Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advantageous
Apr 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone had to rebuild those cities in Japan.

You could say we stimulated local Japanese economies in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bombing with a construction boom.

I.e. The Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg Theory of Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krcNIWPkNzA

Advantageous fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MA-Horus posted:

Well loving obviously it was, I don't think you'll find anyone who'd call World War Goddamn Two a net positive for society unless you're a freak like Clausowitz or Hans Delbruck who think that peace is a net negative for mankind

Those people aren't a minority in America

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Well loving obviously it was, I don't think you'll find anyone who'd call World War Goddamn Two a net positive for society unless you're a freak like Clausowitz or Hans Delbruck who think that peace is a net negative for mankind

cough cough Dick Cheney cough.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That's not how that chart works, in DoD procurement Lockmart et al are the business and they return goods (bombs) to the "individual" (US government)

You're using a B2C model chart to try to explain a B2B model

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

This has been the case since science became A Thing, and it was the Christian Church doing the investing.

So when did science become A Thing?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
people sucking on the teat of the DoD desperately trying to justify their continued employment itt

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CommieGIR posted:

cough cough Dick Cheney cough.

Dick Cheney thought war was a net positive for Dick Cheney and gave zero shits about humankind as a whole.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dick Cheney thought war was a net positive for Dick Cheney and gave zero shits about humankind as a whole.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if he feels it benefits humanity as a whole as well.

A lot of the people that benefit from US military escapades are doing it for selfish reasons, yes, but its not difficult to believe they feel this benefits the country as a whole as well.

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love to rationalize bloodshed by claiming that it's progress in the name of science!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm the marginal benefit of producing one more F-35 rather than supporting social programs

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm the marginal benefit of producing one more F-35 rather than supporting social programs

It is easier to believe in that when you see F-35s. When it is a real hunk of metal 5 maintainers are tightening screws on. It is easier to believe this when a social program isn't 'for you' because of byzintine form processing that is far less user friendly than CAMS. gently caress I believed it back when I was in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

If we dump more money in, it'll become useful!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I was just musing about this the other day in the spaceflight thread:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Every now and then I like to fantasize what it would be like if the budgets for NASA and the DOD were swapped.

NASA would be debating whether it's worth expanding our third manned station on the far side of the moon. And the Navy would be excitedly announcing a proposal for a ship large enough to land airplanes on it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Personally, I'd argue that the question of "Should we have robust social services" and "Should we have a gigantic bloated military" aren't mutually exclusive. The United States is an immensely rich and powerful country, and we can absolutely afford to implement a much more vast and comprehensive safety net on top of our existing defense expenditures—especially given that many social programs (Such as food stamps) ultimately generate more revenue than they expend. The challenge there is convincing enough people that protecting, educating, and raising up their fellow citizens isn't a burden, but an opportunity.

With regard to defense spending, the question there that needs to be asked is: What are we trying to do, and what are the long-term and short-term costs of doing so? If we want the US to maintain a global posture with the ability to strike anywhere at nearly any time, with force projection abilities unrivaled by any other country in history, then that's going to be extremely loving expensive and instead of considering arbitrary cuts, we should instead weigh the costs and benefits of doing so, or otherwise consider targeted cuts or reforms to shave the budget without degrading the capabilities that we want the military to have.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I want a milirary w a bunch of blackbirds warthogs and Raptors is that so much to ask

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was just musing about this the other day in the spaceflight thread:

Well, now we have the Space Force, so...

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

GoGoGadget posted:

Gotta funnel money to our contractor buddies somehow.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm not saying Steve Carell was a bad choice, I just wish they had let Rob Riggle audition first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Necessity is the motherhood of invention. What company is going to invest stupid amounts of money into a satellite chain?

You have two options: DOD or Musk. Nobody else is crazy enough to throw that money in the blender to see what comes out the other side. Nobody wants to invest in science, they want to adapt the results. This has been the case since science became A Thing, and it was the Christian Church doing the investing.

