Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

One gently caress of a giant vacuum leak?

In this scenario, with the butterflies closed, how is it getting enough fuel? Surely not enough for full rev would be flowing with them down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

taqueso posted:

Leaving them on the car seems really common, but I took mine out (it's easy to do on my car so why not?)

Recommended grit seems to be anything from 400 to 6000, what did you wind up using?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

In this scenario, with the butterflies closed, how is it getting enough fuel? Surely not enough for full rev would be flowing with them down?

It doesn't take much fuel to hit redline at no load.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I need to restore my headlights as they're pushing the limit of legal here. Am I going to be safe using a random orbital sander while they're still on the car, masked off, or do I need to fully remove them? I've looked at the removal procedure and it's a pain in the rear end.

The headlights look like this (not my car, but same era):

I've done it on two vehicles leaving them in. Use multiple layers of masking tape and check it regularly, it is really easy to burn through.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've done it on two vehicles leaving them in. Use multiple layers of masking tape and check it regularly, it is really easy to burn through.

This was my worry. Since spelling it out here I've decided it's too much trouble right now, so I'll probably just give them a really solid clean and leave it at that for a while. I was going to just give in and take it to my local place but they're all shut down, and MOTs have been extended 6 months anyway, so I have until 2021 to get it sorted.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Recommended grit seems to be anything from 400 to 6000, what did you wind up using?

I'm actually just getting ready to spray clearcoat over 600 grit today. There was some discussion in the detailing thread*. As I understand it, 4-600 grit is great for paint to stick to and it will fill in the sanding marks. If you don't want to clearcoat, then I would go all the way to a plastic polish.

*https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&pagenumber=94#post505031037

e: thinking about it more, I'd be worried about getting overspray somewhere bad if they were still on the car when doing a clearcoat; mask things super good

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

taqueso posted:

I'm actually just getting ready to spray clearcoat over 600 grit today. There was some discussion in the detailing thread*. As I understand it, 4-600 grit is great for paint to stick to and it will fill in the sanding marks. If you don't want to clearcoat, then I would go all the way to a plastic polish.

*https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&pagenumber=94#post505031037

e: thinking about it more, I'd be worried about getting overspray somewhere bad if they were still on the car when doing a clearcoat; mask things super good

My assumption was it's just a sand and polish operation, surely they don't clear coat the headlights?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W83P9VjQ7E&t=577s

Anybody try it with brake fluid like this? 😬
3m sells a kit here in the States, and it comes with wax protectant.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Kit

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

My assumption was it's just a sand and polish operation, surely they don't clear coat the headlights?

It depends, you can absolutely do it without clear coating. Clearcoating provides a uv protection layer to reduce future oxidation and yellowing. Some car headlights are clearcoated from the factory, I have no idea if it is all of them though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Huh. TIL

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W83P9VjQ7E&t=577s

Anybody try it with brake fluid like this?

Nope but I might have if i'd seen this a week ago.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hmm. The car could do with a proper clean and polish, maybe I'll mask off the lights enough to chuck a similar solvent on and then buff them along with the rest of the car. I've got a buffing pad for the ROS so that would remove (or reduce) the risk of burning through the paintwork.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
You can also sometimes tape on some cardboard tucked into the gap between the headlight/bodywork depending on the car if you are worried about burning through a tape-only mask.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Autoexec.bat posted:

You can also sometimes tape on some cardboard tucked into the gap between the headlight/bodywork depending on the car if you are worried about burning through a tape-only mask.

:hmmyes:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah don't kill your paint please.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh hey topical, this just dropped on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDB5U4QUdD0

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I used a 3M drill powered kit a few years back and it did a great job. Still have the gallery on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/U4ZTn. It still looks good although I could've done more with the finer grits to get rid of some of the scratches from the heavier grit. The only bad part was the polishing compound flying all over the place. If I had expected it I'd have used some newspaper to mask the area just to catch it. I used this sealer afterwards but I've only reapplied it a couple of times so I'm not sure I'm using it right:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051PJWQW/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Jaded Burnout posted:

This was my worry. Since spelling it out here I've decided it's too much trouble right now, so I'll probably just give them a really solid clean and leave it at that for a while. I was going to just give in and take it to my local place but they're all shut down, and MOTs have been extended 6 months anyway, so I have until 2021 to get it sorted.

I squeaked mine through with toothpaste and a rag and lots of elbow grease, if you're really up against it

I'm sure cutting / polishing compound would be easier than Colgate

Also if you have a Dremmel or similar that'd do it, with the right head (ie the polisher not the router) would be precise and save your elbow

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Charles posted:

I'll vouch for the Sylvania kit. I used it on my Mustang a while back and they came out great. Yeah, it's a little work with the hand sanding, but that UV goop at the end really makes the kit. Would recommend.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Is it possible to replace old and chipped door window trim with some particular kind of weather stripping from a hardware store? I don't really want to spend $90 for two pieces that are going on a beater.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll vouch for the Sylvania kit. I used it on my Mustang a while back and they came out great. Yeah, it's a little work with the hand sanding, but that UV goop at the end really makes the kit. Would recommend.

