Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

everdave posted:

I am not one to begrudge someone buying anything they want but the SE does come in 256, I just got one. Upgraded from my OG 6+ (not the S) been using for 5+ years.

Wish the SE had the bigger screen but I needed the camera (really, for car sales pics) and the 6 wasn't getting updated anymore. I only paid something ridiculous like $350 for the 256gb with a $40 upgrade fee added because I had the same phone so long.

I also had a customer pay me with a walmart gift card and I splurged and got the Apple Watch series 3 bc it was just $209 (GC was for $200). So far I like it. Never had one before.

Alarbus posted:

Australian prices and supply are hosed up to start with, though.

Yep. No option for the 256gb SE in Australia through my network carrier. Other carriers have em, but they also dont have reception in certain places. Like one end of my house...

While your at it, Check out how badly we get shafted on device costs here in Aus. If you want to buy that 256gb SE directly from apple, its an AU$999 phone, which is $662 US dollars, so just about double what you paid for it.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan#!/filter/brand//os//features//type//sort/featured

In other news, Went to the butchers tonight and couldnt pass these up.

Grass fed local T bone steaks

And decently thick cut too.

So I cooked them the only appropriate way. To medium rare, with salt and pepper, over fire.

Yes, that is the slow combustion stove inside my house. Yes, it did cover the stove with fat and fill the house with smoke. No I dont care about either of those things because...

It was loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Hey, at least it's over now, right? We just moved houses last summer and I'll stan professional movers forever. Those guys are loving heroes.

I hope you don't dwell too much on how sick of her poo poo you are. This sounds like a pretty good jumping off point for moving on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
not to be too like, 2020 sjw woke bullshit or whatever but whenever anyone has a username like Das Volk i kind of uhh have some questions

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ferremit posted:

In other news, Went to the butchers tonight and couldnt pass these up.

Grass fed local T bone steaks

And decently thick cut too.

So I cooked them the only appropriate way. To medium rare, with salt and pepper, over fire.

Yes, that is the slow combustion stove inside my house. Yes, it did cover the stove with fat and fill the house with smoke. No I dont care about either of those things because...

It was loving perfect.

Dude, stop it, I can only get so erect

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Steak pics are the best thing about 2020 so far.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That's a fine piece of meat. I'd eat that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not to be too like, 2020 sjw woke bullshit or whatever but whenever anyone has a username like Das Volk i kind of uhh have some questions

I was FB friends with him for a while. Defriended him when he went full MAGA, so... I guess I can't disprove your theory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone share your quarantine steaks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My wife doesn't really eat beef and we live in an apartment without access to a grill, which sucks. So here are some pre-cooking lamb chops.

Seasoned with salt and pepper, olive oil, bay leaves, garlic and orange rind. Once that's all coated up, add a little ras el hanout and make sure you cover the sides. (If you don't have any, you can make your own - mine is a bit of cumin, decent amount of cinnamon, a bit of nutmeg, a good dose of cardamon, a small amount of allspice, and a bit of cloves).

In a pan on the stove, maybe 5-7 minutes medium-high heat in a heavy pan depending on thickness of meat. turn em over pretty frequently.

I didn't get post pics but they came out real nice, about six minutes gave a nice slightly beyond medium rare. It's pretty quick to throw together, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't use a grill - I sous vide or reverse sear the steak and finish it off on a ripping hot cast iron.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meltie posted:

:hmmyes: expensive phones are expensive.
The same company has less expensive options in their line-up that you could have chosen.

Seriously. I spent $400 on the new SE, and I'm quite happy with it. I kind of miss the big screen of my 6S+, but kinda don't miss its size in my pocket. I specifically like that the SE is just an iPhone 8 with a newer, faster processor and slightly better camera, and thus still has a physical home button with Touch ID - ne of this facial recognition poo poo (that doesn't work with COVID masks...)

fake edit: saw later posts regarding Aus. pricing, and yeah, you guys get shafted. Sorry about that. Funny thing is that I think Oz is closer to China than the US is. You'd think it would be cheaper.

