Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Apprentice Dick posted:

For anyone not familiar with Advance of Zeta the yellow things on the back are TR-6 EWAC Kehaar II aka full size mobile suits with a mobile armor version. The Inle was one of the largest lads of all.

Something something cool fast deployment and pacification robot while the beams go over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Slanderer posted:

I like the idea of Neo Zeong, but from the photos I've seen it looks like it has a crushingly low level of detail. I feel like they would need to add a ton of details not present in the anime to make all of the huge boring armor pieces look cool

They didn't even do all the details present in the anime. The finger bits don't move or even separate from the hand.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Argas posted:

Something something cool fast deployment and pacification robot while the beams go over my head.

Advance of Zeta is a treasure and I hope they someday get to animate some of these things.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Slanderer posted:

I like the idea of Neo Zeong, but from the photos I've seen it looks like it has a crushingly low level of detail. I feel like they would need to add a ton of details not present in the anime to make all of the huge boring armor pieces look cool

I feel such madness as this should be solely left up to mechnicore. Their Ziegler was wild!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Slanderer posted:

From what I've read, you need to go in and scribe the panel lines yourself if "lol big Gundam" doesn't hold you over. Biggest Gundam I saw was a RX-78 that was about 4 feet tall. It was good for a photo, but I wouldn't want to own one. I would love to own it, but gently caress paying for it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got started on a the RG Unicorn Gundam. Going well and I am enjoying it aside from a mishap where I apparently clipped a part of a piece off. Thankfully it was just a bit of detail rather than something that is needed to keep the robot together.

I got a leg completed and did a dry run on on that piece for the DESTROY MODE transformation, and I have to say it is very neat! I didn't even loving bother with the RG Zeta transformation because gently caress THAT but the part felt solid in the first place and still feels solid throughout. The only problem was I had a couple of armor pieces popping off (Particularly the calf armor piece popped off several times while I was trying to figure out the direction and amount of force to apply to get the knee to pop out), but they were easy enough to reattach.

d3lness posted:

From what I've read, you need to go in and scribe the panel lines yourself if "lol big Gundam" doesn't hold you over. Biggest Gundam I saw was a RX-78 that was about 4 feet tall. It was good for a photo, but I wouldn't want to own one. I would love to own it, but gently caress paying for it.

My local Gunpla shop has a Zaku like that. I will make a picture next time I drop by.

EDIT: Found Uncle Zaku on their facebook. The store is Robot 4 Less in Fullerton, California.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 24, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Advance of Zeta is a treasure and I hope they someday get to animate some of these things.

There's gotta be at least one graphics department out there that came out with a depiction of these things in combat from deployment to using the booster to return to base, and then all their poo poo got confiscated as part of the subsequent round up and clean-up of the Titans and it's all sitting in some unmarked Londo Bell warehouse somewhere.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Unlucky7 posted:

My local Gunpla shop has a Zaku like that. I will make a picture next time I drop by.

EDIT: Found Uncle Zaku on their facebook. The store is Robot 4 Less in Fullerton, California.

Oh hey, Newtype had one like that at BuildCon. I took a lot of dumb selfies in front of that robot when I wasn't "busy" working. :shobon:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
One of the local anime shops has one here as well.

Had another thought on the Ver Ka situation as well, I'd love for it to be Kshatriya.

People have been banging on about one for aaaaaaages.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 24, 2020

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
100 million Bison dollars says it's a Zaku II ver Ka. They take the 2.0, skinny up the legs, make the neck longer so it can sorta peek down menacingly forward, put a bunch of surface detail, and sell it for $80.

Infinite P-Bandai varations, including the rare Psyco Zaku ver Ka.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Started working on the MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka

Started with some detail painting, the seated pilot figure and the chaingun in the arm.

Don't know why I bothered with the pilot figure, really. You put a control panel in front of him so you can see less of it than in every other MG I've made.

And how far I've made it so far, also with the lighting unit. Don't know where I got the idea that you're supposed to use a blue LED with it, the manual says green. Looks alright though.

