.

https://diamandahagan.wordpress.com/tag/lordkat/

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also he made this huge video crying about how he wanted to get better and not be the edgy shock jock and the next video he said it was all a joke and basically saying that caring about others makes you a [homophobic slur]

obviously not as bad as the sexual assault but gently caress that guy forever

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
You want ultimate irony?
Before anyone knew who he was, LordKat posted on Spoony's forums, wherein he went on a tirade against Slowebeef and Diabetus' Retsupurae for being cyberbullying. And when I objected to that, he told me to "get hit by a truck full of cancer". Super funny in retrospect.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Didn't LordKat also get super mad about Spoony at the height of the split with TGWTG drama and upload a bunch of rants trashing him? I don't even remember why he was mad at Spoony, something to do with him thinking Noah cost him press credentials to an event or something like that I think?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sydin posted:

Didn't LordKat also get super mad about Spoony at the height of the split with TGWTG drama and upload a bunch of rants trashing him? I don't even remember why he was mad at Spoony, something to do with him thinking Noah cost him press credentials to an event or something like that I think?

Noah's infamous "Betrayal" rant supposedly got LordKat, and only LordKat, blacklisted from events [citation loving needed]. And he was soooo upset he couldn't interview Notch, his hero! So he went on stream and told Noah to kill himself with his brother's service weapon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It was over Spoony's BETRAYAL stunt over the XCOM FPS where he publicly harassed the developers.

It was utterly pathetic and embarrassing but Angry Joe was there and it didn't seem to hurt him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Right, right. Man that "Betrayal!" rant was really pathetic in retrospect, to the point that I can't believe Spoony brought it back in his Ultima reviews as some sort of bit. To be fair though IIRC even he realized after one or two videos it was a bad idea and killed it.

But yeah I specifically remember Angry Joe being on camera next to Spoony when he was having his meltdown so if he didn't see any industry blowback, I have no idea why LordKat would when he was at best only nominally associated with Spoony via CA.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sydin posted:

Right, right. Man that "Betrayal!" rant was really pathetic in retrospect, to the point that I can't believe Spoony brought it back in his Ultima reviews as some sort of bit. To be fair though IIRC even he realized after one or two videos it was a bad idea and killed it.

But yeah I specifically remember Angry Joe being on camera next to Spoony when he was having his meltdown so if he didn't see any industry blowback, I have no idea why LordKat would when he was at best only nominally associated with Spoony via CA.

I'm 99% sure LordKat had one person incidentally mistake him for the "betrayal" guy and used that as an excuse to explain all of his failings as an industry journalist. When the real reason was probably because bad poo poo was already starting to come out about him.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Easier to blame that than accept that you're a hack with no journalistic ability i guess.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

And now they do things like post the police video of when he got into a traffic accident.

They also harassed some Spoony fan on Twitter because he talked with Spoony from time to time. Then when I pointed out how sad they were one of them harassed ME for months before he was permabanned.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

well, after that downer, I feel that this is just the right kind of upper

briana white, aerith's VA for FF7 remake, played through the game, and I recently got to the Honeybee Inn part of her archives. I love how all out they went for that sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJpGb5DO5hQ&hd=1

They had to go hard on it because they did so with all the weird poo poo in the game. Hell House wasn't dropped, Cait Sith exists in a scene so you know he's not abandoned entirely as he pops into scene trying to do a Dan Backslide and stop the Turks anonymously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NheZ_hLCSx0

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Goddamn. I know we're in a zombie apocalypse, but I swear I didn't mean to resurrect Spoonywatch.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I never understood what people saw in that whole Cloud-in-drag sequence that made it so popular. Even back in the day it just seemed like any other “guy has to dress as a woman and gets hit on by other guys, hyuck hyuck” joke that every sitcom and cartoon seemed to be doing back in the 90s and that would probably be considered homophobic today.

I’m not saying I was offended by it or anything- I’m not lgbt so I can’t dictate to others what qualifies as homophobic- but it felt kinda cringey.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Even back in the day when he was in his prime Spoony had one of the most toxic fanbases among the TGWTG crowd, he used to have his own forums which I remember were a constant source of consternation for him because so many people there were belligerent assholes. That fanbase carried over to his Patreon and Reddit, and once it became clear he wasn't really making videos anymore but was still taking Patreon money they got even worse and starting turning the bulk of their ire on Noah himself.

It was always weird to me that Noah was the one who picked up such a toxic fanbase. He wasn't really doing anything more acerbic than Brad or AVGN were - I guess his reviews were marginally more tilted towards genuine rather than clearly exaggerated anger - and Noah himself certainly didn't do anything to encourage it. I remember him writing big long rants on his site telling people to knock it off because almost any time he had another creator in a video as a crossover, a bunch of his fans would go to that creator's fanbase and start trying to pick fights and tell them how poo poo they are.

It's probably psychological. AVGN is always angry, but his exaggerated anger always makes him look insanely confident in himself, which is nice to watch, but the sort of people with deep-seating issues probably don't subconsciously identify with that kind of persona. Noah's Spoony-character however looked like an adorable dork (with deap-seated issues) at the best of times.