Ferremit posted:

I got stuck in a perfect storm of a phone thats properly dying, Corona virus and upgrading my cars head unit.

Ive got a 64gb 6s, but its properly at end of life- battery lasts around 18 mins on LTE, 20-30 mins on wifi without being tethered to a battery pack and even on a battery pack or a charger it can reset if you ask it to do a high load task because theres a few other issues with it, and it also has a broken screen. Corona virus has also absolutely hosed supply of phones here in Aus, and our carrier choice is a lot more limited so trying to find a phone that suits you thats in stock is a pain in the arse too, plus changing carriers isnt really an easy option if you want coverage in the more remote parts of the country which I need for work. The upgrade of the head unit in the car to CarPlay meant that I couldnt use my 160gb ipod any more so i've had to shift all my music to my phone, so the 64GB of storage on the old phone wasnt really enough any more. I can stream the music, but im often in places where theres crappy or zero signal reception so I need to store it locally on the device so I can actually listen to music instead of just getting nothing due to poor reception.

Iphone SE only comes in 128gb and I wanted a 256gb phone.
Theres no stock of iphone 11's in 256gb in Australia atm.

So If I want that capacity, in an Iphone, im stuck with an 11 Pro or an 11 Pro Max.

Exactly- When I got my 6s, it was the flagship phone at the time and it wasnt a $2K device. Phones have gotten so expensive in Australia that all the carriers have had to introduce 36 month plans because people are baulking at the idea of paying $80 a month for the device + a minimum of $50 per month of service cost. For example if you want a 100gb a month plan because your a heavy user and want the Iphone 11 Pro in 512gb but only want a 24 month plan, your going to be forking out $177 Australian dollarydoos a month for the experience!

Car head units still generally have headphone-in jacks. So the iPod is still useful, you just have to use the iPod's controls, of course. Also, pretty much every head unit that has USB can play directly from a thumb drive - fewer options with the playlists and such, of course, but perfectly capable.

mariooncrack posted:

I believe it stops getting security patches in October. Say what you will about Apple, there's nobody who supports their phones longer than them.

On the negative side, there's nobody who supports their phones *but* them, for better or worse. Usually better, but there have been a few times...

STR: :sever:
Completely. Be done with it.

Also, I need to go play in the mud with our Outback, just so it's not a complete poser. Have to turn the VDC off, though, or it won't be entertaining. That poo poo actually worked really well when I went to slide it around a u-turn in the wet. It said "nope" and straightened the car right up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

As an android developer for connected vehicle stuff,

Please don’t use android anymore. Some of the unpatched security exceptions they have leftover + the amount of stuff I can programmatically gain access to even after their clamp downs makes my skin crawl

Its okay, just send a text to an iPhone to do the same thing. Apple's entire security model is obscurity, they often go after security researchers and the tools they use to make doing proper audit of those security flaws difficult. Android, at least, can be done easily. I'd rather have the vulnerability I know about than the one I don't.

Outside of its good privacy policies (void in China), Apple isn't any better, it just has an air of security due to its black box/walled garden methods. Apple would have the same issues as Android if it had as large a number of hardware/OS fork vendors as Android, that's just part of having an OS licensed for general platform use rather than restricting the OS to only hardware supplied by the OS vendor.

All Tech Is Bad, but at least don't support a company that openly lobbies against Right to Repair.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 26, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

I don't use a grill - I sous vide or reverse sear the steak and finish it off on a ripping hot cast iron.

Nothing like charcoal for the smoky flavor tho, red hot coals to sear on one side of the grill then cover and finish indirect on the other side.

I've got it down to the point we don't ever eat steak out unless it's wagyu or something, I can do it at home for a third of the price when steaks are on sale.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I was checking out touchup paint for my mom's CRV and now I know why they are all white

2014: 3 slightly different white colors offered
2015: 4 white colors
2016: 3 white colors

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Humphreys posted:

Just did this privately myself and next time, its clothes and harddrives. Then burn the rest.

