Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (20f) have a really weird problem where I can’t call my boyfriend (21m) by his name.

So, I have this really really weird and silly issue where I find it awkward to call my boyfriend by his real name. He has a perfectly common name (it’s not associated with any trauma from my past either) but whenever I text or talk to him, I use the nicknames that we have for each other, like babe etc. In the 2.5 years that we’ve been together, this has always been the case, so somehow it has progressed to the extent where I can ONLY use those nicknames. Just saying his real name out loud feels extremely awkward. I really don’t know why!! For the record, he doesn’t find it disrespectful at all and we were just laughing about it because it’s actually pretty funny, but I would love to be able to say his name again without feeling like I’m calling a stranger. How should I go about fixing this?

Tldr; I have only called my bf by nicknames and that became the norm and now I find it difficult to use his real name, what should I do?

My husband and I are kind of like this. We mostly call each other by our last name or "baby".

I do call him by his name sometimes but it's weird as hell when he calls me by mine. I wouldn't care if he started doing it but it would take a bit to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
How the hell does one meet and date someone without calling them their first name

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't like when anyone says my name, unless it's necessary. Sometimes you'll be talking just one-on-one with someone and they'll keep saying your name, not like to stress or highlight something, just something they include in normal conversation. Feels weird, no need to identify me or specify you're speaking to me, I can figure that much out from the way that we are having a conversation already.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

therobit posted:

The twist is going to be that it actually is the SIL's kid, and OP has concocted a different reality where she believes it's her and her husband's child.

Or the husband is in on it and had a baby with OP specifically to steal it for his sister.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah seeing a person get what is essentially a free pass while you had to struggle is a major source of resentment. This is fairly common among humans

Except the "free pass" is her parents paid for her college. That's it.

All the other stuff is jealously and anger that someone else is successful in life. The OP shits all over the work promotion by calling her a mediocre employee only getting the job because companies promoting internally don't care about work quality I guess?

Julie is happily married? It's bullshit because she was a whore with a reputation and found a guy desperate enough to marry her

Julie has 2 kids? It's bullshit because she didn't have any fertility problems or traumatic medical issues while pregnant

Julie got a promotion? It's bullshit because she's probably a lovely employee who just got lucky because her boss likes her

OP is a toxic fuckbag and probably the source of a lot of her own problems if that's her mentality to other people's success.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 27, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For not apologizing to my roommate after she walked in on me masturbating?

quote:

I know the title sounds weird but it is pretty drat literal.

I live together with 3 people(Me 23M, Kelly 21F, Jake 25M and Tina 26F) in a very large apartment(Very large for my area that is) We have a large kitchen that is connected to the living room and we each got an individual room with an individual bathroom. The rooms are all quite large, but mine and Tina's are the largest in the sense that there is enough space to have a large bed and your own little living room and little kitchen setup, so essentially they are apartments within the larger apartment which results in me and Tina not actually using the main Kitchen and living room all that much, meanwhile Jake and Kelly's rooms are reasonably large but nowhere near large enough to have their own kitchen and living room setup.

​The reason I explained all that is essentially to say that when home me and Tina spend most of our time in our individual rooms where as the other two roommates spend a lot more time using the shared areas as such when the others need to ask something or whatever they generally go to my room, if that makes sense.

​And that is where this happened, now I had a stressful day a while back with college bullshit, obviously I can't go see my girlfriend with everything going on and figured I'd have some me time, you know. Well while I was busy Kelly just bursts in to ask me where I put the mixer or some poo poo and well everything was on full display in full glory so to say. I pretty much just started laughing and told her to give me a moment and she started saying sorry and such. Now I am not particularly shy so I wasn't that bothered so I simply told her to knock next time as she should do regardless and I figured that was the end of it.

​Boy was I wrong, see Kelly and Jake recently started dating and Jake is a bit overprotective because he is really easily intimidated, you know the sort that sees a threat in every other male in the vicinity, he calls it protective, psychiatrists call it insecure. Nice guy in general though don't get me wrong.

​Well a few hours later I went to grab my controller from the living room and Jake starts asking me to sit down with him and Kelly as there is something he needs to discuss. Well to make a long story short, Apparently I need to apologize to Kelly for scaring her and to him for...I am still not understanding that one. I started laughing and told them both to get bent, he got angry and told me he was serious so I told them the entire situation was her fault.

​It has been a few days now and they both still want apologies, Obviously Tina started noticing they were acting weird towards me as well and asked me what happened. Well we both shared a good laugh and she had an even bigger laugh about them needing me to apologize.

