Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What issue number is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What issue number is that?

Number five.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Number five.

Thank you! I just read a review with more info, but beware, even the URL contains the massive spoiler, so don't mouse over it if you don't want to be spoiled.
https://screenrant.com/blue-beetle-secret-villain-dc-comics/

Interesting, because that character is on the cover of another comic coming out tomorrow, Terrifics #27, in a significant-looking guest appearance.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thank you! I just read a review with more info, but beware, even the URL contains the massive spoiler, so don't mouse over it if you don't want to be spoiled.
https://screenrant.com/blue-beetle-secret-villain-dc-comics/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This makes the entire beginning of Infinite Crisis pointless lmao

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
BOOOOOOOOOO!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

How is he even alive after that? I know he showed up later in Forever Evil in the New 52, and then again in Rebirth, but have they ever reconciled or explained that?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How is he even alive after that? I know he showed up later in Forever Evil in the New 52, and then again in Rebirth, but have they ever reconciled or explained that?

The story is erased I think lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nope! In Forever Evil, he's just a kid who's inheriting his father's business that Lex Luthor was about to buy out, until he didn't. There was no hint of anything Beetle related, I think he wears a blue shirt but that's as far as it goes. But that got wiped like so much other N52 garbage.

In Rebirth, he appears to tutor/help Jaime Reyes be Blue Beetle in kinda sorta a Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond role, because they do show that his Blue Beetle career definitely happened, and he's got all his old gadgets, but he can't go actively do hero stuff because he has an undefined heart problem.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 27, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Hootington posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if it'll turn out that he's the Ted Kord from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis book, since it'd fit that Ted's characterisation, and DC loves it some Dark Multiverse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if it'll turn out that he's the Ted Kord from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis book, since it'd fit that Ted's characterisation, and DC loves it some Dark Multiverse.

That'd be one of my guesses. Another guess might be Maxwell Lord mind controlling Kord

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if he's being controlled by bad writers

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Synthbuttrange posted:

What if he's being controlled by bad writers

Tom Taylor is not a bad writer

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

Tom Taylor is not a bad writer

Yeah, if anybody's earned the benefit of the doubt it's Taylor.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Wait when did Tom Taylor become a good writer? Isn't most of his work DCeased and Injustice?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wait when did Tom Taylor become a good writer? Isn't most of his work DCeased and Injustice?

Check out All New Wolverine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and X-Men Red

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Both of which are shockingly good considering the concepts. He does a combination of humour and pathos very well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

DCeased is surprisingly good despite its concept. It's arguably better than a bunch of the current ongoings

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

DCeased is surprisingly good despite its concept. It's arguably better than a bunch of the current ongoings

"Surprisingly good despite its concept" seems to really be Taylor's niche.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All of Tom Taylor's Marvel work is top notch.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
He's also gotten lots of praise for his work on Vision, Omega Men and a vertigo series called Sheriff of Babylon.

This is a joke btw.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

All of Tom Taylor's Marvel work is top notch.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was a delight.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He actually made Injustice work in his comics, and most of the time they're better written than the games despite the concept being so inherently edgy.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

TwoPair posted:

"Surprisingly good despite its concept" seems to really be Taylor's niche.

He even made N52 Earth 2 good for a while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I didn't read it for years because of its video game based nature, but Injustice is one of the best Justice League runs ever easily. It lasted so long it was only killed by having a second game come out so it had to change its name to Injustice 2 which killed its momentum.

Tom Taylor is probably a top five writer in the comics industry right now. Weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus loving Christ. Can't they just stop pulling this poo poo with those characters. First it was the murders now it's the evils.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I didn't read it for years because of its video game based nature, but Injustice is one of the best Justice League runs ever easily. It lasted so long it was only killed by having a second game come out so it had to change its name to Injustice 2 which killed its momentum.

Tom Taylor is probably a top five writer in the comics industry right now. Weird.

Although you do get some of the best stuff in Injustice 2, like Croc and Orca's wedding.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Man that's the biggest reaction I've gotten here.

I never read his Marvel stuff so I'm out of the loop on that one. I just know I couldn't stand how stupid Injustice was and found DCeased to be really lame and that's the body of his DC work.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think people are right that Tom Taylor has an earnestness that elevates his work on titles like that above the premise, but I also think you're right Injustice is really stupid and DCeased is incredibly lame.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Justice League Dark is still great. I'm not super familiar with Swamp Thing lore but Khalil Dr. Fate is killing it with those threads.

