Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Jedit posted:

Remind me how they explained the Battle of Antarctica?

Probably a gas leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Meteor Shower.

Happens to hit all the communication satellites and that one Navy Battle group.

Made bright lights appear over Antarctica too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

xerxus posted:

Meteor Shower.

Happens to hit all the communication satellites and that one Navy Battle group.

Made bright lights appear over Antarctica too.

I can't remember, was that actually the explanation from the episode where that billionaire had figured everything out including having satellite photos of the battle?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Senor Tron posted:

I can't remember, was that actually the explanation from the episode where that billionaire had figured everything out including having satellite photos of the battle?

I think it was a throwaway line in the episode it happened saying it was a meteor shower.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
drat they made Ben Browder's character a straight up war criminal, that's harsh. It clearly wasn't his fault and he was given bad information but he still pulled the trigger on a bunch of refugees. I'm surprised the Air Force was on board!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
if the main Stargate timeline wasn't already propped up by plot armor and a dozen other dead end timelines/parallel universes, 2001 is honestly better than anything we could hope for in 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Autism Sneaks posted:

if the main Stargate timeline wasn't already propped up by plot armor and a dozen other dead end timelines/parallel universes, 2001 is honestly better than anything we could hope for in 2020

In one of the last few episodes I watched, the President closed all state borders and shut down air travel because 3000 people had an unknown virus.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

Senor Tron posted:

Introducing him at the offworld site to Captain Sheffield or whatever rank it was was a better moment than Carter saying she could MacGuyver up a solution to something.

Also missed opportunity after Shrek came out to incorporate the song "Chulak is a happy place"

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

General Battuta posted:

In one of the last few episodes I watched, the President closed all state borders and shut down air travel because 3000 people had an unknown virus.

"the United States is officially under quarantine", retrospectively one of the most unrealistic moments in the show. I also think this was the last episode we got to see Don S. Davis :smith:

e: also impressed they got Louis Gosset Jr. and CSM err I mean William B. Davis in the Prior makeup

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 26, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Autism Sneaks posted:

"the United States is officially under quarantine", retrospectively one of the most unrealistic moments in the show. I also think this was the last episode we got to see Don S. Davis :smith:

e: also impressed they got Louis Gosset Jr. and CSM err I mean William B. Davis in the Prior makeup

not the most difficult makeup he had to act in

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Squizzle posted:

not the most difficult makeup he had to act in

Outer Limits? Also it's crazy that I can still tell that's him, some people just have a really unique face.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Enemy Mine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, I've never heard of that movie. Is that TNG episode where Geordi is trapped with a Romulan just a copy of that movie?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, I've never heard of that movie. Is that TNG episode where Geordi is trapped with a Romulan just a copy of that movie?

They have a similar premise but I wouldn't call the TNG episode a copy. It's more that they're both a sci-fi "enemies learn to be friends" (though the TNG staff really should have come up with a different title.)

I'd strongly recommend seeing the movie btw.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

8one6 posted:

Enemy Mine.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

8one6 posted:

They have a similar premise but I wouldn't call the TNG episode a copy. It's more that they're both a sci-fi "enemies learn to be friends" (though the TNG staff really should have come up with a different title.)

I'd strongly recommend seeing the movie btw.

SG-1 has a season 7 episode also called Enemy Mine" and it's pretty much the same thing with a minor twist.

Edit ...just realized this is the stargate thread not star trek so y'all probably knew that

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 26, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s also about mining :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cojawfee posted:

No, it's the sci-fi remake of Hell in the Pacific with Gossett in Toshiro Mifune's role.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

I stand corrected, in season 2 Daniel no longer needs glasses after getting addicted to the sarcophagus, he's spending all his time in the sarcophagus and ignoring the plight of his friends, but the sarcophagus makes him feel so good, don't you see, it's changed him, do you GET IT, he's even lying to General Hammond so that he can keep using the sarcophagus, almost as though the sarcophagus... is drugs.

Subtext.

And then after what, a few days of cold turkey withdrawls? He needs his glasses again. Guess it only applies a permanent fix to bullet holes and staff weapon burns (and in this episode, rock fall crush trauma), any other cure it gives wears off after a while. Too bad they can't study these effects in any capacity because the sarcophagus is such a metaphor for drugs that Daniel, now clean of his addiction, is allowed to go back to the planet and destroy the only sarcophagus any SG team has encountered to date that isn't under goa'uld control. I hope they don't have to bring that up next time Senator Kinsey goes on about how little alien technology they've brought back for Earths benefit.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well we just finished SGU tonight. I'm not as pissed at the cancellation as I was about Farscape, but its still a pretty raw deal.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whatever happened to the Nox? That one chick helped the Tolan in that one episode (then they were wiped out a season or two later anyway).

did they just peace out forever at some point? Like they dont even bother helping the Asgard or ever even mention the ancients their two big alliance allies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Whatever happened to the Nox? That one chick helped the Tolan in that one episode (then they were wiped out a season or two later anyway).

did they just peace out forever at some point? Like they dont even bother helping the Asgard or ever even mention the ancients their two big alliance allies.