This thing is going to be loving big and holy poo poo at some of the tiny pieces. Those little white circles on the forearms? Those are tiny separate pieces, I am deathly afraid of losing them when building.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Veotax posted:

Started working on the MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka

Started with some detail painting, the seated pilot figure and the chaingun in the arm.

Don't know why I bothered with the pilot figure, really. You put a control panel in front of him so you can see less of it than in every other MG I've made.

And how far I've made it so far, also with the lighting unit. Don't know where I got the idea that you're supposed to use a blue LED with it, the manual says green. Looks alright though.

This thing is going to be loving big and holy poo poo at some of the tiny pieces. Those little white circles on the forearms? Those are tiny separate pieces, I am deathly afraid of losing them when building.

gently caress me, my wife has one of these in her backlog and I really want to steal it even though I have my own kits to not build. Maybe we could do a team build or something...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

100 million Bison dollars says it's a Zaku II ver Ka. They take the 2.0, skinny up the legs, make the neck longer so it can sorta peek down menacingly forward, put a bunch of surface detail, and sell it for $80.

Infinite P-Bandai varations, including the rare Psyco Zaku ver Ka.

The current MG Psycho Zaku is a Ka though they could do a non Thunderbolt one analogous to the Full Armor Gundam, I suppose. Or is that the joke?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

I will be depressed and unsurprised if we end up with another Zaku or UC kit. I'll get beaten to death for saying it, but UC needs to quietly go away at this point.

Unrelated, progress on my Astray bust. Now on to panel line, detail, and clear coat the thing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Today's big announcements:
https://nextphase.bandai-hobby.net/evangelion.html
RG Eva Unit 08 Alpha
RG Eva Unit 03

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Puddin posted:

What if like this year we get a non Gundam Ver Ka and get an Eva Ver Ka?

Alright, I'm going back to my first guess.

Also :

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

(also ty to the poster who was handpainting their custom Epyon, I was bummed about not being able to airbrush due to reasons. Never tried handpainting, thought my paint days were over. But I've been handpainting an MG Tallgeese as I go and having a blast)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

Today's big announcements:
https://nextphase.bandai-hobby.net/evangelion.html
RG Eva Unit 08 Alpha
RG Eva Unit 03

Next one is Unit 04 or blue 00.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Marx Headroom posted:

(also ty to the poster who was handpainting their custom Epyon, I was bummed about not being able to airbrush due to reasons. Never tried handpainting, thought my paint days were over. But I've been handpainting an MG Tallgeese as I go and having a blast)

Hand painting is a very rewarding experience, it's super cathartic and you can just do it in small chunks without the hassle of setting up an airbrush if you don't have a dedicated space like me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

credit: @hitokabe49 on Twitter holy gently caress lmao
https://twitter.com/hitokabe49/status/1264848375238651905

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After the ol Rona draining all the stock in the shops I wanted to buy at I am getting 2 kits in the mail tomorrow. :3:
Picked up the MG XN Raiser and MG Wing.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Marx Headroom posted:

I will nominally call drawing the paint pen across the plastic handpainting yes. I have had to hand paint some of the thin spaces like thrusters etc with actual brushes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm building the pg zeta right now and this thing's got some crazy rear end wiring. The internal detail is fantastic, but I'm really going to have to scribe some panel lines on it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Avraham56/status/1264352809060691973

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Monaghan posted:

I'm building the pg zeta right now and this thing's got some crazy rear end wiring. The internal detail is fantastic, but I'm really going to have to scribe some panel lines on it.

The Zeta was my first (and second) PG, and I think I've gotten the wing lights to work never. It's from the era before enclosed LED units and it really shows it.

In contrast the PG 00 Seven Swords/G's GN Buster Sword has one LED unit and light piping to like six different panels and looks amazing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Hand painting is a very rewarding experience, it's super cathartic and you can just do it in small chunks without the hassle of setting up an airbrush if you don't have a dedicated space like me.

