Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

This is my first time buying a Dell. Supposedly this thing came with McAfee and Office subscriptions. Do I have to worry about auto renewal? I'd really like to just deactivate them immediately.

Unless you explicitly gave them your billing information, no.
You can either uninstall them from the control panel if you don't want to use them or just do a system reset to get a clean version of Windows on there.

If you do a system reset I would recommend installing the Dell SupportAssist software because it does deliver some important software like BIOS fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My MAX-17 is shipping today!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

xgalaxy posted:

This is my first time buying a Dell. Supposedly this thing came with McAfee and Office subscriptions. Do I have to worry about auto renewal? I'd really like to just deactivate them immediately.

The subscriptions will not auto-renew, but you should really be using the Fresh Start function to get rid of the Dell bloatware and reset to a Windows 10 clean install.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Really would like some more info on the 17 like... Even a release date? Or maybe some benchmarks

It's June timeframe for the release date and around $1500 for the base model.

Some lucky reviewers did get their hands on the XPS 17 but couldn't publish actual benchmarks due to laptops being pre-production models.

So I imagine it will be mid/late June until we get benchmarks on the product model.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

xgalaxy posted:

When I bought my zephyrus from best buy they had an option for 3 years of mcaffe anti-virus pre installed! With a checked checkbox, immediately unchecked it with the swiftness, thanks best buy, seriously.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 26, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Looking for some general advice on a Thinkpad purchase this year.
I have 100000 JPY (just under 1000$ USD) to spend on a laptop this year for work.

Looking at current configurations and pricing, I could get a New T495 (Ryzen 5 3500U, 8GB Ram, 300 nit screen), a refurb eBay 6th Gen X1 Carbon (i5 8250U, 8GB Ram, FHD screen), or wait and see what the pricing on the Ryzen T14 is going to be later this year. The intel T14 will likely be over my budget for the time being.
I’m currently using an x230 and it’s painfully slow, but I’m getting by if waiting for Ryzen 4000 would be worth it.

Thanks thread!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pegnose Pete posted:

Looking for some general advice on a Thinkpad purchase this year.
I have 100000 JPY (just under 1000$ USD) to spend on a laptop this year for work.

Looking at current configurations and pricing, I could get a New T495 (Ryzen 5 3500U, 8GB Ram, 300 nit screen), a refurb eBay 6th Gen X1 Carbon (i5 8250U, 8GB Ram, FHD screen), or wait and see what the pricing on the Ryzen T14 is going to be later this year. The intel T14 will likely be over my budget for the time being.
I’m currently using an x230 and it’s painfully slow, but I’m getting by if waiting for Ryzen 4000 would be worth it.

Thanks thread!

The Lenovo T495 is a very fine business grade laptop. The Ryzen 5 is speedy and a great deal for the price. Keep in mind the T490 has a nicer display and somewhat faster CPU and might be worth waiting for a sale if you aren't going to buy tomorrow, but you will be very happy with the T495 too.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The Lenovo T495 is a very fine business grade laptop. The Ryzen 5 is speedy and a great deal for the price. Keep in mind the T490 has a nicer display and somewhat faster CPU and might be worth waiting for a sale if you aren't going to buy tomorrow, but you will be very happy with the T495 too.

The T490 with the QHD screen and dedicated GPU would be ideal but even stripping the ram and SSD down to the lowest cost is pretty far over my budget right now. I can upgrade stuff by myself if I go over budget, but the machine itself has to stay below 1000.
Maybe a black friday deal or something would bring this configuration down lower, it might be worth waiting for.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pegnose Pete posted:

The T490 with the QHD screen and dedicated GPU would be ideal but even stripping the ram and SSD down to the lowest cost is pretty far over my budget right now. I can upgrade stuff by myself if I go over budget, but the machine itself has to stay below 1000.
Maybe a black friday deal or something would bring this configuration down lower, it might be worth waiting for.

Lenovo had the T490 for $800 at the beginning of this month, so there are deals if you're willing to wait a while until a deal shows up again. But you would be very happy with the AMD T495 too, which is a great value for what you're getting. The differences between the two models are pretty minor and the T series build quality is quite good in both cases.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 27, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Lenovo had the T490 for $800 at the beginning of this month, so there are deals if you're willing to wait a while until a deal shows up again. But you would be very happy with the AMD T495 too, which is a great value for what you're getting. The differences between the two models are pretty minor and the T series build quality is quite good in both cases.

I should have mentioned, I am located in Japan so the deals are a bit different. Usually on Black Friday here they will put the previous year's T4XX on sale though.
I'm curious about Ryzen 4000 performance as well. I won't be doing any strenuous gaming on the machine but it would be nice to have a bit of headroom for high res videos or some light gaming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm curious about Ryzen 4000 performance as well. I won't be doing any strenuous gaming on the machine but it would be nice to have a bit of headroom for high res videos or some light gaming.

