Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Inspired by draft threads on other forums I frequent, the comic fantasy thread is supposed to be a fun framing exercise for folk to talk about comic creators and work they love. Over the course of a month or two, participants will draft comic creators from all eras of comics history and build their dream comic company.

For some examples of what I'm talking about, please see the following threads:

Ultimate board goon draft
MLB All Time Draft
SAS Fantasy Draft 2020: The All-Timer

How will the draft work?

When you sign up, you will choose a comics imprint to run. Pick some well known company or imprint (Marvel, DC, Vertigo, EC Comics, Fantagraphics...) or make up your own.

Once we have the right number of participants (will have to gauge participation before we decide on the number), we'll start drafting creators, with specifics in the FAQ below. The draft will use a snake format, so round 1: 12345> round 2: 54321, round 3: 12345, etc.

What's the draft timing?

The draft timer only runs from 11:00 AM EDT to 11:00 PM EDT. Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you.

How long will this take?

According to the GCD, there's something like 30,000 comics creators out there. Obviously most of them aren't going to be interesting, but I can think of all kinds of golden age or indie creators who I want to talk about who will likely be new to others. With that in mind, I think we can justify making this about the same length as what we're doing in the sports drafts - 20 picks deep, ideally with ~15 participants. Based on previous experience this will take about 4-6 weeks to finish.

What do I need to include with my pick?

Name of creator, role they'd play in your company, and the "era" of their work that you want to use.

Name is obvious.

For the role, try to stick to things that the creator has actually done. You don't need to be too restrictive. If you have someone who rules as a letterer and a writer and a colorist, and you want them to do all three things, then go for it. If you want your EIC to do double duty on a particular book you think she'd love, go for it. If you want to take someone who does everything and have them do just one thing, that's fine too. Kirby, letterer. It's not for me, but pick whatever you think would be interesting.

"Era" is an interesting one. For some folks, like a golden age artist with very limited output, era may not be relevant. But for others, like Kirby, you may want to be specific. You don't just want Kirby, you want that magical crazy 70s Kirby to do more than just bang out pencils, but also to do the writing. You don't just want Stan, you very specifically want Marvel monster book era Stan.

Other than that, be as expansive as you'd like with your post. For me, the most fun part of these drafts is learning new stuff about a subject I love. So please don't just say "Kirby, 1970-1973" and be done with it. Instead, show us what you like of Kirby and why you think his 70s era work is the best choice for your new company.

How should I set up my company? How many of each type of creative role do I need?

That's entirely up to you. Maybe it's a big 2 model company with a traditional EIC > Editor > Writer / Penciller Inker / Colorist / Letterer structure. Or maybe it's a Fantagraphics type thing where it's an EIC and then a bunch of writer/artist cartoonists. Or an original Image model where it's writers and artists, and editors in name only. Pick what you think would be cool.

Can I draft person some specific person?

You can draft anyone you want, but they need at least one published comic credit to their name, and you're drafting them for their comics cred, or at least a reasonable extrapolation of what they could have done in comics. For example - while he might make for an interesting writer I don't think Aaron Sorkin has ever done work in comics, so he's out. But you could pick someone like John Cleese, who has actually done comics in the style of his Monty Python work, so we've actually got something to judge him on.

Can I draft a creator already drafted by someone else?

No. Once someone has been drafted, they're not available to select. That's true regardless of what role a creator was chosen for. So if someone takes Stan Lee as their editor in chief, you can't take him as a writer.

Can I run a really stupid gimmick?

Hell yeah, gimmicks make this very fun. Sometimes in the sports drafts people do nationality gimmicks or alphabets or acrostics or whatever. You also don't need to tell other people what you're doing. It can be fun to figure out why someone is making bizarre picks, and it can be fun for the person picking to have to look for weird selections as we get deeper in the draft.

Do I have to run a really stupid gimmick?

Nope! Sometimes the most fun thing is picking people you like the most and just building something you'd think would be cohesive and sensible.

Can I post about the comics my cool company would be making?

Yes! That would be a very cool thing to do. Tell me about the Spawn ripoff you would have 80s era Kirby write over Fletcher Hanks pencils.

How do I win?

This isn't really about winning, this is about a framework for a cool conversation. Buuuuut that being said, I'll still pick a winner, based on who has the coolest mix of creators and more importantly who made good posts about why they made the picks they made.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reserved for the draft order and a link to the google sheet where we'll make our picks.

I'm obviously in, but will wait until we get a good number of participants to pick my company.

Order is in:

1. Napoleon Nelson. Avatar Press
2. Bingo Bango. Marvel
3. Madkal. Vertigo
4. Vargo. Archie Comics
5. Jordan7hm. Image
6. Skwirl. Endless Mike. Brand Echh Comics
7. How Wonderful!. Fantagraphics
8. Roth. Detective Comics
9. lifg. Humanoids

Make picks here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kZl-b4Nx91H_lD2HzeW95qWolEM53SIbEaAJZA6Og1Q/edit?usp=sharing

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 14, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm in. I'll be Brand Ecch Comics

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I want to be the new Fantagraphics. I'll show them, I'll show them all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, names updated. Didn’t mention it above, but draft order will be randomized before we start.