I really don't own much. It was 90% her poo poo. I own a dresser, a mini fridge, a bedside table, an end table, a couple of lamps, a fan, a desk chair, and a pc. Plus clothes.

And now a cheap Wayfair (discount online home decor retailer) bed that I fully intend to take to the dump next time I move. Far from a great mattress, but what do you expect for $180. At least it's a hybrid instead of foam, so I don't burn up on it. Would have done better going to Ikea, but retail was still shut down and ikea wasn't even doing in-store pickup at the time.

Darchangel posted:

STR: :sever:
Completely. Be done with it.

Also, I need to go play in the mud with our Outback, just so it's not a complete poser. Have to turn the VDC off, though, or it won't be entertaining. That poo poo actually worked really well when I went to slide it around a u-turn in the wet. It said "nope" and straightened the car right up.

Sever is in the distant past at this point, trust me.

And yeah, that stupid car had me giggling like an idiot after it'd rained all night. I didn't think it could do rooster tails, I guess it can when you slam into muddy water with it wide open around a turn. The ABS gets full on stupid in mud though, it's prone to just making you slide. I'm sure my half worn 7 year old all season tires don't help though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I see your ribs, and I raise you 3 pork butts.

https://i.imgur.com/JyxM30I.mp4

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its okay, just send a text to an iPhone to do the same thing. Apple's entire security model is obscurity, they often go after security researchers and the tools they use to make doing proper audit of those security flaws difficult. Android, at least, can be done easily. I'd rather have the vulnerability I know about than the one I don't.

Outside of its good privacy policies (void in China), Apple isn't any better, it just has an air of security due to its black box/walled garden methods. Apple would have the same issues as Android if it had as large a number of hardware/OS fork vendors as Android, that's just part of having an OS licensed for general platform use rather than restricting the OS to only hardware supplied by the OS vendor.

All Tech Is Bad, but at least don't support a company that openly lobbies against Right to Repair.

Zerodium currently pays up to $500k higher for an Android full exploit chain with persistence (zero click) than it does for iOS, which doesn't speak highly towards iOS being more secure. They also aren't accepting any new iOS submissions for three months because they already have enough. And from what I've seen, iMessage is an absolute mess of code so no wonder there are semi-frequent exploits just involving texting an iPhone.

RE: steak chat, I've been a little bored and playing with fancier meats recently.

An unknown origin wagyu filet from Gelson's:

Cooked it a little warmer than I usually would for a filet, 130 degree sous vide then seared in a grill pan with some oil over a hot charcoal fire:

Miyazaki A5 wagyu strip loin from J&J Distributors in Los Angeles:

Cooked it over a griddle at a friend's house:

Probably should have trimmed it but it was delicious anyway. Pretty much like someone combined butter with steak:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

Zerodium currently pays up to $500k higher for an Android full exploit chain with persistence (zero click) than it does for iOS, which doesn't speak highly towards iOS being more secure. They also aren't accepting any new iOS submissions for three months because they already have enough. And from what I've seen, iMessage is an absolute mess of code so no wonder there are semi-frequent exploits just involving texting an iPhone.

Exactly. Apple's security is that they depend on lack of knowledge to maintain it. But the reality is people will make the necessary tools to find vulnerabilities in Apple's devices and OS. Android has flaws, any human made product does, but they also are more willing to listen to researchers.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have stickers or magnets on their car? I know they’re generally considered distasteful; but I’m curious (dealer badges don’t count).

Sometimes I want to put something on my Miata that’s a statement against unnecessary crossovers and SUVs - I get a lot of commentary on how impractical it must be from people driving an empty 5000 lb battering ram without a clue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blk posted:

Anyone have stickers or magnets on their car? I know they’re generally considered distasteful; but I’m curious (dealer badges don’t count).

