Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1263954316420714498?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Did sting ever come down from the rafters after Owen fell?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

HOT! New Memes posted:

WCW did a bit where a sting dummy fell about a year before Hart’s death. That didn’t age well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HOT! New Memes posted:

didn't WCW do something tasteless a year later at the arena?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They had Kanyon get thrown off the top of a cage. Same arena, just over a year later

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

didn't WCW do something tasteless a year later at the arena?

Yeah they threw Kanyon (hopefully a future Dark Side episode) off a triple cage and IIRC the announcers did the quiet 'this isn't a work' thing that's reserved for real incidents.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

HOT! New Memes posted:

Yes, a handful of times after giving it a good bit of distance.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah they threw Kanyon (hopefully a future Dark Side episode) off a triple cage and IIRC the announcers did the quiet 'this isn't a work' thing that's reserved for real incidents.
And not just in the same arena where many of the same fans had witnessed Owen Hart's death less than a year earlier, but on Owen's birthday. Oops.

There's also a really weird show-closing angle where Sting gets the New Blood bloodbath, beat down, and then left hanging from his rappelling hook.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The figure of 80 feet for the fall sounds like an insane number when you hear it but it's even more insane when you see that distance picture, jesus

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
What I've always wondered was we're there one or two assistants up there with Owen helping him into the rig? If so, did they stay there and watch him drop? Did he step off that walkway in the darkness of the arena and immediately the clip give way to his weight? Chilling.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Two guys, seemingly. The replacement (cheap) rigger WWE hired, and one other. Second guy claims to have looked away for a second when they started lowering Owen, looked back and he was gone.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Martha's book has an account based on the interviews with the riggers. There were 3 people up there with him.

He had to climb over the railing, getting a hand to get his cape over and not caught up. Apparently Owen was sitting there hanging a for a few minutes before it happened. They describe that he was hanging there shoulders parallel to the bottom of the catwalk, then there was an audible click as the shackle opened.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

6 pounds of pressure. my three year old could open that.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I merged the available photos together to give a better depiction of Owen's fall

:nms:https://i.imgur.com/baEIxHw.jpg

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/buCbWap.jpg

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 24, 2020

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
I don't think any one photo has put that distance into complete perspective before. Horrific.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
One thing this week disabused me of was the notion that Owen was about half way down before the clip detached. For some reason that was always what I thought had happened. I honestly had no idea he had basically fallen from the catwalk.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Finally watched it and I just feel sick. I remember everything about the time when I found out Owen died. At school and had 2 friends who were total wrestling obsessed like me at the time, every PPV (monday afternoon for us) we would take turns going to the library during lunch and getting the results online so we could discuss it in class with each other later in the day. But this time I remember the friend whose turn it was this PPV come running out to find us at lunch just saying Owen had died and just feeling so numb. He was one of my absolute favourites and what Jericho said is 100% the way i've felt for so long - Angle, Eddie, Benoit, Regal, Jericho, Edge, Brock even ... all those matches Owen could have had...

gently caress Vince McMahon, I can't wait until there is a big expose style documentary like this about him down the line which hopefully has him remembered as a vile piece of poo poo.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

thepokey posted:

Finally watched it and I just feel sick. I remember everything about the time when I found out Owen died. At school and had 2 friends who were total wrestling obsessed like me at the time, every PPV (monday afternoon for us) we would take turns going to the library during lunch and getting the results online so we could discuss it in class with each other later in the day. But this time I remember the friend whose turn it was this PPV come running out to find us at lunch just saying Owen had died and just feeling so numb. He was one of my absolute favourites and what Jericho said is 100% the way i've felt for so long - Angle, Eddie, Benoit, Regal, Jericho, Edge, Brock even ... all those matches Owen could have had...

gently caress Vince McMahon, I can't wait until there is a big expose style documentary like this about him down the line which hopefully has him remembered as a vile piece of poo poo.

Vince would get a whole season of Dark Side of the Ring his own series.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Unperson_47 posted:

Vince would get a whole season of Dark Side of the Ring his own series.

A 10-part "Last Dance" style miniseries on Vince and WWE would be great

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's difficult to imagine something more hagiographic than The Last Dance, but a McMahon doc like that could take the cake

Maybe something more like OJ: Made in America

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Coaaab posted:

It's difficult to imagine something more hagiographic than The Last Dance, but a McMahon doc like that could take the cake

Maybe something more like OJ: Made in America

At least with a Jordan-type documentary, you can put Vince on record with everything and after the fact people can point out the bullshit

I don't think Vince has ever been confronted on-camera with many of his numerous scandals/failures (ringboy scandal, Savage leaving in 1994, WBF, etc.) and it would be fun to see how he holds up

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

No need to wonder about it, look at what Trump does

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Trump's far more of a coward. You push Vince enough and the mask starts dropping, if his interviews are any indication.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Trump's far more of a coward. You push Vince enough and the mask starts dropping, if his interviews are any indication.

