Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

abraham linksys posted:

if I get a USB charger beefier than this 12W one the iPad 10.2 comes with, will it charge faster? i've been spoiled by USB-C and don't expect miracles but it seems like this thing takes 6+ hours to charge while in use, and of course the Lightning cable that comes with it is like 3 feet long so I can't easily keep it plugged in while using it. it also charges hilariously slow when plugged into my Macbook with a USB A->C adapter, to the point I'm surprised it even bothers showing the charge icon (and, to be fair, I get that tablet batteries are way bigger than phones and this is basically like if you plugged a laptop into another laptop to charge)

that said, positives?:

* it has served me well today in taking Zoom calls, so maybe I will convince my work to pay for part of it
* I like that with the Firefox app I can toss a tab from my laptop to my iPad or back very easily. plus it has a widget for opening a new tab from the home screen, which is nice because the Spotlight search only opens tabs in Safari, because of course it does. I suppose Apple has sidestepped the BBQ default browser issue with vendor lock-in
* the Apple Arcade games I've played so far are fun and while I think most are either on Switch or coming soon, at least it's way cheaper to play them here. apparently you can just loving connect a Dual Shock 4 to an iPad now which is the most pragmatic thing I have ever seen Apple do, after years of failing to convince anyone to buy a tablet-specific controller because who the gently caress would do that. I dunno if I can then like AirPlay from my iPad to my Macbook so I can play it on a larger monitor? I assume this would not support Chromecast for playing on a TV, and no I will not buy an Apple TV

I might buy a Logitech K380 for doing typed notes directly on this iPad; I'm kinda shocked by how universally-liked that keyboard is (sans expected cheap Logitech reliability problems) considering the keys look like garbage, but for $30 it's worth a gamble I guess. there's some neat cheap compact Bluetooth mechanical keyboards out there but they all appear extremely backordered for understandable reasons

You can just play Apple Arcade games straight on your MacBook, which also should work ootb with your DualShock 4/Xbone controller.

I think it saves your progress between devices too.

I’m pretty sure Safari’s still the better browser but that’s entirely apple’s intentional doing with their WebKit licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can just play Apple Arcade games straight on your MacBook, which also should work ootb with your DualShock 4/Xbone controller.

I think it saves your progress between devices too.

I suppose it says a lot about the state of Mac gaming that at no point in the last year did I ever hear a single person mention that Apple Arcade works on Mac :psyduck:

I guess it's new with Catalina, so maybe it's my fault for not upgrading yet, but eesh. Does it only have games that opted into a Mac release?

also my big problem with Firefox is that they built this separate Firefox Focus app that has adblocking built in, and you can configure Firefox Focus as a content blocker for Safari so Safari has ads blocked, but I can not find anyway to use adblocking in the actual Firefox app. I lived without adblock on mobile but now that I'm seeing desktop sites with way bigger ads on iPad it's way more annoying

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 26, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

abraham linksys posted:

if I get a USB charger beefier than this 12W one the iPad 10.2 comes with, will it charge faster? i've been spoiled by USB-C and don't expect miracles but it seems like this thing takes 6+ hours to charge while in use, and of course the Lightning cable that comes with it is like 3 feet long so I can't easily keep it plugged in while using it. it also charges hilariously slow when plugged into my Macbook with a USB A->C adapter, to the point I'm surprised it even bothers showing the charge icon (and, to be fair, I get that tablet batteries are way bigger than phones and this is basically like if you plugged a laptop into another laptop to charge)

The 2019 iPad charges at up to 30W and you will see a huge difference. I use a RAVPower 30W USB-C PD charger and it charges my 10.5" iPad Pro in no time. https://amazon.com/dp/B07GNHJN9H/

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 26, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Yes. For example, I bought this one last year (which is overkill) and it'll fully charge the 12.9 pro in a couple of hours

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The 2019 iPad charges at up to 30W and you will see a huge difference. I use a RAVPower 30W USB-C PD charger and it charges my 10.5" iPad Pro in no time. https://amazon.com/dp/B07GNHJN9H/

well, I assume the 10.2 iPad isn't going to support USB-C PD because the 10.2 iPad is... not USB-C? or is it able to do fast charges via a USB-C to lightning cable?

