Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
One thing I don't think this game gives you enough credit for is the short sequence where you play Barret. Considering what comes before it, shooting LITERALLY EVERYTHING EVER FOREVER is extraordinarily cathartic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ace Transmuter posted:

One thing I don't think this game gives you enough credit for is the short sequence where you play Barret. Considering what comes before it, shooting LITERALLY EVERYTHING EVER FOREVER is extraordinarily cathartic.

That explains why Barret was screaming "Suck on this!" to a bunch of shot-up inanimate crates.

Agents are GO! posted:

Dont listen to this guy, he's got no destiny. You should be really mad and have an epic meltdown in the thread over it. The more staff members you call out by name, the more impressed we'll be!

:argh::argh::argh: NOMURAAAAAAA :argh::argh::argh:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

you'd think president shinra would have been more reluctant to drop the plate on the sector that contained his secret box collection

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

What would you consider to be a fun FFVIIR? Genuinely curious here, the thread is more interesting when it isn't just everybody agreeing with each other about the things in the game that they like

Turn based combat system. A materia system closer to the original. Battles more organized and not such clusterfucks of flailing limbs and flying rockets.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Katt posted:

Turn based combat system. A materia system closer to the original. Battles more organized and not such clusterfucks of flailing limbs and flying rockets.

Hmm, I'm afraid asking for a triple-A big-blockbuster-budget remake of FF7 in 2020 to be a turn-based game where characters line up on different sides to take turns whacking each other is just never going to happen. And honestly, I find the new battle system a million times more engaging than turn-based battles ever were, but I guess that's personal preference.

I'm not sure what you mean about the materia system, though- it's basically identical in this game to the original. No, you don't get ALL the different types of materia that the entirety of FF7 included, but it's still just the Midgar portion and they threw in some new materia types to play with too.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Katt posted:

Hey no spoilers. One year I'll finish this stupid game. Once they patch in the fun.

I was gonna go to bat for you because I think all threads in Games should be welcoming of people who like and dislike things about a game

But this post was really dumb

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Battles were chaotic for me early on before I realized that the system was designed to have you built ATB, input a command, and switch characters - pretty much like the original. And if you use classic mode it'll even build ATB for you!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The combat felt messy to me for sure but never necessarily un-fun. I prefer turn based games too but this was a better choice between it and the old style ATB.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Hmm, I'm afraid asking for a triple-A big-blockbuster-budget remake of FF7 in 2020 to be a turn-based game where characters line up on different sides to take turns whacking each other is just never going to happen. And honestly, I find the new battle system a million times more engaging than turn-based battles ever were, but I guess that's personal preference.

Honestly as much I enjoyed the combat in the original back in the day, I always imagined what was happening in the fights was an interpretation of something more elaborate that could not be made due to technical limitations

All the big fights in the remake made me think "yeah that's exactly how I imagined the fight should have been like". The Air Buster fight in particular was a great example of this

The idea of having hyper realistic graphics but limiting the combat back to old school turn based FF row battles is totally unappealing to me. The devs understood that if you make the characters talk, make them move around and act like real people, then the combat has to look and feel more real too

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Moola posted:

Honestly as much I enjoyed the combat in the original back in the day, I always imagined what was happening in the fights was an interpretation of something more elaborate that could not be made due to technical limitations

All the big fights in the remake made me think "yeah that's exactly how I imagined the fight should have been like". The Air Buster fight in particular was a great example of this

The idea of having hyper realistic graphics but limiting the combat back to old school turn based FF row battles is totally unappealing to me. The devs understood that if you make the characters talk, make them move around and act like real people, then the combat has to look and feel more real too

Not to mention how much more they did with some really nothing fights from the original. Airbuster is an EVENT in Remake and it's incredible. Rufus? Imagine anything looking that cool in the old ATB system.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I loved the new Rufus fight... but holy poo poo do I hate his new 'jacket'

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Moola posted:

I laughed out loud when I saw it in full. I was like, is this CEO guy wearing a torn up jacket? But nope, it's just that ridiculously designed.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Moola posted:

Never take fashion advice from Lulu

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
In part 2 we learn that Shinra never loved Rufus because of his terrible fashion choices

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The combat in this game really clicked for me, but that might be from playing a ton of real-time-with-pause games like Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect. Outside of a few fights that require actively dodging enemy attacks, battles are mostly about strategy more than twitch reflexes or skill

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
My one gripe about the combat is it is way too easy for enemies to interrupt your spells and abilities. Every time I had to heal someone in those late games fights, I held my breath.

That, and the Rufus fight can go gently caress right off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moola posted:

all the nomura belts had to go somewhere

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about the materia system, though- it's basically identical in this game to the original. No, you don't get ALL the different types of materia that the entirety of FF7 included, but it's still just the Midgar portion and they threw in some new materia types to play with too.