Or sometimes his inner bully comes out by itself, just ask Bob Costas

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That's what happens every time someone who is used to being surrounded by yes men gets told no or questioned for the first time in a long time

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MorrisBae posted:

A 10-part "Last Dance" style miniseries on Vince and WWE would be great

I want Jon Bois and that Chapo dude to handle it like they did with UFC.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

I want Jon Bois and that Chapo dude to handle it like they did with UFC.

wrestlemania 4 and 5 can be treated like ufc 30 and 31

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thing is, as a resident of New York City, it was over two years later that 9/11 happened and there was very little personal footage of the disaster. So many of the idiot WWE defenders point to the lack of video from the incident as if it means loving anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That's what happens every time someone who is used to being surrounded by yes men gets told no or questioned for the first time in a long time

Yeah, Vince and Trump are the same basic guy, its just that Trump is a fat guy who has spent his entire life around suits and Vince is a roided up guy who has spent his life around jocks so they both think they're tough guys but only one of them has decades of instinct to actually jump at someone. Because like most of us, even Trump, know that poo poo doesn't actually fly in society. But Vince ain't even lived in society most of his life.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Neither Trump or Vince ever got that invite to Little St. James they so desperately want and it eats them up inside.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thing is, as a resident of New York City, it was over two years later that 9/11 happened and there was very little personal footage of the disaster. So many of the idiot WWE defenders point to the lack of video from the incident as if it means loving anything.
Wait, what do you mean by "personal footage," exactly? There's a ton of non-news footage, to the point there was even an HBO documentary about it.

Unless you mean "shot by an individual and not one of the many film crews operating NYC at any given moment."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How does the show get WWE footage? Doesn't WWE own the rights to it?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

They can use it under fair use because they are a documentary series.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Quote from Edge on that night from a show called Inside the Ropes:

quote:

We’d actually left the building because we weren’t on the show and I think Luna called Dave (Gangrel) because we were riding together and told us and we went to the hospital. Jeff was the only one there and we just sat. We knew but we just sat there. We sat there for hours just thinking that can’t be real, how is that real? Even to this day, it just doesn’t seem real.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/05/owen-hart-bonus-footage-to-air-on-vice-tv-670728/

TL;DR tonight at 8:30PM Eastern is an extended cut of the Owen ep with some bonus footage included; afterwards is the After show, and after that is the extended cut of the Brawl For All ep with its own bonus footage included; in the aftermath of last week's ep being the most-watched ep in the TV station's history, PWInsider says the show's been picked up for a season 3 with official confirmation expected in the next few months when filming can actually realistically begin. Last month they'd talked to Deadline about expanding the show if/when it continued https://deadline.com/2020/04/vice-dark-side-of-the-ring-expand-franchise-1202912188/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dark Side of Chess gonna be lit

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It's a great series, my partner who only started watching wrestling around the time of Becky Lynch's rise really loves it. It really turns you on to a bunch of stories that wrestling fans take for granted as common knowledge, and even long time fans like me have learned some things.

It has a small unfortunate side effect of making Cornette look a lot better than who he really is, but I don't really see the need to pop that bubble, they're never going to be listening to Cornette's show anyway.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

It's a great series, my partner who only started watching wrestling around the time of Becky Lynch's rise really loves it. It really turns you on to a bunch of stories that wrestling fans take for granted as common knowledge, and even long time fans like me have learned some things.

It has a small unfortunate side effect of making Cornette look a lot better than who he really is, but I don't really see the need to pop that bubble, they're never going to be listening to Cornette's show anyway.

Jim's actually super knowledgeable. He just happens to be a lovely person.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jim's actually super knowledgeable. He just happens to be a lovely person.

The Owen episode made him look like a super super decent guy, and I've honestly forgotten about some of the dumb/racist things he's done in the past. Cornette has always struck me as a basically decent person who can't process that he might say wrong/dumb things, and thinks such things can't possibly be his fault.

Then again

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1264867773580263424

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

The Owen episode made him look like a super super decent guy, and I've honestly forgotten about some of the dumb/racist things he's done in the past. Cornette has always struck me as a basically decent person who can't process that he might say wrong/dumb things, and thinks such things can't possibly be his fault.

Then again

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1264867773580263424

Bobby Eaton was an incredibly talented worker, but the man had the personality of blank sheet of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thank you for being fair to Jim