Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oppression posted:

Anyone have some suggestions on how to fix up my horsey doors a little bit? Seems like there is some weathering/discoloration on both the door and the carving, and at the bottom of the facade there is more significant damage to the wood with little pieces having fallen off of it I think. It's a solid walnut double door with horses on both sides that face outward only. I have no idea what the symbols on them mean.

The house we have is from 1969, think there weren't storm doors on the house for the first 30 years. Or it could be from sun damage for all I know. Would trying to just apply stain over the existing discoloration be advised or am I going to have to get sanding? I'm worried about causing worse damage to it by approaching this the wrong way.

I was just reading a section of a book that deals with this exact situation, I'll grab you a photo tomorrow.

Also the symbol means your horse is a manual, hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

5 speed Mustang

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oppression posted:

The house we have is from 1969, think there weren't storm doors on the house for the first 30 years. Or it could be from sun damage for all I know. Would trying to just apply stain over the existing discoloration be advised or am I going to have to get sanding? I'm worried about causing worse damage to it by approaching this the wrong way.

This owns. Don't sand it. Splicing in fallen parts probably won't look good either. The whole unit should probably be lightly re-stained… eventually. Cherish your horses.

Edit: Follow the advice from JB's restorations book.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Oppression posted:

Anyone have some suggestions on how to fix up my horsey doors a little bit? Seems like there is some weathering/discoloration on both the door and the carving, and at the bottom of the facade there is more significant damage to the wood with little pieces having fallen off of it I think. It's a solid walnut double door with horses on both sides that face outward only. I have no idea what the symbols on them mean.

That is freaking rad, and you should check with the Woodworking Thread (though there's plenty of cross posters here).

Whatever you do will depend on what the original finish is. After you are done you will want to apply some kind of spar varnish, which will provide UV and moisture protection.

Howard Restore-a-Finish is supposed to be great if you are able to match the stain. Might be worth testing on a door edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIGyIbJS8bI

Hubis fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 24, 2020

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for the advice overall guys, looking forward to that info Jaded. This house is a little bit unique overall and it has been interesting to find more and more weird stuff in it over time. I found this thing in a hidden space last year:

The top comes off to expose this arrangement of things. Seems like some weird bedknob/key thing that reminds me of some Transformer 1 or National Treasure plot device, has a space for a screw to input into the base like a bedknob. Guessing that it was probably used to position something in an engraving machine. Heard the original owner was a gunsmith/jeweler and left some of his gear here and it's still around. Bolts of leather, copper sheets, metal tooling gear, etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oppression posted:

Thanks for the advice overall guys, looking forward to that info Jaded. This house is a little bit unique overall and it has been interesting to find more and more weird stuff in it over time. I found this thing in a hidden space last year:

The top comes off to expose this arrangement of things. Seems like some weird bedknob/key thing that reminds me of some Transformer 1 or National Treasure plot device, has a space for a screw to input into the base like a bedknob. Guessing that it was probably used to position something in an engraving machine. Heard the original owner was a gunsmith/jeweler and left some of his gear here and it's still around. Bolts of leather, copper sheets, metal tooling gear, etc.

Don't be such a tease, show us that good dogge. My guess is that thing was probably holding some little stamps or dies or punches or ends for an engraving tool or something (Source: my old boss did something amazingly similar).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Time to replace these busted cushions. I want to blame it on the kids jumping but there was already an rear end groove from my first pregnancy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yikes it actually was springs x____x

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

These foam mats are cheap and almost the perfect size. I'll fold two and cut one to make 3 layers in 2 cushions. The covers are getting washed.

edit: heckin quality dog vvv

peanut fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 24, 2020

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Don't be such a tease, show us that good dogge.

You got it haha.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I need that dog for my home.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Oppression posted:

Q: did you acquire the house by signing some contract granting you the title if you lived / "survived" one full year? Just trying to figure out how haunted it is.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

Hubis posted:

Q: did you acquire the house by signing some contract granting you the title if you lived / "survived" one full year? Just trying to figure out how haunted it is.