It's been a while since I commented on WW, but Steve Orlando is giving me Diana and Donna actually interacting like semi-human characters, so I guess this super generic grr I was your friend but you betrayed me! plot with Paula Von Gunther is at least kinda worth it, especially since it's making a lot of use out of obscure and not-so-obscure silver/bronze age WW villains, so um good on you I guess Steve Orlando, I still don't forgive you for JLA though, and also just fuckin' give me clay-made Diana again. You know you want to. Do it. Do it fucker.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Justice League Dark is still great. I'm not super familiar with Swamp Thing lore but Khalil Dr. Fate is killing it with those threads.

It's been a while since I commented on WW, but Steve Orlando is giving me Diana and Donna actually interacting like semi-human characters, so I guess this super generic grr I was your friend but you betrayed me! plot with Paula Von Gunther is at least kinda worth it, especially since it's making a lot of use out of obscure and not-so-obscure silver/bronze age WW villains, so um good on you I guess Steve Orlando, I still don't forgive you for JLA though, and also just fuckin' give me clay-made Diana again. You know you want to. Do it. Do it fucker.

The Parliaments have been rewritten again, but at least this group makes some sense and hopefully sticks around though I guess the Rot is now literally dead things and its detritus rather than the microorganisms and such that do the actual act of decomposition. Or maybe it's both? Idk. The Parliament of the Unseen is fairly explicit in that it's all manner of microorganism, animal, microbe or otherwise, but there's definitely a weird overlap there.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I just wish it wasn't with the asinine "DONNA IS A WEAPON MADE TO KILL THE AMAZONS" retcon plastered over her every move. I love Donna but DC does their absolute best to spoil it for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a little wild seeing Devastation back. She felt like she had been super over-used by the time they tucked her back into the box.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All of his Marvel work is very good. The only real considerable run of his in DC I've read is Injustice. And it's good in the same way I think people feel about the TV show Legends of Tomorrow. It's a stupid premise and it's really dumb, but it has so much fun with it that it's a hell of a read anyway. Taylor leans into the terribleness of the premise and whatever dumb story was in the game. The first part is a bit rough when he's having to work with stuff that's apparently directly from the game but when he gets to go off on his own journey it become a wild stupid fun ride.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot his Earth 2 stuff. That was good too.

But besides all that the man created Gabby and for that he's forgive for anything else bad he ever writes.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 4, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dawgstar posted:

It's a little wild seeing Devastation back. She felt like she had been super over-used by the time they tucked her back into the box.
Look, at this point even I have a hard time telling Devastation apart from Genocide and ...who's the other one again?...Ah yes, Armageddon, who's kind of just a new character but not really but no yeah she is. I mean the whole WE HATE DIANA team-up here is...not particularly organic, but it's still just kinda fun when you honest-to-god never expected to see any of these characters ever again. At this point I almost expect Artemis to show up again before this run is done, if not for the fact that I just now jinxed it.

And like, Orlando is so bluntly taking so many elements from pre-Flashpoint that you can just sense his fingers trembling over that reset button, to finally have the Wonder Family make a modicum of sense again. But...if he's not allowed to, it's still nice to have something kinda workable for the future. These whole pages where Diana regrets neglecting all the important connections in her life should be stapled onto the faces of any future WW writers who are planning to just reboot her whole supporting cast again.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

These Vendetti Superman stories on DC digital first are brilliant. Exactly what I want from Superman comics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moving the topic in here from Funny Panels, the idea of the Riddler going after people who don't deserve their money makes sense, although you do get a question of "where does Batman get involved, except as a gimlet-eyed agent of the status quo?"

Like Poison Ivy already has this problem, and they have kind of face-turned her; and she had the easy enough out of "Your ecological messaging is good, but your misanthropy is not."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Riddler should go back to being a detective. I really liked those issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nessus posted:

Moving the topic in here from Funny Panels, the idea of the Riddler going after people who don't deserve their money makes sense, although you do get a question of "where does Batman get involved, except as a gimlet-eyed agent of the status quo?"

Like Poison Ivy already has this problem, and they have kind of face-turned her; and she had the easy enough out of "Your ecological messaging is good, but your misanthropy is not."
The solution to this in modern stories is just ensure whatever scheme Riddler or Ivy has hatched involves body counts in the 4-6 figures, so you can agree with the message but not the "murder and skin a prime number of corporate lawyers and use them to build a murder maze" or whatever.

What was the last Riddler story where he wasn't just Joker + Trivia/Brainteasers?