the cable/adapter that ships with the iPad 10.2 is lightning to USB-A, because of course it is, so I also have to factor in another $20 for lightning to USB-C :shepface:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SlowBloke posted:

You are off your rocker, the biggest ipad markets are education, point of sale and media consumption(all running on the lowest end ipad/ipad mini) where being thin is actually detrimental(as you will need to fit them in a shock/child/manchild proof case anyway, so who cares about cutting one extra millimeter) and cost is king. Clueless c-level that need an all apple ecosystem from iphone to apple chair wheels are a drop in the ocean.

If i had to ask finance to buy all of our ipad users extra iphones rather than our stock androids due to the ipad "subpar" rear cam, it would incur an extra expense so big we might as well give them surface pros.

Man everyone who responded negatively to my post seemed to miss that I was talking about iPad Pros specifically, not all iPads. Context matters, we were talking about the Pros at the time.

Personally I get the feeling that most people rocking a current-gen Pro have iPhones, and frankly, probably pretty good ones, hence why I don't think those users need a camera on their tablet. That space could be used to remove the bump, provide more battery, whatever they wanted, and it would significantly decrease material cost.

Like, even if you do have a current gen Pro, and even if you love your ipad camera (btw I'm interested in who you are if you are this person) do you want to pay for that camera when your phone has a better, constantly improving camera gen over gen, and is usually right by you?

I honestly don't get why this is even controversial. You replace your iPad Pro, what, every 3-5 years, maybe? The iPad camera is going to lag behind compared to just the iPhone 12 camera, let alone next year's camera and so forth.

It's like Carplay- it uses your phone, so it always has the best features. If Carplay was a module you just inserted into the car, it would suck in like 4 seconds compared to everything on the market.

That's why if you're a Pro-level Apple user, and have a thousand dollar iPad Pro, maybe its ok to assume you have an iphone too, and hey, maybe even that you upgrade that iphone every 2-3 years, so maybe just use the better, upgradeable camera you keep in your pocket instead of the tablet camera you won't replace until 2025.

I'm not even saying that the camera-free model has to be the only one, just give us the option. Except, I'm guessing if they released a cheaper model without a camera, so few people would buy the camera version it would be gone in a couple of generations.

The cheap iPads can keep their camera, it makes way more sense there. But if the camera on my iPad Pro fell off tomorrow, I wouldn't give a single poo poo. And as for the Edu/Corp argument, these people aren't furnishing Pros in the vast majority of cases, so it's unimportant to the overall debate.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 26, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

But if the camera on my iPad Pro fell off tomorrow, I wouldn't give a single poo poo.

This sentence has always been said by people that never experienced an ipad 1. The lack of cameras cripple the device to a overglorified kindle/archos, jumping from a ipad 1 to ipad2 was night/day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

This sentence has always been said by people that never experienced an ipad 1. The lack of cameras cripple the device to a overglorified kindle/archos, jumping from a ipad 1 to ipad2 was night/day.

Front facing yes. Rear one? Lol absolutely not.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Front facing yes. Rear one? Lol absolutely not.

A good number of ipad as a point of sale systems rely on the rear camera for qr/barcode scans...doing selfies on a ipad to scan codes would be awful

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the nice thing about the tablet fad completely dissipating is that the scourge of idiots at concerts holding up tablets to take videos has been vanquished. with this being the case i suspect most people really don't need a rear facing camera on their tablet anymore

of course now it's idiots holding up 6.6" phones that are just annoying, but still

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I appreciate the bigger viewfinder when scanning stuff on the iPad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

A good number of ipad as a point of sale systems rely on the rear camera for qr/barcode scans...doing selfies on a ipad to scan codes would be awful

POS systems aren't buying iPads Pro.