​All in all I feel like they are acting absurdly but given how firm they are keeping to this apology crap Am I missing something here? Am I being the rear end in a top hat essentially?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I don't like when anyone says my name, unless it's necessary. Sometimes you'll be talking just one-on-one with someone and they'll keep saying your name, not like to stress or highlight something, just something they include in normal conversation. Feels weird, no need to identify me or specify you're speaking to me, I can figure that much out from the way that we are having a conversation already.

me either, because when I was growing up being called by my name meant that I was in some sort of poo poo. and I do the same when I'm involved with people too. which I guess is a little screwed up but there ya go.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

For some reason I read "masturbating" as "menstruating" in the title and got very confused when the OP said he was 23M.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I do this as a crutch to help me associate you with your name. Sorry in advance, Khanstant.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

Except the "free pass" is her parents paid for her college. That's it.

All the other stuff is jealously and anger that someone else is successful in life. The OP shits all over the work promotion by calling her a mediocre employee only getting the job because companies promoting internally don't care about work quality I guess?

Doesn’t matter if it’s valid or not it’s fairly common.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lmao she wants you to apologize for scaring her with your huge hog. Do it. In front of her boyfriend.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

"Free pass" is something like getting hired by a family friend and given a higher salary. All of the things the OP hated were all things she felt Julie didn't deserve, like a happy marriage, kids, and a work promotion, all of which only the work thing could possibly be unearned.

The rest is just the rantings of an angry and broken human being.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

"Free pass" is something like getting hired by a family friend and given a higher salary. All of the things the OP hated were all things she felt Julie didn't deserve, like a happy marriage, kids, and a work promotion, all of which only the work thing could possibly be unearned.

The rest is just the rantings of an angry and broken human being.

Ignoring the overly strict definition of free pass like I said doesn’t matter

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah seeing a person get what is essentially a free pass while you had to struggle is a major source of resentment. This is fairly common among humans

Okay cool. So should I also be valuing my friendships primarily based on how many sexual partners someone had in high school? I evidently don't have a lot of experience with humans.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fight fight fight

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Droyer posted:

For some reason I read "masturbating" as "menstruating" in the title and got very confused when the OP said he was 23M.

men can menstruate if they want and it's misandry to imply otherwise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay cool. So should I also be valuing my friendships primarily based on how many sexual partners someone had in high school? I evidently don't have a lot of experience with humans.

I feel like you should get friends first. Don’t put the cart before the horse here

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I find that people who don't think they have a role in their own life outcomes tend to be the same people who describe everything in life as "happening to" them rather than what they did or how they reacted to a situation to influence the outcome, and coincidentally they also tend to be the same people who complain about how unfair life is and how people who enjoy success are just lucky.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

defensive computer touchers ahoy

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CharlestheHammer posted:

First off, it's not that common. There are people who are able to feel happiness for their friends' successes without immediately grousing about their own circumstances (for example, all of the other people in that conversation, who the OP claims are also less fortunate, but were all at least able to keep a lid on their jealousy).

More to the point, though, "Doesn't matter if its valid or not" -- wtf? It doesn't matter if her friend is being self centred and immature by immediately thinking of herself when Julie tells her something good that happened to her, it's still wrong of Julie do to it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SoftNum posted:

I do this as a crutch to help me associate you with your name. Sorry in advance, Khanstant.

you know that makes sense when you're talking to someone "new," i'm really terrible at names. i've worked closely with people for months without remembering their names. i worked in a restaurant once for like half a year and only on my last few days learned someone's real name, i just called them by what their ticket said and that was a joke name a manager set before my time there

i wonder how many people i've blown off as friends because they weirded me out with their attempts to be dutiful name-rememberers

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

therobit posted:

I find that people who don't think they have a role in their own life outcomes tend to be the same people who describe everything in life as "happening to" them rather than what they did or how they reacted to a situation to influence the outcome, and coincidentally they also tend to be the same people who complain about how unfair life is and how people who enjoy success are just lucky.

Moreso that anyone who makes a statement like this

quote:

Despite how she acted in high school and college and the reputation she developed, she still found someone who was willing to marry her.

is not just some normal human resentment its being a toxic piece of poo poo.

It's a step from away from how mra's and incels talk about women, only in this case its why does that dumb whore get to have a husband when I can't? Like she's owed a happy marriage by the world for her life choices.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like you should get friends first. Don’t put the cart before the horse here

Oh, I have plenty of friends, but they're apparently not human because I and they are happy when one of them succeeds, regardless of our personal circumstances. Sometimes we even get together to celebrate.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lots of people telling on themselves in resentchat

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

pentyne posted:

is not just some normal human resentment its being a toxic piece of poo poo.

It's a step from away from how mra's and incels talk about women, only in this case its why does that dumb whore get to have a husband when I can't? Like she's owed a happy marriage by the world for her life choices.

