Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Style posted:

[*]Cyborg is the heart of the movie - A lot of his stuff was cut from the theatrical version. Joss apparently hated him.

I can see why Whedon would not be a fan of Snyder's work, given that the former despises grimdark and can't help cheapening anything serious in his screenplays with a joke, but there's no evidence to suggest they didn't get along or even interacted with each other at all during the production of justice league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Alan Smithee posted:

Or just...spoiler tag it

I assume he's talking about the scene where a dude gets kidnapped, stripped, and covered in a resin before having his flesh sewn into a tapestry of other dead, plastic-covered bodies. The dude then wakes up and tries to rip his body out of the tapestry of corpses before running headlong into a ravine.

I find it difficult to pick out the most unpleasant moment in Hannibal between the man cutting off his own face, the forced self-cannibalism, and the living mushroom people. It was an extremely nasty show and I have no idea how it got to air on NBC.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Clowner posted:

I can see why Whedon would not be a fan of Snyder's work, given that the former despises grimdark and can't help cheapening anything serious in his screenplays with a joke, but there's no evidence to suggest they didn't get along or even interacted with each other at all during the production of justice league

To clarify, Joss hated Cyborg, not Zack. Apparently the only character he did like was Wonder Woman.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Didn’t whedon have some much maligned draft of Wonder Woman where she goes into a bar and pole dances or some shot and all the guys male gaze but it’s cool cuz she’s her own woman

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

QuoProQuid posted:

I assume he's talking about the scene where a dude gets kidnapped, stripped, and covered in a resin before having his flesh sewn into a tapestry of other dead, plastic-covered bodies. The dude then wakes up and tries to rip his body out of the tapestry of corpses before running headlong into a ravine.

I find it difficult to pick out the most unpleasant moment in Hannibal between the man cutting off his own face, the forced self-cannibalism, and the living mushroom people. It was an extremely nasty show and I have no idea how it got to air on NBC.

I mean I think the first moment everyone was like "wait what the gently caress was that" was the "angels" with wings cut from their skin and held up with wire, which was definitely nightmare fuel. You're right about the face-eating being the worst part though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*indi gets shot by his son, falls into Zulu reactor*

His son is treated like a heartthrob despite massacring an entire Pygmy tribe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just listened to a podcast about the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and now I'm even more excited to see The Green Knight. I'd happily buy it on VOD for many dollars.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't see how anyone could be reasonably excited for a Jones film. Just, like, give us an animated series and Ford can sleepwalk his way through the voice acting and we'll be far better off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just listened to a podcast about the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and now I'm even more excited to see The Green Knight. I'd happily buy it on VOD for many dollars.

What podcast?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

More Labyrinth, but in a post-Bowie world they got a big hole to fill to pull this off

quote:

Scott Derrickson Set To Direct ‘Labyrinth’ Sequel For TriStar Pictures; Maggie Levin To Write Script

Scott Derrickson, who passed on reprising as director on Dr. Strange 2 over creative differences, has found a new fantasy franchise to take on. He has been set by TriStar Pictures to direct the sequel to Jim Henson’s Labyrinth. Maggie Levin, who wrote and directed Into the Dark, and My Valentine for Hulu, will write the script.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/labyrinth-sequel-scott-derrickson-director-maggie-levin-write-script-doctor-strange-1202943188/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://twitter.com/Wakaliwood/status/1265310603889033216

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have a finger on the pulse of Wakaliwood at the moment? I'm curious if they're leaning into the whole "Westerners watch these to laugh at them" idea like the goofy-rear end movie posters or if they're still focused on making fun flicks and building an industry.

It would be silly not to make Connelly the new Goblin Queen.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 26, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

As long as the plot is not "Sarah Connelly's daughter retreads the path her mother took 34 years ago," I will tolerate it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well of course not. It will be her step-daughter to be in line with the first film.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean I think the first moment everyone was like "wait what the gently caress was that" was the "angels" with wings cut from their skin and held up with wire, which was definitely nightmare fuel. You're right about the face-eating being the worst part though.

And the only problem the network censors had with the angel scene was that originally you could see their buttcracks. Which Fuller "fixed" by covering them with blood.

American morality in a nutshell, folks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AceOfFlames posted:

And the only problem the network censors had with the angel scene was that originally you could see their buttcracks. Which Fuller "fixed" by covering them with blood.

American morality in a nutshell, folks.

IIRC the opening shot of the first episode with the girl on the antlers did something similar. I think the networks objected to side boob or something, so they just increased the violence to cover it up.

Hannibal (TV) is definitely a "How did this get greenlit" but not because of a lack of quality.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Jennifer Connelly returns to the Labyrinth to finally marry Hoggle, but Hoggle's new fiancee Mary Elizabeth Winstead is not going to give him up without a fight! Things take a turn when new Goblin Queen Thandie Newton arrives to also marry Hoggle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robot Style posted:

To clarify, Joss hated Cyborg, not Zack. Apparently the only character he did like was Wonder Woman.

And for a moment I was wondering if Joss is lowkey racist or just hates him for being a jock.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Probably because Joss can't relate to pain and grim pathos unless it happens to a woman.

And by relate, I mean get aroused by.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Goblin King Iggy Pop

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

The Arrowverse seems to be rooted at CW and even Stargirl which has nothing to do with it is airing there.