Exactly! I clip a few parts, sand and line, paint a few bits. Rinse and repeat. When I used an airbrush it was marathon sessions: clip and prep an entire limb, spend hours on setup + breakdown for airbrushing.

It's a nice change of pace and even when all this clears up I'll keep handpainting in my back pocket.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you only gave me nail clippers to deal with a gunpla kit, I'd be super pissed too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh drat. I think that is literally the first ever figure of any Silhouette Engine other than some gashapons

https://twitter.com/BluefinBrands/status/1262492176811847681?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And announced today, two more Kamen Riders

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn, the only sticker on Decade's head is the little yellow bit at the top of the middle card

I assume that literally everyone who builds this kit will say KAMEN RIDE: DECADE before putting the cards in

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe a bit late to join in but

Taintrunner posted:

Perfect mobile suit armored trooper design.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Finally got around to buildin this:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one: does that gundam have a nose and a moustache

two: what is the best possible, most affordable stand for action poses for a figure that does not have a buttport? a bandai tamashii nation stand? I think I have one and it doesn't seem particularly sturdy, the figure I'm hoping to use the stand for is ~8oz and is often holding things at least half that, in awkwardly-balanced poses that I want to make even more awkward with the support of a stand.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That's just the F91 doing what it does when it desperately needs all available vents - cracks its whole face open.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

asterioth posted:

Finally got around to buildin this:

F91 2.0 is a great kit and I wish I could get the F90 variants easily here in Aus.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Slanderer posted:

From searching the text on photo, I found this 2003 review this, which ID's them as the Microrobot line from a Korean company called Enjoymobil.

Searching Enjoymobil on ebay brings up a bunch of listings for their vintage robot toys, albeit from a different product line. I didn't dig deeper, so this particular line might still be available somewhere.

EDIT: I actually compared the photos and it looks like these ones are actually available on ebay, branded as Metabots by Enjoymobil

I built one of these in Korea in my spare time, and didn't bother to bring it back with me. They are super cheap and floppy. the joints are the only neat part of the kit.

I wouldn't try too hard to get one, FirstAidKite

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Puddin posted:

F91 2.0 is a great kit and I wish I could get the F90 variants easily here in Aus.

https://www.hearnshobbies.com/#/dfclassic/query=MG%20%22F90%22%20premium%20bandai&query_name=match_and

You never specified cheaply, only easily.

Still you should buy the F90 to remove the temptation for me.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Captain Invictus posted:

two: what is the best possible, most affordable stand for action poses for a figure that does not have a buttport? a bandai tamashii nation stand? I think I have one and it doesn't seem particularly sturdy, the figure I'm hoping to use the stand for is ~8oz and is often holding things at least half that, in awkwardly-balanced poses that I want to make even more awkward with the support of a stand.

Depends on what the figure is. For robots that are going to have certain types of peg-and-socket joints, the Bandai action bases have a whole ton of connectors, including a serious business u-joint. Heavy-rear end Master Grades don't even slip when you've fitted one of them properly.

(The goobers in the upper right.)

If you've got something more like a Revoltech or Figure Arts doll, you're going to have to use those crappy grabber arms, like the claw in the bottom right above. If it came to it, you could always get your figure in position, then put PVA glue in the grabber joints to keep it in place if it won't stay on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Depends on what the figure is. For robots that are going to have certain types of peg-and-socket joints, the Bandai action bases have a whole ton of connectors, including a serious business u-joint. Heavy-rear end Master Grades don't even slip when you've fitted one of them properly.

(The goobers in the upper right.)

If you've got something more like a Revoltech or Figure Arts doll, you're going to have to use those crappy grabber arms, like the claw in the bottom right above. If it came to it, you could always get your figure in position, then put PVA glue in the grabber joints to keep it in place if it won't stay on its own.

I absolutely love the Build Drivers version of this base. You have a nice little window you can put labels behind our just hit the details with some color to make it pop a bit.