Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ikanreed posted:

In my defense I was really up my own rear end about my clever idea at the time

I will be yoinking this for any future apologies I need to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
New strip: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1203.html

iirc Belkar was originally completely incapable of tracking, so it's interesting to see that he has put some effort into learning it since.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nice to see a dead character again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If they’re playing Go, then Who’s on first?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aw I missed that on my first reading.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Goddamnit Elan

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Slashrat posted:

iirc Belkar was originally completely incapable of tracking, so it's interesting to see that he has put some effort into learning it since.

maybe there is some time fuckery going on since he appears to see the party's footprints

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

poly and open-minded posted:

maybe there is some time fuckery going on since he appears to see the party's footprints

He sees the party's footprints because the party is there right now walking all over the place and creating new footprints.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

SlothfulCobra posted:

rocketrobot posted:

Aw I missed that on my first reading.

Hinjo ate’nt dead

Edit: oh wait now I see

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Proper halfling bare feet he says? In an area created by a legendary halfling?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

In contrast to ridiculous little wizard slippers.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Every Elan gag is kind of wistful, in that who knows how many more we'll get. Any one could concievably be the last.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Slashrat posted:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0213.html

Yeah, that's right. Alternately, tracking uses your Wisdom modifier, and Belkar has probably put some points into his Wisdom score since his Mark of Justice went off, so it could also be due to that.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Belkar is by far one of my favorite "has learnt and grown" character arcs from any webcomic

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ponsonby Britt posted:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0213.html

Yeah, that's right. Alternately, tracking uses your Wisdom modifier, and Belkar has probably put some points into his Wisdom score since his Mark of Justice went off, so it could also be due to that.

It's definitely mostly conscious effort (aka skill points), since his wisdom score at the start of the strip was 10 at most (it wasn't high enough to cast level 1 ranger spells until he got buffed with owl's wisdom) and even blowing every ability score increase on wisdom since wouldn't make him a better tracker than half the rest of the party.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Slashrat posted:

It's definitely mostly conscious effort (aka skill points), since his wisdom score at the start of the strip was 10 at most (it wasn't high enough to cast level 1 ranger spells until he got buffed with owl's wisdom) and even blowing every ability score increase on wisdom since wouldn't make him a better tracker than half the rest of the party.

That, and he hasn't cast any Ranger spells since. Endure Elements and Jump seem like things Belkar would probably be all over.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It don't stack

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

my dad posted:

Goddamnit Elan

Elan absolutely did this on purpose.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ikanreed posted:

It don't stack

But it does allow easier access to the jugular.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

But it does allow easier access to the jugular.

I think he meant with the ring belkar's presumably still using.

I wonder if it's not just a dungeon level but a whole dungeon through a portal or something behind each door.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's mention of the entire area being "extradimensional stone" or somesuch. Could be that every door leads into a giant Bag Of Holding-type dungeon in a box.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That would open the fun possibility that the gate is actually hidden behind one of the doors.

Not through one of them, but actually physically on the other side of one of the rifts in spacetime that lead into these dungeon caves.

All the trickery of the cup game with the added security of still having to find which door the gate is behind.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The doors are part of an elaborate combination lock and you have to open the right ones and keep them open in order to open the way to the gate

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shugojin posted:

The doors are part of an elaborate combination lock and you have to open the right ones and keep them open in order to open the way to the gate

Ah, another dungeon designed by Westwood Associates.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd always figured that the rift was hidden somewhere else entirely (like in or under the statue), but Roy raised the very fair point that Redcloak was part of the search party and also the one who'd pulled a shell game earlier, so he'd definitely have explored any such venue.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The halfling rogue from Order of the scribble is still alive, right?

Could Belkar have seen her tracks (proper bare halfling feet) and just been too dumb to realize he hadn't stepped there yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Could Belkar have seen her tracks (proper bare halfling feet) and just been too dumb to realize he hadn't stepped there yet?

Belkar isn't particularly stupid, just impulsive and lacking in wisdom. Plus, as I'm sure he would put it. "Belkar *knows* the ladies."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ConfusedUs posted:

Unknown at this time. Halflings live about 150ish years, so if she's still alive, she's probably very, very old. Shojo met Soon as a child, so it's possible she's still around.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ConfusedUs posted:

Serini Toormuck. A few dozen pages back I hypothesized that she is the dart-throwing person.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unknown at this time. Halflings live about 150ish years, so if she's still alive, she's probably very, very old. Shojo met Soon as a child, so it's possible she's still around.

There's also the matter of how exactly Xykon got ahold of her diary.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Hmm, would it be possible that Serini has fallen onto team "destroy the world, save the souls?"

I'd be interesting if she was one of those wanting the gates destroyed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gynovore posted:

Serini Toormuck. A few dozen pages back I hypothesized that she is the dart-throwing person.

seems a high percentage guess, since she's both powerful, not yet seen and interested.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

She's probably dead, but it's possible that she started a group like Draketooth's to watch over the gate.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think a lot hinges on how exactly Xykon and Redcloak got Serini's diary in the first place. That is, after all, how they've been getting around to all the Gates.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

jng2058 posted:

I think a lot hinges on how exactly Xykon and Redcloak got Serini's diary in the first place. That is, after all, how they've been getting around to all the Gates.
Oh, I assumed that was explained in Start of Darkness and nobody ever mentions that bit to the non-buyers

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ultrafilter posted:

She's probably dead, but it's possible that she started a group like Draketooth's to watch over the gate.

She might not be, Dorukan wasn't by the beginning of the comic and he was just a bog standard human.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The diary was in dorukans tower library iirc

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Daikloktos posted:

Oh, I assumed that was explained in Start of Darkness and nobody ever mentions that bit to the non-buyers

There's almost no context to it in SoD either. Xykon just disappears from the plot for a while, and when he comes back he has the diary. It's referred to in dialogue twice:

Xykon posted:

I found the location of one of the other gates--in the diary of a halfling woman, oddly enough.

Xykon posted:

I read every page of that insipid diary I swiped.

(It wasn't in Dorukan's library, since Xykon had it for years before he was able to get into Dorukan's dungeon.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Xykon recovered the diary here but there's no information as to how he found it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I've decided who the big player we only saw for one frame was.

The cult of the hole who thinks the snarl deserves to exist