Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So I'm researching Diaclone and with the exception of a couple of retools every single robot toy after they started using realistic vehicles became a Transformer.

Except the guy on the right in this pic.

And I can't help but wonder why they excluded him specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was like "wow that's a pretty cool jazz statue"

then I saw the second post

https://twitter.com/SDC_MisterJazzz/status/1265320662412992512

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Finally received the last two Seacons. Really happy with this set. Tentakil is the weakest for me but I still have to give it credit for being a pretty creative re-use of the female combiner team limb mold.

Definitely can't hold one of the individual bots as a gun but it works surprisingly well as a gun emplacement socketed into one of the combiner hands.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Droyer posted:

So I'm researching Diaclone and with the exception of a couple of retools every single robot toy after they started using realistic vehicles became a Transformer.

Probably either a problem with the mold or it didn't pass US safety standards

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad to see even Blitzwings' original art wasn't accurate to his toy design

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Droyer posted:

My immature reaction is "rotor dick"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Spiderdrake posted:

I thought that too but then, Megatron is pistol dick

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

That's uh, that's not where the dick goes my dude.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Droyer posted:

Look I know you're the thread's leading diaclonologist but when you've got a big swinging appendage running down off your front it's either a rotor trunk or rotor dick and we're talking why he never made it to Cybertron.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Magic posted:

I thought that too but then, Megatron is pistol dick

I'm not seein a lie here

Y'know though, there's a little of Phantom Apache in my perennial favorite Skyhammer. Mainly that he's a blue attack helicopter with He-Man Straps on his chest.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Skyhammer is everyone's perennial favorite. The best toy to come out of DOTM's original line easily.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Droyer posted:

More of an outie bellybutton rotor situation

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Droyer posted:

There were also a handful of Microman figures who didn't make the cut for whatever reason. A binoculars guy who looks pretty lovely so I don't blame them for not including him.

But then there's Megatron's lost brothers. Frankly they look like better figures than Megatron and I'm surprised they never got used. I'd say they maybe didn't want to complete with Megatron being the only gun and thus kind of special from the other Decepticons, but then Shockwave ruins that.

Source, for anyone interested: https://micromanclub.tumblr.com/post/113055115824/micromansecretfilepart4

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, someone went into this before. It's likely that the toy that got turned into Megatron the way he did (And he was the only realistic firearm, Shockwave was a laser gun) because of all his extra bits and bobs. It made him feel more special and more valuable. The others were all fairly self contained, though they were superior action figures.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knormal posted:

There were also a handful of Microman figures who didn't make the cut for whatever reason. A binoculars guy who looks pretty lovely so I don't blame them for not including him.

But then there's Megatron's lost brothers. Frankly they look like better figures than Megatron and I'm surprised they never got used. I'd say they maybe didn't want to complete with Megatron being the only gun and thus kind of special from the other Decepticons, but then Shockwave ruins that.

Source, for anyone interested: https://micromanclub.tumblr.com/post/113055115824/micromansecretfilepart4

loving the hammer pants on binocular guy here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Browning did get used, though Japan-only (as were the Diaclone Trainbots). It's only the .44 Magnum that got missed.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Are those ancient Bakugan on the right?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I have no good reason or place for it, but I kind of want to pull the trigger on Studio Series Shockwave. Anybody have any thoughts on him?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those orb bots are way cooler than the cassette bots

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Captain Magic posted:

I have no good reason or place for it, but I kind of want to pull the trigger on Studio Series Shockwave. Anybody have any thoughts on him?

Movie Shockwave is my favorite one and I almost got him, but didn't since I didn't want to put away my Streetside Shockwave and I also don't really need 2 of them out. He looks really nice though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Captain Magic posted:

He's gorgeously painted and looks imposing as hell, with solid posability. On the other hand, his tank mode is so uninvolved that he's basically an Action Master.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Burkion posted:

So, someone went into this before. It's likely that the toy that got turned into Megatron the way he did (And he was the only realistic firearm, Shockwave was a laser gun) because of all his extra bits and bobs. It made him feel more special and more valuable. The others were all fairly self contained, though they were superior action figures.

Americans wouldn’t be able to handle guns that look that realistic, even in the 80’s. Metal parts and heavy plastics is a bit much.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Why hasn't a wheelgun megatron been made since the diaclone days

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's really sad, because the basic premise is that the proliferation of firearms in the US has gotten so bad that it's realistically possible for a child to just have a real gun and be a threat. And US police forces at the very least use the proliferation of firearms as an excuse to amp up their own lethality, although there is also a whole thing where police forces have been massively unaccountable for their actions and encouraged by vendors, inspirational speakers, hate groups, politicians, lobbyists, and people in other positions of power within the established order to maintain their unaccountability and act as murderous thugs.

It's real bad. There are no signs of it getting better. Sorry Prowl, acab. That's the world that we've built. It's too dangerous to let a child go pew pew with their toys.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Burkion posted:

Yeah that makes sense, it makes him compete with all of Optimus' accessories a bit better.

Phy posted:

Browning did get used, though Japan-only (as were the Diaclone Trainbots). It's only the .44 Magnum that got missed.
Oh that's right, I forgot about that. And actually he looks a lot worse in that photo on TFWiki than in the official photoshoot, so I guess we didn't miss much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's real bad. There are no signs of it getting better. Sorry Prowl, acab. That's the world that we've built. It's too dangerous to let a child go pew pew with their toys.