But also the top of the line model lacking a feature the rest have would be silly.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I dunno if I can then like AirPlay from my iPad to my Macbook so I can play it on a larger monitor? I assume this would not support Chromecast for playing on a TV, and no I will not buy an Apple TV

New page and all but if you’re still interested in this functionality, I used to use a program on my MBP called Airserver that lets you mirror/airplay an iPhone or iPad to the MacBook screen. They offer a 30 free trial period also (15 bucks one-off after).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nice

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Taima posted:

Man everyone who responded negatively to my post seemed to miss that I was talking about iPad Pros specifically, not all iPads. Context matters, we were talking about the Pros at the time.

Personally I get the feeling that most people rocking a current-gen Pro have iPhones, and frankly, probably pretty good ones, hence why I don't think those users need a camera on their tablet. That space could be used to remove the bump, provide more battery, whatever they wanted, and it would significantly decrease material cost.

Like, even if you do have a current gen Pro, and even if you love your ipad camera (btw I'm interested in who you are if you are this person) do you want to pay for that camera when your phone has a better, constantly improving camera gen over gen, and is usually right by you?

I honestly don't get why this is even controversial. You replace your iPad Pro, what, every 3-5 years, maybe? The iPad camera is going to lag behind compared to just the iPhone 12 camera, let alone next year's camera and so forth.

It's like Carplay- it uses your phone, so it always has the best features. If Carplay was a module you just inserted into the car, it would suck in like 4 seconds compared to everything on the market.

That's why if you're a Pro-level Apple user, and have a thousand dollar iPad Pro, maybe its ok to assume you have an iphone too, and hey, maybe even that you upgrade that iphone every 2-3 years, so maybe just use the better, upgradeable camera you keep in your pocket instead of the tablet camera you won't replace until 2025.

I'm not even saying that the camera-free model has to be the only one, just give us the option. Except, I'm guessing if they released a cheaper model without a camera, so few people would buy the camera version it would be gone in a couple of generations.

The cheap iPads can keep their camera, it makes way more sense there. But if the camera on my iPad Pro fell off tomorrow, I wouldn't give a single poo poo. And as for the Edu/Corp argument, these people aren't furnishing Pros in the vast majority of cases, so it's unimportant to the overall debate.

Yeah but.. having a "Pro" product missing a huge feature in the cheaper products seems .. backwards?And irritating. I took a pic this weekend of my girlfriend's cat poking its head out of a cat tube with my iPad Pro that never would have been captured if I had to leave the area and find my iPhone in the next room, fumble with two devices and take the photo.

I think you're making a couple assumptions here that aren't true in some important use cases.

- The iPhone is always with you.

It's not. Some people do set it down and use the iPad far enough away from it that it's cumbersome to find and use the phone. Sometimes a photo or document just needs to be scanned. If the camera's slightly worse than the iPhone, so be it.

- Using one device to initiate a photo taken on another device is a seamless experience.

No way. Can you imagine trying to do this more than once: initiating a camera mode in the iPad, putting it down, picking up the iPhone, selecting some kind of AirPlay-like option to beam the camera over to the iPad and then taking a photo. Yikes. You would just use the iPhone at that point, which makes a feature like that completely meaningless.

Also, using the rear camera during FaceTime or Zoom or whatever meetings to show what you're looking at can be helpful. Similarly, this is a great point:

hatty posted:

I appreciate the bigger viewfinder when scanning stuff on the iPad

I scanned some old photos and documents in and this was so nice. It let me get a better idea of how the scans were going to turn out/were blurry/etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
“iPad Pros shouldn’t have cameras.”

2 pages of pretty straight forward answers as to why that’s a bad idea.

“No really guys, having a camera on an iPad Pro is a bad idea. I’m gonna double down on my statement against all odds.”

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Duckman2008 posted:

“iPad Pros shouldn’t have cameras.”

2 pages of pretty straight forward answers as to why that’s a bad idea.

“No really guys, having a camera on an iPad Pro is a bad idea. I’m gonna double down on my statement against all odds.”

Do you think this type of comment makes you smart or interesting? I was, and am, happy to have an interesting debate about it, in my spare time, because we're just idiots on a paid internet forum. gently caress off.

Last Chance posted:

- Using one device to initiate a photo taken on another device is a seamless experience.

