Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Chris Claremont 2020: At Least He's Not John Byrne."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't know X-Factor was a thing again. Any decent outlines out there?

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/1/13/21060674/marvel-comics-new-x-men-series-x-factor-leah-williams

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

"Chris Claremont 2020: At Least He's Not John Byrne."

The key difference being Claremont hasn't said anything bigoted (yet)

Sounds good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nice to have Marauders back. No big revelations but it's fun, and does add to the 'something rotten in the heart of Krakoa' trend.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Hope that the status of the main character gets addressed sooner rather than later though...

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm pretty sure they were clear what happened to Pyro :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AngstyX/status/1265691585699864577

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Nice to have Marauders back. No big revelations but it's fun, and does add to the 'something rotten in the heart of Krakoa' trend.

Emma Frost says Trans Rights

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Catching up on Marauders, and Storm reacting to power dampening tech by going sicko mode with a vibranium knife is exactly how I've been hoping she'd be written in this series. Writers who remember that Storm spent a good portion of the 80s as a martial artist with no powers have my heart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Blues posted:

Catching up on Marauders, and Storm reacting to power dampening tech by going sicko mode with a vibranium knife is exactly how I've been hoping she'd be written in this series. Writers who remember that Storm spent a good portion of the 80s as a martial artist with no powers have my heart.

I just looked it up and there was 6 whole years between her getting depowered and being turned into a child and started to get her powers back, and she was the leader of The X-Men for pretty much that entire time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, and in that time there's specific mention of her training with Wolverine until he thinks she's nearly his equal, plus storylines where she routinely defeats powered people using cunning and martial arts skills. Plus, who can forget the iconic "Storm knife fights Callisto" scene from the introduction of the Morlocks?

Storm rules. I feel like an almost innumerable number of runs between Claremont and today have given her pretty short shrift characterisation-wise - she's usually the 90s cartoon version of herself, the serene weather goddess with very effective powers and a muted personality. It's cool to see Marauders painting a deeper portrait.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lmao

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, and in that time there's specific mention of her training with Wolverine until he thinks she's nearly his equal, plus storylines where she routinely defeats powered people using cunning and martial arts skills. Plus, who can forget the iconic "Storm knife fights Callisto" scene from the introduction of the Morlocks?

Storm rules. I feel like an almost innumerable number of runs between Claremont and today have given her pretty short shrift characterisation-wise - she's usually the 90s cartoon version of herself, the serene weather goddess with very effective powers and a muted personality. It's cool to see Marauders painting a deeper portrait.

It's been way too long since someone just gave Storm a team and let her run it her way. Like if they weren't writing her as Extremely Tired the past 10 years I'd be surprised she was going along with this Karoka stuff without more questions.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I just looked it up and there was 6 whole years between her getting depowered and being turned into a child and started to get her powers back, and she was the leader of The X-Men for pretty much that entire time.

That's not entirely right, but I can understand the confusion, because she did that whole stint as a kid where her powers were initially gone, then unreliable.

She got depowered in something like Uncanny #181, right after the first Secret Wars, and they stayed permanently gone until Forge restored them during the "Fall of the Mutants" storyline. She was at full power through the effective end of the Australia arc, when she got punted through the SIege Perilous.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

That's not entirely right, but I can understand the confusion, because she did that whole stint as a kid where her powers were initially gone, then unreliable.

She got depowered in something like Uncanny #181, right after the first Secret Wars, and they stayed permanently gone until Forge restored them during the "Fall of the Mutants" storyline. She was at full power through the effective end of the Australia arc, when she got punted through the SIege Perilous.

That's right. I was confused for a bit because I knew she had them during Inferno at the least.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Blockhouse posted:

However, it's also been like thirty years since he's written a comic that wasn't either mediocre or brain-searingly awful so I'm not sure I care about what 2020 Claremont thinks about modern comics at all.

I wouldn't go that far. His X-Men: Black Magneto story was pretty good, his Nightcrawler with Todd Nauck was a perfectly great adventure story, there are parts of his DC book Sovereign Seven that are fun, I kind of like his Contest of Champions II even with the obvious pet characters...

Claremont is well overdue to take another shot at original work, but at the same time, dude's staring 70 dead in the eye. I can't fault him too much for scooping up that easy con money for a while.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

That's awesome

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Re: Vulcan

My pet theory is that they resurrected him and he came back like he is from an earlier memory copy - but the real Vulcan is out there, still alive in the Fault or whatever, and so Krakoa-Vulcan is clashing with him. Mind=Soul, essentially, and they can't both exist, so Krakoa-Vulcan - who knows nothing about the War of Kings stuff and probably is pre-Deadly Genesis - is just kinda crazy and addled because of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Little Mac posted:

My pet theory is that they resurrected him and he came back like he is from an earlier memory copy - but the real Vulcan is out there, still alive in the Fault or whatever, and so Krakoa-Vulcan is clashing with him. Mind=Soul, essentially, and they can't both exist, so Krakoa-Vulcan - who knows nothing about the War of Kings stuff and probably is pre-Deadly Genesis - is just kinda crazy and addled because of it.

That fits with my theory that Charles (and/or the rest of the council) has broken or will break every single "rule" they've set up for themselves.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Y'all keep talking about Chuck being shady but that dude isn't in charge and the person who is hasn't been seen since the end of HoXPoX for a reason...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

Y'all keep talking about Chuck being shady but that dude isn't in charge and the person who is hasn't been seen since the end of HoXPoX for a reason...