As far as I remember they were never seen or mentioned again after that Tollan episode. Given their philosophy of extreme pacifism, I assume they were able to hide from or neutralize the Replicators and Ori well enough but didn't bother anyone else. They also practiced a level of technological and ecological noninterference that made the Federation look like the Imperium of Man, so maybe they just didn't want to help the Asgard or Ancients with the messes they got themselves into.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

And, to be fair, both the Asgardians and Ancients/Ori created HUGE loving DISASTERS that nearly wiped out several galaxies, so maybe hippie plant-hair Quark and his buddies had the right idea.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess but why bother entering into the SPACE U.N. at that point

8one6
May 20, 2012

They may have been slightly more relaxed tens of thousands of years ago when the alliance was formed. Hell, maybe it was watching the Ancients litter the universe with accidental doomsday machines that led to their extreme pacifism.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I like the Nox, I always like how happy O'Neill is to see them and Lya is neat. At some point they probably wiped everybody's memory of ever interacting with them so they could go back to chilling in the woods. You would think they might've pitched in when Anubis was going to destroy all life in the galaxy, though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The worst part about these later seasons is the total loss of interesting one-off planets in favor of endless Ren Faire villages.

e: The dragon at the end of 'The Quest, Part 1' is a real low point

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 2, 2020

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Missed opportunity for them to visit the Army of Darkness planet. The Necronomicon causes Incredible Permadeath if misused by someone unknowing who stumbles upon it so it may as well be Ancient tech

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

General Battuta posted:

The worst part about these later seasons is the total loss of interesting one-off planets in favor of endless Ren Faire villages.

e: The dragon at the end of 'The Quest, Part 1' is a real low point

I think they kept the same budget but split it with Atlantis at that point. I like Atlantis but it looked super cheap.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think they kept the same budget but split it with Atlantis at that point. I like Atlantis but it looked super cheap.

I wish Atlantis had looked like the previous Ancient technology we saw up to that point, lots of heavy stonework with moving bits.

And don't get me started on the early 2000's high tech blue-LED gates.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

I wish Atlantis had looked like the previous Ancient technology we saw up to that point, lots of heavy stonework with moving bits.

And don't get me started on the early 2000's high tech blue-LED gates.

The fact that the gates in the later shows didn't have the movable ring always bugged the heck out of me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you know how much it costs just to turn the ring on in this place?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I just finished SGU and the stargates definitely revolved in that one.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

and steam too

budget blown

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I just finished SGU and the stargates definitely revolved in that one.

The entire gate revolves in the plinth, which is a whole other level of :what:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I see that this year's Stargate-Con or whatever they call it... let's go wiiith... The Gathering of the Visually Dissimilar Ba'als is going to be online this year. You can pay to be on a Zoom call with Walter. There are pay-what-you-can Q&A Panels with room for 100 people with each of the following people:

Michael Shanks (“Dr. Daniel Jackson” of Stargate SG-1)
Amanda Tapping (“Colonel Samantha Carter” of Stargate SG-1)
Ben Browder (“Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell” of Stargate SG-1)
Joe Flanigan (“Lt. Colonel John Sheppard” of Stargate: Atlantis)
Rachel Luttrell (“Teyla Emmagan” of Stargate: Atlantis)
David Nykl (“Dr. Radek Zelenka” of Stargate: Atlantis)
Jewel Staite (“Dr. Jennifer Keller” of Stargate: Atlantis)
Alexis Cruz (“Skaara/Klorel” of Stargate: SG-1)
Gary Jones (“Chief Mst Sgt. Walter Harriman” of Stargate SG-1)
Kirby Morrow (“Captain Dave Kleinman” of Stargate: Atlantis)
Duo: Alex Zahara (from SG-1) and Dan Payne (of SG-1 and Atlantis)
Pay to sign up here

Amanda Tapping currently barely leading Joe Flannigan in the first to sell out of seats popularity contest. There's also 45 minute Meet and Greets by auction for each person too. I think they are 10 person Zoom calls so you may get up to 4 minutes to explain your theories on why the gate does or does not spin and how frequently you can Zat a baby to make it sleep.
Full schedule and bid on Meet & Greet

Thought I'd post it since the tickets are very limited and running out fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like Michael Shanks would love to get into a discussion of how often he thinks you can zat a baby to get it to go to sleep.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Seeing Amanda Tapping at a con is what convinced me to give the full run of Stargate a serious chance. She's such an amazing human being and so kind to all of her fans.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CapnBry posted:

You can pay to be on a Zoom call with Walter.

"Say the line, Walt! Say the line!"
"*sigh* Chevron seven locked, and engaged."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

"Say the line, Walt! Say the line!"
"*sigh* Chevron seven locked, and engaged."
Oh that's the one you want? I would want "UNSCHEDULED OFF-WORLD ACTIVATION!" (in my pants).