Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fond memories of Bernard's Watch, where Bernard is stumped on a maths question at school, so he pauses time and goes to use a calculator to figure it out, and is complely flummuxed because, as the narrator says "even though calculators are fast, they still take time"

So instead he tears up a Really Important Letter on the teachers desk, and uses the pieces to work it out by hand.

I've no idea what the moral of that story is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s an episode of Angel where Cordelia’s future-sight stops working and they realize it’s because time is going to stop soon! Some nerd found out his GF was cheating on him so he took the experimental time matrix he was building at his university lab and smuggles it into his apartment so that he can gently caress her and freeze time at the exact moment he nuts. The director really insists on making sure you know he’s cumming. It’s a weird episode.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

tarlibone posted:

Are we talking about time - stop stuff?

When I was a little kid, and we're talking late 70s or early 80s, there was a show you can catch on Saturday mornings that had that element. This show had some kid, a magic or science watch of some kind, and I think there was an older guy with him, too. With that watch, they can stop time, travel to different times and places, and basically create all sorts of edutainment. I don't remember what it was called, and I'd kind-of like to know, but I do remember that it was one of those shows that usually ended with the protagonist looking at the camera, reminding us of the main points of the episode, giving a few facts about the historical settings and characters involved, etc. Then, he would end by adding, "... and you can learn more about it at your local library."

I think one episode was about the Brooklyn Dodgers moving, of all things.

Is the older person a dog?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite of those was a Scrooge McDuck comic I read as a kid (I think it was a Don Rosa one), why Gyro Gearloose invents your typical stopwatch and the Beagle Boys steal it and use it to plunder Scrooge's money vault.

The main bit I remember is that at one point the ducks are chasing the Beagle Boys through frozen time and are foiled by a lawn. The frozen grass is basically a spike strip, and the villains are able to cross it as they wear shoes, but the ducks, being shoeless, have no way to get across.

Don Rosa actually did a bunch of cool sci fi stories. There's also one where the money bin disappears into space, and when they find it, there's some alien hillbillies squatting in it. The entire second act is told from the perspective of the aliens, and how they're terrorized by hideous two-eyed, feathered monsters who speak in bizarre gurgling quacks from their weird bill appendages. They're even immune to conventional weaponry, shrugging off a blast from a phaser shotgun like it was nothing. They are, however, vulnerable to certain common household objects, like a bucket of electrolytes one would use to mop the floor will stun them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s an episode of Angel where Cordelia’s future-sight stops working and they realize it’s because time is going to stop soon! Some nerd found out his GF was cheating on him so he took the experimental time matrix he was building at his university lab and smuggles it into his apartment so that he can gently caress her and freeze time at the exact moment he nuts. The director really insists on making sure you know he’s cumming. It’s a weird episode.

So, what was the point there if subjective time also froze?

Also drat what university had the budget to build a "time matrix"?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LashLightning posted:

Is the older person a dog?

... I don't think so, but around that time, that would have been possible. Likely, even. Wow... it could have been.

I know it was live action.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So, what was the point there if subjective time also froze?

Also drat what university had the budget to build a "time matrix"?

He wanted to freeze time forever at the moment he felt the happiest, blasting in his distracted girlfriend while she fantasized about her slam piece. Honestly I haven’t thought about this episode in years but it’s pretty obviously one of the writers working through an old break up lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like how Jerry's disciples find out at the end that he had an easier way to make fire and get annoyed at him. They're already starting down the road of turning on his camping lifestyle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tarlibone posted:

When I was a little kid, and we're talking late 70s or early 80s, there was a show you can catch on Saturday mornings that had that element. This show had some kid, a magic or science watch of some kind, and I think there was an older guy with him, too. With that watch, they can stop time, travel to different times and places, and basically create all sorts of edutainment. I don't remember what it was called, and I'd kind-of like to know, but I do remember that it was one of those shows that usually ended with the protagonist looking at the camera, reminding us of the main points of the episode, giving a few facts about the historical settings and characters involved, etc. Then, he would end by adding, "... and you can learn more about it at your local library."

"Yes, hello, is this the Library? Great, tell me about the Brooklyn Dodgers moving. No skip past that, I already heard about that part in a TV show!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly that does sound like something that might be interesting to learn about, since sports teams moving is something that impacts a lot of people and can be a rather confusing idea if you don't know the specific of how teams work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The lack of acid in the last episode blew a pretty big hole in my "Every Episode in the Second Half of Season 4 is Going to Feature Acid" hypothesis

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There was a Treehouse of Horror where Bart got a stopwatch that stopped time and everybody wanted to kill him because he did nothing but screw with people. That was neat.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

tarlibone posted:

Voyagers

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0083500

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The lack of acid in the last episode blew a pretty big hole in my "Every Episode in the Second Half of Season 4 is Going to Feature Acid" hypothesis

I guess it depends on what kind of space drugs Summer was on at the end.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
he said brake fluid so normal vape juice basically

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Minute by minute, this episode had me so king into an uncomfortable feeling that maybe the show wasn't for me anymore, that maybe they had flown off the handle.