No way. Can you imagine trying to do this more than once: initiating a camera mode in the iPad, putting it down, picking up the iPhone, selecting some kind of AirPlay-like option to beam the camera over to the iPad and then taking a photo. Yikes. You would just use the iPhone at that point, which makes a feature like that completely meaningless.

If having an iPhone was assumed, Apple would have wide leeway to make it much more simple than you're imagining.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Folks, I wouldn't bother engaging Taima in any sort of discussion. This is the user who thought it was ok to continue using an Apple Watch with a bulging battery.

Man I don't even know how to respond to this except to make a broader point that if having an opinion you don't like means I can no longer discuss anything, I guess we're in a pretty bad place as a forum that ostensibly exists to facilitate discussion.

I'm sorry that my opinion got you so upset that you're going into other threads to shut people down.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 27, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Folks, I wouldn't bother engaging Taima in any sort of discussion. This is the user who thought it was ok to continue using an Apple Watch with a bulging battery.

Taima posted:

So I have a weird rear end question.

I have a series 1 aluminum Apple Watch that got the swollen battery issue. Of course, Apple wouldn't repair it, god forbid. I have a series 5 SS now, but I want to give this watch to a friend.

Well I reglued it with Gorilla Glue, and it seems stable but the watch computer itself seems super hosed up. I got the red/green snake of death, and now when I click the wheel, it makes what sounds like morse code (little beeps) and then says something insanely weird in mandarin. Is my old watch hosed?

They refuse to believe this is a bad idea because there's no documented cases of an Apple Watch specifically causing a danger due to a bulging battery.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Taima posted:

If having an iPhone was assumed, Apple would have wide leeway to make it much more simple than you're imagining.

That's true, I suppose. There could be a more seamless/automatic way to do it in software, but at the end of the day you're still juggling two physical devices to take one picture and that's a poor experience.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Do you think this type of comment makes you smart or interesting? I was, and am, happy to have an interesting debate about it, in my spare time, because we're just idiots on a paid internet forum. gently caress off.

Doesn’t make me smart or interesting , but I did think it was funny.

That said , yeah we are all idiots on a paid Internet forum, so if that cut too deep, my apologies sir.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

imagine hating a camera bump that much that you want it ripped out of all ipads in the most expensive product tier instead of just getting a case or something

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Before you can comment on the camera bump or the screen notch you need to post a list of what successful products you have designed and how many have been sold worldwide.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

imagine hating a camera bump that much that you want it ripped out of all ipads in the most expensive product tier instead of just getting a case or something

I get not caring about the camera bump, but imagine arguing physics says it’s necessary lol. Also, if you want to eradicate the bump, that removing the camera makes more sense than increasing the width of the thing to make it flush and add like 50% to the battery size.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The whole “need X to use Y” thing with Apple is an odd point to make/ask for when Apple has spent the last five years moving in the complete opposite direction.

At the start you needed iTunes (PC) to do anything with the iPhone. Eventually we moved to OTA updates and with iCloud the iPhone is now a fairly independent device.

The Apple Watch required an iPhone to function. With celular and watchOS 4 I believe they can now function Without ever needing a phone. Hell, I think the last watchOS made the watch App Store a watch app so you don’t even need a phone to get new poo poo.

iPads are moving away from iOS itself with iPadOS, mouse support, and kinda become this bridge between laptop and tablet. They’re not there yet but it is very clearly moving in a direction where iPads will be their own thing in a couple of years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Duckman2008 posted:

“against all odds”

Well take a look at me now.
There’s just an empty space.
There should be a camera here
That can sense IR
To take photos of my face.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ok Comboomer posted:

That can sense IR

As a lifelong unironic Phil Collins fan I heartily enjoyed this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole “need X to use Y” thing with Apple is an odd point to make/ask for when Apple has spent the last five years moving in the complete opposite direction.

At the start you needed iTunes (PC) to do anything with the iPhone. Eventually we moved to OTA updates and with iCloud the iPhone is now a fairly independent device.

