Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Whatever you think Glinner thinks he's saying, it's probably something even stupider, like "if two trans women are dating they're actually just gay men in denial gotcha"

d3lness posted:

That distinction is fairly common. Lots of people believe in something, but draw that line at having to essential swear fealty to an organization. Considering how hosed up so many religious organizations are I can't say I'm surprised. Hell, I was in that boat myself for the longest time until I finally slid into agnosticism.

Otoh you have a whole crowd of irredeemable piles of human filth who refuse to acknowledge their lovely ways and claim to have some sort of faith without having to actually put any effort in.

I met a guy who argued that Protestantism was the only proper religion on these grounds, that being a proper protestant required you to engage with a philosophical framework and reflect on your self and your actions, while others will just let you coast right on through with a proclamation of faith. I'd have loved to probe deeper into that statement, but I was engrossed in a different conversation at the time, and also because I feel weird digging into matters of religion, as it's something in which I have no personal experience.

I kind of had the opposite experience as the one of people identifying as spiritual; I've never believed in anything that could be considered spiritual, but I've also been uncomfortable with the label of atheist because of the kind of people championing it. Then I realized you didn't have to be either, and now I consider myself a materialist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I met a guy who argued that Protestantism was the only proper religion on these grounds, that being a proper protestant required you to engage with a philosophical framework and reflect on your self and your actions, while others will just let you coast right on through with a proclamation of faith. I'd have loved to probe deeper into that statement, but I was engrossed in a different conversation at the time, and also because I feel weird digging into matters of religion, as it's something in which I have no personal experience.

this just sounds weirdly haughty and solipsistic to me, like my religion is the only one with a developed philosophy and school of thought, where all these other ones i don't know anything about are clearly just superficial nonsense

i'm imagining a protestant monk giving a buddhist monk tips on self-reflection

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That was the exact image I had as well, and I'm curious if I'm just misrepresenting him because he otherwise came off as an intelligent, introspective dude.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Whatever you think Glinner thinks he's saying, it's probably something even stupider, like "if two trans women are dating they're actually just gay men in denial gotcha"

It's like this reaction video from a transman youtuber (username Jammidodger) reacting to that college idiot girl who was all about guns and is also a TERF, where she tried to switch language during a conversation to "gotcha" the student but got got herself:

"Would you be concerned if you saw a woman in the girls bathroom using a urinal?"
"No. It's none of my business."
"So it wouldn't bother you if you saw a man in the girls bathroom?"
"If they're in the girls bathroom then they identify as a woman." *Walks away*

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm still not sure of what exactly triggered Glinner's dive into lunacy, but my god that guy needs to sit down in the dark for a bit. Maybe with a cup of tea and a blanket. No phone, though.

This has come up before (unsurprisingly), and I might get a detail or two wrong, but;

Off the top of my head, theres one episode of the IT crowd where the boss gets into a relationship with a woman who is perfect for him, when he discovers she's trans he gets into a fistfight with her (played for slapstick). When I saw the episode originally I thought the joke was supposed to be "The boss is such a toxic macho idiot that he throws away his perfect relationship", but apparently Glinner intended the joke to be "He punches a woman and its funny because shes trans. Also lol he slept with a transwoman". He was called out on it (in, IIRC fairly mild "Uh, I dont think you've thought through the implications of what you wrote here Graham" terms), and essentially made a deliberate decision to become Transphobic As gently caress. Like theres an interview somewhere where he basically says "I put a trans character in my show and didnt get a pat on the head! Well, if I'm going to be called transphobic I'll show them, I'll show them all!!!!!".

Seriously, something broke in his brain, but it doesnt go back to losing a testicle, it goes back to him not liking the reception of one episode of the IT crowd. He just didnt go ball out with it until after abortion was legalised in Ireland (which up til then had been his main cause). Obviously I stand to be corrected, but thats what I always heard was the start of the dive.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

SiKboy posted:

.... He just didnt go ball out with it...

Lol

Also, thank you! That is *bonkers*

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

bhangraton posted:

What noble savages

I can't find the quote, but came across some self-proclaimed historian claiming that (Quoting from memory) "Women in earlier times didn't have a concept of consent, and therefor didn't feel violated by rape. To them sex was just another penis come to visit, no different from other sex. The idea that rape can leave lasting mental or physical damage is a new invention, not known outside European cultures, nor mentioned before the rise of feminism"

(Really, really do not want to soil my google trying to find that quote)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

bhangraton posted:

What noble savages

Native nations: totally culturally homogeneous. I am definitely not racist.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SerialKilldeer posted:

There's also some Christians who claim that Christianity isn't a religion, but a "connection to God" or something along those lines. I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be.

