Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

AoA is my favorite comics alternate universe. Yeah, it was kind of grimdark but the alternate paths the characters took were all interesting and none of them felt really out of place for them. I should go back and reread all that.

AoA = Age of Apocalypse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Proteus Jones posted:

AoA = Age of Apocalypse?

Probably

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't they ruin that universe by trying to bring it back and killing like 3/4 of the cast and depowering the others.

Probably. I learned to never read sequels to AU stuff a long time ago.

And yeah, AOA= age of apocalypse.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't they ruin that universe by trying to bring it back and killing like 3/4 of the cast and depowering the others.

Well, it is X-men

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno, it's probably just a matter of personal taste, but "bad guys won" AUs are a dime a dozen and much prefer stuff like the cyberpunk nightmare of AOA or any number of Dooms "I won but I'm bored now" setups than the Mad Max pastiche stuff in the Old Man Logan setting, and that's before you get into inbred Hulks hillbillies

That's fair, but the one rebuttal I'd offer is that a whole bunch of other dystopias are dominated/ruled by one big villain, like Apocalypse. OML has no central villain; in the original story it's Red Skull but it's made clear that the world has been carved up into new countries/states by the bad guys and even within those areas a lot of minor villains have their own little fiefdoms. But to each their own, AOA is very cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

That's fair, but the one rebuttal I'd offer is that a whole bunch of other dystopias are dominated/ruled by one big villain, like Apocalypse. OML has no central villain; in the original story it's Red Skull but it's made clear that the world has been carved up into new countries/states by the bad guys and even within those areas a lot of minor villains have their own little fiefdoms. But to each their own, AOA is very cool.

AOA had that too if I’m remembering right. Didn’t each of the four horsemen have their own districts that they basically ran as they pleased, even if they ultimately answered to apocalypse?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AOA had that too if I’m remembering right. Didn’t each of the four horsemen have their own districts that they basically ran as they pleased, even if they ultimately answered to apocalypse?

Just looked it up and all of those horsemen helped A-pok rule North America. I mean, presumably they split it into quadrants.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

Just looked it up and all of those horsemen helped A-pok rule North America. I mean, presumably they split it into quadrants.

I could have sworn there was a mention somewhere in there of Holocaust running the northeastern part of North America.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look, if there's one thing comic people like to do it's make maps of their alternate realities:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
APOCALYPSE BUILT THE WALL AND MADE CANADA PAY FOR IT

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Look, if there's one thing comic people like to do it's make maps of their alternate realities:

I have to admit I do love this part of creating alternate realities and to be fair, Jonathan Hickman is really good at it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

AoA is my favorite comics alternate universe. Yeah, it was kind of grimdark but the alternate paths the characters took were all interesting and none of them felt really out of place for them. I should go back and reread all that.

One of the things I appreciated about AoA was that it was dystopian, but it wasn't completely doomed. Magneto's X-Men were winning small victories here and there, there were mentions that they'd taken down previous Horsemen, the human resistance in Europe was keeping Apocalypse at bay. It felt like a universe where things were going badly, but there was still some hope, and that made it have more impact. Stuff like Old Man Logan is a lot harder to take seriously because it's just 'everything that could go wrong does go wrong' and it feels cartoonishly over-the-top.

(I also have a lot of affection for it because one of my first comics was an AoA tie-in, part of a random bundle of issues I was given, so for a few years I just assumed X-Men was always a post-apocalyptic story...)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angry Salami posted:

One of the things I appreciated about AoA was that it was dystopian, but it wasn't completely doomed. Magneto's X-Men were winning small victories here and there, there were mentions that they'd taken down previous Horsemen, the human resistance in Europe was keeping Apocalypse at bay. It felt like a universe where things were going badly, but there was still some hope, and that made it have more impact. Stuff like Old Man Logan is a lot harder to take seriously because it's just 'everything that could go wrong does go wrong' and it feels cartoonishly over-the-top.

(I also have a lot of affection for it because one of my first comics was an AoA tie-in, part of a random bundle of issues I was given, so for a few years I just assumed X-Men was always a post-apocalyptic story...)

I also appreciated that a bunch of the villainous characters would find some of the more insane parts of Apocalypse’s rule and be like “fuuuuuck that, I’m out”. Even if they didn’t bail, having them be super uncomfortable with it made it feel less over the top than OML did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The best part of Acts of Vengeance was that every villain thought everyone in the group was a huge idiot rear end in a top hat with no morals or values, except for them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Angry Salami posted:

This why I can't behind Ruins, it's just too much and spins around to parody .

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurdiak posted:

The best part of Acts of Vengeance was that every villain thought everyone in the group was a huge idiot rear end in a top hat with no morals or values, except for them.

Wrong.

This is the best part of Acts of Vengeance.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best part was all these overpowered villains going after Spider-Man right around the time he got the UniPowers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

The best part was all these overpowered villains going after Spider-Man right around the time he got the UniPowers.