I'm a page back, but I wanted to reply to this specifically. Musk isn't funding his satellite mesh network. He was trying to get the feds to fund it under a rural broadband provision, but the government said "yeah your latency estimates are complete poo poo" and denied it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He cares for humanity, he just doesn’t believe there are any humans other than Dick Cheney.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Personally, I'd argue that the question of "Should we have robust social services" and "Should we have a gigantic bloated military" aren't mutually exclusive. The United States is an immensely rich and powerful country, and we can absolutely afford to implement a much more vast and comprehensive safety net on top of our existing defense expenditures

Ding ding ding. Our euro welfare states were built during the cold war when our defense spending as a percentage of gdp was comparable to current US spending percentages.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm a page back, but I wanted to reply to this specifically. Musk isn't funding his satellite mesh network. He was trying to get the feds to fund it under a rural broadband provision, but the government said "yeah your latency estimates are complete poo poo" and denied it.

What's up with those satellites they put up that were too reflective and were ruining the sky for astronomers?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I thought the military is America's social welfare system.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

If we dump more money in, it'll become useful!

Sunk costs that fly

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Midjack posted:

He cares for humanity, he just doesn’t believe there are any humans other than Dick Cheney.

Not true. It's just that the other humans are his mobile heart supply source.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

The ultimate power move is having someone apologize for you shooting them in the face.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

stealie72 posted:

It's basically our only extant federal jobs program.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Apathetic Medic posted:

Love to rationalize bloodshed by claiming that it's progress in the name of science!

None of this is what the original question was, which was, "Is there a statistic on how much money spent by the DoD is waste?" The answers were, "Here's a source, but it's incomplete because that's a complex question.", "All of it's going to include some waste because the practice of building armaments is inherently wasteful since you're building an object not just to be destroyed."* The became "A lot of good things happen as a result of our bad things." Which evolved into, "Look at these murder junkies." Because, you know, the internet.

Part of why waste continues is that you can't talk about it. And I say you can't talk about it, it's not only because people in black vans** might shut you up if you get too specific, but also because conversations on the subject quickly become visceral.

* To me, this is an interesting challenge of society that we avoid asking ourselves--how does that compare to other goods/services not made to facilitate production or survival. E.g. toys, music, literature, video games, internet comedy, massages, fine dining, theatre, homes larger than the minimum square footage required to sustain life, candy, liquor, amenities, lawns, poetry, speech therapy, posters, liberal arts educations, personal lubricant, twitch streams, food delivery, decorative plants, spices, packaging, food for pets, goods for pets, pets, creatine, dead internet comedy forums, fans only accounts, board games, recreational drugs, and paint-used-for-non-preservation purposes? A lot of those improve society (many of them may harm it), some provide little or nothing of direct value. But I suspect the most conversation that will come from that will accusations of equating cluster munitions and baby toys.

**not skateboarders

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1265363492464406528?s=20

This is not likely about justice, they may be trying to avoid a federal civil rights investigation as the move they executed was prohibited by a 1995 Federal guideline.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

Mods?! MODS?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

piL posted:

None of this is what the original question was, which was, "Is there a statistic on how much money spent by the DoD is waste?"

They could have just asked what the Marines budget is.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

piL posted:

This is probably the best and the closest, but it's probably very conservative. You'd have to select which data and correct annually.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That Works posted:

It's part of the navys budget. So really its navy waste.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'd trade UHC for the marines

Heh, who am I kidding I'd trade a ham sandwich and a milkshake for the marines.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want a milirary w a bunch of blackbirds warthogs and Raptors is that so much to ask

See you say that, and what you'll get is someone thinking: "we can combine all these capabilities into one platform and save money!" And then there's no stopping the procurement juggernaut.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's basically our only extant federal jobs program.

Imagine a federal job with all the perks of the military, but without the threat to life and limb and having to be willing to kill people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Madurai posted:

See you say that, and what you'll get is someone thinking: "we can combine all these capabilities into one platform and save money!" And then there's no stopping the procurement juggernaut.

I'll punch them in the loving jaw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

not caring here posted:

I'd trade UHC for the marines

Heh, who am I kidding I'd trade a ham sandwich and a milkshake for the marines.

Boo, should have asked for a hot dog and a soft drink

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In Annie Jacobson's book, 'Surprise, Kill, Vanish', she said that elements of the Bush admin- Cheney in particular, but she also named Rumsfeld- were trying to get into Forever Wars within 9 days of 9/11.
Within 9 days, Cheney ordered the CIA to find reasons to 'go to war' with Iraq, Iran, and Syria- in addition to AFG.

loving monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/chr1sa/s...ingawful.com%2F