Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
everdave those things are tippy as gently caress, please use the outriggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

....and look what happened 4 hours ago down the street from me:

Notice what's missing? Yeah, the outriggers. Or maybe they're just very shorted. Either way, a series of bad decisions, it landed on a car, multiple injuries and a $1.5M truck that is surely scrap now.

All to hang a loving flag over an open public highway for a few hours.

(NO, this is not my fire department, but it is the one the services my new house)

Jesus Christ.....there has to be more than three or four people involved in that decision, it baffles me sometimes that accidents like that happen because of mental failures by multiple people, and/or people too scared to tell the boss he's being and idiot

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jesus Christ.....there has to be more than three or four people involved in that decision, it baffles me sometimes that accidents like that happen because of mental failures by multiple people, and/or people too scared to tell the boss he's being and idiot

And I'm currently getting roasted on a local facebook group for pointing out that it's multiple safety violations to pull that off when I responded to a post "it's just a mistake, it could have been any one of us. Have GRACE." Turns out she's an ex-cop and is trying to push the "going against the family when you weren't there", thin blue(red) line bullshit. Yes, surely the best way to protect firefighters is to sweep this under the rug. (hint, multiple injuries - it landed on a car and that's one of the greasy spots you see in the right lanes - gotta be $2M in property damage - ain't nothing I can say or not say that isn't going to land that place in a hell of a pickle. Their insurance company, the county and probably the state is gonna give every last person on that scene a full rectal exam.)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Defending stupid is a traditional past time of fellow idiots.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If a thing has multiple warning lights, you should probably pay attention to them Everdave. (Honestly you should probably be testing the outriggers for proper function at the same time.)

dphi posted:

You're bringing a lot of sanity to an automotive insanity forum

Safety is a good thing. gently caress you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Actually really appreciate Motronic looking out and tbh I didn’t even plan on lifting it that high got excited and didn’t even think it would be a problem. Won’t happen again. Full test today! I did get in the bucket and confirm controls work from there but didn’t go but a few inches. Pics, and thank you:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Safety is a good thing. gently caress you.

:chloe:

I don't think a flippant joke post about the name of the forum is worth that kind of response.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

^^^
Yeah, I probably could have phrased it nicer, but I'm not feeling that creative atm.

everdave posted:

Actually really appreciate Motronic looking out and tbh I didn’t even plan on lifting it that high got excited and didn’t even think it would be a problem. Won’t happen again. Full test today! I did get in the bucket and confirm controls work from there but didn’t go but a few inches. Pics, and thank you:

We're only worried cause we like you. :shobon:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 25, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

We're only worried cause we like you. :shobon:

I appreciate it, and I was just giving Motronic a hard time...I don't think every safety rule should always be followed but I will always use the outriggers. It probably won't even get used by me again ready to put it up for sale. Anyone know someone needs one I would be happy to pay a referral fee!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

everdave posted:

I feel like this would be a kick-rear end little truck for a small arborist outfit or something. I hope the right eyes see this thing once you get it up for sale.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like this would be a kick-rear end little truck for a small arborist outfit

Realtalk: nope. Not even close. The bucket weight isn't nearly sufficient plus nobody uses trucks for that poo poo other than the companies contracted by power companies to trim pole to pole on roads who all have standards that look a lot more like having more capacity and height as well as air at the bucket for pruners. Small timers who trim off of the street are using 4x4 lifts.

I'm not sure what that thing can be legitimately used for stateside, but I guarantee you it's a novelty and not something that would require impossible to obtain insurance clearance to use it commercially.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. I think it's a cool little truck. But realistically I'm not sure what it can do for anything other than some farmer/rancher/hobby farm with an idea and cash to burn.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Yeah, my dad worked for Asplundh for decades doing contracted pole to pole trimming and right-of-way trimming and that thing wouldn’t get even halfway high enough to do the work needed. If I remember right he had a 50’ articulating boom on his truck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yeah, my dad worked for Asplundh for decades doing contracted pole to pole trimming and right-of-way trimming and that thing wouldn’t get even halfway high enough to do the work needed. If I remember right he had a 50’ articulating boom on his truck.

I'd be a little concerned about parts availability for the arm and bucket if I intended to use this to put food on the table.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Elmnt80 posted:

^^^
Yeah, I probably could have phrased it nicer, but I'm not feeling that creative atm.

Friend, if you thought I was making some kind of serious anti-safety statement with my post - I question how you've made it almost 8 years on this forum and are somehow a mod at that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Midjack posted:

I'd be a little concerned about parts availability for the arm and bucket if I intended to use this to put food on the table.

Old guy I had look it over said it looked like anyone who had ever used one would instantly know what to do with it, plus i have the part # and the manual and all that. I understand what you are saying but I think it is just pretty standard stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

everdave posted:

I appreciate it, and I was just giving Motronic a hard time...I don't think every safety rule should always be followed but I will always use the outriggers. It probably won't even get used by me again ready to put it up for sale. Anyone know someone needs one I would be happy to pay a referral fee!

This guy on SA forums 'everdave' needs one. I won't even take a referral fee.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

I don't think every safety rule should always be followed

Why do you say that?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

Realtalk: nope. Not even close. The bucket weight isn't nearly sufficient plus nobody uses trucks for that poo poo other than the companies contracted by power companies to trim pole to pole on roads who all have standards that look a lot more like having more capacity and height as well as air at the bucket for pruners. Small timers who trim off of the street are using 4x4 lifts.

I'm not sure what that thing can be legitimately used for stateside, but I guarantee you it's a novelty and not something that would require impossible to obtain insurance clearance to use it commercially.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. I think it's a cool little truck. But realistically I'm not sure what it can do for anything other than some farmer/rancher/hobby farm with an idea and cash to burn.