It all kicked off with him going against Graviton so he deserved a powered-up comeback. As it happens I just read that issue last week with a plan to go through the whole storyline. It's like fifty issues! Someday I'll get back to finishing the Eric Masterson Thor run. Someday.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Angry Salami posted:

While both AoA and OML are 'post-apocalyptic' stories, they do have very different moods, yeah. AoA is a story where the forces of good are losing but there's still a chance they could pull off a win, but OML is a story where the forces of good already lost. They might be in the same post-apocalyptic genre, but they're telling very different stories within that genre.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is it really a post apocalypse if the guy literally named Apocalypse is still alive, and also the rest of the world is fine and it's just America

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Is it really a post apocalypse if the guy literally named Apocalypse is still alive, and also the rest of the world is fine and it's just America

The rest of the world isn't fine. They are dealing with conquest attempts from Apocalypse and other poo poo. Japan was apparently entirely obliterated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Early Adopter Post Apocalypse

Pre-Post Apocalypse

Fauxst Apocalypse

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Peri-apocalypse, don't you people watch forensic procedurals

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
This is from Avengers #33 out this week if you don't want spoilers. Moon Knight has to beat up the Avengers to save the world or something similar. He starts with Iron Fist.

Thought it was a clever way to use the Fight Text thing Aaron has been doing.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 26, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should get chumped.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's not just Aaron's been doing that; it goes back to Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist.

Read Immortal Iron Fist.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

It's not just Aaron's been doing that; it goes back to Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist.

Read Immortal Iron Fist.

That's a hearty gently caress yes, read Fraction's run. I see people gush over his time doing Hawkeye, but honestly I like his Iron Fist books better (but Hawkeye is also good and you should read it).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey remember when I said you should read Chainsaw Man?

Spoilers from latest chapter:
Cosmo has thus far been played as an oddity. A ghoulish character with her brain hanging out that can only say "Halloween".
They are currently fighting Santa Claus, the monstrosity of dolls from my previous post. Functionaally immortal and can just swaap their consciousness to one of thousand bodies around the world if they're ever killed.

Those pages are loving gorgeous on top of everything else.
:allears:

(You should really really read Chainsaw Man)

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
drat. It's like a smaller version of the Total Perspective Vortex.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

goatface posted:

He should get chumped.

yeah

should have been funnier to go meta

"The Invincible Pen" "The Narrative of Moon Knight" "The Hero's Invulnerability"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Somberbrero posted:

This is from Avengers #33 out this week if you don't want spoilers. Moon Knight has to beat up the Avengers to save the world or something similar. He starts with Iron Fist.

Thought it was a clever way to use the Fight Text thing Aaron has been doing.

Haven't they already done character X has to beat up the Avengers to save the world in Captain Marvel already? Dammit Aaron, don't copy off Thompson's work! :colbert:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Haven't they already done character X has to beat up the Avengers to save the world in Captain Marvel already? Dammit Aaron, don't copy off Thompson's work! :colbert:

It definitely feels a little weird following DIRECTLY on the heels of that.

PS mjolnir is made from 'moon metal' so moon knight controls it to kick Thor's rear end. On the moon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Wrong.

This is the best part of Acts of Vengeance.

I can't remember, how does Skull escape?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't remember, how does Skull escape?

Crossbones finds him, I think (don't remember how).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think a combination of that and starvation making him so thin that he could fit through the bars on one of the walls of the room? I could be conflating it with something else though. Probably am.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think a combination of that and starvation making him so thin that he could fit through the bars on one of the walls of the room? I could be conflating it with something else though. Probably am.

Basically he's dropped in the bunker at the end of Captain America #367, #368 is about Crossbones and Machinesmith going on a spree to find him, #369 has a weird backup story about Red Skull starving to death and hallucinating, and then in #370 Crossbones and the rest of his goons dig up the trap door and rescue him.

It's all over and done with in a few months but it's a nicely paced little thread, which continues a little bit with Red Skull being depressed and traumatized by being confronted with his sins and just lying around wishing for death. It resolves when the bad guys bring Captain America to the Red Skull's deathbed, which spruces him right up. Cap then just turns around and leaves instead of doing anything about it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Here's some pages I liked from Frieren of the Funeral. Frieren, an immortal elf, joined a ragtag team of unlikely heroes and together, they overcome impossible odds and saved the world!

That was eighty years ago. They're all dust now.

Successive generations have forgotten their battles entirely. Frieren and her human apprentice, Fern, are cleaning up loose ends of the war. One of these magical landmines is an unstoppably powerful demon named Qual that her party was unable to defeat at the height of their power. His seal is about to break, and he will be unleashed again on a helpless human population.

Read right-to-left as usual.

Frieren is starting to realize that immortals need to be terrified of humans.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

How Wonderful! posted:

Basically he's dropped in the bunker at the end of Captain America #367, #368 is about Crossbones and Machinesmith going on a spree to find him, #369 has a weird backup story about Red Skull starving to death and hallucinating, and then in #370 Crossbones and the rest of his goons dig up the trap door and rescue him.

It's all over and done with in a few months but it's a nicely paced little thread, which continues a little bit with Red Skull being depressed and traumatized by being confronted with his sins and just lying around wishing for death. It resolves when the bad guys bring Captain America to the Red Skull's deathbed, which spruces him right up. Cap then just turns around and leaves instead of doing anything about it.

And the only way Crossbones was able to find the Skull in the first place was by kidnapping a psychic and forcing him to scry the Skull's location.

(Psychic had long enough range that he was able to tell that Crossbones was coming, but not long enough that he was able to get away.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah as others said, Crossbones and the Skeleton crew kidnap a psychic to locate the Red Skull. (And send a robot of Magneto on a destruction spree in Washington as a distraction.)
When they do get Skull back they take him to the Skulls haunted house and show him his weapons of mass destruction to try and cheer him up.
In the end Cap and Diamondback leave the house without arresting Skull because of a hypnosis machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I’m really enjoying Jason Aaron’s stories from Marvel prehistory. Including the first Starbrand, who was a Kree-fighting T Rex.

Avengers (2018) #28