AMD with new Ryzen 4000s laptop CPUs delivered a bad surprise to Intel for both performance and value.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 27, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Jebus whoever bought this CTO Alienware M17x back in 2009 decked it the gently caress out

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-TjJ3ZjNFejZEZi95T3VXelpVaEhxQT090/overview

Lol they bought name plate engraving. Can't wait to see what it was. Yes I bought it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok related. What forums should I check out for putting non validated MXM GPUs into Dell/Alienware laptops? I think there's a bunch of compatibility issues I'm probably not aware of besides the MXM form factor and power limits. Like vbios versions are a thing? It doesn't just work like on a desktop?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Jebus whoever bought this CTO Alienware M17x back in 2009 decked it the gently caress out

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-TjJ3ZjNFejZEZi95T3VXelpVaEhxQT090/overview

Lol they bought name plate engraving. Can't wait to see what it was. Yes I bought it.

Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BR-R, DVD+-RW, CD-RW )

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

can you tell if theres any options the guy didnt take?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's actually pretty great Dell logs system configs at point of sale that you can pull up with the service tag. Great for buying used laptops with unknown specs because the buyer is ignorant, lazy or system is broken.

I like how "Windows Style, RSS feeds, Automatic Updates and Wallpapers" all have a Dell part number associated.

Also lol the system recovery disc was called the "Respawn DVD" loving hubris.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 28, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Statutory Ape posted:

can you tell if theres any options the guy didnt take?

Maybe some external accessories like mice, 2nd display, carry bag. But as far as internal stuff it looks like its all there although I think the recycler(s) which this passed through before I bought it pulled the SSDs which is fine and not a huge loss as SATA SSDs are a dime a dozen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Plz post pics when it arrives, also curious about the custom engraving. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be a butterfly tramp stamp or something

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My bet is the engraving is some gamer bullshit from 2009. I would be so delighted for a tramp stamp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like the base Dell G5 SE is a pretty good price/performance bargain (just don't load it up to those $1200 variants). The Radeon GPU performs about the same as an RTX 2060.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6AAqd4Lno

You can tell the exterior physical design PAINS Dave though (watch him wince when he pops the bottom plate back on.) I agree, what in the ever-loving hell were they thinking with that design? It's not just that it's cheap, it's like they make every design choice they could to make it look even cheaper.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i guess they wanted to really remind everybody that its a cheap laptop

there are also a fair amount of people that rail against the uh, gamer aesthetic. so lmao heres your budget non gamery option

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel like 90s style trends (across a bunch of industries) are starting to be pushed hard by companies and they really need to knock that poo poo off. 90s styling was trash.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok related. What forums should I check out for putting non validated MXM GPUs into Dell/Alienware laptops? I think there's a bunch of compatibility issues I'm probably not aware of besides the MXM form factor and power limits. Like vbios versions are a thing? It doesn't just work like on a desktop?

AFAIK, MXM boards should at most, require a BIOS flash.

I link you to my one recent claim to fame, where I sent an MXM Quadro M2000M, (Generally speaking, the last standardized workstation card that Nvidia chose to provide MXM reference designs for, before they moved to their current paradigm of soldering everything to the mainboard and removing the ability to upgrade) to Wendell over at Level 1, to see if it would work in one of those ASRock Deskminis, because it wasn't working when I put it into the Ivy Bridge M4800 that I was trying to upgrade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXF7_cbdPHQ

I'll save you the having to watch the thing. Turns out what I had obtained was an MXM module meant to go into HP laptops, and HP laptops store the vBIOS on the mainboard, right alongside the system BIOS, so when I plugged the MXM board into my M4800, obviously, no matter what I did, nothing happened, because the thing was essentially lobotomized. A quick flash later, and it worked, though I believe Wendell said there were some wonky things specifically with the ASRock Deskmini like, you can't use one of the outputs or something and have to pipe output through the onboard or something like that, which is probably gonna not be an issue for another laptop.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok specifically I'm trying to upgrade a Dell/Alienware M17x (R1). Seems like just asking for trouble to store the vbios not on the card. So the fix for you was to refresh the card or the mainboard? How?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We had to flash the card. There was no firmware on the GPU. HP stores the vBIOS on the mainboard, so the BIOS chips on the board just sit empty forever in an HP laptop. Therefore, for it to work on any other system, it needed its own vBIOS.

We used a copy of NVFlash off TechPowerUp, we also found the appropriate vBIOS there as well.

