Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Flagship phones have gotten much more expensive lately.
There are much better cheaper options than there used to be though.

My Pixel 2 still works great and despite the burn in on the screen I don't plan on replacing it until it dies, or unless Google's new flagship is reasonably affordable come October when my Pixel 2 stops receiving updates.

Likewise. The battery's starting to go in mine but I just keep a charger handy and give it fifteen minutes to top up before I go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

this is what you get for owning a fanny pack

Also why would you leave your wallet in your car

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

because I always keep it next to my unlocked gun

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I had to run an errand real quick and forgot to bring it in with me. I didn't realize until after it was stolen that it was probably still in the car.
Potty training a 20 month old does weird things to your brain.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My Pixel 2 still works great and despite the burn in on the screen I don't plan on replacing it until it dies, or unless Google's new flagship is reasonably affordable come October when my Pixel 2 stops receiving updates.

Pixel 4a is supposed to be announced soon. It's a budget version of the Pixel and probably has everything you want at an affordable price (rumor is ~$350 to undercut the iPhone SE).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone live in Virginia, North Carolina or West Virginia?

The 17 year Cicadas will be emerging soon

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/23/861582233/theyre-back-millions-of-cicadas-expected-to-emerge-this-year?utm_source=pocket-newtab

"As many as 1.5 million cicadas could emerge per acre"

:psypop:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Camping in Ohio in 2008 and had cicadas emerge overnight from a tree right near us. Only had a rain fly so my friend and I woke up covered in cicadas and soaked from a gigantic thunderstorm the night before. They were EVERYWHERE covering the entire campsite, the Scirocco and half of the parking lot. It was an insane thing to see and I wish we werent so hungover and thought to take pictures cause it was quite the sight. Those things are huge too

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
At least we can eat handfuls of bugs.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

We used to get them when I was a kid in Arizona. I was always afraid they'd bite, but they just peed on us when they got scared. loving bugs.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Anyone live in Virginia, North Carolina or West Virginia?

The 17 year Cicadas will be emerging soon

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/23/861582233/theyre-back-millions-of-cicadas-expected-to-emerge-this-year?utm_source=pocket-newtab

"As many as 1.5 million cicadas could emerge per acre"

:psypop:
I moved up here (NC) 7 years ago, so this will be interesting.

I'll just add it to the 2020 remarkable bullshit list.

Speaking of, my Mom had a hypertension episode on Friday. She's back home today. My sister (ER nurse) is fortunately hired again and was between shifts. BP was 210/90. She's on some meds to control it for now, but she's excitable and her laundry list of bullshit between my sister's (the nurse) moving back in because she was in another abusive relationship and being a slob and a poo poo about things, caring for my nephew, COVID, owning/operating a small business in import/export and just breaking her ankle a few weeks before COVID I have no loving idea how she will.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 25, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

meltie posted:

:hmmyes: expensive phones are expensive.
The same company has less expensive options in their line-up that you could have chosen.

I got stuck in a perfect storm of a phone thats properly dying, Corona virus and upgrading my cars head unit.

Ive got a 64gb 6s, but its properly at end of life- battery lasts around 18 mins on LTE, 20-30 mins on wifi without being tethered to a battery pack and even on a battery pack or a charger it can reset if you ask it to do a high load task because theres a few other issues with it, and it also has a broken screen. Corona virus has also absolutely hosed supply of phones here in Aus, and our carrier choice is a lot more limited so trying to find a phone that suits you thats in stock is a pain in the arse too, plus changing carriers isnt really an easy option if you want coverage in the more remote parts of the country which I need for work. The upgrade of the head unit in the car to CarPlay meant that I couldnt use my 160gb ipod any more so i've had to shift all my music to my phone, so the 64GB of storage on the old phone wasnt really enough any more. I can stream the music, but im often in places where theres crappy or zero signal reception so I need to store it locally on the device so I can actually listen to music instead of just getting nothing due to poor reception.

