Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

It's great that the tweet itself says exactly what he thinks about attracting new voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

trickybiscuits posted:

It's not like nobody has ever done a funny scene of a woman getting beat up before. There's the long line of people waiting to slap the hysterical woman in Airplane!.
I know it wasn't intended as such, but when I first saw it when I was basically a kid, I thought the whole joke there was that it was making fun of the prevalent idea of "doing violence to a woman will definitely calm her down!", which is why the violence down the line grew more obvious and the woman's hysterics only got worse as she was struck.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Loomer posted:

I do want to clarify that I’m not saying it isn’t transphobic, just that the read at the time for me was of it all as a joke on Matt Berry’s character being a bigoted lunatic who ruined his literal perfect relationship by being an absurdly over the top dickhead. It’s definitely transphobic stuff, especially with Glinner involved, but because of the style of humour that element slipped under the radar and got mixed into the humour of the Reynolds character.

No worries, I don't think anyone thought you were giving it a pass and I completely get where you are coming from.

For me, it happened to be something that hit me quite hard at the time and I've never forgotten that reaction I had. It was something that stuck in my mind and perhaps made me aware about some of the thoughtless prejudices that trans people faced and that I should be consciously aware of them.

Plus, it turns out there are lots of awesome trans goons that I have encountered since then and it makes me more angry with this turd as time goes on.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Moo the cow posted:

A later episode has Roy being sexually-assaulted and mocked for it and it only confirmed the previous conclusion.

I recently caught two episodes of the IT Crowd on Pluto TV, I saw the whole series in the past and had fond memories of it. But the episodes I happened to watch that day were the one with the trans woman and then one where they go to a musical called "Gay". Both of these episodes aged very badly and I started to wonder if the whole show was like this or if I just happened to catch the worst two episodes. But, after reading this line I'm willng to bet the show is way more problematic than I remember.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

How much hell can a governor of a given state reign down on a business headquartered within it?

Gross Dude posted:

I recently caught two episodes of the IT Crowd on Pluto TV, I saw the whole series in the past and had fond memories of it. But the episodes I happened to watch that day were the one with the trans woman and then one where they go to a musical called "Gay". Both of these episodes aged very badly and I started to wonder if the whole show was like this or if I just happened to catch the worst two episodes. But, after reading this line I'm willng to bet the show is way more problematic than I remember.

I tried to rewatch it maybe three years ago? and ended up skipping a lot of episodes because of how much they played into lazy jokes about lack of masculinity and women be doing frivolous things.

And right now I'm rewatching Avatar: the Last Airbender and it also has jokes that boil down to womanliness= weakness because that's where we were in the aughts. So I'm less inclined to look at IT Crowd as the sign that Linehan was awful all along rather than a product of it's time that doesn't get to grow, unlike actual person Graham Linehan who is probably just the most notable of the snarky, misanthropic, British Islander comedians who are unhappy that 'I hate everyone equally' is no longer justification for spreading bigotry.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Gross Dude posted:

I think there are good episodes but there's a lot that aged poorly. The Aunt Irma episode (where Jenn is on her period and haha, women are irrational and angry when they are on the rag amiright), all the sexual harassment stuff with Douglas, jokes about misunderstanding what the Vagina Monologues are, just lots of tiny problematic elements

there wolf posted:

I tried to rewatch it maybe three years ago? and ended up skipping a lot of episodes because of how much they played into lazy jokes about lack of masculinity and women be doing frivolous things.

Yeah it's a lot of this

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

christmas boots posted:

Speaking of Always Sunny, even though it’s still kind of an uncomfortable episode and one the cast said they probably wouldn’t make if they could do it all again, it did this same joke a lot better imo.

I think the reason Always Sunny did it better is because it made it very clear that Mac was the idiot and his reactions to having a trans girlfriend were childish and self-destructive. Like there was no way in hell anyone could ever assume that the joke was anything other than "Mac is an idiot who's letting something cosmetic get in the way of being with someone that he really gets along with and enjoys being with." The joke isn't that his girlfriend gets beaten up or suffers, if I remember right she actually soldiers on despite his idiocy and is generally portrayed as being happy and functional compared to the main cast.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

sugar mouse posted:

Also, beware metal falling from the sky.

Dont worry, they got this
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1264749367765815297

Get ready for it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265427539008380928

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lmao at Trump spending energy on potential voter fraud in loving California of all places.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

letthereberock posted:

It’s a weird comparison maybe - but GLs behavior reminds me of that guy 15 years ago who decided to make it his life’s goal to ruin a dry cleaning business after they lost his pants. He went so far with it he ended up ruining his own life, it’s a fascinating story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung

There seems to be this condition some people get where some small, random perceived offense against them causes them to snap to a point where they can’t think about anything else.

