Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

That's so awful. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

I'm sorry PSP

xcheopis

Aw, geez PSP. I'm so sorry.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
Goondolences PSP.

:ohdear: the twisted metal thread grows ever darker

Escape From Noise

Sorry for your loss PSP

Goons Are Gifts

We're always here for you :glomp:

barfdog

drat, that's horrible. i'm really sorry to hear that PSP.

https://i.imgur.com/FLpAnfS.mp4

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm sorry, PSP. I don't have good words. gently caress cancer.

alnilam

Kief Richards posted:

gently caress cancer.

And not in the fun way

Escape From Noise

I'm going back to work Friday I guess. I kind of don't want to. I'm not really worried for my own safety or anything, I doubt I'm at risk, and even if I am that's just life (or maybe it's death?). I'm just done. I've been waiting to do the job I was hired for for more than a year and every time I ask about the status of our license I get one of two answers: "I don't know" or "Next month". If it wasn't for the need to maintain my visa I would have walked months ago. In August I will have been here for a year. If we don't have a license by then I'm going to be looking for a way out. Although I doubt anyone is going to be hiring. I have to try. I hate food service, especially in a large restaurant.

kuskus

I hope it'll be a nice change of pace, SWR, and while you're working maybe you can toil away on your next plan of action.
I've got an interview Thurs for some long term remote work and while I have enjoyed pondering the socially-constructed world and economy we live in while petting my cat and learning new tools, I'm looking fwd to some hard structure to plan my days around.

Areola Grande

SWR, if persona 5 royal has taught me anything it's that japan will let you have four part time jobs at a time; two during the day and two at night. best of all you can just show up whenever! (or not!)

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Escape From Noise

prepuce repurposed posted:

SWR, if persona 5 royal has taught me anything it's that japan will let you have four part time jobs at a time; two during the day and two at night. best of all you can just show up whenever! (or not!)

I don't think that would be possible with a work visa, as you need a sponsor to prove they're paying you enough to live on, as well as pension and health insurance. If it is possible I don't want to deal with the nightmare that kind of juggling would likely entail.

My area of expertise is sorta niche (brewing) and I'm not sure how many openings there will be or where they even will be. One bigger place is taking applications in July but I think they tend to hire new graduates. Also apparently you get started in places like the sales department which my Japanese definitely is not good enough for. I kind of know the head brewer and one of my college friends works for the parent company so I'll ask around. A no is free and if nothing else it's a chance to brush up on my interviewing skills and update my resume.

Manifisto

very sorry to hear it psp, that's a really tough double whammy.

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Thank you for your kind words, everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Escape From Noise

Thanks for being a good support to us and for your excellent ppsting

Escape From Noise

Universal Studios Japan was allowed to reopen, but not smaller amusement parks. Hmmmmm. I wonder why that might be?:thunk:

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 22, 2020

kuskus

Maybe they can afford calculated risk.

I saw something along the lines of, "I can no longer enjoy the Fallout games because Americans won't stay in the vault that long."

Escape From Noise

It's kind of weird to realize that I may not be able to go back to the US for a fairly long time, unless I don't want to be able to come back to Japan.

Goons Are Gifts

Incredible to say, but I am officially bar posting now. Hello!!!

Numbers still low and not yet really rising, here stuff is getting kinda normal again. Still a ton of stuff to be careful about, still masks, and the bars only work with weird new policies, but now after all this time and the really good numbers we get here in Germany, plus one state wanting to take down most general policies in June as hospitals are empty and new infections being close to 0, it feels like stuff is heading towards the finish line (for now!).

Take that as a motivation to keep on believing this can get better again, my American friends, after three months of lockdown and government intervention on almost every aspect of life, there is a time after this.
We can get through this, friends!!

xcheopis

But we didn't have those things. :(

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Goons Are Great posted:

Incredible to say, but I am officially bar posting now. Hello!!!

Numbers still low and not yet really rising, here stuff is getting kinda normal again. Still a ton of stuff to be careful about, still masks, and the bars only work with weird new policies, but now after all this time and the really good numbers we get here in Germany, plus one state wanting to take down most general policies in June as hospitals are empty and new infections being close to 0, it feels like stuff is heading towards the finish line (for now!).

Take that as a motivation to keep on believing this can get better again, my American friends, after three months of lockdown and government intervention on almost every aspect of life, there is a time after this.
We can get through this, friends!!

nice gag, whatchu drinking?

things are starting to reopen here in san diego too...except in our case they really absolutely should not be reopening!!! ugh.

Goons Are Gifts

xcheopis posted:

But we didn't have those things. :(

I know I'm crazy but I still have hopes that stuff will turn around for you guys and, like, uhm, local governments to be better at that part of the job than, you know, but I didn't mean to poke at that topic. I'm sure you guys can do it, too! Maybe not as nerdy as it worked here (so far), but you will come through, too. :unsmith:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

nice gag, whatchu drinking?

things are starting to reopen here in san diego too...except in our case they really absolutely should not be reopening!!! ugh.