Iphone SE only comes in 128gb and I wanted a 256gb phone.
Theres no stock of iphone 11's in 256gb in Australia atm.

So If I want that capacity, in an Iphone, im stuck with an 11 Pro or an 11 Pro Max.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Exactly- When I got my 6s, it was the flagship phone at the time and it wasnt a $2K device. Phones have gotten so expensive in Australia that all the carriers have had to introduce 36 month plans because people are baulking at the idea of paying $80 a month for the device + a minimum of $50 per month of service cost. For example if you want a 100gb a month plan because your a heavy user and want the Iphone 11 Pro in 512gb but only want a 24 month plan, your going to be forking out $177 Australian dollarydoos a month for the experience!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am not one to begrudge someone buying anything they want but the SE does come in 256, I just got one. Upgraded from my OG 6+ (not the S) been using for 5+ years.

Wish the SE had the bigger screen but I needed the camera (really, for car sales pics) and the 6 wasn't getting updated anymore. I only paid something ridiculous like $350 for the 256gb with a $40 upgrade fee added because I had the same phone so long.

I also had a customer pay me with a walmart gift card and I splurged and got the Apple Watch series 3 bc it was just $209 (GC was for $200). So far I like it. Never had one before.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I refuse to spend over 250 on a phone and only pay 40-60 a month for my data plan because I use MVNOs. Jesus, you guys are actually out there paying 4 figures for a phone? I don't even pay that for a desktop, laptop, or car

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Australian prices and supply are hosed up to start with, though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Apple also has had very high margins historically on their phones (>50%), so you're paying an luxury/convenience/idiot tax depending on how you want to look at it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

I refuse to spend over 250 on a phone and only pay 40-60 a month for my data plan because I use MVNOs. Jesus, you guys are actually out there paying 4 figures for a phone? I don't even pay that for a desktop, laptop, or car

We have some people on these forums who spend more on a car than I have on all mine together but I mean, it ain't no skin off my balls. :shobon:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
someone has to buy the flagship stuff :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There are some pretty solid vanilla android phones out there nowadays. Moto G series, and if you aren't a brand snobs the Umidigi F1 and F2 are pretty nice with amazing battery life.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As an android developer for connected vehicle stuff,

Please don’t use android anymore. Some of the unpatched security exceptions they have leftover + the amount of stuff I can programmatically gain access to even after their clamp downs makes my skin crawl

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

We have some people on these forums who spend more on a car than I have on all mine together but I mean, it ain't no skin off my balls. :shobon:

I mean, I can see spending it on a kick-rear end car if I was independently wealthy, I'm not gonna judge anyone for that. But for consumer electronics? That become essentially worthless even faster than cars depreciate? Why? Perfect is the natural enemy of "good enough".

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone here got a Viper?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh, is there a specific EOL date for the Pixel 2? I'm still very very happy with mine too, no hardware problems, great battery life, no software issues like freezing or anything. poo poo. :( And I hear the Pixel 3 and 4 have hella quality issues. :argh:

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

stevobob posted:

Oh, is there a specific EOL date for the Pixel 2? I'm still very very happy with mine too, no hardware problems, great battery life, no software issues like freezing or anything. poo poo. :( And I hear the Pixel 3 and 4 have hella quality issues. :argh:

If google stops updating, switch to a community build like lineageos. I ran that for years on an old nexus. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/development/rom-lineageos-17-1-t4100309

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Please don’t use android anymore. Some of the unpatched security exceptions they have leftover + the amount of stuff I can programmatically gain access to even after their clamp downs makes my skin crawl

no

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

stevobob posted:

I believe it stops getting security patches in October. Say what you will about Apple, there's nobody who supports their phones longer than them.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Woof Blitzer posted:

Anyone here got a Viper?