Instead of going over why Gahan Linebarger is a shithead for the ten millionth time, everyone should be reading this story. It’s nuts. Pay special attention to the part where they offer him $12,000 for his pants, and he says no.

Also, except for the dry cleaners, literally everyone in the story is a lawyer. The presiding judge is a lawyer. The pants guy is a lawyer, and a judge. The wife he is in the process of divorcing while this is going on is a lawyer. Her lawyer is a lawyer. It’s lawyers all the way down.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Isn't it pretty standard for a company to terminate your account once you start making threats, legal or otherwise, to them? :getin:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

am I so out of touch?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Guilty posted:

Glinner is 100% wrong a complete piece of poo poo. That being said, one of the world's leading queer theorists Michel Foucault tried to make a case that gay desires were rooted in trans bodies in his critique of Zambinella. It's only in fairly recent writings (say post 1990's) that are arguing for a theory of trans people existing independently of homo/hetero divide. Emma Heaney's New Woman was published in 2017.

That being said, I'm a thousand percent sure Foucault would re-evaluate his writings as all good theorists do as new information comes up and if a 90 year old grandmother could change her thinking and beliefs because she's grown smarter, anyone can.

Glinner is 100% wrong and a complete piece of poo poo.

I'm not sure if you're claiming otherwise, but writings on trans people date back to at least the turn of the 20th century. Berlin had a burgeoning trans acceptance movement rooted in the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft in the wake of World War I, which even carried out sexual reassignment surgeries, but which ended rather abrubtly in the 40s. None of the research carried out there survived, but I suspect the idea that being trans and being gay were unrelated had been put to paper somewhere.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
drat it's weird how they're "completely stifling free speech" yet I can still completely read it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/FTI_US/status/1265348185201008641

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1265368185609555973

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the reason Always Sunny did it better is because it made it very clear that Mac was the idiot and his reactions to having a trans girlfriend were childish and self-destructive. Like there was no way in hell anyone could ever assume that the joke was anything other than "Mac is an idiot who's letting something cosmetic get in the way of being with someone that he really gets along with and enjoys being with." The joke isn't that his girlfriend gets beaten up or suffers, if I remember right she actually soldiers on despite his idiocy and is generally portrayed as being happy and functional compared to the main cast.

It's been years since I saw the episode but I remember finding it mean-spirited and transphobic at the time. I thought the other guys were telling him that it was gross to date a woman with a penis. And I thought they had shots that focused on her penis bulge in her pants as the joke.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Instead of going over why Gahan Linebarger is a shithead for the ten millionth time, everyone should be reading this story. It’s nuts. Pay special attention to the part where they offer him $12,000 for his pants, and he says no.

Also, except for the dry cleaners, literally everyone in the story is a lawyer. The presiding judge is a lawyer. The pants guy is a lawyer, and a judge. The wife he is in the process of divorcing while this is going on is a lawyer. Her lawyer is a lawyer. It’s lawyers all the way down.

It reminds me of the case where the lady decided her kid's teacher had insulted her child so she and her (literal, actual, cuck) husband planted a huge amount of weed in the teachers car and called the cops. This turned around on her and blew up: her marriage, her relationship with her fireman boyfriend, and her husbands very successful business. P. Sure both her and her husband are in jail now.

A few additional notes:

She wrote self insert crazy overblown revenge fiction for years before this, like, more than one story.

The teacher's great insult was telling the mom that the kid was sometimes a little slow when getting on/off the bus.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure if you're claiming otherwise, but writings on trans people date back to at least the turn of the 20th century. Berlin had a burgeoning trans acceptance movement rooted in the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft in the wake of World War I, which even carried out sexual reassignment surgeries, but which ended rather abrubtly in the 40s. None of the research carried out there survived, but I suspect the idea that being trans and being gay were unrelated had been put to paper somewhere.

I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but for anyone else who doesn't already know:

When we condemn the Nazis for burning books, this research is the books they were burning.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Isn't it pretty standard for a company to terminate your account once you start making threats, legal or otherwise, to them? :getin:

I wish they would. The mass exodus of CHUDS away from Twitter would be amazing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

https://youtu.be/ygNbwga6ULA

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Why does "if you don't like it, get out!!!" never apply to social media when it comes to CHUDs.

Surely the free market can provide with a better alternative for Twitter if it's so corrupt and bad.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It reminds me of the case where the lady decided her kid's teacher had insulted her child so she and her (literal, actual, cuck) husband planted a huge amount of weed in the teachers car and called the cops. This turned around on her and blew up: her marriage, her relationship with her fireman boyfriend, and her husbands very successful business. P. Sure both her and her husband are in jail now.