Fishstick posted:

It's the convenient way in which they can still label themselves as a Christian (and therefore Are Good People) without having to actually bother with pesky Christian tenets that require effort, time, or sacrifice.

You also see it a lot with certain kind of Protestants, and part of it is attempting to distinguish themselves from more liturgical and ritualized sects like Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox.

Essentially they’ll view the difference between religion and a personal connection to Christ as the difference between the Pharisees and Jesus.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Concerning "noble savages", I've been reading 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus and would highly recommend. They do a great job of weaving together different sources into a picture of the Americas prior to European colonization.

No surprise, but the humans were much more diverse and complex than are normally portrayed. However, I have been surprised to learn how much they managed and changed the land around them versus the common conception that they lived in total harmony with the land and changed nothing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Harmless :downs: IOSM.

Boomers are the only ones who will recognize lyrics!

its all nice on rice has a new favorite as of 18:15 on May 26, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jjack229 posted:

Concerning "noble savages", I've been reading 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus and would highly recommend. They do a great job of weaving together different sources into a picture of the Americas prior to European colonization.

No surprise, but the humans were much more diverse and complex than are normally portrayed. However, I have been surprised to learn how much they managed and changed the land around them versus the common conception that they lived in total harmony with the land and changed nothing.

The "noble savage" myth is basically the same reasoning as the "terrifying savage" one, just applied positively rather than negatively. Both involve infantilizing native peoples and denying them the complexity of humanity. It just switches from treating them as crazy animals to treating them as pure and good children of the land who were corrupted by European influence.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like this reaction video from a transman youtuber (username Jammidodger) reacting to that college idiot girl who was all about guns and is also a TERF, where she tried to switch language during a conversation to "gotcha" the student but got got herself:

"Would you be concerned if you saw a woman in the girls bathroom using a urinal?"

Where are these bathrooms that have urinals installed as a 'gotcha'? Its like saying "What if you saw someone looking at their FACE in the MIRROR?!?" Yes, that is literally the reason why it is there, to be used.

But really the best answer is, "I'm not worried about people using the urinal in a bathroom. I'm worried about the creep hanging out in the bathroom staring at everyone trying to pee."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dienes posted:

Where are these bathrooms that have urinals installed as a 'gotcha'? Its like saying "What if you saw someone looking at their FACE in the MIRROR?!?" Yes, that is literally the reason why it is there, to be used.

But really the best answer is, "I'm not worried about people using the urinal in a bathroom. I'm worried about the creep hanging out in the bathroom staring at everyone trying to pee."

God, I never even considered the "urinal in a girl's bathroom" part.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Glinner is 100% wrong a complete piece of poo poo. That being said, one of the world's leading queer theorists Michel Foucault tried to make a case that gay desires were rooted in trans bodies in his critique of Zambinella. It's only in fairly recent writings (say post 1990's) that are arguing for a theory of trans people existing independently of homo/hetero divide. Emma Heaney's New Woman was published in 2017.

That being said, I'm a thousand percent sure Foucault would re-evaluate his writings as all good theorists do as new information comes up and if a 90 year old grandmother could change her thinking and beliefs because she's grown smarter, anyone can.

Glinner is 100% wrong and a complete piece of poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I don’t describe myself as religious but as spiritual

Is everyone just gonna leave this one hanging?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fister Roboto posted:

Is everyone just gonna leave this one hanging?

More like old... jainless?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

chitoryu12 posted:

God, I never even considered the "urinal in a girl's bathroom" part.

She was asking hypothetically "Would you be bothered by installing urinals in the womens restrooms for women with penises, or tampon/sanitary towel dispensers in mens rooms for men who have periods" - most answers were "I don't care but it sounds like a good idea", the opposite to what she was hoping to get.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I know of at least one college party which would have preferred she used either bathroom.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

BioEnchanted posted:

She was asking hypothetically "Would you be bothered by installing urinals in the womens restrooms for women with penises, or tampon/sanitary towel dispensers in mens rooms for men who have periods" - most answers were "I don't care but it sounds like a good idea", the opposite to what she was hoping to get.
Hell my college dorm bathroom had urinals because the dorm used to be men-only, and if a woman had walked in and unzipped and used the urinal i wouldn't have loving cared because I have no investment in how other people pee.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why would you even need urinals? Literally everyone can pee sitting down.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
You can install more urinals in a smaller space than standard toilets, and they (probably) use less water.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would you even need urinals? Literally everyone can pee sitting down.

