Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The 360 keypad attachment was very similar to this and was loving awesome.

Why use that on the 360 when it has voice chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Spacebump posted:

how do you say "8====D~~" over voice chat

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Spacebump posted:

I always found that the voice chat sucked (circa 2010)

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

While not specifically Nintendo focused, there's a bootleg Direct starting in an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCNzOPR8Ck

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I always found that the voice chat sucked (circa 2010)

it depended on the game. I don't recall if it had system level party chat like the bone and ps4 (voice messaging was a thing though), but the 360 had no official .api, so every game had their own codec and the resulting quality could be decent (Infinity Ward CoD games) or bad (every Treyarch CoD).

In addition, the 360 supported MSN Instant Messenger, and it ruled. If you weren't using IM or sending everyone hatemail, then yeah, the keyboard wasn't really necessary.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 26, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Metroid Prime Trilogy, but it's Metroid All-stars and it's literally every single Metroid game on one cart ported to Switch.

also as secret bonus feature they all include built in randomizers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

eight equals equals equals equals dee tilde tilde :confused:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Todays a good day on the eshop if you like Megaman, or vehicle repair simulators.

Edit: oh wait what is this, a Master of Magic clone? Has anyone played "Worlds of Magic: Planar Conquest"?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 26, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Some things are way easier to convey clearly over text, and in large games it can be hard to get anything sent over voice when there's 30+ people already yelling over each other.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pro controllers have bad dpads, and 8bitdos are unreliable.

So what controller for switch actually does not suck? Will we ever find out? Wired perferred.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What's unreliable about an 8-bitdo? I've found the controller and buttons a bit "stiff" and not as comfortable as a traditional controller but the inputs seem fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Silver Snail posted:

While not specifically Nintendo focused, there's a bootleg Direct starting in an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCNzOPR8Ck

That was incredibly twee, I mean, yes that was clearly the point, but it still was even more than expected.

Skatebird won't be coming out till 2021, though maybe we knew that. Showed you collecting a S, not unlike Tony Hawk. But now there's another skateboarding animal in Ollie-oop, the skateboarding dog. Coming out the same year.

Little Witch in the Woods looked like the most interesting "gather resources, help this town" formula that was present in just about every few games. I don't know what the "but wait!" game was, and if it was meant to surprise the viewer in any particular way.

Still, thanks for the link. I don't really follow gaming news or publications, just this thread, so it's cool to see things like this when they're available and to stay informed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Weedle posted:

"Suck my dick"

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is the dreaded Joycon drift something that happens more or less all the time, or something like 1% of the time the character or camera will move unexpectedly for 2-3 seconds? I can't find very detailed explanations of it on other sites.
For the record things like my character suddenly spinning in place for 3 seconds happened a couple of times during multiplayer matches the other day in Splatoon 2 so not sure if it was a network issue like lag instead of Joycon drift.
Just paranoid since people talk about drift a lot but don't have first hand experience what it feels like.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can check if you're experiencing drift via the controller calibration menu in the OS. It should be pretty easy to spot. What actual undesired inputs you're experiencing will depend on the game. Some games have a smaller deadzone which can make the drift more apparent.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Item Getter posted:

Is the dreaded Joycon drift something that happens more or less all the time, or something like 1% of the time the character or camera will move unexpectedly for 2-3 seconds? I can't find very detailed explanations of it on other sites.
For the record things like my character suddenly spinning in place for 3 seconds happened a couple of times during multiplayer matches the other day in Splatoon 2 so not sure if it was a network issue like lag instead of Joycon drift.
Just paranoid since people talk about drift a lot but don't have first hand experience what it feels like.