Made it through a little over a year now. My wife did fill up the original owner's secret gun storage room with shoes and purses a little while ago, so guessing that would have done it if anything.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oppression posted:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Update: It's less bouncy but the cushions are a perfect fit and there's not wire stabbing me in the butt :peanut:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

peanut posted:

Update: It's less bouncy but the cushions are a perfect fit and there's not wire stabbing me in the butt :peanut:

:peanut:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oppression posted:

That looks like it probably sat on top of a newel post on a stair rail. My parents house was built in the 1880s, and they have one similar to that that lifts off to reveal a series of holes and dowels that keep it in place. Probably got repurposed at some point I guess?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress it I'm hiring someone to fix all the wall hole areas so they match the super fine orange peel. I am never putting holes into these loving walls again (unless I need to anchor something)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

gently caress it I'm hiring someone to fix all the wall hole areas so they match the super fine orange peel. I am never putting holes into these loving walls again (unless I need to anchor something)

There are spots in my wall where you can see very obvious plaster patch jobs from before I owned this house. There are other parts which had large halfass patches done while I owned it, where part of it had to be re-cut and I had the only show in town worth hiring patch it. It looks like the original half-rear end patch was just oddly cut into a tetris shape and the second cut never happened. What I'm saying is, this is black magic and unless you want to hire the best/really good I would learn to live with it.

If you happen to live near me (Los Angeles County) I can refer you to the company. I think it was $350 job minimum. I've now hired them 3 times.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

There are spots in my wall where you can see very obvious plaster patch jobs from before I owned this house. There are other parts which had large halfass patches done while I owned it, where part of it had to be re-cut and I had the only show in town worth hiring patch it. It looks like the original half-rear end patch was just oddly cut into a tetris shape and the second cut never happened. What I'm saying is, this is black magic and unless you want to hire the best/really good I would learn to live with it.

If you happen to live near me (Los Angeles County) I can refer you to the company. I think it was $350 job minimum. I've now hired them 3 times.

I live in MN but thanks. I'm going to have the guy who did my bathroom look at it. His work on the bathroom wasn't immaculate or some poo poo, but it overall was pretty good and he only charged me $480, when others wanted like $900.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hubis posted:

Welcome, fellow lawn-owner!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Listen to Felder Rushing on the Gestalt Gardener on MS public radio.

Hubis posted:

I'm phone posting so I'll try and follow up more when I have a real keyboard, but:

Thanks guys! I've made a post with pics over in the lawncare thread, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694&pagenumber=4#post505109865

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Im looking into redoing my kitchen floor which is currently some cheap rear end laminate put in by the previous owners. I like the black and white checkerboard look shown here:

From what I can tell this is usually peel-and-stick vinyl squares or something done with a troweled in adhesive. Has anyone installed a floor like this? How do the hold up? Every commercial setting with this tile type floor has seemed to be in good shape as long as the seams are tight.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The offer has arrived from the paysagiste for doing the terrace in flagstones, putting drystone facings on the wall of the house and retaining wall, coping stones on the walls, and putting in railway sleeper steps so you can get from the front door of the house down to the terrace. The good news is no helicopter required.
pre:
INSTALLATION DE CHANTIER                                 2,562.50
DALLAGE EN PIERRE NATURELLE OPUS INCERTUM LUSERNA mixte  6,767.00
PIERRE DE PAREMENT GNEISS CG026                          8,671.00
ACCES MARCHES EN TRAVERSES DE CHÊNE                      1,605.00
TOTAL                                                   20,633.50
Total net TTC                                           21,111.15
:trumppop:

Considering what we really wanted to do was the terrace (dallage) which would be maybe 8.5k total this is quite a lot of mission creep. Having said that I think the chalet will look way better with the stonework and would make it more appealing if and when we come to sell it. My partner and I are going to discuss what we can afford over lunch...

These are some examples the paysagiste sent over

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I kind of wonder if a good concrete worker could stamp all that and tint it to look pretty similar for way less. But then again I’ve spent too much time YouTubing concrete stamping and may have purchased a mold for myself...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That quote is uhhhh a lot. What do you have on the terrace now?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sirotan posted:

That quote is uhhhh a lot. What do you have on the terrace now?

Nothing, it's just concrete. You can see it here:

Looking at the detail of the quote, for the terrace the cost is about 2/3 labour. For the walls it's 50/50.

I'd rather have a wooden terrace and render the wall than have stamped or moulded concrete. Can't ever see that looking right. I guess also the idea is to use natural materials from the surroundings. Still, if its unaffordable its a moot point!

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 26, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So my next problem in my new house is the microwave opening in the kitchen. The frame in this picture it shows a 27-in wide by 15 and 3/4 high. The depth is 11 and 3/4. And there is a shelf that is 16 and 1/2 deep.

I can only find one or two microwaves that could possibly fit in the size opening which really sucks. The cabinet itself is 29 in which seems to be standard for microwave width.

What am I supposed to do here with this weird size opening? it's like it was designed before hanging microwaves was even the thing

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Get a microwave that fits or rebuild the shelf until it fits. I mean there isn't really anytihng else you can do if you want a microwave in there.