But hey, plug it in and give it a shot, first. If the MXM board didn't come out of an HP system, it could work fine from the word go.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well testing costs time and money :homebrew:

I could have bought so many consoles with all the computer project money I've spent. It's not the destination, its the journey.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the base Dell G5 SE is a pretty good price/performance bargain (just don't load it up to those $1200 variants). The Radeon GPU performs about the same as an RTX 2060.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6AAqd4Lno

You can tell the exterior physical design PAINS Dave though (watch him wince when he pops the bottom plate back on.) I agree, what in the ever-loving hell were they thinking with that design? It's not just that it's cheap, it's like they make every design choice they could to make it look even cheaper.

I don't really see why you would ever go for the Dell G5 SE over spending a little more on the Lenovo Legion 5 series. The build quality is so much better, plus the Legion 5 has double the storage and a 120Hz display. You don't get the higher refresh rate display with Dell unless you spend $1200.

Also not seeing where the Radeon 5600M competes with the RTX 2060. Reviews seem to indicate it's more on par with the 1660 Ti.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 28, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't really see why you would ever go for the Dell G5 SE over spending a little more on the Lenovo Legion Series 5. The build quality so much better.

GPU. The Legion 5 configurations start with a 1650 and only go up to a 1650Ti and that model is $1199.99. Again, once you get to the $1200 mark, you might as well buy the G14.

The Radeon that the G5 SE is at GTX2060 level (and is sometimes closer to 2070), that's going to pretty soundly trounce the 1650Ti for almost $400 less.

Edit: The 60hz panel is going to be replaced with a 120hz panel later this summer for the same base price.

Also not seeing where the Radeon 5600M competes with the RTX 2060. Reviews seem to indicate it's more on par with the 1660 Ti.

Just going by the review of that device. I'm going to expect that the SmartShift has something to do with it, boosting the GPU more than you would normally get from a nvidia setup.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 28, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

buffbus posted:

I believe they are called carbon because they use carbon fiber. Most laptops in this price range do still use magnesium for the frame and bottom panel though. Guessing a mix of the two.

To follow up, I'm guessing that the carbon fiber fabrication workflow is vacuum bagging, in which carbon fiber sheets are impregnated with a resin, formed to a mold under vacuum, and let cure in that position. So it is plastic, but it's got dramatically improved mechanical characteristics.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So if form factor isn't a consideration, how does the G5 SE stack up to the Legion 5?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Intruder posted:

So if form factor isn't a consideration, how does the G5 SE stack up to the Legion 5?

No direct comparisons yet since I don't think anyone has reviewed the Legion 5 yet, but...

quote:

On the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark (Highest, 1080p), the Dell G5 15 SE averaged 45 fps, falling short of the 47-fps mainstream gaming laptop average. It matched the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti in the Omen 15 (45 fps), while the RTX 2060 GPU in Zephyrus G14 nailed 49 fps and the Legion Y545’s own GTX 1660 Ti got 50 fps.

The Dell G5 15 SE hit 83 fps on the Hitman benchmark (Ultra, 1080p), once again landing below the category average (85 fps). It did manage to slide past the Omen 15 (78 fps), but not the Zephyrus G14 (87 fps) or the Legion Y545 (95 fps).

On the Grand Theft Auto V benchmark, the Dell G5 15 SE got 56 fps, which made it past the category average (62 fps). The Omen 15 (60 fps) and Legion Y545 (62 fps) did slightly better, while the Zephyrus G14 (115 fps) excelled.

The Dell G5 15 SE finally took a victory, nailing 46 fps on Metro: Exodus benchmark (Ultra, 1080p), surpassing the average mainstream gaming laptop (40 fps) as well as the Zephyrus G14 (41 fps), Omen 15 (40 fps) and Legion Y545 (41 fps).

So, it trades blows with a 1660ti (full laptop) and an RTX 2060 MAX-Q. The 1650ti in the top model of the Legion 5 is going to be a full step below all of this.

You can see though just how much variability there is within the same graphics card with the Omen scoring 10% lower than the Y545. That's why the Legion 5 benchmark is a little bit of a wildcard yet since we don't know what the thermal situation is like. One big advantage an all Ryzen setup has though is the ability to dynamically allocate the overall power allotment to the CPU or GPU depending on what's in more demand at any one point in time.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 29, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

No direct comparisons yet since I don't think anyone has reviewed the Legion 5 yet, but...

So, it trades blows with a 1660ti (full laptop) and an RTX 2060 MAX-Q. The 1650ti in the top model of the Legion 5 is going to be a full step below all of this.

You can see though just how much variability there is within the same graphics card with the Omen scoring 10% lower than the Y545. That's why the Legion 5 benchmark is a little bit of a wildcard yet since we don't know what the thermal situation is like. One big advantage an all Ryzen setup has though is the ability to dynamically allocate the overall power allotment to the CPU or GPU depending on what's in more demand at any one point in time.

