Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Travelers got wrapped up pretty well; it's probably my favorite time traveling show of the last few decades.

I watched Solar Opposites, which I think was mentioned here. Run of the mill Justin Roiland show, pretty entertaining with the usual gags and twists, voice acting, and animation. Short and sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We ran out of the UK version of Taskmaster and started watching the Comedy Central version and...oof. I love Reggie Watts but he was a terrible choice to host Taskmaster. Watching Alex Horne banter with Greg Davies is one of the best parts of the UK version, but he and Reggie have zero chemistry.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I liked that half the actors in Travelers were in Continuum (is there a designated Canadian time travel acting troupe?), which made it feel a bit like an alternate universe spin-off at times.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I liked that half the actors in Travelers were in Continuum (is there a designated Canadian time travel acting troupe?), which made it feel a bit like an alternate universe spin-off at times.

These shows are all filmed in Vancouver so there’s always a good chance of seeing familiar faces pop up!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Dead to Me S2 really ends with a whimper. First, the investigation storyline just ends with the detective deciding to let her go, the bad guy dirty cop that seems like he's gonna be the subsequent threat is arrested off screen, then it ends with randomness. *shrug*

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
A couple episodes into Season 4 of Law and Order: SVU, and so far it and the last couple of episodes of Season 3 have been fantastic

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I watched the first season of Stranger Things when it first came out and never came back to the show. Started over and currently in the middle of season two.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just finished Travelers Season 2, episodes 5 and 6, and the writers eerily predicted this entire COVID-19 pandemic back in 2017 and got so many of the chilling details spot-on.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just finished seasons 1-3 of Ozark I’m loving it! Those wacky Byrds just keep getting into trouble. Laura Linney is phenomenal as Wendy.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just finished Travelers Season 2, episodes 5 and 6, and the writers eerily predicted this entire COVID-19 pandemic back in 2017 and got so many of the chilling details spot-on.

Haha yeah I was watching this a couple months ago and was thinking this.

People have said the same about the movie Contagion as well. Perhaps in situations like this human behaviour is really easy to predict?

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 24, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gangs of London was pretty good. It looks like you're watching a lot of money on the screen for most of the action.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My mission to watch as much schlocky teen drama as I possibly can in this quarantine has led me to Roswell New Mexico

This show moves fast. Checkov would be shot by his own gun as soon as he articulated his rule in this show. A secret? Next episode it's blabbed to pretty much everyone. A situation with some implications? Next episode opens having moved right past them and we're living in the new world. It is the antithesis to Lost or any of those shows where you think " WHY DON'T THEY JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER, TELL EVERYONE WHATS GOING ON?!?"

Well, in this show that's all they do. I'm 8 episodes in to season 1 and I've been constantly amazed by how much people tell each other about what is going on. Most of the mysteries are solved five seconds later. I wish more, better shows adopted this philosophy. It's downright fresh.

But it's still a schlocky teen drama though...

lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Trig Discipline posted:

We ran out of the UK version of Taskmaster and started watching the Comedy Central version and...oof. I love Reggie Watts but he was a terrible choice to host Taskmaster. Watching Alex Horne banter with Greg Davies is one of the best parts of the UK version, but he and Reggie have zero chemistry.
Ron Funches is pretty much the only reason to watch it. The Scandinavians have made a good go at making their own versions; I recommend giving the Norwegian Kongen befaler a go. It manages to deliver some moments as good as anything the UK version has. Reddit will turn up copies with subtitles.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I tried Solar Opposites and I loving loved it. I was feeling like poo poo because of some drama and it picked me right up. Laughed my rear end off even though I'm a weirdo who can sit through most comedies without laughing. It hits right where my brokebrain sense of humor is, and is much better for the lighter tone vis a vis Rick and Morty.

R&M's shadow is going to loom large on this show, the animation and voices and writing are very similar when they're not the same. But the tone made me forget about R&M and I actually kind of like it better.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Watched through Godless the past few days. I'm disappointed, the show was drat near perfect until the last episode, which became a total nonsensical trainwreck.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I didn't like Solar Opposites at all, but then again I'm not much of a Rick & Morty fan, either, and it felt like a pretty lazy copy off that block.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Just finished binging all of Normal People and feel almost let down by the lack of catharsis. Well acted though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ron Funches is pretty much the only reason to watch it. The Scandinavians have made a good go at making their own versions; I recommend giving the Norwegian Kongen befaler a go. It manages to deliver some moments as good as anything the UK version has. Reddit will turn up copies with subtitles.

Oh nice, thanks!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Total Meatlove posted:

Just finished binging all of Normal People and feel almost let down by the lack of catharsis. Well acted though.

Yes they are supposed to be dumb kids but the sheer stupidity of some of the things they do is kinda frustrating. I still enjoyed it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched an episode of Outer Banks and I would have liked it if the writing wasn't so bad.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

My wife just told me she subscribed us to Starz because she wants to watch Outlander.

I don't plan to watch it, but any other Goon recommendations for Starz?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

The Grey posted:

My wife just told me she subscribed us to Starz because she wants to watch Outlander.

Party Down if you've never seen it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Grey posted:

Be a good husband and watch it with your wife (she watched your bullshits shows). I know I had to watch every episode of Outlander...