The Apple Watch required an iPhone to function. With celular and watchOS 4 I believe they can now function Without ever needing a phone. Hell, I think the last watchOS made the watch App Store a watch app so you don’t even need a phone to get new poo poo.

iPads are moving away from iOS itself with iPadOS, mouse support, and kinda become this bridge between laptop and tablet. They’re not there yet but it is very clearly moving in a direction where iPads will be their own thing in a couple of years.

I think it was in the iOS 13.5 beta but was pulled (I think we'll see it in 14) but they have an internet recovery mode like MacOS to do iOS reinstalls now. So you really won't ever have to connect the phone to a computer.

Once they bring this feature to Watch OS, they could drop the phone requirement for those as well.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

will say i actually laughed out loud when i plugged my ipad into my mac for the first time and itunes opened automatically

easy to turn off but what a strangely anachronistic thing in 2020. who is using desktop itunes sync? why does any of that functionality still exist in desktop itunes? even the actual music management part seems odd when they could just move it all to the cloud now (which i guess they did with itunes match, but even that's weird since they might as well just do direct mp3 uploads at this point, space is cheap)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Well only people using older Mac OS since iTunes is gone and replaced by Finder for syncing and more importantly updating and restoring any iPhone or iPad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

will say i actually laughed out loud when i plugged my ipad into my mac for the first time and itunes opened automatically

easy to turn off but what a strangely anachronistic thing in 2020. who is using desktop itunes sync? why does any of that functionality still exist in desktop itunes? even the actual music management part seems odd when they could just move it all to the cloud now (which i guess they did with itunes match, but even that's weird since they might as well just do direct mp3 uploads at this point, space is cheap)

You can disable that so nothing pops up. On MacOS some things are managed in the Music app, others in finder.

And iTunes Match does do mp3 uploads. If your library has a song that iTunes doesn't have a match for, it uploads your file to the cloud so you can access it.

You're right in that syncing stuff with iTunes is not always necessary and uncommon these days, but there's still legit reasons to do so.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Need a way to sync my custom ringtones!

Not that I've used calling on iPad in forever cause it’s still(?) a full screen modal alert that interrupts everything when someone calls.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FCKGW posted:

Having to put a case on an iPad is even stupider than the mandatory phone case situation we have now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You don’t have to put a case on it, you can always just ignore the bump.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Some of you are really irrationally mad about a camera bump

iPad Pro keyboard case will fix that problem for you

I’m sure you’ll find something else to complain about though

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrBond posted:

Some of you are really irrationally mad about a camera bump

iPad Pro keyboard case will fix that problem for you

I’m sure you’ll find something else to complain about though

Yeah, like the fact that it isn’t rendered useless when my iPhone isn’t in hand

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FCKGW posted:

You don’t have to put a case on it, you can always just ignore the bump.

Using a apple pencil with a naked ipad pro is annoying as it will be wobbly... That's my main crux with ipad pros, every now and then i keep my ipad naked (esp in the summer to slightly improve thermals) and having to get some spacers on the ipad to properly jot down stuff is some next gen cargo cult

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

japtor posted:

Need a way to sync my custom ringtones!

Not that I've used calling on iPad in forever cause it’s still(?) a full screen modal alert that interrupts everything when someone calls.

I haven't done it on any of my devices in years but is that still a thing with iCloud Music Library on? Drag and drop is kind of hosed, so is there a way with the latest iOS/iTunes/Finder?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SlowBloke posted:

Using a apple pencil with a naked ipad pro is annoying as it will be wobbly... That's my main crux with ipad pros, every now and then i keep my ipad naked (esp in the summer to slightly improve thermals) and having to get some spacers on the ipad to properly jot down stuff is some next gen cargo cult

Apple should sell a pack of 3 stick-on bumpers so one can use their iPad on a flat surface.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
In many ways I think the argument shows a lack of imagination on the part of some people. "I can't think of a reason why someone would want a camera in an iPad Pro" is not the same thing as "There is no need for cameras on the iPad Pro."

I use my camera on the pro all the damned time while at home and I'd be super annoyed if it were gone. Additionally I can imagine that eventually Xcode will be running on it natively and it'll be a useful test bed. It already seems like Apple is positioning it as an interesting suggestion for mounting on a tripod for picturing/movie-ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

That can sense IR