At one point we had a dude named Das Volk that had a very mental ACR but people got all weird and forums drama and he moved on. I hope he’s well, he was very AI and pretty cool from what I recall :shrug:

Long weekend has been good. Celebrated our 11th anniversary on Friday :toot: otherwise I’ve been just hanging out at home with the wife and kids. There are a lot of curmudgeons posting about grass and a freshly mowed lawn that is green and healthy is a lovely place to be and to send the kids out to play while you get dinner ready or whatev.

Posting from my poverty spec iPhone 11. I even got $250 by way of visa cash card when I bought it from the mobile provider at launch. No regrets other than I wish Apple would release a smaller SE sized phone I replaced with this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

And use what instead? Apple? LOLNO

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Got my 6S launch weekend, so 5 years old now, never used a case and while the back is scratched up, there’s one tiny crack in the corner of the glass that I don’t even know how it happened, probably hit something throwing it on my bed. Chucked a new battery in about a year ago. Still getting updates, still fast as hell and I maintain this isn’t only the best phone I’ve ever owned, it’s the best computer I’ve ever owned full stop. Easier and faster to edit 4K video on this thing than my i7 MacBook Pro.

Not looking forward to paying for the next one, but I’ve more than got my money’s worth out of this one so I figure it evens out.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For the last couple years I've been just getting the flagship phone right before the new flagship was going to come out during the holiday promotions at Costco. Typically there's $250-400 in Costco gift cards with it, phone's marked to $20 to pay in store, and my plans have steadily risen from $55 to $75 /month over the years on a 2 year contract with, at least on paper, a large chunk of the monthly payment going towards the cost of the phone. With the earlier contracts it was something like $43 of my monthly bill was alloted to the device balance and only $12 was the voice/data service portion. Last I looked the BYOD plans weren't cheap enough to be a better deal with buying a phone outright for a comparable plan so I've just kept going with the cycle. More expensive in the long run that sticking with a decent older phone and a grandfathered plan but eh, it scratches that "gotta have the latest and greatest" itch without being too ruinous.

All prices in CAD for reference.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The thing about phones is we just need to recognize that you need to amortize the cost over the duration of ownership. The fact that I can use something so critical to the needs and wants of my life for years - 4 or 5 years for sometimes hours a day that costs $600? Please, if only other things in my life were this reasonable I’d sign over fistfuls of dollars.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I dunno, I am on a BYOD plan for $50/month with a $250 phone that if I break I won't cry about. I don't think I could bring myself to spend more than $300 on a phone which I'll probably end up breaking or damaging anyhow.

Different strokes I guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Bullshit. If you didn’t do the necessary steps as they were growing up, they make collars that will automatically shock when they bark.

I got him when he was 6 and he's old now. Also, I love him more than I care about you being able to sleep so the only place a shock collar is going is up your rear end if you suggest I abuse my dog again. :toughguy:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm loving done.

This move should have taken 2 or 3 days. Tops. Everybody except for my new roommate ditched me, including coworkers (who I offered $100 each to help load and unload only the furniture). Ex kept mentally shutting down and curling up in the corner after about 30 minutes of work every day, despite having her new place already.

Had to keep the moving truck an extra day, paid $150 to professional movers to unload it (they knocked it out in 30 minutes, but 2 hour minimum, and it took me 3 days to load the fucker.. They earned that money for sure.). Still don't have everything out of the old place. Got everything important out. Filled up two 10x10 storage units (thank gently caress for Public Storage and their $1 first full month).

gently caress ever doing a DIY move again. Just between the moving truck, paying for the unload, and the holdover fees, I'm out more than what it would have cost to hire full service movers, even counting the 2 separate destinations. Add in taking a week off of work for what should have taken 2-3 days... I still have a full 1-2 days of work to get my car unloaded at both places (it's packed so full that I have boxes on the dash, and have to drive with stuff in my lap), then get my pc set up at my new place. And I'm possibly paying to holdover for another day. Depends on the office. I'd rather pay another day vs lose the rest of the stuff, but the rest is pretty easily replaceable.