HBO Max's DC show that I know so far seems to be Green Lantern and Justice League Dark, and those might even be part of the movie universe.

HBO Max is going to also be airing the second season of Doom Patrol (and I assume s1 will be on there too) which is technically part of the Arrowverse seeing as in Crisis they showed a clip from it as part of an alternate universe.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

muscles like this! posted:

HBO Max is going to also be airing the second season of Doom Patrol (and I assume s1 will be on there too) which is technically part of the Arrowverse seeing as in Crisis they showed a clip from it as part of an alternate universe.

Yeah, this is what I meant earlier. HBOMax is buying the streaming rights to all of the future seasons of the Arrowverse shows as part of their attempts to be the go to place for DC content. Batwoman will also only stream on HBOMax.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

If you count that, all of DC live action media is part of it because the crossover also had appearances from Ezra Miller as The Flash and Helena Kyle from the 1990s Birds of Prey TV show.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jennifer Connelly returns to the Labyrinth to finally marry Hoggle, but Hoggle's new fiancee Mary Elizabeth Winstead is not going to give him up without a fight! Things take a turn when new Goblin Queen Thandie Newton arrives to also marry Hoggle

marge-simpson-writes-SEXY-RESULTS.gif

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmyleg posted:

What podcast?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001kr8

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The MSJ posted:

If you count that...
Yeah the Flarrowverse was making pretty much any DC media part of the multiverse. I.e. the picture of Keaton Bat Wayne in a newspaper with "GOTHAM SOCIALITE TO WED SELINA KYLE" on it.

I bet they would have folded BTAS, JLU, and SuperFriends in if they had the time and money.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rochallor posted:

99% certain it's the final moments of episode 1, season 2, but I haven't watched it since it was on

There's so many insane sequences in that show that I'm sort of guessing. My pick would have been faceless hannibal. It's not the goriest scene, but I found it to be really unsettling. Especially the way Mads moves around an extremely dangerous killer with absolutely no fear or concern. Or how friendly he was with the guy he's killing in that scene.

It was a really loving good show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

CG Bowie returns to our world to reclaim Jennifer Connelly

She’s too old so he leaves

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Snowman_McK posted:

There's so many insane sequences in that show that I'm sort of guessing. My pick would have been faceless hannibal. It's not the goriest scene, but I found it to be really unsettling. Especially the way Mads moves around an extremely dangerous killer with absolutely no fear or concern. Or how friendly he was with the guy he's killing in that scene.

It was a really loving good show.

The best scene in Hannibal was a callback to Seven

The mushroom garden

How that got on network tv

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

King Kong? No, Daddy Kong.

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1263267525917315072?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

More Labyrinth, but in a post-Bowie world they got a big hole codpiece to fill to pull this off

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

Goblin King Iggy Pop

Janelle Monae

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Janelle Monae

Elon Musk

A battle for Grimes collaboration

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The best scene in Hannibal was a callback to Seven

The mushroom garden

How that got on network tv

That was pretty amazing too. Almost every episode had some sequence or shot that, had it appeared in a film, been that scene that people bring up years later. The one that very few mention was the bee and honey scene late in the first season, with Amanda Plummer talking about filling people with light. It's actually awesome but barely stands out among the rest.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowman_McK posted:

That was pretty amazing too. Almost every episode had some sequence or shot that, had it appeared in a film, been that scene that people bring up years later. The one that very few mention was the bee and honey scene late in the first season, with Amanda Plummer talking about filling people with light. It's actually awesome but barely stands out among the rest.

Hey NBCU, lets get another season of Hannibal on Peacock. Do it you cowards.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey NBCU, lets get another season of Hannibal on Peacock. Do it you cowards.

Apparently the showrunner is an insane perfectionist and that was part of why Hannibal was cancelled and why he got booted from American Gods, which immediately stopped having any reason to watch it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowman_McK posted:

Apparently the showrunner is an insane perfectionist and that was part of why Hannibal was cancelled and why he got booted from American Gods, which immediately stopped having any reason to watch it.

Yes Bryan Fuller. Read up on what happened to him with Star Trek Discovery.. He was also working on the Amazing Stories reboot for Apple TV and left that project.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FilthyImp posted:

I bet they would have folded BTAS, JLU, and SuperFriends in if they had the time and money.

They basically did, what with having Kevin Conroy playing a live action Bruce Wayne and also, the whole Hall of Justice/Gleek teaser in the final episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes Bryan Fuller. Read up on what happened to him with Star Trek Discovery.. He was also working on the Amazing Stories reboot for Apple TV and left that project.

I still wonder how much is true and how much is studio propaganda.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Season 1 and 2 of Hannibal are some of the best TV I've seen in my life, so I'm like "give him whatever he wants"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jose Oquendo posted:

nothing will match the insanity of the production of American Gods. Fuller had everything to play with in Season 1 and created insanely good episodes where the budget has to be through the roof, got fired due to overspending which resulted in a bunch of people (Gillian Anderson, Kristin Chenoweth) leaving the show and causing Season 2 to be "a bunch of people meandering around in one location talking" and confusing cast changes, and now Season 3 may be in limbo since Orlando Jones came out to tell everyone he got fired from the main cast by a new Peak White Male showrunner.

Those were some great 8 episodes though.