You can more efficiently pack people in if they're standing next to each other rather than sitting. And people are generally more okay lining up at a shared trough to pee than at adjacent, unseparated seats.

The real question is why people bother standing up to pee at toilets designed for sitting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah I was really pleased by the number of people who are like "if someone needs them, then yes provide them"

Well why would a man be having a period? "Who cares?" Why would woman urinate through her penis? "Who cares?" If it didn't happen, it wouldn't happen, and if it happens, provide what people need.

Like people don't have to be trans even to need certain things proscribed to the "other" gender's habits. People's bodies are enough different shapes without even bringing anything else into it, like I'll sit when I pee so my weird double-stream doesn't get all over the place. I'm not wracked with gendered self-doubt during that act, just the regular sort.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/struggle_tweet/status/1265070806603726849?s=21

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There was actually a transman she was speaking to who passed so she thought he was cis. So she was completely floored when he was like "Actually I would find that to be quite useful for my periods, so yeah, that would be great!" It seemed he was intentionally waiting for the funniest time to clue her in too, he was having fun with her.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I stopped peeing while standing when I got my dick pierced. I think everyone should do that to eliminate piss going everywhere

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just use stalls because I have bad aim and am kind of shy, so a urinal takes a while for me.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
urinals are vastly preferable to the piss trough, or the immense challenge of the double-sided piss trough

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

How about a piss circle. Like a piss cul-de-sac

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
^^^ how about we just cut a big hole in the floor and everyone can choose how they want to engage with it

BioEnchanted posted:

There was actually a transman she was speaking to who passed so she thought he was cis. So she was completely floored when he was like "Actually I would find that to be quite useful for my periods, so yeah, that would be great!" It seemed he was intentionally waiting for the funniest time to clue her in too, he was having fun with her.

And we only know about this because she released the footage, right? It’s not like there was a separate camera crew recording her getting completely dunked on. She opted to include that material in the final cut because she thought it made her look good.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

goblin week posted:

I stopped peeing while standing when I got my dick pierced. I think everyone should do that to eliminate piss going everywhere

Well they'd have had a much harder time piercing it if you hadn't stopped.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hihohe posted:

How about a piss circle. Like a piss cul-de-sac

Is the drain in the center or around the perimeter?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Around the perimeter
it's like you took the trough and bent it into a C shape

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can't even work out what his case is.

Hetero trans women won't date trans women and gay trans women will.
Even if you take his shithead stance of trans women aren't women, then hetero trans women won't date trans women and gay trans women will. Either way you still have trans women dating trans women....

It's loving baffling.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In grade school we had a big circle trough we would all stand around and piss into and more places need that. Shoulder to shoulder with your bros just having the time of your life racing each other to see who finishes first.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

BioEnchanted posted:

Genuinely my favorite one of these things from any of these CHUDs
https://i.imgur.com/3MBxbXi.mp4

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

hooman posted:

I can't even work out what his case is.

Hetero trans women won't date trans women and gay trans women will.
Even if you take his shithead stance of trans women aren't women, then hetero trans women won't date trans women and gay trans women will. Either way you still have trans women dating trans women....

It's loving baffling.

It's begging the question.

"My theory is that trans women are just men who want to sleep with lesbians. If so, trans women will never sleep with other trans women."
"But trans lesbians sleep with other trans women all the time."
"No, you don't understand. My theory is Right"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's also severely oversimplifying sexual attraction - it's not a blanket thing, it's a case-by-case basis. A cis lesbian may be sexually attracted to a transwoman, or a ciswoman, or they both could just not be her type. Often, even if the situation matches the orientation, they just don't do it for the person. It's the same with anyone - you likely don't even know your orientation for sure until you meet the right person (or see the right porn :P) and feel the stirring that tells you "Ah, that's what kind of person I'm into." and then hope they are into you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Toilets should all be single unisex stalls. Space saving be damned, I wanna pee in privacy.