And that shows you just how much I know about bucket trucks or choppin' trees :)

Maybe a coconut picking business in Florida?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Picked up this little guy for a steal last night. Absolutely nothing special but a little jewel of a 24k mile manual Toyota hatch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

Picked up this little guy for a steal last night. Absolutely nothing special but a little jewel of a 24k mile manual Toyota hatch.

Looks like we both picked up a Tercel :v:

What did the inspector say? I wouldn't be interested anyway because a 4 speed is a bit too much of a thing for me, but the auction sheet was as-is and I've always been curious about them.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just starts one shot idles fine revs fine air works doesn’t have anything else to be broken. No smoke no rust.

Edit:

My 85 Acty 4wd Van with factory AC live on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-honda-acty-van/

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 28, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

THERE ARE NO FACTORY WHITE SERAS. Never was offered, this one started out as 'wine' hence why the engine bay looks how it does. Based on the fading on the black portions up top my guess is the sun ate the clearcoat and they went with white. I like the white quite a lot though and it looks like its done well as they even got the door jambs. Tinting on the rear window is trash and all the door struts are trash. Aftermarket headunit is OK, we'll see what it is actually like. And inexplicably a free PC liquid cooling radiator :confused:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
love it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that steering wheel cover is extremely thicc

I also LOVE "Casual Mode"

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Seems like that'd be one of the easier cars to paint the door jambs on heh. Loving the dual Alpines.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Acty Van going pretty well on BAT so far

Got port pics of a HiAce camper I won a few weeks ago and I am amazed. Can’t wait to get this one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

holy poo poo that steerin wheel

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Realtalk: nope. Not even close. The bucket weight isn't nearly sufficient plus nobody uses trucks for that poo poo other than the companies contracted by power companies to trim pole to pole on roads who all have standards that look a lot more like having more capacity and height as well as air at the bucket for pruners.

when Everdave posted it originally I noticed right away it was a former NTT truck, so yeah, national phone company keeping the phone line infrastructure clear.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

harperdc posted:

when Everdave posted it originally I noticed right away it was a former NTT truck, so yeah, national phone company keeping the phone line infrastructure clear.

I was going to list it locally or call
Some local tree services but Motronic’s comments made me just say eh I’ll put it up for a hobbyist or rich farmer or something. Submitted to BAT and it got insta-accepted

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

I was going to list it locally or call
Some local tree services but Motronic’s comments made me just say eh I’ll put it up for a hobbyist or rich farmer or something. Submitted to BAT and it got insta-accepted

Rich hobby farmer with an equipment obsession will eat that poo poo up. No matter what kind of hobby farm it is. They will come up with an excuse for a cool piece.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just where are you going to find an American thats not going to blow that 100kg weight limit as soon as they step in the bucket though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Just where are you going to find an American thats not going to blow that 100kg weight limit as soon as they step in the bucket though?

Wealthy people with hobby farms aren't the kind of people who are likely to blow a 220lb weight limit. They 1.) can afford whatever the gently caress food (healthy is both "in" and can be made expensive) 2.) have an active lifestyle 3.) are super vain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ferremit posted:

sup

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

dphi posted:

Seems like that'd be one of the easier cars to paint the door jambs on heh. Loving the dual Alpines.

Curious how those are wired up/work, since they appear to be two full head units rather than a head and add-on.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Curious how those are wired up/work, since they appear to be two full head units rather than a head and add-on.

Looks like only one is powered up so either they wired a switch to go between the two or the tape deck is just filling a hole.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

Having dealt with many JDM imports, the answer to “how are they wired?” is often “hilariously”.

My dad has an ex-Japan X3, and as well as the stock in dash radio and single CD with seperate 6 stack, we discovered a parallel wired DIN headunit buried in the passenger footwell. Only noticed cos it got turned on one day. I just turned it off and backed away.

Their mobile TV and DVD player setups also often result in antenna wiring all over the place.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just pulled the old dvd navigation system in my lite Ace van and dear go the amount of wires. Luckily I had the interior out anyways. I try to buy vehicles with stock radios bc as I ha e learned from Kaker and by experience the wiring for aftermarket units is usually amateur hour or just a mystery mess.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Their mobile TV and DVD player setups also often result in antenna wiring all over the place.

the Electronic Toll Control device wiring is also going to play a part, that's not always factory installed either so could wind up in shenanigans. Those usually have the card reader down in the footwell and an antenna around the edge of the front window.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Speaking of wiring and headunits:

Ctrl-z'd a whole heap of stuff on our white Land Cruiser, culminating going from this

to this

Swapped the can't-ever-turn-the-display-off Japan-only navigation unit for a single din marine Clarion that has bluetooth, aux-in, a whole bunch of other connection options but also allows anyone to press the twist knob in for a moment and the display shuts off without changing anything else, will continue playing. New plastic surround too as the previous owner had cracked it. And the little plastic panel to the left of the HVAC controls as that switch went nowhere.

Replaced these too, from this

to this

I had already removed the backup camera (yes really) and it's own display which was a cheap iPhone looking thing just stuck on the windshield, and the ETC and old head unit antenna. The benefit for me is that they did splice on connectors for the harness they cut up so changing how everything was wired is easy enough.

I am cautious about the Sera because that has the OG 'Live Sound' option and who knows how THAT'S been spliced into :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My Acty Van sold for $5500. Should have went for 7500 but I made a nice little profit, not enough to be esctatic but didn't do anything to it but wash it and mount new tires.

Bucket truck is accepted on BAT will go live in the next few weeks.

Mainly moving my low price stuff to focus on the poo poo ton of big $ campers I have here and on the way...