The stock Omen only has 8GB of RAM which hobbles it in SOTR. I’m installing it in my Omen (that I put 32GB of RAM in) to compare how it would work on most 1660Ti laptops which usually have 16. Anything past 16 doesn’t really matter, i have 16 GB sitting empty while I play, so performance should be functionally the same.

E:Oh, thought the Y545 was a different config, nevermind then. I thought that was a 2060 Max Q laptop

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2020

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop with an SSD OS drive with 103 GB and an HDD with 931 available GB. I've noticed more and more that my loading tends to be slower than most other computers for graphics intensive games like R6 Siege, Total War Warhammer 2, Resident Evil 2, Pathologic 2, and so on. Loading up the campaign in Total War Warhammer 2 takes 5 minutes sometimes, and graphics pop in is a very commmon sight in most graphics intensive games. I've read that using an SSD drive instead would make a huge difference. Is it possible to just add an ssd along with my other drives, and if that is not possible then would replacing either the HDD drive with an SSD with equal or more storage space be a worthwhile investment

Edit: Also my laptop tends to get really hot and loud. It's not that big of an issue with headphones and the keyboard doesn't get too uncomfortable to use most of the time but it's still not ideal. Would an SSD help with these issues?

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 29, 2020

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My surface pro 3 fell and the screen is super hosed up cracked but still functional. I'm thinking of buying a replacement kit. What are some other cool mods I can do to my surface pro if I'm gonna be loving around with it and replacing the screen?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

My surface pro 3 fell and the screen is super hosed up cracked but still functional. I'm thinking of buying a replacement kit. What are some other cool mods I can do to my surface pro if I'm gonna be loving around with it and replacing the screen?

You could probably pop in a larger SSD if you can find one in the tiny rear end mSATA format. Otherwise there's not a whole lot you can do--maybe swap the thermal compound for some better stuff? The whole thing is glued together, making it a massive pain to do anything with, but I assume you already figured that out.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop with an SSD OS drive with 103 GB and an HDD with 931 available GB. I've noticed more and more that my loading tends to be slower than most other computers for graphics intensive games like R6 Siege, Total War Warhammer 2, Resident Evil 2, Pathologic 2, and so on. Loading up the campaign in Total War Warhammer 2 takes 5 minutes sometimes, and graphics pop in is a very commmon sight in most graphics intensive games. I've read that using an SSD drive instead would make a huge difference. Is it possible to just add an ssd along with my other drives, and if that is not possible then would replacing either the HDD drive with an SSD with equal or more storage space be a worthwhile investment

Edit: Also my laptop tends to get really hot and loud. It's not that big of an issue with headphones and the keyboard doesn't get too uncomfortable to use most of the time but it's still not ideal. Would an SSD help with these issues?

Sounds like this is extreme thermal throttling more than anything else

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Your laptop supports 1x NVMe PCIe m.2 SSD and 1x 2.5" SATA drive. You can upgrade either/both of them--the Evo 960 or ADATA XPG 8200 Pro are good options for the NVMe, and the WD Blue SSD is a good option for the 2.5" slot. Pick the capacity and price that you're comfortable with. You cannot add a third drive, as there's no slot for it.

And, yes, loading games off a SSD instead of a 5400RPM laptop HDD will make a massive difference.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I know I'm probably gonna see higher Temps cuz it's a small form factor but I'm getting zephyrus g14 cpu Temps at like 99 peaks with averages in the low 90s high 80s while playing doom eternal of all things, not even running any stress tests and theres a window ac unit in the room. seems crazy high, gonna try undervolting I guess when I get off work, it's the 4900hs btw

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So I know I'm probably gonna see higher Temps cuz it's a small form factor but I'm getting zephyrus g14 cpu Temps at like 99 peaks with averages in the low 90s high 80s while playing doom eternal of all things, not even running any stress tests and theres a window ac unit in the room. seems crazy high, gonna try undervolting I guess when I get off work, it's the 4900hs btw

Not sure if it's kosher to post links to another forum, but quite a lot of people have been reporting high temps with the G14 over at Notebookreview. It's kind of a lot to go through, but there may be some tweaks you can do posted in the NBR owners lounge which is a pretty active thread:

E: whoops linked the last page, been following the thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-owners-lounge.831777/

With that said, average of high 80s / low 90s doesn't really sound that unusual to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Can I use any 135w adaptor with that fits into the charging port of my x1 extreme gen 2? I snapped the tip off my current charger where it plugs into the laptop and I am having a very hard time getting the exact model that cane with my Lenovo from them. They are either sold out or backlogged by 6 weeks which is less than ideal