The Jery making GBS threads seemed excessive and painfully overdone, the Summer and Morty bit seemed strangely on the nose yet opaque, and the pacing of the Beth and Rick like seemed so awkward.

I found myself heading into the closing sequence with an agonizing rictus, waiting for the big joke or the "oh huh" moment, and a boring fistfight with a god wasn't helping.

Then they stuck the landing. And the post credit was loving hilarious.

Knowing they stick the landing seems to make a rewatch far more enjoyable.

Weird loving episode that almost scared me off.

But I'm not the brightest ape, so feel free to tell me how I'm wrong

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Holy crap, that's it!

Just reading the Wikipedia page's plot summary is like looking at a TV Tropes page.

This is one of many shows that I remember watching that almost nobody knows ever existed. Otherworld also comes to mind. I have fond, fuzzy memories of that ridiculous show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah I really liked Voyagers! as a kid.

Jon-Erik Hexum, the adult lead, shot himself in the head with a prop gun that had blanks in it while filming another show, Cover Up. He did it Russian-roulette style and didn't realize that even a loving blank cartridge would kill him.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BrotherJayne posted:

Minute by minute, this episode had me so king into an uncomfortable feeling that maybe the show wasn't for me anymore, that maybe they had flown off the handle.

The Jery making GBS threads seemed excessive and painfully overdone, the Summer and Morty bit seemed strangely on the nose yet opaque, and the pacing of the Beth and Rick like seemed so awkward.

I found myself heading into the closing sequence with an agonizing rictus, waiting for the big joke or the "oh huh" moment, and a boring fistfight with a god wasn't helping.

Then they stuck the landing. And the post credit was loving hilarious.

Knowing they stick the landing seems to make a rewatch far more enjoyable.

Weird loving episode that almost scared me off.

But I'm not the brightest ape, so feel free to tell me how I'm wrong

Honestly, the angry fist-shaking at camping had me rolling my eyes at the city kids in the writers' room, and the show got much better as it moved away from the topic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly it amazes me how much thought and introspection people put into TV shows. I just watched it and thought, eh not a great episode.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Yeah, the hatred for camping was weird. Survival skills are important. poo poo, what if your car gets stuck? Or you become homeless?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Honestly, the angry fist-shaking at camping had me rolling my eyes at the city kids in the writers' room, and the show got much better as it moved away from the topic.

Eh, as someone who regularly camps, I read those scenes as less "People who go out into the wilderness are dumb" and more "Jerry is doing dumb poo poo in a vain attempt to assert his status as the patriarch of his family again" It's like the Pluto episode in that way

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

tarlibone posted:

Holy crap, that's it!

Just reading the Wikipedia page's plot summary is like looking at a TV Tropes page.

This is one of many shows that I remember watching that almost nobody knows ever existed. Otherworld also comes to mind. I have fond, fuzzy memories of that ridiculous show.

If I’m remembering correctly in the first episode of Voyagers the kid proves his knowledge of history because Moses’s boat/basket gets caught in the reeds and he pushes it free. Is Otherworld the one where a family is in a pyramid when the planets line up and get accidentally stargated?

- Oh and in Voyagers I think I remember that when they traveled in time, every time the would always fall from the sky and crash land into like, a hale bale or chicken coop.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MJeff posted:

There was a Treehouse of Horror where Bart got a stopwatch that stopped time and everybody wanted to kill him because he did nothing but screw with people. That was neat.

And he and Milhouse broke the watch and took 20 years to fix it.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Eh, as someone who regularly camps, I read those scenes as less "People who go out into the wilderness are dumb" and more "Jerry is doing dumb poo poo in a vain attempt to assert his status as the patriarch of his family again" It's like the Pluto episode in that way

It's not about survival skills, it's about an insecure dad's idea of 'roughing it', emphasised as when Jerry's tribe start actually building houses and he smacks that down. Also possibly some contrast as Jerry is trying to act out some idea of wilderness skills while Rick and Beth are building a sci-fi dystopia from scratch.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

... as Jerry is trying to act out some idea of wilderness skills while Rick and Beth are building a sci-fi dystopia from scratch.

... that's pretty fuckin' funny, on reflection

Edit: your summarization is funny, that is.

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 27, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The new Ducktales cartoon series has a pretty great time stopping episode, I don't want to say which episode it is though because the fact that it's a time stopping episode is a surprise that's only revealed near the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a lot of pretty unsubtle metaphors going on in this episode in general, almost to the point of parody.

Does seem like a setup for the planet people to show up again down the line having developed some interesting mythology.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ive been vaguely aware of Voyagers! because sometimes I hang out on a prop forum, and I know there’s a cool looking device from the show, but I never really looked it up.

Joey, do you like gladiator movies?
______________/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The point of the camping is exactly what Summer said, the only way Jerry can compete with Rick is if No Science Allowed!