I really like the Sylvania kit as well, I've used it on every car that's passed through my hands. I just picked up a 3M kit with the drill adapter for the first time because I had some credit that was about to expire at Oreilly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Charles posted:

The 3M kit in there is what I used on both my WJ and my CR-V immediately before selling.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How long/much elbow grease is there with the Sylvania?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's hand sanding so it's a bit of effort. I pulled the lights out of the Mustang when I did it because they are piss-easy to remove. I just sat down with a bucket of water on the ground and the light on my lap so it was pretty mindless. I took my time with it so it took me maybe an hour and a half or so for both lights. It's not hard work, but you need to use enough pressure on the paper to get through the oxidation and remove scratches. I feel like it would be a bit of a pain with the lights still in the car, but if you tape everything off well and set yourself up in a comfortable work position, I don't think it'd be too bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Very little. I'll n-th the Sylvania recommendation.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Brake fluid leaking from the banjo bolt. Conventional wisdom says leaking brake fluid is the caliper, but could it be the brake hose in this case?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Minto Took posted:

Brake fluid leaking from the banjo bolt. Conventional wisdom says leaking brake fluid is the caliper, but could it be the brake hose in this case?

Sure.

Does that clear things up?

Oh, that only applies to blue cars.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Motronic posted:

Sure.

Does that clear things up?

Oh, that only applies to blue cars.

:|

Ok, fine. I'm sorry.

Right front caliper and brake hose(both probably original), 74k mi on the clock, pad wear is normal, but long brake pedal travel. Caliper piston boot looks good. Brake fluid at the banjo bolt and on the rubber coming from the banjo bolt--almost like whoever did the last brake job let the calipers hang by the brake hoses.

I'm fairly certain that the hose is bad, but I was hoping for other opinions since the rudimentary Internet searching I did pointed to visible brake fluid always being a bad caliper.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Or the banjo bolt isn't tightened. Or the o ring on it is bad.

Like with anything else, clean it all and make it leak again to see where it's coming from.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ask your SO/friend/neighbor or whatever to step on the brake pedal. You'll find real quick.

Good thing is soft lines are sort of easy to do.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
If I try to use a multimeter to find a current leak in a diesel with two batteries, can I just measure using one pair of cables?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If they are in series, yes. If they are in parallel, no.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is there a benefit to having the dealer install a hitch, other than they in theory are more familiar with the car than a third party?

I have a 2020 Forester and need a hitch. Subaru wants $340 for it + $280 for the install. I found a local place that'll do the hitch + install for $270. I'm fine paying the premium at the dealer, but wondering if I'd be better off saving ~$300 and going elsewhere. I'm in Brooklyn for what it's worth.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

yoohoo posted:

Is there a benefit to having the dealer install a hitch, other than they in theory are more familiar with the car than a third party?

I have a 2020 Forester and need a hitch. Subaru wants $340 for it + $280 for the install. I found a local place that'll do the hitch + install for $270. I'm fine paying the premium at the dealer, but wondering if I'd be better off saving ~$300 and going elsewhere. I'm in Brooklyn for what it's worth.

What are you using the hitch for? What class? The install looks pretty easy to DIY.

Failing that, I would do the $270. If they do hitch installs they’re probably more familiar with the install process.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I installed the highest rated hitch I could find last week. Unless they need to drill into the frame there are no special skills involved.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What are you using the hitch for? What class? The install looks pretty easy to DIY.

Failing that, I would do the $270. If they do hitch installs they’re probably more familiar with the install process.

Mostly to carry a bike rack but will need to be able to tow a uhaul trailer from time to time. I don't have the space I'd want to do it myself, I'm fine spending the money to have it installed. But it sounds like there's no real benefit to having the dealer install it.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

One gently caress of a giant vacuum leak?

meatpimp posted:

That was my thought. Air has to come in somewhere, and if the butterflies are shut, welp.

Well, the balance bar itself has a big intake on it, so I am not really sure how much a "leak" would play into this. Then again, I am stupid.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tai-Pan posted:

Well, the balance bar itself has a big intake on it, so I am not really sure how much a "leak" would play into this. Then again, I am stupid.

So this comment is a big wtf for me, what do you mean? Is there an unmetered hole in your intake somewhere because yes that is a problem. And one you could cover and see an instant change.

Also earlier you said the butterflies "seem closed when not running" is there a way to see them while it is running? Like air cleaner off and maybe a mirror or something I'd the access is weird?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have no idea how TPMS works, and have never had a car with TPMS and multiple sets of wheels. Is there any possibility of interference? I got a car used with winter tires and wheels on it in January and it started throwing TPMS warnings this winter every once in a while; I just swapped the wheels over last weekend and driving it everything seemed to be fine until the moment I pulled into the garage, when I got a warning again. The extra set of wheels is naturally in the garage right next to where the car is parked. Is there any possibility of this being an issue, or is something else likely going on?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Bought an electric car. One day a couple years ago it decided not to charge when plugged into any charger.

Brought it to the dealer and they're like: "yeah that's weird, it's not charging on ours either. OK, we did a systems reset with our specialized computer and now it charges, we'll let you know when we figure out why it happened in the first place."

Few years go by, they never find a cause, and my car does it again. Bring it back to dealer "Sorry, it's out of warranty now, it'll be $200 to look at it."

That doesn't sound fair if they never solved the issue in the first place back when it was in warranty? I guess I'm in a bold new "internet of poo poo" future where my car will brick itself unless I have a proprietary tool to turn it off and back on again? Can I press the issue with them? I have it on paper that they were supposed to find a cause/fix for the issue and never did, so in my opinion my warranty "ticket" was never really closed. Would Small Claims court do the trick if they're stubborn?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Steve French posted:

I have no idea how TPMS works, and have never had a car with TPMS and multiple sets of wheels. Is there any possibility of interference? I got a car used with winter tires and wheels on it in January and it started throwing TPMS warnings this winter every once in a while; I just swapped the wheels over last weekend and driving it everything seemed to be fine until the moment I pulled into the garage, when I got a warning again. The extra set of wheels is naturally in the garage right next to where the car is parked. Is there any possibility of this being an issue, or is something else likely going on?

There are some cars that use wireless sensors. What kind of car is it though, please.