Random thought that I meant to include in the q&a above, but forgot: I am not particularly fussed about what is a comic. So if you think that someone who did woodcuts and arranged them in sequential order to tell a story, or who drew and wrote children’s books, or whatever, is a comics creator, that’s good enough for me. I fully expect some pre 1900 creators and children book illustrators to be drafted (though of course many of them also worked on more traditional comics too).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Can't wait for Lynd Ward's Ambush Bug!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Go big or go home, I'll take Marvel. And just to spice it up, I'm only going to draft from webcomic creators a la Ryan North on Squirrel Girl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bingo Bango posted:

Go big or go home, I'll take Marvel. And just to spice it up, I'm only going to draft from webcomic creators a la Ryan North on Squirrel Girl.

Someone's gonna snipe John Allison from you out of spite (probably me)

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Skwirl posted:

Someone's gonna snipe John Allison from you out of spite (probably me)

That's fine, more Jeph Jacques for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bingo Bango posted:

That's fine, more Jeph Jacques for me.

I really wanted a clip of someone from The Light on Young Justice saying "all according to plan" but I couldn't find that quickly enough, so instead you get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENxZiDpPFA

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m in. Company TBD tomorrow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I didn't read the whole thing so I am going to say I am in and I am going to pick Vertigo and I don't care if they are defunct. Did I do that right?

JT Kull's Firestorm is gonna be this generations Animal Man. Bank it

Madkal fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 23, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You did that right, updated list.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ll take Humanoids.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I can't commit to this but am excited to see Alan Moore be the main writer of the EC line instead of Al Feldstein or whomever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll be the boring one and take DC

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, updating the list.

I'd like to get at least ~12 people for this before we start. Will post a quick reminder in some other threads for anyone who may have missed it, and thinking we could get started this weekend, probably Friday night / Saturday morning.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Will anyone have the courage and willpower to step up to the plate and do Zenescope or Antarctic Press?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

Will anyone have the courage and willpower to step up to the plate and do Zenescope or Antarctic Press?

Might actually be a fun gimmick to take people who have done erotic comics or good girl / bad girl art.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think for anybody from the comic strip megathread checking this out, it might also be fun to opt for a fantasy syndicate or Sunday page instead of a more conventional publisher, although I'm not as familiar with how fantasy drafts work and for all I know that might throw things askew.

Edit: I also stickied this thread for the week just so it gets more eyes, I'm really excited to see how it plays out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I'll be the boring one and take DC

Do you want to buy me out and give me tons of comic book monies?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

What's more grown up than gore and boobs? Nothing, that's what. I'll take Avatar Press.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

Do you want to buy me out and give me tons of comic book monies?

You mean fund you so you drive up the prestige of my brand

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Napoleon Nelson posted:

What's more grown up than gore and boobs? Nothing, that's what. I'll take Avatar Press.

Please for the love of god everybody let Napoleon Nelson have Kieron Gillen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Please for the love of god everybody let Napoleon Nelson have Kieron Gillen.

Uber still won't get finished

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Are there any restrictions on geography or style in terms of who we draft?

(I'm regretting not taking Archie Comics for the family friendly adventures of Milo Manara's Betty and Veronica)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That would be fun to draft manga creators too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No restrictions. Manga, BD, classic newspaper strip artists, woodcut artists, it’s all fair game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just wait til you all get a look at my Chuck Austen/Walt Flanagan Vertigo reboot of The Question.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's time to anime up DC

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hans Holbein's Spawn

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I am extremely in, and I will take Archie Comics

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
List updated. I think enough people have picked their companies that I'm good to take mine now.

I thought about taking EC or D&Q, but decided that the company I like the most is the current version of Image, so that's who I'll pick.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm amazed nobody's taken that one fly-by-night operation Bill Jemas had for like 5 minutes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm amazed nobody's taken that one fly-by-night operation Bill Jemas had for like 5 minutes.

There’s still time for you to do that. :)

Anyway, for those who have signed up, thoughts on plan to start as of Friday night / Saturday morning?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s still time for you to do that. :)

Anyway, for those who have signed up, thoughts on plan to start as of Friday night / Saturday morning?

Saturday Morning will work better for me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Saturday morning it is.

24 hour notice of start, we kick off tomorrow at 10am.

I'll randomize the order later tonight.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Saturday morning it is.

24 hour notice of start, we kick off tomorrow at 10am.

I'll randomize the order later tonight.

That's 10 am pacific time right?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

That's 10 am pacific time right?

EDT

e: and I’ll PM everyone with their position in the order. Depending how the order shakes out everyone should be able to pick at least once tomorrow.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm curious who the early picks will be. Did I miss how large each company will end up being?