Alternatively you decide to use it for something completely different. Like fit a small TV or something, or maybe a food processor or stand mixer will fit there. Or turn it into a buncha shelves for spice storage.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah if I absolutely had to put a microwave there I would probably reframe and reduce that cabinet to the left to a single door and then figure out what to do with the space above the microwave after I know how big it needs to be.

Edit: eh I take it back I’d probably want to center the microwave. Either way it would require modifying the framing of the cabinets and either trying to find new cabinet faces that match or testing out matching them on my own.

Either that or see if there’s a way to remove the trim on that microwave area to make it 29inch and support the microwave on the framing below it. If you can’t tell I’m really stream of conscious-ing here.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 26, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Turn it into a phone charging station, with a stand for tablets too (for recipes or entertainment or whatever).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

daslog posted:

So my next problem in my new house is the microwave opening in the kitchen. The frame in this picture it shows a 27-in wide by 15 and 3/4 high. The depth is 11 and 3/4. And there is a shelf that is 16 and 1/2 deep.

I can only find one or two microwaves that could possibly fit in the size opening which really sucks. The cabinet itself is 29 in which seems to be standard for microwave width.

What am I supposed to do here with this weird size opening? it's like it was designed before hanging microwaves was even the thing

Which dimension is giving you the most grief? I just did a quick search on microwaves on Amazon and see quite a few that would fit (such as this one, this one, or this one.)

Edit: Or am I misunderstanding and the shelf you're referring to is not what the microwave would be sitting on?

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 26, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Dave posted:

Yeah if I absolutely had to put a microwave there I would probably reframe and reduce that cabinet to the left to a single door and then figure out what to do with the space above the microwave after I know how big it needs to be.

Edit: eh I take it back I’d probably want to center the microwave. Either way it would require modifying the framing of the cabinets and either trying to find new cabinet faces that match or testing out matching them on my own.

Either that or see if there’s a way to remove the trim on that microwave area to make it 29inch and support the microwave on the framing below it. If you can’t tell I’m really stream of conscious-ing here.

Thanks. the Depth is going to be weird as well because the Shelf that's the cabinets are 11 3/4" deep and a typical microwave is 19 inches deep.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Which dimension is giving you the most grief? I just did a quick search on microwaves on Amazon and see quite a few that would fit (such as this one, this one, or this one.)

Edit: Or am I misunderstanding and the shelf you're referring to is not what the microwave would be sitting on?

There are small ones that will fit, but they don't really fill the space up and I'm thinking that will look weird.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

daslog posted:

There are small ones that will fit, but they don't really fill the space up and I'm thinking that will look weird.

Hmm, I think some of them sell trim kits but I agree at that size it might look a bit silly.

Found this thread of people with your same problem: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/867134/looking-for-micowave-to-fit-in-a-cabinet-maximum-12-inches-depth Since that electrical outlet is not recessed you'll have to get something even more shallow than 11.75" :/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We originally wanted a built in microwave but they where so expensive we said gently caress it. Just put a regular microwave in it....

poo poo it was hard to find a picture, this from when we weren't even done with our kitchen:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Hmm, I think some of them sell trim kits but I agree at that size it might look a bit silly.

Found this thread of people with your same problem: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/867134/looking-for-micowave-to-fit-in-a-cabinet-maximum-12-inches-depth Since that electrical outlet is not recessed you'll have to get something even more shallow than 11.75" :/

Thanks. I can actually go deeper than that because the Shelf they built into the cabinet sticks out to 15 3/4 inches. That's a very helpful thread.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

His Divine Shadow posted:

We originally wanted a built in microwave but they where so expensive we said gently caress it. Just put a regular microwave in it....

poo poo it was hard to find a picture, this from when we weren't even done with our kitchen:

Hmm your dishwasher is raised up, that's a great idea and not sure why I haven't seen it before. Aesthetically a bit less clean I guess.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The offer has arrived from the paysagiste for doing the terrace in flagstones, putting drystone facings on the wall of the house and retaining wall, coping stones on the walls, and putting in railway sleeper steps so you can get from the front door of the house down to the terrace. The good news is no helicopter required.
pre:
INSTALLATION DE CHANTIER                                 2,562.50
DALLAGE EN PIERRE NATURELLE OPUS INCERTUM LUSERNA mixte  6,767.00
PIERRE DE PAREMENT GNEISS CG026                          8,671.00
ACCES MARCHES EN TRAVERSES DE CHÊNE                      1,605.00
TOTAL                                                   20,633.50
Total net TTC                                           21,111.15

Is that in swiss francs, or euros or..? I guess it doesn't make much difference at the moment. Yikes.

Dog pic pls

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

His pose 2 minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Excellent, thank you. I guess the collar is there so you can tell one end from the other.