Unless I'm experiencing a different problem, I think joycon drift is just when it can't correctly find the center. Like, for me, it's when I hold in a direction and let go, I will start creeping very slightly up when I let go. I've tried updating the controllers and going through the calibration menu, but that actually made the problem worse. I only got it back to tolerable by powering down and restarting the console. Pretty annoying that it's getting bad now, since the repair center is closed and right now joycons are $130 on Amazon. I should have checked if Walmart had any in stock today, but I forgot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Item Getter posted:

drift is simply the stick not returning properly to neutral. Like American McGay mentioned, you can see this in action in the calibration menu.

here's an example of extremely bad drift:

despite not touching the stick at all, the joycon is reporting that the stick is being held almost completely left

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my favorite controller for the switch is my ps3 dual shock, using a mayflash magic-ns converter. you can use it with controllers wired into it, or wireless once synced. i love it so much because you can use pmuch ANY usb controller with it, so it also works if you find yourself needing a fight stick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Item Getter posted:

That sounds less like joycon drift and more like wireless interference resulting in the last directional input just being repeated until the switch receives a signal otherwise.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The 360 keypad attachment was very similar to this and was loving awesome.

I kinda wish I could get something like the ChatPad for the Pro Controller, but I use a dock for it and it connects to the only port the controller has. It's a whole ordeal.

But yeah, I can't seemingly find anything *exactly* like what I want - which is definitely a first world problem. I wanna get something about the same size, length-wise, as a 60% keyboard, but those are all big and bad mechanical ones. I need something super cheap from China.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I had a problem with my Switch lite where for weeks the left stick would fail to register input directly to the left of right. So, say I am playing a game where the left stick controls character movement, and I am holding the stick all the way to the left to move my character left at a right angle to the camera. My character would start to move left, and then around one second later would stop dead. Obviously that was a really irritating problem, and I was planning to send my console in for repair once the repair centers reopened, but after about three weeks it just stopped happening and hasn't happened since. No idea what changed.

In conclusion, Nintendo makes lovely analog sticks.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ooblets looks super chill

Sayri looks like toki tori 3d

Toem looks like the first game to really take up the Pokemon snap mantle

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 26, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What is the best site for keeping track of game sales? I missed the Just Dance 2020 sale yesterday, and I'm curious if it'll go on sale again soon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
DekuDeals

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nice, I decided to play every single Mega Man game on Switch this summer and had only bought the first legacy collection so far.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No Megaman Legends or Battle Network collection, shameful.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mattavist posted:

Nice, I decided to play every single Mega Man game on Switch this summer and had only bought the first legacy collection so far.

Isn't it cool that you can?

I'm thrilled and shocked I can do PS era Final Fantasy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Weedle posted:

eight equals equals equals equals capital dee tilde tilde

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Leal posted:

"Suck my dick"

poetic license. i like it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Weedle posted:

And thaaaaaaat's a rocket ship aaaaaaaand POST.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
For those that talked about wanting to replay some great 3DS games awhile back:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1265374990616023041

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skate bird looks as exciting as Crayola Scooter games

Some very bad choices for giving a sense of wtf some games were in the time allotted

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Speaking of controllers and deals, got an email today that the 8bitdo pro controller is on sale for $40 right now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Tetramin posted:

Speaking of controllers and deals, got an email today that the 8bitdo pro controller is on sale for $40 right now.

Hey where

e: Oh I guess Amazon. But it’s not available until next Thursday.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Rutibex posted:

No Megaman Legends or Battle Network collection, shameful.

I meant REAL Mega Man games for REAL MEN

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So the 8bitdo pro controllers have gyro and everything right? Thinking of getting one for my gf.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

So the 8bitdo pro controllers have gyro and everything right? Thinking of getting one for my gf.

yep! only thing it doesn't have is HD rumble, nfc(for amiibo) and you can't wake up the switch with it.

other than that it's great. Highly recommend.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYEXNpX1QJE

Check out all the stuff you can do in May in animal crossing in this newly uploaded video on the Nintendo channel, including a Stamp Rally from May 18-31st

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's so weird that there was never a ds sequel to Mole Mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm watching a piano medley of Mass Effect music and now I want that trilogy on the switch

Give us all the sci fi trilogies you cowaaards