Because the police will also come and kill your children for playing with toy guns too, such as in the case of Tamir Rice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DoctorWhat posted:

Skyhammer is everyone's perennial favorite. The best toy to come out of DOTM's original line easily.
That's a really weird spelling of "Lugnut" you've got there.

The_Doctor posted:

Because the police will also come and kill your children for playing with toy guns too, such as in the case of Tamir Rice.
My "favourite" is when someone was killed for holding a phone a gun manufacturer went and designed a derringer that folds up into the shape of a smartphone so the cops were retroactively "justified" for doing it :negative:

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Droyer posted:

probably because his alt mode goes from flying vehicle to different flying vehicle, all the other triple changers have alt-modes that let them go from land/sea to air or vice versa. in comparison this guy doesn't change up his style enough, it's not as exciting

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just realized that OG Megs turns into a P38, the same gun Lupin uses. Now I want a crossover where he steals som mcguffin from the Decepticons to help the Autobots.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
oh hey I forgot to update you guys, but the giant bugman diaclone is dropping this saturday, and I gotta plan a twitter story to tell.

Last time around the bad guys went in sneaky then tried to steal a power source by force and got wrecked by Lego Star Wars guys and calico critters. This time they're gonna steal the power source from the hello kitty planet by asking nicely and saying please. The diaclones will find out when the sanrio-ians come crying that the waruders borrowed it and never returned it like they promised. my kids assure me this is hilarious.

The overall arc is that they're trying to take out the main supercomputer in tokyo, but also wrecking the place in general too, so you don't need to be in the main storyline if you don't want to. The schedule is they'll wrap the story on the 7th which means I can probably get in on the tail end.

Also I figured out the hard part about diaclone toys, it's not the cost, it's the base you want to build for them. Trying to build a cool diaclone base is way worse than it sounds like it should be. It's like 50% model railroad diorama and 50% magenetized warhammer terrain.

Most of the time I end up with something functional like this one
https://twitter.com/AT_1220/status/1265613212277370885?s=20

but then you see a dude go all out and throw your hands up
https://twitter.com/moonbasev3/status/1265304633808793600?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Kapow Toys in the UK will apparently be getting ER Sky Lynx this Friday!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

There were no Diaclone days for Megatron, he used to be a Microman toy.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Droyer posted:

It's a stretch, but Rotorstorm is somewhat maybe kind of similar, except for the triple changer part. His rotors are stuck on the back, though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

He's gorgeously painted and looks imposing as hell, with solid posability. On the other hand, his tank mode is so uninvolved that he's basically an Action Master.

This is basically what I was thinking it would be, yeah.

I really like all my display pieces and everything but sometimes it’s nice to just have something you can hold and a.) not worry about breaking because it’s been playtested and b.) not worry about breaking because you’re not out $80+ dollars.

Edit:

WHAT CAN I POSSIBLY FIDDLE WITH!?!?!?

It’s me, I’m the spoiled capitalist baby

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 27, 2020

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

That's a really weird spelling of "Lugnut" you've got there.
My "favourite" is when someone was killed for holding a phone a gun manufacturer went and designed a derringer that folds up into the shape of a smartphone so the cops were retroactively "justified" for doing it :negative:

Lugnut is from Reveal the Shield, I think, or maybe the 2010 Yellow-Box line. not Dark of the Moon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Finally snagged a SS Scrapper. Hes a chonky boy. Very hefty for his class. Wish his yellow wasnt so bright that it burns my retinas but still very nice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Magic posted:

This is basically what I was thinking it would be, yeah.

I really like all my display pieces and everything but sometimes it’s nice to just have something you can hold and a.) not worry about breaking because it’s been playtested and b.) not worry about breaking because you’re not out $80+ dollars.

This is one of the two big things I've been enjoying about Siegerise. It's a bunch of my MPs but built to be smacked together by 7-year-olds.

(The other is the presence of the Autobot Big Bois)

(The ones that aren't cityformers)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vaporware posted:

oh hey I forgot to update you guys, but the giant bugman diaclone is dropping this saturday, and I gotta plan a twitter story to tell.

Last time around the bad guys went in sneaky then tried to steal a power source by force and got wrecked by Lego Star Wars guys and calico critters. This time they're gonna steal the power source from the hello kitty planet by asking nicely and saying please. The diaclones will find out when the sanrio-ians come crying that the waruders borrowed it and never returned it like they promised. my kids assure me this is hilarious.

The overall arc is that they're trying to take out the main supercomputer in tokyo, but also wrecking the place in general too, so you don't need to be in the main storyline if you don't want to. The schedule is they'll wrap the story on the 7th which means I can probably get in on the tail end.

Also I figured out the hard part about diaclone toys, it's not the cost, it's the base you want to build for them. Trying to build a cool diaclone base is way worse than it sounds like it should be. It's like 50% model railroad diorama and 50% magenetized warhammer terrain.

Most of the time I end up with something functional like this one
https://twitter.com/AT_1220/status/1265613212277370885?s=20

but then you see a dude go all out and throw your hands up
https://twitter.com/moonbasev3/status/1265304633808793600?s=20

Ah drat, these are awesome.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I mean Classics Megatron turned into a nerf maverick :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Americans wouldn’t be able to handle guns that look that realistic, even in the 80’s. Metal parts and heavy plastics is a bit much.

Entertech says hi.

Realistic looking toy guns were NOT a concern in the '80s.