I mean there's Persona 5, which is a fairly high-profile title with classic turn based JRPG combat. But really it's a resource-management game masquerading as a turn-based JRPG. If you had cheap Tents that you could use in the safe rooms then it would be dull as poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll go to bat for turn-based combat forever--Persona 5's slick, fast-paced, fun combat was already brought up but it's what I'd point to as a recent example of turn-based JRPG combat done very well--but I also enjoyed FF7R's combat for what it is.

The fact is that Final Fantasy hasn't been turn-based in a while, and with a couple of exceptions, I'm not sure it ever wanted to be turn-based. ATB was always a halfway point between turn-based and real time and I got the feeling they'd have gone further into action much earlier if they thought they could pull it off (and/or get away with it). The series's turn to full action in recent years didn't come out of nowhere and I don't think we're going to see it go away, either. I'm perfectly happy about that if future games are as fun as FF7R, especially if they can manage to improve on it, because there's absolutely ample room for improvement.

I've had to turn to other series for turn-based JRPG fun for years already anyway, y'know? Dragon Quest isn't going anywhere, nor is Persona. And really I feel like Bravely Default's entire reason for being is so that Square can fill the SNES-era Final Fantasy void with a "Final Fantasy in all but name" series.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe it's because I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since 8 and I hated 8 for not being as good as 7 :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

But 8 is as good as 7. :colbert:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I found the combat mostly disappointing but serviceable. Blocking never really feels as natural as dodging to me in action games so I had a hard time playing defensively on many fights. Enemy moves are too quick and hard to read, especially in fights with multiple monsters. The -aga offense spells never seemed worth the mana or cast time, not sure if that changes in hard mode. With three characters all piling on numbers it’s hard to tell which actions are actually most effective.

They definitely did a good job of making boss fights feel “epic” with multiple phases and environment interaction. And of course it was 1000x better than the atrocious combat of FFXV.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
In most fights magic is best used as an accessory - to build up the stagger meter. There's a reason you never get a ton of MP in this game. I feel like the only time the -aga spells are worth the cost is when an enemy is already staggered.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eggnogium posted:

I found the combat mostly disappointing but serviceable. Blocking never really feels as natural as dodging to me in action games so I had a hard time playing defensively on many fights. Enemy moves are too quick and hard to read, especially in fights with multiple monsters. The -aga offense spells never seemed worth the mana or cast time, not sure if that changes in hard mode. With three characters all piling on numbers it’s hard to tell which actions are actually most effective.

They definitely did a good job of making boss fights feel “epic” with multiple phases and environment interaction. And of course it was 1000x better than the atrocious combat of FFXV.

Playing defensively is when the weaknesses of the combat really start showing. Using every tick of the atb to get a cure out or use a potion can probably get you through a lot of fights through attrition but it's such a slog and never very fun. It's bad enough that whenever it looked like a fight was going to turn out that way i'd just restart.

On the other hand though the game is super fun when you're on the offensive, and it's usually the best option in just about any fight I feel. Just timing a few counters better, managing your atb more effectively, and hitting staggers just a little bit faster can turn a fight around completely. And when you're doing all that it's about the best FF combat can be.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Hahahahahahahahanajaja

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What was your favorite part about 8? Watching those GF animations ten thousand times or being limited to basic attacks because all the good spells were needed for junctions.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Playing defensively is when the weaknesses of the combat really start showing. Using every tick of the atb to get a cure out or use a potion can probably get you through a lot of fights through attrition but it's such a slog and never very fun. It's bad enough that whenever it looked like a fight was going to turn out that way i'd just restart.

On the other hand though the game is super fun when you're on the offensive, and it's usually the best option in just about any fight I feel. Just timing a few counters better, managing your atb more effectively, and hitting staggers just a little bit faster can turn a fight around completely. And when you're doing all that it's about the best FF combat can be.

The real place this is shown of defensive being a slog and offensive being king is the top secrets fight.

You can go through and plan and scrape through and plan to die at fight 4 basically... Or you can abuse/stack the stagger/weakness mechanics and CHUMP the poo poo out of it in less than 2 minutes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

I tried to like 8 so hard and so many times

But 8 just doesn't want to be liked. It actively fights against enjoyment

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Eggnogium posted:

I really feel this is the fault of pacing. Counterstance and Parry materia fundementally how you play the games and are introduced towards the end rather the beginning. If you want a more action packed game you can, it's just that it's really meant for ng+.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Once I learned that hitting Triangle for punisher stance at the right time would automatically Parry I abused the gently caress out of that and got a lot of mileage rather than poking around at turtle speed in the stance. You also take less damage than guarding to counter in Punisher stance if you do it that way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Canonically the team absolutely clobber the turks every time they meet in the original FF7. Like even on the Pillar support Reno just barely holds them off long enough for the detonation code to go through.