I had Guava and pineapple juice as well as German beer. It was a test run in that bar because they have to follow a whole book of rules handed out by the state ministry for health plus federal guidelines, some of which are a hell for the employees to follow, but at least this way they can officially open up and cut some expenses, so everyone is both annoyed as well as relieved.

I hope you guys don't see my posts about our progress here as trying to make you mad or sad about your government by the way, I just wanted to share some hope and that guidelines work and numbers can go down, too! Sorry if that didn't come across like that.

xcheopis

Our local government is doing pretty well; my job is related to healthcare for the homeless (and other vulnerable people), so I'm familiar with a lot of the work being done.
(Also very stressed and on edge, working on ways to deal with that!)

I am angry that our federal government (and sooo many state/local ones) are being actively malicious.

It's quite nice to hear about things going well!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I had a dream last night I was sitting in a library with someone who seemed to be an authority on stuff who told me there would be a vaccine AND a cure for covid-19 by December.

It was one of the more vivid dreams I've ever had, and it was rather convincing, to boot.

When I dream, I tend to have a hard time remembering sequences of numbers and letters. For example- I could have a dream about the song "Jenny (867-5309)" and in the dream I would misremember Jenny's phone number (this actually happened.) so no matter how hard in the dream to remember Jenny's phone number I cannot. I can't even dial my OWN number in a dream, it's frustrating.

It's pretty remarkable that in the dream, I remembered "covid-19" plain as day, several times during the course of the dream, in fact- without any sort of difficulty remembering the specific alpha-numeric sequence (covid-19).

*fingers crossed*

alnilam

Pot Smoke Prophet

Areola Grande

alnilam posted:

Pot Smoke Prophet

Goons Are Gifts

alnilam posted:

Pot Smoke Prophet

FluffieDuckie

we entered Stage 2 of reopening bc our state isn't a wild irresponsible gently caress up (sorry i spoke so harshly) and wants to do this right

now stores are open but we don't go inside, we pick stuff up on the curb. outdoor businesses like nurserys are open as long as they can limit density, that kind of thing. masks are mandatory which makes me feel safer.

there are still about 10 people in my area that gather on the corner and protest the draconian taking of our rights by the dangerous totalitarian government which is mostly amusing. one of them literally has a sign with a picture of a mask with a big X on it. i wonder how many stages of open we'll need to be before they find something better to do

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

some people just really, really don't like being told what to do. even if it's a good idea they might've done anyways. if you've ever had a cop beat your rear end it kinda sticks with you

it's hard because we *are* being oppressed by our dangerous totalitarian surveillance state... and there is also a plague ravaging humanity. masks are an pretty stupid thing to protest, but there are very legitimate issues people have with things like contact tracing programs and mandatory testing. more than one thing can be terrible at a time, you know :(

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

FluffieDuckie

owlhawk911 posted:

some people just really, really don't like being told what to do. even if it's a good idea they might've done anyways. if you've ever had a cop beat your rear end it kinda sticks with you

it's hard because we *are* being oppressed by our dangerous totalitarian surveillance state... and there is also a plague ravaging humanity. masks are an pretty stupid thing to protest, but there are very legitimate issues people have with things like contact tracing programs and mandatory testing. more than one thing can be terrible at a time, you know :(

i get your point, but this group is mostly upset they have to wear masks and can't get their nails done.

i wish i were joking

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

FluffieDuckie posted:

i get your point, but this group is mostly upset they have to wear masks and can't get their nails done.

i wish i were joking

that is pretty dang dumb and i do not in any way want to endorse their actions BUT i thought of a really good name for their organization if you want to pass it along: the unmasked bandits

maybe don't though, it makes it seem cool and i don't want to encourage that sort of thing

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Escape From Noise

Got a half paycheck this month. I have plenty of savings to dip into.

Edit: Kind of unnerving though. I got the application for the 100k yen payment from the government. Not sure how long that might take.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 25, 2020

google THIS

FluffieDuckie posted:

there are still about 10 people in my area that gather on the corner and protest the draconian taking of our rights by the dangerous totalitarian government which is mostly amusing. one of them literally has a sign with a picture of a mask with a big X on it. i wonder how many stages of open we'll need to be before they find something better to do

I like to imagine the mask protestors will move on to protesting hard hat requirements at construction sites.

FluffieDuckie

google THIS posted:

I like to imagine the mask protestors will move on to protesting hard hat requirements at construction sites.

that's a good point. or child safety seats for the car

Goons Are Gifts

If they protest those hats not being colored in screaming pink, I'll join them tbh

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I work with an idiot who refuses to wear a mask. He's also a nazi. He's also my new boss.

Anybody know of any jobs where a person can sit around and draw and still get paid for it?

Goons Are Gifts

As soon as we finally register BYOB Inc. officially we'll gonna make this happen and get rich by posting like our ancestors wanted us to

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Man, I am just so loving tired of every loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Man, I am just so loving tired of every loving thing.

loving same.

I almost walked out of work today because I just can't take the stress of working during this loving pandemic anymore.