Summer and Morty being completely wrong was funny. The new “mean” Summer is a little over done, IMO, but she has already had multiple episodes where she ends up in a personal hell so I give her a bit of a pass. Her family sucks and her parents are garbage, I’d be a selfish bitch too.

My big this with this episode is that Jerry sticking around just gets less and less believable. I know Jerry and Beth love each other but Jerry seemed like genuinely happier and more capable as a bachelor and since rejoining the family it’s like he just amnesias all his character development from S2. Its easier for me to swallow all of Rick’s Sci-Fi bullshit than it is for me to accept that Jerry wouldn’t at least be second guessing his choices.

It feels weird that Morty, Summer, Beth and Rick seem to experience semi-persistent character growth but Jerry actually goes through an entire multi-season arc with divorce and bachelor life etc and then goes back to being the exact same person except if possible he’s been lamer and more pathetic. Rick needs more foils, not less.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

Ive been vaguely aware of Voyagers! because sometimes I hang out on a prop forum, and I know there’s a cool looking device from the show, but I never really looked it up.

Joey, do you like gladiator movies?
______________/

I would have sworn I had never even heard of this show before, but I went looking for the watch prop out of idle curiosity because of your post and, holy poo poo, it all came flooding back.

It was a really crappy show. Not its fault though, 80s kid's TV was loving dire.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The episode didn't even completely poo poo on camping. It made fun of it at first but Morty and Summer repeatedly and explicitly come to the conclusion that Jerry was right that having survival skills is important, while their methods were complete failures that only paid off by sheer chance. Rick busting in and reinforcing the wrong message is clearly just a funny subversion about what the actual moral was supposed to be.

Kind of weird to call out Morty for not being able to survive in the wilderness the very next episode after he survived for a week on top of a mountain but whatever.

Jerry also did save Beth in the end which she was obviously impressed by. All of the family came out looking like fuckups but he's the only one who got to really 'win' in the end.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nephthys posted:

All of the family came out looking like fuckups but he's the only one who got to really 'win' in the end.
He was the only one even willing to entertain the right conceptual horse last week (beekeeping)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If I’m remembering correctly in the first episode of Voyagers the kid proves his knowledge of history because Moses’s boat/basket gets caught in the reeds and he pushes it free. Is Otherworld the one where a family is in a pyramid when the planets line up and get accidentally stargated?

- Oh and in Voyagers I think I remember that when they traveled in time, every time the would always fall from the sky and crash land into like, a hale bale or chicken coop.

Yeah, Otherworld is the one where the family goes on some innocent little hike through the interior of a pyramid at Giza, as vacationing American families (as in the whole family) typically do for fun, and the planets align, and boom--alternate universe. It's such a 1980s premise. Every town they visit seems to have a theme. There are authorities chasing them down because they accidentally ended up on the wrong side of alternate universe law. One random detail I remember is that in one episode, the mom is doing the shopping at one of the local grocery stores (they were blending into this town well enough for trips to the store, I guess), she finds a can of food on the shelf simply labeled "MEAT." And she asks a stock clerk or whoever what it is, and he's like, "it's meat, says so right on the can" or something. She asks what kind of meat, and it's like he's never considered such a silly question before.

I don't know why, but that detail sticks out, and it tickles me to this day. MEAT. I hope one day to find such a can in a grocery store. And no, SPAM doesn't count. I know what that is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nephthys posted:

Kind of weird to call out Morty for not being able to survive in the wilderness the very next episode after he survived for a week on top of a mountain but whatever.

He roughed it with that tribe in the tinyverse so I think his hatred of camping is well-founded.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that the goofy sci fi series set in a multiverse clearly prizes jokes over continuity.

It was weird to see a dynamic that felt like it would have been at home in earlier seasons, though I liked that the A and B plots didn't stay separated. The whole episode had the characters trapped in the logic of 80s/90s family vacation stories, mixed with 80s 90s kid saves the day adventures when their useless skill turns out to be "This is a unix system! I know this!" and then pushing things a little bit far. The daughter always tells off the dad, but not to the uncomfortable extent that Summer told off Jerry etc. The dads get in a fist fight, but not to death.

I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

doingitwrong posted:

I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

You're right though, and it's signposted by how their station wagon is just like the one from National Lampoon's Vacation

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PostNouveau posted:

He roughed it with that tribe in the tinyverse so I think his hatred of camping is well-founded.

Teenyverse.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Love how Rick builds s box with a bunch of stars in it and goes and gives emergent life forms religion so they'll give him power through treadmills.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I wish Solar Opposites only had the aliens in the first episode, and the rest of the show is just following the people in The Wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Dienes posted:

I wish Solar Opposites only had the aliens in the first episode, and the rest of the show is just following the people in The Wall.

The Wall is some impressive Ray Bradbury, Roald Dahl stuff and I'll never understand these shows wanting to hide better and more compelling ideas inside their irreverent sci-fi comedy. I guess that's also kind of the joke but it feels like a waste.