Now, YOU may have struggled with them becauase you were a kid playing the game but canonically he gets emergency evac'd after just barely fulfilling his mission and is put out of commission and bed rest from the rear end kicking you gave him until you get to Gongaga.

Your head canon wasn't actually what happened and I think that might be where you're tripping up over FF7R not being the game you imagined it should be

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Canonically the team absolutely clobber the turks every time they meet in the original FF7. Like even on the Pillar support Reno just barely holds them off long enough for the detonation code to go through.

Now, YOU may have struggled with them becauase you were a kid playing the game but canonically he gets emergency evac'd after just barely fulfilling his mission and is put out of commission and bed rest from the rear end kicking you gave him until you get to Gongaga.

Your head canon wasn't actually what happened and I think that might be where you're tripping up over FF7R not being the game you imagined it should be

Also, and I can't stress this enough: it's a game and if the bosses are overpowered to the point they "ought" to be to make sense, then the game won't be fun and you'll hate it. Other shocking news on this front: if you get shot with bullets, you typically will not be able to continue fighting and later heal it with a quick sit on a bench.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

PT6A posted:

Also, and I can't stress this enough: it's a game and if the bosses are overpowered to the point they "ought" to be to make sense, then the game won't be fun and you'll hate it. Other shocking news on this front: if you get shot with bullets, you typically will not be able to continue fighting and later heal it with a quick sit on a bench.

But what if you hold your gloved arm or pretty walking stick up in a defensive position while being hosed with automatic rifle fire and frag grenades :smugbert: what then huh :smugbert::smugbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ff7r is stormtrooper syndrome: the game

no bullets hit any named characters in the entire thing(outside of combat which is seemingly nonexistent storywise) despite multiple characters wielding chainguns or literally having them welded to their arm

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Katt posted:

I bought a PS4 just for this game and I lost interest about after the church scene.

It has the characters of FF7 and the story is vaguely in that direction but this game pushes none of the buttons that made me love that original game.

This post legit makes me sad, I'm sorry :(

To a couple of the points, what difficulty were you playing on? I feel like the combat was very much a long, looooong learning curve, which may have something to do with it. I recall being frustrated through the first 2/3rds of the game until something just sorta clicked and the major annoyances went away. (I'm not sure if it was unlocking more materia, slots, or if I just actually finally learned something, despite my best efforts :v: )

As for Reno, good on you for smashing him; he was the first boss that I had to retry, and I had to redo the fight like 4 times to get it right.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Thundercracker posted:

I really feel this is the fault of pacing. Counterstance and Parry materia fundementally how you play the games and are introduced towards the end rather the beginning. If you want a more action packed game you can, it's just that it's really meant for ng+.

Yeah I never once used those. Did start spending more time in punisher mode around the time I got to HQ.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TheLoser posted:

My one gripe about the combat is it is way too easy for enemies to interrupt your spells and abilities. Every time I had to heal someone in those late games fights, I held my breath.

That, and the Rufus fight can go gently caress right off.

Rufus was the best boss fight in the game. I love how when I finally managed to land a Braver while he was reloading, Ascension took out his entire health bar and despite this the entire fight felt like a struggle to land this perfect window.

It reminded me of Titan Souls where the bosses almost all die in one hit, but setting up and landing that one hit was an absolute ordeal in a good way.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Katt posted:

Materia system is pretty much the same as the original, except for the removal of the mastered materia spawning new ones and the addition of new action-based independent materia. You don't have to use the latter honestly - you can finish the game without using them.

If you haven't tried playing the game in Classic mode, give that a try if you just want something similar to turn-based battle. If that still doesn't work for you then try Dragon Quest XI as mentioned above.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 27, 2020

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
classic mode really does not replicate being turn based much. it makes your characters attack and defend automatically, but they're very defensive. this is ironic because it is the same difficulty as easy mode so being defensive is less important. you're still going to spend most of the time doing all the stuff on your own anyway.

i played on classic because i too wanted more of a turn based feel but i kinda regret it now because it was just too easy, but i'm not sure i feel like playing the whole game over when the combat didn't click much for me to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zarin posted:

This post legit makes me sad, I'm sorry :(

To a couple of the points, what difficulty were you playing on? I feel like the combat was very much a long, looooong learning curve, which may have something to do with it. I recall being frustrated through the first 2/3rds of the game until something just sorta clicked and the major annoyances went away. (I'm not sure if it was unlocking more materia, slots, or if I just actually finally learned something, despite my best efforts :v: )

As for Reno, good on you for smashing him; he was the first boss that I had to retry, and I had to redo the fight like 4 times to get it right.

I started with the normal difficulty which lasted up until rocket turrets started combo hitting characters for 100% of their HP in 1 second out of nowhere. I switched to easy which turned the game into a lets play of FF7R but where you had to mash buttons to progress.