I know htis is probably just some slut shaming piece of poo poo but I tried to come up with alternates like "wanted to talk about pie a little to much" or "posted on somethingawful"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SoftNum posted:

I know htis is probably just some slut shaming piece of poo poo but I tried to come up with alternates like "wanted to talk about pie a little to much" or "posted on somethingawful"

Of course if you're a SA forums legacy you're guaranteed admission so it's not like you have to work for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SoftNum posted:

Like I know this is a minor nitpick but how much time do people realistically think you can spend applying to jobs? ESPECIALLY now, but even 6 months ago showing up in person doesn't give you poo poo, and so you spend a couple hours once a week blasting out resumes and waiting for a response.

It's mentally exhausting too. I keep at it, I've got to, but since every system wants me to fill out their form I can't just attach a resume and need to keep spelling out exactly how little I have to offer. Covid's been a relief in that respect because when people don't respond I can pretend it's not my fault.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

hawowanlawow posted:

maybe he has a really hairy rear end, like cleaning peanut butter out of shag carpet
Yeah, if he's got a hairy rear end, eats a lot of dairy, little fiber, too much fat and grease, and not enough water (so the standard American diet) and isn't pregaming with a flushable wipe or bidet, it's not too hard to believe he'd need many wipes. He may also be using bad 1-ply toilet paper.

quote:

also, yeah it's pretty much guaranteed that if a vet bill is $1k+ it's better to just put the pet down
Healthcare for animals should be free. I'll pay more taxes so people don't have to do this kind of calculus.

HMS Beagle posted:

I don't know if you can microchip a baby like you can a pet but this lady needs to look into it.

My [29F] SIL [27F] is pretending online that my infant son [9months] is hers
You can. It's very popular with yuppie helicopter parents who don't know statistics about kidnapping.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (25F) laughed at my BF’s (23M) fetish how do I make it right?

Me and my bf have been dating for a year now, we tried to spice it up by adding our kinks to the bedroom. For me it was BDSM and he was very willing to try it and listen to what I liked and didn’t like.

So it makes it all the worse that I laughed at him not once but twice. After a week or two of asking him what his kink was he finally shared it with me. He’s into giantesses and being tiny. Like super tiny. I laughed like, barrel chest laughed the first time. He got red and left the room.

The next day I tried to make it up to him by trying to play with his fetish, but I couldn’t help it and laughed and made a comment about how silly it was. How do I make it up to him because he’s otherwise a terrific guy and I don’t want him to break up with me because he feels insecure about it but I also feel like it’s just a matter of time until I get the “we need to talk” text

TLDR: see title

If this isn’t the right subreddit lmk which one is

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

LadyPictureShow posted:

I (26F) had my BF’s (32M) baby. Husband (26M) was involved. Bf’s Gf(28F) was not involved.

I feel bad for any kids born to these dumbass parents.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mustang posted:

I feel bad for any kids born to these dumbass parents.

quote:

I 100% did not think this through. He says he wants to but can’t. I don’t believe he wants to in the way he says. I tried being her friend in hopes that we could make it all work, and so I could get a better idea of what I was actually dealing with. These are all questions I need help with. Idk what I’m doing.

You don't say...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don’t want him to break up with me because he feels insecure about it

Well I mean if you didn't laugh in his face twice maybe it could work but lol RIP lady.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Invisible Clergy posted:

Healthcare for animals should be free. I'll pay more taxes so people don't have to do this kind of calculus.

Honestly I think we should probably focus on free healthcare for humans until all of us are covered, and then feed and house everyone before working on affordable healthcare for fluffy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Me and my bf have been dating for a year now, we

I mean I'd laugh too but she's got a lot nerve doing so after starting up kink chicken

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I actually guessed this one right. Great post.

Beachcomber posted:

More content like this please. It's pleasantly pedestrian, like a warm pair of mittens.
I'm glad you enjoy it. I do as well for precisely the same reason. Have another. You have no idea probably have a very accurate idea of how much blatantly fake masturbatory humiliation fantasies I had to wade through to get it.
TIFU by shattering my son's belief in the tooth fairy.

quote:

nsfw
Yes, this actually happened yesterday. My eleven year old is a pretty innocent but very smart boy. As smart as he is, he still holds onto childhood magic like the tooth fairy.

The last time he lost a tooth, which was a few months ago, wifey and I kinda forgot to got cash it in. He asked about it the next day, and we made up something like: "well sometimes she has too many stops to make for one night. She'll come get it tonight."

But we forgot again.

And again...

In our defense, we had a lot going on with a kitchen renovation we were doing ourselves, and the house being in disarray.