I'm done. Physically, mentally, and emotionally.

The one upside is ex's new place has some dirt roads behind it. It rained buckets the other day. A 3800 pound massively underpowered wagon has absolutely no business making me giggle like an idiot while blasting down a muddy as hell path that barely qualifies as a couple of ruts through a couple of miles of undeveloped land. I kinda see the AWD addiction now... And I'm pretty sure the factory rear LSD is alive and well, despite being more than old enough to join the marines.

E: after this week I've given up on keeping a friendship of any kind with her. I got hosed hard, I got used, and I was left hanging out to dry via a sack.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 26, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slidebite posted:

I dunno, I am on a BYOD plan for $50/month with a $250 phone that if I break I won't cry about. I don't think I could bring myself to spend more than $300 on a phone which I'll probably end up breaking or damaging anyhow.

Different strokes I guess.

As much as I hate the idea of throwaway tech, I hate the idea of throwing away money more. My phone is a low end Huawei Honor and it does all the stuff a high end Apple does.

I genuinely do not understand phone hype. At all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

At one point we had a dude named Das Volk that had a very mental ACR but people got all weird

And he got weird and super goony.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

There are some pretty solid vanilla android phones out there nowadays. Moto G series, and if you aren't a brand snobs the Umidigi F1 and F2 are pretty nice with amazing battery life.
I've been a Moto G fan since the first version that I think was recommended by someone on here. When it starts to slow down I do a factory reset to get another 6 months out of it then order one version behind current gen. I 'splurged' this time and got current gen with the most memory. If I don't physically break them they usually last around two years before they slow down enough they're annoying to use and get replaced. Have been running them on the straight talk plan for years as well, it's cheap and it works.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And use what instead? Apple? LOLNO

STR posted:

I'm loving done.
You're a good dude for putting up with that poo poo and not just walking away halfway through the move. You owe her nothing, especially after this.

More garage organization this weekend and Wife started hanging posters, car parts and anything else she could find on the walls. Place is starting to look almost decent. Have a few boxes of random crap to go through as well as a few shelves to reorganize but it's getting close to done. Dad is in town working with brother on his house so they stopped over Friday for a bit to borrow some tools and check in on us. Grilled out for Memorial Day and we setup the Wife's mini pool for the summer. Pretty good weekend overall.

Anyone have tips for dealing with carpenter bees? Noticed a couple holes on the deck the other week, ordered some traps. Hung the traps middle of last week only to see a new hole less than a foot from the trap this weekend. We're corking the holes as we find them and killing the bees but so far the traps haven't helped at all.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 26, 2020

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

STR posted:

Moving house

Just did this privately myself and next time, its clothes and harddrives. Then burn the rest.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Sgt Fox posted:

If google stops updating, switch to a community build like lineageos. I ran that for years on an old nexus. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/development/rom-lineageos-17-1-t4100309

I'd ran cyanogenmod on an old Galaxy S2 but had forgotten about custom roms. I'll dig into this, thanks!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

I mean, I can see spending it on a kick-rear end car if I was independently wealthy, I'm not gonna judge anyone for that. But for consumer electronics? That become essentially worthless even faster than cars depreciate? Why? Perfect is the natural enemy of "good enough".

Yeah I don't get it either, but it's probably because I only use my phone for calls and texting and not really anything else so I don't give a poo poo about all the new tech as long as I can call/text. I got an Apple SE about three years ago for $150 and still have it because it's small and works. The new phones are getting too drat big, why can't anyone make an SE sized phone anymore?

I'm seriously considering a dumb phone for my next phone like a retro Nokia or something.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

At one point we had a dude named Das Volk that had a very mental ACR but people got all weird and forums drama and he moved on. I hope he’s well, he was very AI and pretty cool from what I recall :shrug:

IIRC he was being a smug dick and everyone basically told him to gently caress off so he stopped posting

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey Das Volk was the result of one and only red text. Good stuff.