Spartacus and Black Sails are great, and your wife mat like them too (my wife did). Seconded Party Down!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just watched the first two episodes of Gangs of London and halfway through I am thinking: drat, this is some well choreographed hyper violent stuff. Turns out it is made by my boy Gareth Evans who did "The Raid".

I m not totally sold on it yet, some of the stuff is a bit cringey.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Found out all seasons of Alias are on Amazon Prime so I have been watching those.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Homecoming season 2: what if an okay 2 parter was stretched to fill the whole season?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Homecoming season 2: what if an okay 2 parter was stretched to fill the whole season?

Yeah, I had the same issue with S1. Watched a few then the finale.

Wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy the tension of a meandering mystery.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Be a good husband and watch it with your wife (she watched your bullshits shows). I know I had to watch every episode of Outlander...

I walked in once while she was watching it, and there was a prison scene where one dude was graphically raping another dude. Now I tell her I don't want to watch it because it has too much rape.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Grey posted:

I walked in once while she was watching it, and there was a prison scene where one dude was graphically raping another dude. Now I tell her I don't want to watch it because it has too much rape.

Probably best you noped out at that point, it doesn't exactly let up on that sort of thing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Grey posted:

Actually it is the most ‘rapey’ show I have I ever watched (before that? Oz maybe?). I just had this discussion with my wife (who is a fan of the books) during the last season about how the show averages a rape per season. We debated if the author has a rape fetish or if it is just a lazy way for her to show how brutal that world is. I don’t mind the show outside of that, but I can’t watch rape at all (man to man is bad, but it doesn’t affect me the way when I see a man raping woman. I can’t watch it at all). There was some backlash a few years ago against the show because of this, but all they have done is to put up a warning on the show (plus hotline number).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Grey posted:

Outlander has it's moments btw but it's one of those bad shows that is kind of a fun hate watch too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Ash vs. Evil Dead is a great show and should be on Starz. Everyone needs more Ash in their lives.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

Actually it is the most ‘rapey’ show I have I ever watched (before that? Oz maybe?). I just had this discussion with my wife (who is a fan of the books) during the last season about how the show averages a rape per season. We debated if the author has a rape fetish or if it is just a lazy way for her to show how brutal that world is. I don’t mind the show outside of that, but I can’t watch rape at all (man to man is bad, but it doesn’t affect me the way when I see a man raping woman. I can’t watch it at all). There was some backlash a few years ago against the show because of this, but all they have done is to put up a warning on the show (plus hotline number).

Only seen an episode or two of Outlander and read none, but it's my general experience that historical romance as a literary genre is rapey as hell for whatever reasons. I doubt the books stand out on that front.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Killer robot posted:

Only seen an episode or two of Outlander and read none, but it's my general experience that historical romance as a literary genre is rapey as hell for whatever reasons. I doubt the books stand out on that front.

They dont , but they should.

My wife likes it, the leads have a pretty steamy chemistry(they're husband and wife irl i think?) , so some of the sex scenes are pretty sus. Its well shoot, the costume and set design is gorgeous.soft erotica is not a bad thing to watch as a couple :heysexy:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

wormil posted:

Watched an episode of Outer Banks and I would have liked it if the writing wasn't so bad.

As someone who has lived on the Outer Banks, it's absolutely fascinating that every single detail about the area is wrong. I guarantee it was written by people that have never left California.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mike the TV posted:

As someone who has lived on the Outer Banks, it's absolutely fascinating that every single detail about the area is wrong. I guarantee it was written by people that have never left California.

It's "created by" the Pate brothers who are from North Carolina. I only know this because they created Surface, which I used to like, and that was mostly set in NC as well. Don't know how much of it they wrote though.

Not being argumentative, I haven't watched the show or ever been to the state, more just surprised I happened to know this obscure bit of trivia :D I have no idea how much of this kind of stuff is on the writers in general though. Seems more of a production thing most of the time.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 26, 2020

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

wormil posted:

I have also been watching Banshee and that got pulled too.

Do you have Amazon Prime? They have it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Gravy Jones posted:

It's "created by" the Pate brothers who are from North Carolina. I only know this because they created Surface, which I used to like, and that was mostly set in NC as well. Don't know how much of it they wrote though.

Not being argumentative, I haven't watched the show or ever been to the state, more just surprised I happened to know this obscure bit of trivia :D I have no idea how much of this kind of stuff is on the writers in general though. Seems more of a production thing most of the time.

Yeah I understand that the filming happened in South Carolina, and I can easily ignore all of the weird location issues as a way that the producer got around it. It is funny that the island is covered in palm trees and plantation style homes. It adds to that weirdness by also having Adina Porter as the sheriff with a thick bayou accent.

But besides that the locals use a lot of slang that doesn't exist there and there is a class divide in the show that doesn't really exist on the East Coast... it feels more like a poor copy of hill vs valley culture.

I'm not really sure what about the Outer Banks as a location made it past the creative idea phase for the show besides the name and being a generic coastal area on the East Coast.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Killer robot posted:

They really went super rapey this last season too. It feels kinda forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

calandryll posted:

Ash vs. Evil Dead is a great show and should be on Starz. Everyone needs more Ash in their lives.

Absolutely this. The short episodes mean it's always moving toward a fever pitch of practical gore.