A few additional notes:

She wrote self insert crazy overblown revenge fiction for years before this, like, more than one story.

The teacher's great insult was telling the mom that the kid was sometimes a little slow when getting on/off the bus.

Yes, that one was also completely insane. I think that one only wrapped up a handful of years ago by my old-man reckoning. Holy poo poo, what utter scumpigs. As I recall, the woman remained completely unapologetic, and when we learn more about her, it becomes clear she is a legitimate psychopath.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jjack229 posted:

It's been years since I saw the episode but I remember finding it mean-spirited and transphobic at the time. I thought the other guys were telling him that it was gross to date a woman with a penis. And I thought they had shots that focused on her penis bulge in her pants as the joke.

I mean the show pretty well establishes that the gang are all huge pieces of poo poo and you should always assume that they're wrong about everything.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Framed, in case people are curious about the story. It's amazing, both in what these crazy people tried to pull off and that the cops actually put forth an investigation. But the victim was a white woman, so that's why they gave a poo poo.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RootsOfCombat/status/1263655617287290881

I'm curious about the thought process that led to filming this pasty gently caress shadowboxing an imaginary 12 year old.

God, this dude would get dragged in a real fight. Just, why would you do this? He looks like me and my friends when we played Mortal Kombat in our backyards at like 9 years old

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 06:09 on May 27, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm curious about the thought process that led to filming this pasty gently caress shadowboxing an imaginary 12 year old.

God, this dude would get dragged in a real fight. Just, why would you do this? He looks like me and my friends when we played Mortal Kombat in our backyards at like 9 years old

He's a cop, there is a good chance the only person he punches is his wife.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Gross Dude posted:

The gay musical episode is brilliant just because of the "willies, willies, I love willies (I love willies!)" guy going full chew-the-scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4EDYVupd0A&t=114s

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Welcome to the new normal

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lmao covid-1984

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Zipperelli. posted:

https://twitter.com/T4RIG/status/1265315026765840384

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

luxury handset posted:

urinals are vastly preferable to the piss trough, or the immense challenge of the double-sided piss trough

There's a sports bar in the SF Castro district that has a trough with an angled mirror.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Inceltown posted:

He's a cop, there is a good chance the only person he punches is his wife.
https://twitter.com/_ibrahim00_/status/1264971983311298560

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zipperelli. posted:

After you finished watching Real Steel

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

there wolf posted:

And right now I'm rewatching Avatar: the Last Airbender and it also has jokes that boil down to womanliness= weakness because that's where we were in the aughts.

?

I'm having real trouble figuring out what jokes you're talking about? There's parts where Sokka makes jokes like that but they always loving backfire in his face almost immediately. He disrespects the Kyoshi warriors because they're girls and get's his rear end handed to him, aside from Aang (who's the last airbender left) all the best benders are women and they're better than him at each individual bending skill, Toph, Katara and Azula are all able to do things he literally isn't capable of despite being the Avatar.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I love a simple story in three parts.

https://twitter.com/Slade/status/1265310200866750470

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think it 100% fits in the thread but if it doesn't then I'm the moron and people can then laugh at me. Regardless, I have to ask because I'm so lost.

https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1264992035053789184 :nws:

Why did Lady Gaga post a photoshop of herself with boobs bigger than her head?

She looks like someone's very horny Skyrim mod companion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think it 100% fits in the thread but if it doesn't then I'm the moron and people can then laugh at me. Regardless, I have to ask because I'm so lost.

https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1264992035053789184 :nws:

Why did Lady Gaga post a photoshop of herself with boobs bigger than her head?

She looks like someone's very horny Skyrim mod companion.

https://twitter.com/BloodyMary4Gaga/status/1264992905455792128?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShanPeters96/status/1264995124083384328?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShanPeters96/status/1264996666349887490?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShanPeters96/status/1264998626092298240?s=20

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

sugar mouse posted:

Welcome to the new normal

Plot reveal of the Matrix 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

?

I'm having real trouble figuring out what jokes you're talking about? There's parts where Sokka makes jokes like that but they always loving backfire in his face almost immediately. He disrespects the Kyoshi warriors because they're girls and get's his rear end handed to him, aside from Aang (who's the last airbender left) all the best benders are women and they're better than him at each individual bending skill, Toph, Katara and Azula are all able to do things he literally isn't capable of despite being the Avatar.

When Aang accept the challenge to fight Toph in season 2, she says "do people really want to see two little girls fighting out here?" and the crowd goes ooooo because it's an insult to be called a little girl, especially if you aren't one. There's a couple of other ones I'm not going to bother digging up because it's all small poo poo and the whole point was even a very good show show that was very positive and thoughtful about female representation still had those little digs because no one really thought of that kind of humor on a critical level.