Eventually he forgot about it too. Until he went to put new sheets on the bed and found the tooth in a little ziplock bag, slipped down under his mattress (he's on a platform bunk bed).

He came out to the living room holding the bag with a suspicious "hey, what gives" expression. "Look what I just found!" Thinking he had figured it out, I was about to say something when my wife chimed in with "where was it? ...oh, well that's why. She couldn't find it. She'll come a few times but if she can't find it, she won't keep coming. She's really busy!"

He eyed her suspiciously, but went and put it back under his pillow like his Mom told him too. We took care of it that night. Somewhere along the line with his older brother, the amount the tooth fairy leaves evolved to a strange amount of $1.10 and I can't remember why for the life of me.

Fast forward to yesterday when he lost another tooth. He came into the kitchen while I was making lunch and held out his tooth, all excited... "Dad! It came out! Look! It came out!"

Thinking back on the last time, I smiled down on him and said, "Well, buddy... Should I just go ahead and give you the $1.10 right now? I think you pretty much figured it out after all that mess last time, right?"

From the look on his face you'd think I had just casually told him his grandma died or something...

"Whaaaaat!?!?" He says in shock and horror. "What do you mean??" His eyes welling up with tears.

I started to back pedal and apologize, but it was too late. He ran off to his room and started crying in his bed.

I felt horrible. I started thinking about the cascading effect this could have... Will he put it together and realize that the big Kahuna himself? Will this end Santa Claus for him too? Oh crap. We were hoping to get one more year there.

Wifey was out and pulled up shortly after. I had to tell her about it so she'd be prepared for questions. Considering how she loves the childhood magical stuff like that too, I thought she'd be upset with me. But her first thought was of his disappointment.

We discussed it with him a bit later. This morning, while I was making my coffee, he came into the kitchen carying the little treasure box he uses as a piggy bank, stuck it on the counter and said playfully, "Hey! Where's my buck ten!?"

I grabbed my wallet and gave him my last two singles.

TL;DR: I ruined my son's belief in the tooth fairy, but hopefully not Santa as well.
I just about had a heart attack when I saw the nsfw tag, but OP seems to have clicked it by mistake.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Invisible Clergy posted:

gently caress that pets are incredibly stupid as a concept

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

therobit posted:

Honestly I think we should probably focus on free healthcare for humans until all of us are covered, and then feed and house everyone before working on affordable healthcare for fluffy.
Sure. I didn't say we should pursue it instead of healthcare for humans or those other things. They are also nice and good.

TIFU by writing my birth date wrong in a job application

quote:

2020 is a bitch. The pandemic started and people lost their jobs. I am one of those unfortunates who lost their job in the blink of an eye. Ever since I’ve been looking for a job with no luck. But today I came across one that actually is perfect for me. Finally, a job where my qualification and experience match and something I am passionate about.

I thought this is a rare chance and I should jump at the opportunity immediately. The applying process was also not much of a big deal; fill in the job application, and send it with a CV and a cover letter. I did all that and happily hit the send button.

Now any sane person would take a look at the application one last time before sending it. But my lazy rear end was so confident that I simply didn’t bother.

So after an hour of daydreaming about my new job and how I’m gonna get my life back on track, I wanted to take a look at my application one more time to be proud of myself and feel more confident. So, this is where everything goes down the drain. I open the email, admired the somewhat perfect cover letter that I wrote, and when I see my birth date on the job application, I am shocked. I accidentally wrote my birth date - 29 December 2020. The gently caress!!! I could not believe my eyes. How can I be so dumb? So dumb that I wrote my birth date wrong. According to that, I’m not even born yet!!!

I started to get a panic attack, I couldn’t breathe properly and everything started to become dizzy. I had lost a perfectly good opportunity to get a job. I’m sure the hiring person is gonna think I’m a loving nuisance!

Then after an hour of crying and questioning my intelligence, I sent an explanation letter stating that I accidentally wrote my birth date wrong and I’m not a retard. 2020 is indeed, a bitch!

TL;DR I lost my job due to the pandemic and accidentally wrote my birth date 29 December 2020 in a job application.
Imagine a day in this man's life if this is how he reacts to filling out a form wrong.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 27, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Sjs00 posted:

gently caress that pets are incredibly stupid as a concept

"Pets"? You mean animal slaves, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

therobit posted:

It's probably easier to do it the other way around though. People care about cute animals in a way they don't care about other humans, and once we've got universal petcare established we can use it as a lever to get universal care for humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Chocobo posted:

"Pets"? You mean animal slaves, right?

If anything we're slaves to pets.

E yeah I am insanely jealous of my Uncle's dog and how easy it's life is whatever