Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

I've seen CHVRCHES live four times nad every time has been slightly worse than the time previous, and it isn't the band its the crowds. I don't know what happened at album three but it seemed like they got a lot of new fans who didn't listen to anything but that album and thus are absolutely dead for all the stuff before that. Likewise the venues got progressively bigger but the atmosphere got worse.

Yeah, and I've liked each subsequent album a bit less. The pinnacle for me was seeing them in 2014 at the 9:30 Club where they played pretty much everything off of The Bones of What You Believe (which is still a monster of an album) and a couple of B-sides. Still loyal, but hoping they can recover (get it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This was the first time i saw them

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/chvrches/2014/the-metro-theatre-sydney-australia-3c535cf.html

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Lid posted:

I've seen CHVRCHES live four times nad every time has been slightly worse than the time previous, and it isn't the band its the crowds. I don't know what happened at album three but it seemed like they got a lot of new fans who didn't listen to anything but that album and thus are absolutely dead for all the stuff before that. Likewise the venues got progressively bigger but the atmosphere got worse.

The first time I saw them was kinda cute, they played Fader Fort at SXSW and didn't have enough music to fill a 45 min set. Most recently saw them at ACL festival and the crowd was basically :tootzzz:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I relistened to all 3 of their records last week and my hot take is that Every Open Eye is easily their weakest album and that The Bones of What You Believe is only slightly better than Love Is Dead, Tether might be their best song.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everyone seems to prefer the first album but Every Open Eye is my favorite. I don't think lyricism is exactly Chuvurches' strongpoint and EOE has the most outright bangers for treadmill purposes.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Lid posted:

Seen them 9 times, and their stage presence has gotten way better over time, Lauren particularly. She used to be so shy on stage.

And yeah the crowds and venues have gotten bigger and worse, but they still put on a great show and sound great. Clearest Blue is still one of the best live songs you'll ever see.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Jeff Rosenstock surprise released an album today.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think lyricism is exactly Chuvurches' strongpoint and EOE has the most outright bangers for treadmill purposes.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. EOE all the way

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I agree with EOE and Clearest Blue live.

I've been meaning to check out the new Rosenstock but I've been steady listening to the new Charli XCX all day.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Weird, every time I've seen songs of live Chvrches they look like they don't do it too well live, I guess you have to be there.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Some new IDLES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNCopmqsw1Q

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Sylvan Esso just did a new tiny desk concert from home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJ9ynWJY78

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Sylvan Esso just did a new tiny desk concert from home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJ9ynWJY78

Did we post about their great LIVE album yet?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Apparently Lana del Rey went off her rocker today

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Carly Rae Jepsen also "surprise" released an album of b-sides.

I put surprise in quotes, because I think this was rumoured.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Lid posted:

Apparently Lana del Rey went off her rocker today

She just wants the world to know how much she is into being a sub.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Let Lana Be Lana

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think there's a good point buried in there somewhere about how there's more than one way to be a strong woman (not always this "yaaaas slay queen" thing) and people should respect that, but Lana can't help stirring the pot I guess.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
i mean, she's right

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What a fun song. Thank you for posting it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I’m not not a feminist – but there has to be a place in feminism for women who look and act like me – the kind of woman who says no but men hear yes – the kind of women who are slated mercilessly for being their authentic, delicate selves, the kind of women who get their own stories and voices taken away from them by stronger women or by men who hate women.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lana has absolutely been on the bad end of some really lovely criticism (especially when she first came onto the scene) and as someone who loves Ultraviolence and doesn't think that it "glorifies" abuse at all, I understand what she's saying and agree with some of it. The stuff about her being a woman who is inherently drawn to abuse is kinda weird though.

On the other hand she absolutely could not have made a more tone-deaf loving statement. I believe that she didn't pick out exclusively WOC on purpose but the fact that she wasn't self-aware enough to say "hey almost all of these women are black, I wonder if there's something to that" or even to think about what sorts of criticisms have been leveled at those women (putting Beyonce there was just loving stupid) is very emblematic of how much thought Lana puts into thinking about the things she says (very little).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Did we post about their great LIVE album yet?

Yes, WITH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yndd8lD8oM

I like it a lot, but I hope they don't move away from doing new stuff with their two-person setup. One of my favorite things about Sylvan Esso is the very clever minimalist arrangements they come up with, and that's absent in the big band versions for obvious reasons. Still awesome for what it is, though, and I really wish I could have seen it live at some point!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I gotta say, the new 1975 album has a little bit for everyone, even the people who can't stand Matty Healy.

If You're Too Shy is still the best song off of it, though Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America comes awful close thanks to Phoebe Bridgers (who also does backing vocals for a couple other tracks)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lana’s statement would be fine if not for that first paragraph. oof.

Excited to listen to The 1975. Hope it isn’t like the last one where I loved every song they released beforehand and was entirely meh on the rest once it came out. The former part has definitely been true so far, anyway.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
New San Cisco is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlubk5RYCAc

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Yes, WITH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yndd8lD8oM

I like it a lot, but I hope they don't move away from doing new stuff with their two-person setup. One of my favorite things about Sylvan Esso is the very clever minimalist arrangements they come up with, and that's absent in the big band versions for obvious reasons. Still awesome for what it is, though, and I really wish I could have seen it live at some point!

Live at Walt Disney Concert Hall is a top 10 show for me. (No orchestra....yet) Once in a lifetime gig for them. Hearing Come Down bounce around the hall was a hell of a feeling.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
toooo much autotune on the new 1975 album

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

DC Murderverse posted:

I gotta say, the new 1975 album has a little bit for everyone, even the people who can't stand Matty Healy.

If You're Too Shy is still the best song off of it, though Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America comes awful close thanks to Phoebe Bridgers (who also does backing vocals for a couple other tracks)

i am admittedly a complete the 1975 apologist but i've listened to this album 5 times today and Jesus Christ... into Roadkill into Me & You Together Song is maybe my favorite stretch of songs on any of their albums. It's definitely long but just as the tracklist hits a bit of a lull, boom Too Shy. Completely loving it. I was skeptical of Guys as the closer but man it fits so well after Don't Worry.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
for all the fun experimentation and stuff on the 1975 album jesus christ... might still be my favourite. it’s gorgeous.

overall I like the album probably more than the others but it is too long and some of it is like just save it for a solo album George drat. Of the tracks I hadn’t heard before I really like Roadkill and Nothing Revealed/Everything denied, off the top of my head

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

my new favorite stereolab song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dZCWTiDrw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sleigh Bells' Treats turns 10 years old today :eyepop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGtB6K8q8k

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Sleigh Bells always came across to me as NPR: The Band in the worst way possible.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
To each their own, but I don't even know where you would've gotten this. NPR:The Band (especially around this time) would have been Animal Collective or Dirty Projectors, or more likely the third album by Fela Kuti's former kalimba player.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

It sounds like an Apple ad.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
They went from being like THE pitchfork buzz band to generic indie bro-core very quickly.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It sounds like an Apple ad.
Are you referring to the 2013 Apple ad that was literally a Sleigh Bells song? https://youtu.be/VYdvhEBFub0

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

no but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Modern Leper posted:

To each their own, but I don't even know where you would've gotten this. NPR:The Band (especially around this time) would have been Animal Collective or Dirty Projectors, or more likely the third album by Fela Kuti's former kalimba player.

Not even those... it's literally The Arcade Fire or Vampire Weekend. Thinking noise pop is the "NPR" of indie is laughable.

The funniest indie ad ever is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mvm6KfJDE0