It's my personal believe that if you're a crazy person on the internet, you're more likely to latch on someone like Spoony because your subconscious is going "Hey, that guy is almost like me! Sweet!", while when watching your average AVGN-video, your brain is just going "Ha, ha, angry man is funny!"

Jamie Faith posted:

The sad thing is, this kind of poo poo doesn't even surprise me anymore. Back then when I was still watching everything ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com was putting out like some kind of weird reality TV Ersatz, I eventually stopped watching LordKat's videos just because I felt more and more revolted, even though it was just some dumb feeling with no connection to reality. I guess the lesson here is I should just trust my gut feelings more!

Sydin posted:

I remember that poo poo. Even back then it was obvious LordKat got blacklisted because he is a stupid idiot, not because of Spoony.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Anyone else remember those sites that where specifically designed to take pot-shots at tgwtg, the busy street and dead horse interchange, I used to be a member of DHI and read/comment on TBS when I started to dislike tgwtg, I guess it was just nice to find other people who felt the same.

I kind of miss that content even though it wasn't very good and bordered on creepy, I believe the guys that ran TBS where goons.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
the thing is, you can tell by the shape of lordkat's head that something isn't entirely right about him

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

I never understood what people saw in that whole Cloud-in-drag sequence that made it so popular. Even back in the day it just seemed like any other “guy has to dress as a woman and gets hit on by other guys, hyuck hyuck” joke that every sitcom and cartoon seemed to be doing back in the 90s and that would probably be considered homophobic today.

I’m not saying I was offended by it or anything- I’m not lgbt so I can’t dictate to others what qualifies as homophobic- but it felt kinda cringey.

it's not great but it's more sympathetic than most such gags because Cloud gets a gentle ribbing from the girls and that's about it. nobody in wall market really cares, because there's already a queer community there people just kinda accept.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

the thing is, you can tell by the shape of lordkat's head that something isn't entirely right about him

Did you just post phrenology or like is there some obvious braincase out of whack going on?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Did you just post phrenology or like is there some obvious braincase out of whack going on?

it's just a hunch

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kamrat posted:

Anyone else remember those sites that where specifically designed to take pot-shots at tgwtg, the busy street and dead horse interchange, I used to be a member of DHI and read/comment on TBS when I started to dislike tgwtg, I guess it was just nice to find other people who felt the same.

I kind of miss that content even though it wasn't very good and bordered on creepy, I believe the guys that ran TBS where goons.

I’ve never heard of either but just checked out Dead Horse Interchange, which is still around. It’s indistinguishable from 4chan or kiwi farms. They’re very concerned about white women having sex with men who aren’t white and one of their top posters is named Rape Guy. I don’t know what it used to be, but I’m guessing it took a hard right turn circa 2015.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Very glad now that I stopped watching LordKat's Youtube channel in 2014, after he started yelling about Anita Sarkeesian and poo poo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

I too analyze peoples skull shapes to determine if they're "entirely right"!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’ve never heard of either but just checked out Dead Horse Interchange, which is still around. It’s indistinguishable from 4chan or kiwi farms. They’re very concerned about white women having sex with men who aren’t white and one of their top posters is named Rape Guy. I don’t know what it used to be, but I’m guessing it took a hard right turn circa 2015.

Oh gently caress, it was never a really good site and it was always full of assholes but I didn't expect this... guess they had nowhere to go but down into the shitter.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bakeneko posted:

Cloud is hot, and we like seeing him be hot in all sorts of outfits. Also, it's never played up at the expense of drag queens or LGBT+ individuals. It's just a disguise that they use to target a total scumbag.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Takoluka posted:

Cloud is hot

Moist

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Takoluka posted:

Cloud is hot, and we like seeing him be hot in all sorts of outfits. Also, it's never played up at the expense of drag queens or LGBT+ individuals. It's just a disguise that they use to target a total scumbag.

Yeah the tone and handling of it (Plus stuff like the LGTB people they meet along the way and the people supporting them) really turn it from a joke to just something and some people that exist in universe, no weirder than anyone else.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

its cause people think cloud in a dress is hot

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

i've seen those polygons do squats

that's what peak performance looks like

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Cloud cross-dressing, not to mention a slew of other minor goofy things from the original FF7 (the aforementioned Hell House, some of the dialog/scenes/situations) also serve as an amusing contrast to FF7 expanded universe stuff like Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus, where the tone was a lot more serious.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Archer666 posted:

I too analyze peoples skull shapes to determine if they're "entirely right"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CYBEReris posted:

it's not great but it's more sympathetic than most such gags because Cloud gets a gentle ribbing from the girls and that's about it. nobody in wall market really cares, because there's already a queer community there people just kinda accept.
I'm still in Wall Market myself, but the one thing that I've been thinking about since I started the whole quest to get everyone dolled up is that even if you try to do something nice like make it clear none of the Wall Market regulars think Cloud is a freak for wanting to crossdress and make a big song and dance number out of it- the end of the whole thing is still essentially a "Trap"/Trans Panic gag ain't it?

I can't really think of any way that it isn't basically that at the end because they pretty heavily imply that Don's only interested in ciswomen. Unless if Cloud "wins" he's just like, "Eh you know what, you're still hot why not" after the reveal which still isn't great.