Sometimes I want to put something on my Miata that’s a statement against unnecessary crossovers and SUVs - I get a lot of commentary on how impractical it must be from people driving an empty 5000 lb battering ram without a clue.

I put stickers on my rear Window.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I paid $666 (seriously $666.19 hail Satan) for two movers and one truck for just under 5 hours and it was worth every penny. I still moved a bunch of stuff myself due to covid related timing and I hated every minute of it.

I hope I only move one more time in my life and hopefully it's like 10 years from now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nobody gives a gently caress about your lovely opinions so don't put some Deeply Clever Look At How Intelligent I Am sticker on your car

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

or do. It's your car, do whatever you want with it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My winter daily RX-8 is getting a full JPS x Boss Coffee vinyl decal kit.

The back window of my truck has two big decals and the wife's daily has a full Martini kit.

So yeah, decals all the way. They're worth 5kW each after all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

My winter daily RX-8 is getting a full JPS x Boss Coffee vinyl decal kit.

The back window of my truck has two big decals and the wife's daily has a full Martini kit.

So yeah, decals all the way. They're worth 5kW each after all.

Share a picture of your wife's car!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'll put a few stickers of my local surf shops on my rear glass just to support them, if the little bit of advertisement helps I'm cool with it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

hmm, maybe I need to put some M3 badges on my XC90

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Most of mine are supporting my local VW/Audi shop, my local infosec group, etc.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Safety Dance posted:

Share a picture of your wife's car!

Ask and ye shall receive. I never need a reason to spam this thing really.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Toyota just said they're going to allocate a Hakone 86 to the dealership that's playing ball.

The caveat is I have to sign a purchase agreement first.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

let us know when you pick it up!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Ask and ye shall receive. I never need a reason to spam this thing really.

It looks so good!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My sticker collections on the Q7

I have some on the older Audis.

E: Surprise cat! I also edited out my license plate but left the wifes. But hers is expired and the cars being sold, meh.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 26, 2020

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

taqueso posted:

let us know when you pick it up!

I'm still waiting for reality to slap me in the face.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about your lovely opinions so don't put some Deeply Clever Look At How Intelligent I Am sticker on your car

I want a "Deeply Clever Look At How Intelligent I Am" sticker, where can I get one :(

I have English heritage and national trust stickers on the car, you get free parking at their sites when there's not an apocalypse on. I think that makes me deeply middle class.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

blk posted:

My '93 Plymouth Colt had a "YEAH IT'S GOT A HEMI!" Sticker from the po, on the rear hatch, which I thought was hilarious, when I scrapped that car I took the hatch off, built a crate for it, and shipped it Greyhound from NY to CA, my buddy's grandparents who I shipped it to found it equally amusing, bonus points for it being a 90's teal hatch on an 80's poo poo brown car.

A lot of dirtbike riders around here have this sticker:

Expressing their dislike of slow, cumbersome, lovely, dangerous vehicles that get in the way, so a riff off that might work for you.

I also searched to see if a similar thing already existed and, uh...

WTF are you trying to suggest here Google?

E: Oh yeah, my truck has a couple stupid "PROUD PARENT OF A NAVY SAILOR!!!" Stickers on the window, which looks pretty dumb since I'm a sailor, but it's my Dad's old truck so I can't really take 'em off. Plus (:911: wordswordswords) and (:symbolofthedeptofthenavy: wordswordswords) bumper stickers kinda fade into the tapestry around here.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 26, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

WTF are you trying to suggest here Google?

Join the EU already, you drat chocoholics!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I want a "Deeply Clever Look At How Intelligent I Am" sticker, where can I get one :(

I have English heritage and national trust stickers on the car, you get free parking at their sites when there's not an apocalypse on. I think that makes me deeply middle class.

print the stickers!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just applied some eBay decals to one of my campers to break up the white and cover some ghosting from old weird graphics. Did much better on second side and if I had a friend to help (they all have bots and were at the lake) would have gone a lot better.

Also got kei bucket truck fully functional and ready for sale