If you're talking about Moira she's in an issue of X-Men. Telling Charles and Magneto that they can't bring back Destiny.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

If you're talking about Moira she's in an issue of X-Men. Telling Charles and Magneto that they can't bring back Destiny.

True but that was a flashback to a moment in HoX, right? Right after they recruited Mystique...

Either way my point stands: this isn't Chuck's plan we're seeing. Which gives Hickman and Co. an out if needed.

Which reminds me that at one point there was an rumor/announcement about a Moira series by a big-name writer? Or was that squashed?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Little Mac posted:

Maybe, it might not have been a coincidence that a new space event featuring the Cancerverse started around new Xmen series launched

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So i fell off of X-men during the inhumans nonsense and just picked back up once house of X started. However now i have time on my hands I'm wondering if i missed anything that's worth reading.

Two questions:

-Is X-men Blue worth reading? I enjoyed both volumes of all new and while I know how it ends I'm curious to see if its any good. Bonus points if there's good Iceman content
-other than X-men red and all new Wolverine are there any good books worth reading from the Gold/Blue era?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i was a fan of Greg Pak (and eventually joined by Fred Van Lente)'s Weapon X

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My unfortunate advice is to probably just skip Blue? And I liked the All-New books as well, but Blue was getting to the point where they just very evidently didn't have any idea what to do with the teens anymore and I seem to recall at one point the book is just about an entirely different team. Anything interesting it added, like Bloodstorm, just gets wiped away with Extinction or whatever that was.

And yeah Iceboyman doesn't really do anything in the series, beyond just being standard funny Iceman occasionally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Young Jean's solo book is pretty good if you want young X-Men stuff, although it is pretty much just about Jean herself.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alaois posted:

i was a fan of Greg Pak (and eventually joined by Fred Van Lente)'s Weapon X

Weapon X was a lot of fun and spun off into Weapon H which is not an X-book but somehow (because Greg Pak) was surprisingly good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Cyclops series was pretty cool until it was cancelled and ended as part of a crossover.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
These are all standalone, mostly, so will work:

You could read X-Men Gold #30 (and only #30 - though there's also a Wedding Special that is mixed based on the stories, as I recall) and then Rogue & Gambit #1-5 & Mr & Mrs X, both of which are great.

I also am chucking a vote for the teen Jean Grey series, which gets into her perspective well, and Emma Frost has an excellent appearance alongside some other good guest-spots.

I liked the Dazzler X-Song one-shot, and the Magik What if? is fantastic, and gets a Doctor Strange-focused follow up in Doctor Strange: The End #1.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Metalshark posted:

These are all standalone, mostly, so will work:

You could read X-Men Gold #30 (and only #30 - though there's also a Wedding Special that is mixed based on the stories, as I recall) and then Rogue & Gambit #1-5 & Mr & Mrs X, both of which are great.

I also am chucking a vote for the teen Jean Grey series, which gets into her perspective well, and Emma Frost has an excellent appearance alongside some other good guest-spots.

I liked the Dazzler X-Song one-shot, and the Magik What if? is fantastic, and gets a Doctor Strange-focused follow up in Doctor Strange: The End #1.

Rogue and Gambit 1-5 is before X-Men Gold #30

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, now I miss Mr. and Mrs. X.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Skwirl posted:

Rogue and Gambit 1-5 is before X-Men Gold #30

D'oh, good catch.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Lot of stuff to check out.

So rogue and gambit/mr and mrs x are definitely worth checking out judging by how many people mentioned them. Good to know.

Metalshark posted:

The Magik what if is the one where she studies under Dr Strange right? Will definitely add that to the list. Thanks.

Shame to hear x-men blue was a dud. Ah well, least the Jean Grey series should be good from what I've seen.

Endless Mike posted:

The Cyclops series was pretty cool until it was cancelled and ended as part of a crossover.

Yeah that was during Bendis run if i recall (The Black vortex?). Either way it was nice seeing Scott and his dad hang out.

rantmo posted:

Weapon X was a lot of fun and spun off into Weapon H which is not an X-book but somehow (because Greg Pak) was surprisingly good.

Huh, i could have sworn i heard of this. Why have i not read it?

Art by Greg Land

...Oh.

:(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nyeehg posted:

Huh, i could have sworn i heard of this. Why have i not read it?

Art by Greg Land

...Oh.

:(

it's only the first like, 5 issues, after that it gets better

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's also probably Land's absolute best comics work. Which isn't saying much, but it could have been worse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Land wasn't terrible before he started tracing so heavy. Like he was fine on Birds of Prey ages ago.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Land wasn't terrible before he started tracing so heavy. Like he was fine on Birds of Prey ages ago.

Yeah, I will defend that run, but you can also start to see some of his famous traces start to appear.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Excalibur: Gee, maybe it's a bad idea to bring back the hideously evil and powerful mutants back after all?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's been months since the last issue so I can't even recall exactly how it reached this point, but Excalibur read entirely like a feverish dream. There's a living Kate, a flying ship, Britain going to war vs Krakoa, but it's all a split reality to create more Captain Britains, and what even the gently caress and do I even care anymore? I swear, it's been 10 issues and the only thing I can tell about Excalibur is that the art is pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Excalibur could be one of the more crazy X-books way back in the day, so I can't say that's a surprise to me. I suppose they're trying to newly emphasize that for a while.